• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Lag on these boards is getting worse??

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kinda guessing its that awefull WOW advert slowing everything down is there a way to stop the advert form flashing up on every page?

Leto

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For once I agree with you. Those stupid flash adds are really hogging my system, specially the LOTR one.

Littleblue

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really get annoyed with the ads that expand when they are hovered over. My mouse cursor always seems to be in that area when loading a new thread to read, and that silly ad starts taking up my screen.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's the price we pay for free boards. I'd be very happy to go back to paying $3.45 US to avoid all the Advertisements.

The same things holds true on other free sites I visit regularly (www.sportsline.com, www.msnbc.com, www.foxnews.com). All heavily use flash ads that really slow down their load times.

Littleblue

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Very true, Setnaffa. Although our load times might be a little longer, these forums are free for us all to enjoy. :)

I would be interested in the Stratics Plus program that was offered for awhile, or something similar if it ever becomes feasible in the future.

Blesh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Didn't they offer a lifetime stratics plus option for a one time fee? If they did, i feel bad for those people, since they paid good money and now have to deal with these ******** flash ads.

At least their not the stupid emoticon ones. you know the one i'm talking about. you roll over it and some annoying yellow face says "HEELLLOOOOO!!!!!!" in the most annoying voice ever.

Count thine blessings.

Leto

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't mind advertising in general and I fully apreciate the fact that without advertising half the internet wouldn't be there.
Every once in a while though a flash add comes along that's either just really huge or very poorly written and it hogs just about all of my system's resources. Right now it's the LOTR add doing that. I don't experience the same slowdown with any of the other flash adds, just the LOTR one.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you haven't already done so, try tweaking your display preferences in the User Control Panel. (Look under Options under Options & Settings.) You can change such things as how many of a thread's posts to display per page and whether or not to display signatures, avatars, and images. I believe the forum default is 100 posts per page.

T

tymbow

I don't mind ads to support a free service but this wholsesale move to flash ads is a pain (for anyone who doesn't block ads).

I've seen this at work on some of our older machines - most people have gotten into the habit of opening numerous tabs which may mean anything up to 10 or more flash instances running ads. Guess what happens to their machine? Even now I look at the tabs I have open in FF with ad blocking off and it's eating 340MB - kill the flash off and it drops to under 70MB. Advertisers wonder why people hate ads...

K

Kiminality

I used to have to block flash ads, on my old computer.
Loading up a page with three hulking great, singing and dancing flash ads would render my system pretty much completely unsuable.

Related note: Volunteer to help Stratics.
Staff don't get adverts ;)

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just use another browser for stratics. The lag is 100% Internet Explorer issues. People will complain and complain that firefox is the best thing since sliced bread but the ads are the real problem. They are made in a way that causes IE instability. Say what you want but IE is the most popular browser for numerous reasons. It can be modded just like any other and can perform like any other if you know what you are doing.

Just to make it easy on yourself I'd suggest google's chrome. Opera is also a very fine browser. Both run stratics without lag.