• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

LA's Surprise Thursday Night Hunt, February 04, 2010 at 7pm central time !!

• Thread starter Dark Angel XXXX
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
D

Dark Angel XXXX

Due to some real life issues our regular Surprise Friday night has been changed to Thursday night this week. We will be meeting at West Britain Bank at 7pm central time. We had a great time last week and we all learned alot lol...So come out and join us for a blast of a time and help us collect those grey robes...
If there is any new players out there, we would love to have you join us. If you are in need of any supplies or insurance gold just let us know....
We will announce in game chat before hunt begins as a reminder.
See you all there :)

Delbrie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is gonna be an awsome hunt! I encourage players who will be participating in future hunts to complete any quests to the numerous dungeons ahead of time, cause you never know where we will be going and we would hate to have people not able to attend. Is a quest needed for the next hunt, i dunno. So get those quests completed otherwise you will be hearing about all the fun outside the dungeon while you are tasked with rez duty :p

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will do my best to make it again this week. Last week's hunt was amazing for this returning player who feels like a newbie all over again! Probably won't have time to complete any dungeon quests before then, so if the destination is quest-bound I will help with a little healing.

Baron Harkonnen

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let me start out by saying that this reply is not meant to be negative.

I joined in the hunt last Friday. I have just recently rejoined UO after about a 4-5 year break. Once UO is in your blood, it never leaves. I was excited to get into a group and my main focus was to learn from the current experienced players. New strategies, new monsters, new locations. I think the place we went was called the Crystal Dungeon? Not a very nice place. I beleive this was the first try at the Surprise hunt, and to be honest, I was a little disappointed. (Again, I am not being negative, I appreciate all who put the time in to do this.) Maybe, I was expecting the wrong thing out of the hunt?

Because this is a "Surprise" hunt, there is no time to research the location where the hunt will be. So I had no idea of what was expected of me, or what we were trying to accomplish. My main goal became to just try and stay alive, which was not accomplished. I was fine through the first 18 or so deaths, by about the 20th death I was getting discouraged, and by death 25 I was done. The only thing I was learning was how to play on a grey screen. I left the group without saying a thing. I am embarrassed about doing this. And would like to apoligize to all that I left hanging, in the group.

Each post concerning the Surprise Hunts, have emphasized the fact that you can join no matter what skill. No matter how new you are to the game. I am questioning that statement, if the hunts will be at the level that we did last week. It has been several years since I played, but my character is not a push-over. He is a Legendary Archer/Paladin. Death, after death, is even less fun for a new player.

Now this week, there is talk of needing to have quests completed to join in? I am just starting to figure out what quests are. And if this is a "Surprise" hunt, I will certainly not no what quests I should have completed.

I feel like I am rambling. I just wanted to express my feelings, and concerns in this post. The main thing is, I want the Hunt night to succeed. But, should this be focused towards more experienced players? Maybe, with some help a second new player/lower level group could be formed. This group might be more focused on teaching skills, and moving at a slower pace?

Please let me know if I am way off base?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Part of the problem last week is that the veterans that know the Prism of Light, and could have kept everyone alive, failed to show as planned. Those that knew some of the tricks did the best we could.

After you left, we finally got the keys for a peerless and went in, it was a bloodbath (note that characters familiar with this spawn can kill the boss in 5 minutes with 2-3 characters - we were far from it). However, we did finally kill it, and we ended up getting a ferret in a crystal and a Crimson Cincture, that the other new player won in a roll-off from the loot (usually, we try to break party, so each person gets their own loot, but things got complicated at the end, and it died before we realized it - I think its health bar was glitched, and was showing higher than it really was by that point).

This hunt will probably be for some place more tame. The Surprise hunts tend to be just that - surprises. They could be for a tougher area, it could be something simple like an Ilshenar spawn. The idea is to get people into areas that they are not familiar with, so they can learn about them. Like I said, it was unfortunate, but the people we knew to be pros at that particular dungeon failed to show, after hinting they'd be there (and they didn't know where we were going, either).

It looks like we might need to let a person or two in on the destination beforehand, to get an experienced guide (as opposed to one that knows the area, but isn't really equipped for it).

Delbrie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks to all who came out last night. We did oaks and had a blast!

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Once again, this old-time newbie had a great time learning from some of the great folks on LA. At least I was able to help out a little more than last week, but since my character is pretty young yet, he didn't have a lot of karma built up and that spelled his doom the second time we did the spawn. :)

Sampson, thanks so much for leading these hunts and for your generosity. I really appreciate both!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Sorry for missing the hunt last night, guys. I got stuck at a friend's house for 11 hours, trying to help him fix another friend's computer.

That other friend apparently was clueless about internet security, and was a sucker for every "Free virus scan" malware product in existance. We literally had to clean THOUSANDS of malware items off the computer, most of which claimed to be free AV/anti-spyware, including a half-dozen trojans, and we still had issues with one that the PC kept insisting was the legit AV for the machine, despite our uninstalling it and removing it from the registry manually. It took going to safe mode to get AVG to install, because of that interference - and there's still a bit of malware triggering fake system errors to reboot the machine, to try to stop real malware scans from completing (thank god for run: shutdown -a).

D

Dark Angel XXXX

Yes, we missed seeing you at the hunt....We did Lord Oaks a couple of times. Had a couple of new LA players with us. Think just about all of us lost alot of Karma lol....Glad you were able to help your friend with his pc....I hope you slapped his hand and told him not to go internet surfing so much lol.....

Keira

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Basara,

That is the life of a Windows user for sure. Thank GOD I use a Mac 99% and Windows 1% for UO only (on the same hardware). And that 1% uses Computer Associates product which is free from RoadRunner for subscribers.