• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Leurocian: What "la" means

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sarphus

I'm assuming Rico is either chinese or he knows people who are. In Chinese, "la" is usually appended to silly sentences. As I understand it, it is used to signify that you are joking.

I asked one of my great aunt (a native chinese speaker) about this when a player in EQ said "Happy bird fly la" to me. I also heard them say something else that translates into an obscenity, so I won't mention it here...

So anyway... rico just puts la on the end of everything he says as something of a trademark, but the origin of what it actually means is definitely chinese. The conclusion I always came up with was that rico is generally trying to be witty and fun.

PS
My chinese aunt's name is literally "Fun", which I think is hillarious. If that was my name, I would run around going "WHEE!"

well anyway... I hope that clears things up a little. Rico, feel free to correct me if you actually use "la" for some other reason :)

la

L

Lunaticus

I am a firm believer that Rico uses the word "la" to pay homage to his most favoritest movie ever, The Sound of Music. Get it?? Doe Ray Me Fa So LAAAAAA Tee Doe!!!! I am clearly a genius. :gee:

E

Extra Value Meal

Hint! - It was widely used during the glory days of Thieves. And so was "danke" upon stealing from a mark.

AEowynSP

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jeeez not only did Rico drag several Siegers to OT but now he dragged several OTers to u Hell.
La!

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am betting it is just a mannerism with no significant meaning. Like the guy who always starts his posts with ... . Or how I often reply with a reverse-polyparismn statement.

K

Kiminality

I am betting it is just a mannerism with no significant meaning. Like the guy who always starts his posts with ...
I've often wondered about the "..."
Anyway, as I understand it, if has no significant meaning, as JC suggests, and Rico has been doing it since before UO was a twinkle in RG's eye.

J

jack flash

I'm assuming Rico is either chinese or he knows people who are. In Chinese, "la" is usually appended to silly sentences. As I understand it, it is used to signify that you are joking.

I asked one of my great aunt (a native chinese speaker) about this when a player in EQ said "Happy bird fly la" to me. I also heard them say something else that translates into an obscenity, so I won't mention it here...

So anyway... rico just puts la on the end of everything he says as something of a trademark, but the origin of what it actually means is definitely chinese. The conclusion I always came up with was that rico is generally trying to be witty and fun.

PS
My chinese aunt's name is literally "Fun", which I think is hillarious. If that was my name, I would run around going "WHEE!"

well anyway... I hope that clears things up a little. Rico, feel free to correct me if you actually use "la" for some other reason :)

la
Thank you for that, i must say, with more people adding that, it was getting to be a real pain in the cubes

good day to you

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I recall it is the first part of "later" after stealing something,but being a thief you never get a chance to finish the rest of the word.

D

Der Rock

PS

la
i bet ure are wrong at this.
it is more a kind of phrase.
it comes from French word "Voila"
it means in this cohesion like : " u get it" - " here you are" - "therefore"
in german like : " hast du´s" - "da hast du´s" -"siehste"- "darum"

btw.,i never heard that a chinese phrase made it in the western-colloquial language, la

:)

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Had a guildmate once in Malaysia, Polynesia, can't remember which
and she quite often used ...la at the end of her icq messages.
So as I've said before, I figure its a ethnic/territorial thing, like the Canadian Eh?
Interested to see what Rico says tho, hope he's reading :)

D

Der Rock

Had a guildmate once in Malaysia, Polynesia, can't remember which
and she quite often used ...la at the end of her icq messages.
So as I've said before, I figure its a ethnic/territorial thing, like the Canadian Eh?
Interested to see what Rico says tho, hope he's reading :)

Malaysia OR Polynesia ?
both together cant :)
there are culture and geographicle several 1000 miles between :)

and when u mean french-polynesia(marquesas for example), then my theory com closer :)

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOL
Didn't say there were close, I had mates originallly from each...Can't remember which one was this particular one ;)

D

Der Rock

LOL
Didn't say there were close, I had mates originallly from each...Can't remember which one was this particular one ;)
sry, i over read "cant remember", sry.

but why u hate mates from french, maybe they are to "sophisticated" ;)

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*grins*
communication problems here I reckon
I don't hate mates from French, in fact the guildmate that helped me most when I started out was French descent, living in Novia Scotia...hence the reference to Canadians. Not sure I really hate anyone, sometimes get disgusted with a few people tho! :mf_prop:

D

Der Rock

*grins*
communication problems here I reckon
I don't hate mates from French, in fact the guildmate that helped me most when I started out was French descent, living in Novia Scotia...hence the reference to Canadians. Not sure I really hate anyone, sometimes get disgusted with a few people tho! :mf_prop:

hahahahahha, i misread it again, but i found the bug i have, TO much coffee, i read to fast
:)

i think u mean NOVA Scotia (canada)
wow u have mates around the whole world i see, cant compete here,i never leaving the borders of europa at my peak times :)

S

Satanatra

Im kinda sure this has something to do with a persona named:

PEE WEE HERMAN.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Since people are asking... here's the explanation:

Why the "..." nonsense?

Well, it's simple. Long ago (in Internet terms anyway), there was a little corner of the net set aside for discussion on the game Ultima Online known as the UOSS UHall. In the beginning, the UHall was a dialy archiving threaded board with a small group of regular posters and all was good... except... the subject line was often times just a few character too short to get an entire idea posted as a title-only post. Because of this, I would often times need to complete a thought begun on the title line inside the post itself so used the two "..." to connect the two informing the viewer that more content that completed the title could be found inside. Over time, this simply became an ongoing habit that has continued to this day on certain boards.

It's as simple as that.

Generally it was used as a way to tie in the title line of a post with the body, now it's just a habit and mannerism.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I think you do it because you know it causes confusion as to why and know that it irritates many of us...

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
waited all morning for you to show up and all I get is they're all wrong??

sheeeesh

:lol:

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've used "...la" since 1988...long before I ever had an internet connection, or had heard of Ultima. That's all the information you folks get on the issue...la

T

Tazar

I've used "...la" since 1988...long before I ever had an internet connection, or had heard of Ultima. That's all the information you folks get on the issue...la
Sounds to me like instructions from an old typing class... where they teach you to put your initials at the bottom of each letter so everyone knows who typed it! Maybe Rico posts by dictating it to his personal assistant... rofl

Status
Not open for further replies.