• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Parry] JOAT on pure fighter

Ford Taunus

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hi,
I have done some calculations and tests and I ended up to a conclusion, that pure human parry fighter is a bad choice.
Seems like JOAT bushido ruins my parry with the shield.
This is real "show stopper". Missed 5% parry chance is really needed on high-end fights.
The pure fighter is already lot behind bushido based fighter. And I think JOAT should not be as "penalty" here.
Has anybody confirmed this before? Or is my calculations even wrong?

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
It's not supposed to, unless they changed the formula at some point:

Five on Friday - January 25, 2008 - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

"Does the Jack of All Trades bonus affect the parry/bushido relationship?"

First of all, a few explanations:

Jack of All Trades: a human racial bonus that gives humans a bit of skill (+20) in everything. (This ONLY serves as a minor chance to succeed at untrained skills - it doesn't affect a skill at all once you train it past 20.)

Bushido and Parry: Bushido gives a bonus to your chance to parry with weapons, but reduces your chance to parry with a shield.

What the question is really asking is, does that +20 Bushido from JoAT reduce my chance to parry with a shield? And the answer is no - the JoAT bushido has no effect on your ability to parry whatsoever. Leurocian was particularly thorough with this one - JoAT was specifically designed not to have that effect, and it says so in the code itself, the actual scripts don't use that modifier, plus Leurocian wrote a test script just to make sure, and, sure enough, JoAT does not reduce your parry chance with a shield.

Ford Taunus

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Last edited:

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are you sure? I think JOAT indeed help human fighter? Need test?

Ah it is my bad testings then. I retest with more hits.
I'm about as sure as I can be. I read in a diff thread that kyronix or someone spoke about it when the joat skills went active and that it shouldn't interfere. I haven't sat there and counted hits/misses for 1,000 times or anything.

Ford Taunus

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm about as sure as I can be. I read in a diff thread that kyronix or someone spoke about it when the joat skills went active and that it shouldn't interfere. I haven't sat there and counted hits/misses for 1,000 times or anything.
Okis. Need test. It can be found out fast. Just a few mins. I test when I got online.