• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Jewelry Decay Rate vs. Armor

Exodus

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't seem to figure this out , but lately the (legendary artifact ) jewelry that my tamer wears seems to decay at a very rapid rate compared to the armor the character wears. If all items start with 255 durability, how can the same two fall all the way to zero while everything else is still on 253-255.

Just wondering if this is happening to anyone else..

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also using bandies on yourself or a pet will use Durability.
I can go from 200 to 20 in just 1 knavery fight.....

Exodus

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is the jewelry antique? If so, just casting spells will deteriorate the item much faster.
I never paid attention to that, but yes they are antique so I suppose that could be the reason. Thanks for the tip, I don't guess I knew it worked that way

Abyss-

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Well it sucks extremely that you cannot powder jewelry.. If you use a non-antique (normal or prized) piece it goes down quickly if you spawn on a sampire ..and then when you wanna repair it with a tinker deed you fail "7" times reducing max durability even more just by trying to repair it.... plz make that stuff powderable..at least the normal and prized stuff..

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Sadly I do not think they will ever allow powder on those pieces. I mean their whole reason for putting durability on jewls in the first place is because "no piece of armor or equipment should last forever".

I do agree the pieces wear out quickly.. especially on a melee fighter.. which is why it surprises me when folks spend a plat or two on them..

money to burn I reckon. ;)

Cutter

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Never use high-end antique jewelry for pvm stuff...or even for random pvp like dueling around with friends. I learned this myself the hard way.

Look at it like the vanquishing weapons of old. Special occasions only!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
IMO the only thing Antique or Cursed stuff is good for is unraveling or using to train up a skill ...... I would NEVER use it on a suit I spent hours putting together and imbuing and such... it won't last. Some argue they have had that stuff for years but I suspect they are tamers or something who never get hit, don't hit things, and never have to get exposed to corruption and such from certain mobs...

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Managing the durability of your jewelry if you pay attention. If you're just blindly training pets (i.e., sitting at the crazed mage or eternal gazers) while your pet just hits the mob, then you should take your antique jewels off.

However, there are a lot of very high end antique jewels that work just fine for PVM. For mages / ranged fighters, they will last a good amount of time. Sure you can't rely on them forever to be apart of your template, but there are enough of these high end items in game now that you should be able to find a suitable replacement. If you're a melee fighter... that's a different story. It will wear quickly and needs to have an eye kept on it constantly. Probably better to go with non-antique for melee fighters, but then you need to be prepared to have less mods.

Cutter

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wish they would remove the extreme decay rate on them. I have the same lt. sash and +4 int boots (both 'antique') that I've had for probably 10+ years or whenever they came out, and they will probably never break...

It's just not right - people spend literal fortunes for high-end antique jewelry (mainly for PvP), build suits around it, then have to start from scratch when the durability gets too low.

They should not decay any faster than the antique replicas.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can't seem to figure this out , but lately the (legendary artifact ) jewelry that my tamer wears seems to decay at a very rapid rate compared to the armor the character wears. If all items start with 255 durability, how can the same two fall all the way to zero while everything else is still on 253-255.

Just wondering if this is happening to anyone else..
Antique items will lose durability even if you never get hit if your pet is fighting... brittle armor does not. As Merlin mentioned above, if you are doing pet training that doesn't require a lot of intervention (shadow ele or crazed mage, etc) its good to take any antique items off.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Never use high-end antique jewelry for pvm stuff...or even for random pvp like dueling around with friends. I learned this myself the hard way.
Your logic is flawed. What good is a piece of equipment, if you don't equip it? Then you could toss it away or unravel it as well...
(And please don't say, you're "using" it for bank sitting :p)

My advice: Use it, as long as you can. Maybe it is also a good practice, to have an (imbued) replacement ready.

Cutter

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your logic is flawed. What good is a piece of equipment, if you don't equip it? Then you could toss it away or unravel it as well...
(And please don't say, you're "using" it for bank sitting :p)

My advice: Use it, as long as you can. Maybe it is also a good practice, to have an (imbued) replacement ready.
Well, I meant one would not want to chain rat spawns wearing 1/3 15/15/15 ep jewels that are worth upwards of a plat or more in some cases.

I don't disagree with your point though =)

Aeneas

Adventurer
Well, I meant one would not want to chain rat spawns wearing 1/3 15/15/15 ep jewels that are worth upwards of a plat or more in some cases.

I don't disagree with your point though =)
I think extreme items should be expensive to insure. 100k gold per max property should be a good start. the example item 1/3 15-15-15 should cost 500k golds for insurance. On the second death within an UO day. the cost would double etc.

transcendent

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
If Antique jewelry were to last a long time, then what would be the point of using non-antique jewelry? It would just make them obsolete. Some people have spent a lot of gold to buy good clean jewels

Last edited: