• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Keyboard Problem

S

Sweeney

Nevermind, I did a more general search and found the problem. Seems you can't not load the pointer device on startup, even with a USB mouse, or it will cause strange things. Lame.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just a wild guess, does your Vaio have a touchpad that you are accidentally hitting when you type? (I'm guessing that you are using a mouse, it's really hard to play uo with a touchpad)

If so, you may have disabled the touchpad previously and the factory reset have re-enabled it.

S

Sweeney

No it wasn't hitting the touchpad. I hadn't tried it before the restore, but I disabled the touchpad device driver loading (basically trying to "shut off" the touchpad altogether) but the touchpad still worked without the driver loaded. Having the driver load on startup fixed the problem, even if it's wasted memory as I never use the touchpad.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So your problem is fixed now?

Btw, most laptops have an option in the bios to let you disable the touchpad. So you can disable it from there if you don't want to load the drivers.

O

Old Man of UO

So your problem is fixed now?

Btw, most laptops have an option in the bios to let you disable the touchpad. So you can disable it from there if you don't want to load the drivers.
HA! I have an Averatec laptop (they contract MFG all models) and it does NOT have any means to disable the touchpad. It is in the worst possible spot, right where your thumbs should rest on the space bar. If you get even close to the touch pad, it will sense your thumbs and want to type over whole paragraphs. Also, any Logitech mouse driver I load in interferes with the touchpad driver and the cursor unexpectedly bounces to the corner. Worst keyboard design ever.

Fortunately, work just bought me a new HP laptop for travel and I can turn the touchpad off.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
HA! I have an Averatec laptop (they contract MFG all models) and it does NOT have any means to disable the touchpad.
Ahh, so there are such laptops indeed! :D

But, if you are not afraid of breaking stuff (and/or voiding any warrantees), you can always try disconnecting the ribbon btwn the touchpad and the mobo.

Pic of the ribbon clip for one of the Averatec models in the 3rd post:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=39212

O

Old Man of UO

Thanks Harlequin!

I searched for that info about a year ago and didn't find that. I called Averatec and was told it couldn't be done. I haven't cracked the case open yet because it is a company owned laptop, but they may just decide to "release" it for personal use now that we have new ones.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dont necessarily have to crack it completely open to get at the touchpad ribbon. Usually there are 2-3 screws on the bottom just to release the keyboard. You should be able to pop the keyboard up (CAREFUL! Fragile ribbon cables underneath!) and get at the ribbon for the touchpad. Just pop it loose and leave it there.