• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Lets buy EALand from EA

D

DGLita

Then at least we could give it a sensible name.

Is this such a mad idea? If EA are prepared to shut it down, then why couldnt the dedicated players band together and buy it off them?

The game must be currently generating at least $1mil a year. What does anyone think about this?

G

Its a great idea.
Sadly... EA would never give up rights to any of their sims stuff.

D

DGLita

but this game has been distanced from Sims already.

Anyway, i want to pursue it with EA. Im not a dev by any means, but I do work in commercial banking so I have an understanding of how this could be bought from them.

K

kwills75TSO

It'll never work. A bunch of us tried this for another mmorpg called Auto Assault that took a dump just a year after it was released. EA would want way more than the community could scrounge up to pay for the copyright to the game, the code, the artwork and in game art, etc, etc. Even though EA owns the game Maxis still owns the copyrights to the code itself if this buyout went anything like AA did. So then you would have to buy out EA's share plus Maxis share of the IP rights. And for them to make up for the time, effort, and funding they put into this game they would have to get an arm and a leg for it. The bottom line is, it is all about bottom dollar in the gaming industry nowadays, you have to answer to your CEO and shareholders in this day and age.

And this is the exact reason why I'm now in college for C++ programming and game design. I'm tired of wasting money trying to find a cliche game that simply closes down as soon as they hit the red. Who else out here has C++ coding knowledge or experience in graphics and 3D modeling? We should all get together and make our own version of TSO.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Its a great idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm HELLO. They don't deserve this! They didn't make this, WILL WRIGHT DID IT!!

I just wish I could contact the great guy... anyone thinks so? Maybe he could resuce it.? Create Maxis II or sumething &lt;lol, I am weird&gt;

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Its a great idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm HELLO. They don't deserve this! They didn't make this, WILL WRIGHT DID IT!!

I just wish I could contact the great guy... anyone thinks so? Maybe he could resuce it.? Create Maxis II or sumething &lt;lol, I am weird&gt;

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't matter they own the rights. They own Sims... and there are about 1000 posts on here saying "My sims are sims" so they aren't going to let it go. I'll bet you that.

You want to go up against a big heartless corporation... go for it I'm all for that... I like a good fight... but... the little guy never wins.

I don't make the rules... its just how it is.

I

imported_Danny Dots

Sadly Jackie is right.

They are a big heartless money loving corporation and wouldn't even think about selling the rights of their game that they are shutting down to a player or players.

I like a good fight too though.
Let me know if I got to take out the baseball bat and megaphone.
We can take this one to the streets!

P

Pkmn_knight

<blockquote><hr>

It'll never work. A bunch of us tried this for another mmorpg called Auto Assault that took a dump just a year after it was released. EA would want way more than the community could scrounge up to pay for the copyright to the game, the code, the artwork and in game art, etc, etc. Even though EA owns the game Maxis still owns the copyrights to the code itself if this buyout went anything like AA did. So then you would have to buy out EA's share plus Maxis share of the IP rights. And for them to make up for the time, effort, and funding they put into this game they would have to get an arm and a leg for it. The bottom line is, it is all about bottom dollar in the gaming industry nowadays, you have to answer to your CEO and shareholders in this day and age.

And this is the exact reason why I'm now in college for C++ programming and game design. I'm tired of wasting money trying to find a cliche game that simply closes down as soon as they hit the red. Who else out here has C++ coding knowledge or experience in graphics and 3D modeling? We should all get together and make our own version of TSO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yay make a tso private server.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Yay make a tso private server.

[/ QUOTE ]Or go buy some land in Second Life, and code your own. I've seen a version of Pizza there, and there was a 'greening' type HUD that someone had made that simulated your needs.

I'm quite sure that it could be done given enough people wanting it to happen.

As for custom content... it's been there right since day 1.

I

imported_Danny Dots

<blockquote><hr>

who would buy this piece of [censored]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously not you.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]That's a good point - it's not like it would take away from the Sims franchise any.

Unfortunately, the TSO/EAL IP (intellectual property) is worth far more to EA than the game apparently was. I don't think they'd give it up for any price.

D

DGLita

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]That's a good point - it's not like it would take away from the Sims franchise any.

Unfortunately, the TSO/EAL IP (intellectual property) is worth far more to EA than the game apparently was. I don't think they'd give it up for any price.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may well be right, but stranger things have happened.

G

I am all for trying to figure out how to pull that off... I like most of the players have been plying since 2003... my time and heart strings are already ivested in it.

M

Mick Travis

I love the idea. I posted it as an aside in another thread, and there's already a whole thread about it. Silly me.

I don't think it's necessary to beforehand rule out the possibility that we might pull it off. Because it wasn't possible for one group of people to come to terms with one company under one set of circumstances, doesn't mean that it cannot be possible for another group of people to come to terms with another company under another set of circumstances. This kind of deal is done individually, not handed out like license numbers for a fixed price.

And there ARE reasons that this set of circumstances is different. Not the least of them being concerned with what in business-life is called immaterial assets. They're things like the well-known concept of good-will which can be very expensive in cool cash when companies are traded. In our case, let's look at public relations.

Firstly, don't underestimate how much of a part of Maxis' public image it is to be the enganged kind of company who really wants to break new ground in as many ways as possible. If the kind of hand-over we're talking about was done in a successfull way that made everybody happy, it would be another trophy for them to put on the shelf and boast about.

Secondly, it's a potential threat that it'll be a serious hit for them to take if this turns into a legend of the kind of e.g. how SILVERHEART was screwed over by EA. The fact that they made people invest a lot of money in game-money on the expectation that they could make them grow and then actually pull out a profit, makes it look bad that they without a moment's warning make all these game-money worthless. That was probably not the way they thought when it happened. The developers needed to come up with a way to make it attract more customers, and this is what they came up with. The decision to slam shut the treasure box was out of their hands. Still, in hindsight it doesn't look good. There would be a blow for Maxis to take, the only question is if they'd consider it hard enough to be significant.

Thirdly, the intellectual property isn't really worth that much. Maybe like around the value of selling Windows 95 on the market now. New games simply won't be made on that engine anymore in the leage they're interested in. If we got to run it, we couldn't turn it into anything that would be in direct competition with them.

So, there's something to win by Maxis by making this deal, there's something to loose by not making it, and nothing to lose by making it. Why wouldn't they be interested? It would be a win-win situation. I think they're smart guys.

There can be many practical matters to overcome but no project worth making doesn't have a few hurdles to get over. The only thing that's certain is that if we just do nothing, then nothing happens. So why not talk about it? I'm game.

G

Even *if* it were possible to purchase this game from EA the cost would be in the millions easily. Nobody in their right mind would attempt it. You have qabsolutely no clue s to how much work and machinery is involved in maintaining and keeping the game afloat.