• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Leaving pets below max slot

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Has anyone decided not to level certain pets to their max? For example, has anyone tried running a 2 slot fire steed + 3 slot fire steed? Perhaps a 2 slot frenzied + 3 1 slot frenzied ostards?

It seems most people just run multiple accounts concurrently with pets trained to their max slot.

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I got a maxed out small hellcat at 4 slots that tanks for my fresh 1slots, also a 3slot giant beetle for when they're 2slots. From there on they're tough enough to tank on their own :)

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I see little point in doing that. It's a bit sad and ironic that this publish on one hand made running multiple pets survivable ("As One" mastery), and at the same time obsoleted them again. A pack of hounds could probably still produce highest sustained single target DPS out there by a small margin, but this is offset by other fun bonuses trained pets can get.

Bearclaw

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I'm strongly considering leaving multiple pets below the max for a different reason than the reason the op listed.

For example, if I train a giant beetle and stop at 4 instead of 5, then I can ride the beetle to where ever I want to go. When I reach a hunting area, for example, I can dismount the beetle and jump on an ethy while I hunt with the beetle.

For me I just don't like traveling on foot, so ill probably stop at 4 most of the time. Its the same reason I never really hunted with a greater dragon before the publish. And yes, I know I could fly if I was a Garg, but I just don't want to be a garg.

Based on my calculations and estimated builds, It looks to me like I can have some pretty darn good pets at lvl 4 if I plan correctly, but I'm also not to far along with pet training and I'm already accustom to using pets that aren't up to the GD level.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm strongly considering leaving multiple pets below the max for a different reason than the reason the op listed.

For example, if I train a giant beetle and stop at 4 instead of 5, then I can ride the beetle to where ever I want to go. When I reach a hunting area, for example, I can dismount the beetle and jump on an ethy while I hunt with the beetle.

For me I just don't like traveling on foot, so ill probably stop at 4 most of the time. Its the same reason I never really hunted with a greater dragon before the publish. And yes, I know I could fly if I was a Garg, but I just don't want to be a garg.

Based on my calculations and estimated builds, It looks to me like I can have some pretty darn good pets at lvl 4 if I plan correctly, but I'm also not to far along with pet training and I'm already accustom to using pets that aren't up to the GD level.
Guess all these years of dragging around a GD have made me not care about being on foot...

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I see little point in doing that. It's a bit sad and ironic that this publish on one hand made running multiple pets survivable ("As One" mastery), and at the same time obsoleted them again. A pack of hounds could probably still produce highest sustained single target DPS out there by a small margin, but this is offset by other fun bonuses trained pets can get.
Only if they are pre patch. Hellhounds are, quite stupidly, 2 slot now.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I have not yet ran into a way to tilt that situation to a large advantage except for wanting a mount while waiting on a 4 slotter behind you. But then you will be sacrificing a fair amount of punch just to run little and wait a little. So far they seem to have struck a balance between what damage a 2 and a 3 slot pet would do in relation to a 5 slot pet... and that is with taking into account pack bonuses. But there are still some combinations I want to try before I rule it out completely.

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have pair trained 2to3 slot nightmares to hunt for 2 slot nightmares.
I have plan to train 1to2 slot lesser hiryu to hunt for 3 slot pets.

I have some old pets like nightmare, dread warhorse and bane dragon, which I do not plan to train because they are too good for their current slots count.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
2 slot lesser hiryu and a 3 slot rune beetle can be a real nice combo. Corruption, grasping claw, and onslaught drops the physical resist of any critter to incredibly low amounts.