• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I've Had All I Can Stand, And Me Can't Stands NO MORE

A

Amathist of PoC

People need to be careful about jumping to conclusions based on stories they hear second hand.
Well that was why I went straight to my list of WRR dj's and asked what was going on...while waiting for a reply from them I also messaged a fellow supporter of the station to see what they knew.

All came back with the "yeah was technically in the wrong but we have fixed it now"so even they themselves admit it was against TOS to have the banners. But they acted quickly and have taken them down and hope to just move on from there.

My only gripe is that Ea Mythic can show support for a site doing interviews with them, allowing them and Town Hall and posting about them in FOF including links to the site...but then turn around and ban two dj's almost instantly for saying the URL in game.

I just wish they would focus more on what brings the community down rather then things that are designed to build it and encourage it like some URLs that are pure guides for players or guild sites or community sites like WRR.

M

Mitzlplik_SP

NOW WRR radio!?!?! Vanna Mana and Norman Bates busted and in UO jail!?!? OH THE INSANITY! This has gone too far!

Its time we SIT DOWN AND FIGHT!
Fight about what? The ToS is pirty clear about not mentioning nefarious sites.This is not the first time I`ve read mention of WRR having bad banners or adds on their site,maybe after the last banning of sumone from WRR,they should have removed said adds before spamming their site again.

W/O trying to bash anyone....I really don`t get whats so hard to understand here.

E

Eslake

W/O trying to bash anyone....I really don`t get whats so hard to understand here.
Simple.

If WRR is so bad that saying the link in-game is worth a suspension or ban, why does EA adverties it in the FoF?

The rules saying we aren't supposed to use links in-game are irrelevant, because they themselves give links in GM responces, and the guild gump has a place specifically to add one.

What is the reason for not allowing links in game? To protect users from harmful sites.
So if they consider WRR harmful, and still advertising it in their own FoF, what does that tell you? ;)

L

Lord Kynd

I want to know how they got mentioned in the FOF if the site had banners it was not suposed to have??? CONSISTANCEY PEOPLE.
EA is definitly going overboard again.:gun:
maybe they are wanting people to quit UO in hopes we will move to another one of there game's ??? maybe they need to use UO servers for warhammer or something.
in the 10+ years i've been playing i don't recall ever being told of a bad nor malicious web site in game. only helpfull one's.
well maybe that scripter site was told to me in game , but now a days most gamers do massive searches for hints/tricks/tips/etc to help them play better and these 'other' sites will show on those search's... so all of this non site mentioning is not really doing jack but causing people to not enjoy the game anymore... out of fear of maybe stepping in the wrong tile, or saying something wrong, or picking a item up even.

L

Lord Kynd

Simple.

If WRR is so bad that saying the link in-game is worth a suspension or ban, why does EA adverties it in the FoF?

The rules saying we aren't supposed to use links in-game are irrelevant, because they themselves give links in GM responces, and the guild gump has a place specifically to add one.

What is the reason for not allowing links in game? To protect users from harmful sites.
So if they consider WRR harmful, and still advertising it in their own FoF, what does that tell you? ;)

if WRR played good music and was clear sounding it wouldn't be to bad, but it isn't exactly impartial either.

N

nixwb

IMO, they are prolly doing this massive banning for BS reasons because they either want enough players to quit so they can take UO down.

It could also be they want the number of players to decrease enough to justify integrating shards so that they dont have as many servers to keep up with.

Another idea, which is dependant on one specific condition, is they want to get rid of anyone that does NOT want to play KR and have no intentions of playing it. They already said they are going to do it once the %of players playing KR far exceeds 2d players. For all you that tried KR or never tried it, remember a while back when you logged in and a questionaire popped up asking if you tried KR, would you try it, and is there a reason why you stopped using it. Now the one specific condition to debunk this idea is asking all the people that got banned for BS reasons, if they played KR or tried it? If they all say to hell with KR, then this is probably it.

**Oh yeah one thing I noticed, they stated purple hued items dyed via factions are illegal and bannable. But, years ago when this first came out, they publically announced, that they were NOT going to confiscate, delete, or penalize players for having these items, because they were simply going to make it so you can dye armor and weapons in the near future, hence Tokuno Dyes. The purple color isnt a exact match with the faction crap, but who really cares, they dont make the owner godly or anything. Also, if they were able to transform all those blue neon robes into worthless dark brown 'monk robes' then why cant they simply make these faction colored items turn into a crappy color no one would want.

HAHAHAHAHAH I just had a thought, LOL. With the way things are going today, its going to be so ironic when they eventually ban the wrong person and treat them like complete crap. Once you get their 'agent orange' stimulated, or trigger that post-traumatic syndrome its going to make for another horrible and depressing day. You have to remember, online gaming is about the only 'socializing' some people participate in, some are extremely out there, you could say hampster in their head is running backwards in its wheel. It's like playing catch with a grenade, eventually that pins going to accidentally get pulled out.

Raider Red

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You fail to understand that if they dont focus on that stuff, then they will actually have to focus on game issues.

And we all know that will never happen because to fix game issues requires skill, which is something the people in charge at EA/Mythic lack.

So instead they focus on useless things.

But hey at least we can be happy for the valentine cards and bacon and stuff like that. Those are very important :coco:

Also don't forget their hard work on the christmas gifts this past christmas.I mean it took alot of work recoding them from '06 to '07.(note the sarcasm):loser:

E

Elbryan Uthador

How hard is this to understand?

You CANNOT mention url's IN GAME.

Its been that way for awhile since some people would say links to "bad" sites. WRR said their url in game, someone paged and "Bam" off to jail they went just like it has always been.

@Jirel

All you do is pancake and moan about how everything is unfair. Here is an idea. Get off your butt, go outside and enjoy some fresh air.

P

peanutbutter

Sorry peanutbutter I think I just had an alergic recation to you.....WHAT???, I tried to read that more then once and it could be my over tired strep throat ridden mind not being able to process to clearly but WHAH?????
basically...

the laws are broken.

P

peanutbutter

Fight about what? The ToS is pirty clear about not mentioning nefarious sites.This is not the first time I`ve read mention of WRR having bad banners or adds on their site,maybe after the last banning of sumone from WRR,they should have removed said adds before spamming their site again.

nefarious is kind of strong language, don't you think?

i mean, you really kind of have to warrant your claim when you call someone or something "evil".

don't you?

and you need to make sure you understand how your rhetoric can hurt others. for example, what if someone's mom worked for this "nefarious" site? you labeling it as such makes her "nefarious" by association, perhaps even the root of nefariousness...

now what if someone came on here and said "your mom's nefarious!" - wouldn't that be considered abusive and inciting? what's the difference, then?

funny thing about "rules" and stuff - we ALL break them. every one of us.

but the law is not blind... the law is strategic and surgical and it knows when, where, and often on whom it intends to fall.

just thinking...

Lady Aalia

Atlantic's Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What it boils down to EA dont want people spamming links in the game that advertise items for $$ sale.

And i acctually like that, they have no problems with guild webbys or alike as long as there is no sales going on.

I dont think WW Radio needs to advertise Dupers and scriptersites if they want to pose as respectable.
And i dont think they are hurting for money eather, that they have to rely on those incomes... seeing that they own a Luna house on most shards.

Seems forgotten that they are doing the traveling and interviews because this is what they enjoy and its volunteer work not because they get paid for it....

And the volunteers is what make the comunity

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How hard is this to understand?

You CANNOT mention url's IN GAME.

Its been that way for awhile since some people would say links to "bad" sites. WRR said their url in game, someone paged and "Bam" off to jail they went just like it has always been.
If they change the rules they should make an announcement. There has been no announcements in regard to changing the Terms of Service that I can remember. Clearly they have changed their stance and are refusing to explain what it now is. If you can't say URLs in-game anymore then tell us, don't suspend people and make us figure it out on our own. This isn't a quest.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
just the thought of the mass hysteria that has been avoided thanks to the itchy trigger finger of the unnamed GM makes me all gooey on the inside.

thank you, Mr. itchy-finger-unnamed-game-master... this buds for you.
What Better way to get their point across to a good portion of the very public community. Who Says the gm was trigger happy?

Maybe this entire situation is just a publicity stunt designed by both parties.

We can Speculate to the ends of the earth. Stratics did their thing with advertising...why?

Advanced warning from ea for what was about to occur?

After all is said and done will you advertise in game and risk a banning?

If no, then the Mass Hysteria was very effective.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they change the rules they should make an announcement. There has been no announcements in regard to changing the Terms of Service that I can remember. Clearly they have changed their stance and are refusing to explain what it now is. If you can't say URLs in-game anymore then tell us, don't suspend people and make us figure it out on our own. This isn't a quest.
Did they change the in game rules or just enforce them?

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is the same thing. You can't just start enforcing a rule or reinterpret one in a new way without telling people. Well technically they can, but that is just extremely poor customer service and player relations.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is the same thing. You can't just start enforcing a rule or reinterpret one in a new way without telling people. Well technically they can, but that is just extremely poor customer service and player relations.
It may seem like poor relations as you were involved some how.

Impression for New prospects coming into the game, that there are rules and that they are enforced with out favoritism is a very good thing.

To me that is good service.

K

Kith Kanan

Since someone brought it up, I will mention that I finally got a reply to my GM review 7 days after sending it. The gist is they thanked me for sending in feedback and didn't respond at all to what I had written. It was basically a canned message. I am going to send in asking for clarification on my original message.
Good luck you will need it.....

S

Shotgun

JC it is not Ea's job to make sure YOU keep up on the rules of the game. when we all start up our accounts we agree to follow all the rules and clearly understand them. I do think they have posted changes to rules and i know i have seen postings of not having url links in your chars profile or mentioning them in-game. if wrr broke those rules and got caught then so be it, if they was gonna have banners on their site they should have made sure of the rules before running the banners on their site even if it took them days,weeks, months or longer it is better to be safe than sorry.

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
(Next came JC the Builder, for what have UOGuide website in his avatar profile)

I thought he had that site where you can (search) any Luna vendor for any item.

That one is ran and only operated because of a script so I can see why he got banned for it.
He had UOguide.com, his website in his profile. Not the search one...

D

D'Amavir

As several have tried to explain here, its a matter of logic. No one is questioning EA's right to not allow url's to be mentioned in game. However, if the reason is to protect players from harmful sites, as EA claims, then why would EA turn around and send people to those same sites on their Herald?

Is EA saying that its ok for them to send people to harmful sites but when players do it its bad? That's where the logic issue comes in. Like others have said, consistency is an issue. If its just a way to ban people that really don't deserve it so that certain people on these boards can pop up and support the bans because its what the 'rules' say, fine. Just admit that its just a stunt. But don't claim that you are doing something to protect the players then turn around and put them at the exact same risk as what you are banning people for.

I would imagine that more people read the FoF than attend any WRR event. So more people are being placed at risk by reading the FoF than are being placed at risk by going to a WRR event. That's just silly.

"Go to this site because its cool and supports our game!"
"You are banned for advertising your site that we said was cool and supports our game!" Again, silly.

P

peanutbutter

What Better way to get their point across to a good portion of the very public community. Who Says the gm was trigger happy?

Maybe this entire situation is just a publicity stunt designed by both parties.

We can Speculate to the ends of the earth. Stratics did their thing with advertising...why?

Advanced warning from ea for what was about to occur?

After all is said and done will you advertise in game and risk a banning?

If no, then the Mass Hysteria was very effective.
spoken like a true follower...

i suppose we can tell the children on the streets of colombia that they better not beg for food or money because the soldiers will take them to the mountains and shoot them... maybe use one as an example...

oh, but wait. what if the children don't KNOW that begging for food is against the law or didn't realize that simply asking for a cracker was considered "begging". like, maybe someone on some website just sold advertizing space to some guy in order to fund their site and that guy put up something against the rules? with nobody being the wiser?

who knows? i don't know! if anybody knows, they aren't saying! it's the unknown that is bothering most people in all this.

all i'm saying is there's blatant intent to harm others and then there's an honest mistake.

if you shout "fire" in a crowded building and somebody gets trampled in the rush to escape, you are responsible. however, if you tell somebody that a friend of yours did that and nobody gets hurt as a result of your comment, no harm, no foul.

there are just laws and unjust laws. then, for the just laws, there is just punishment and unjust punishment. (naturally for the unjust laws, all punishment is unjust). maybe the laws put out by EA are just... maybe they aren't... but it is certainly unjust to leave us all in the dark and confused about exactly what transpired in a situation where people are banned.

maybe it's a just law to not have ads that link to questionable sites... but maybe somebody could get a warning first... i dunno, like, "excuse me, did you know that your website breaks our rules?" "oh, no! i didn't know that! i will refrain from giving it out until the situation is taken care of."

simple... fixed...

we talk alot about the UO community. community this and community that and we and us and bla bla bla. but it's not a community. if it were, there would be transparency in these situations. then we could all say indefinitely, "yes, EA did the right thing". without that, we can only assume, as is usually the case and is enforced by perpetually burning buildings all over the place, that someone in a position of power has an agenda that is not in the best interests of the average player.

i don't know what happened here. what i do know is that silence is unsettling and it should be... and it is likely the result of one of two mindsets: 1) we are the power and don't have to justify ourselves, or 2) what we did was probably wrong and now we have to sit it out until they all forget it happened.

either mindset it simply wrong.

and people keep disappearing all over the place. like something out of an alien abduction movie... and that's what the devs and GM's have become to us. aliens. they aren't like us anymore. they are some superior race that can come and take any one of us at any moment and never give a good reason. maybe they have a good reason, but they never give it.

therein lies the problem. these courses of action distance the trust relationship between us and them. whether their action is in our best interests or not makes little difference. perception is reality and they don't care to improve the way they are perceived.

but do i care? no. i'm still in the game. most of the people i know are still in the game... but i have to wonder... will i someday be banned for something that i did not intend for harm? what a slippery slope they have been sliding down - hope they enjoy the ride. i know i am.

and so it goes. say hello to your new leader, same as the old leader and SSDD.

end.

M

Mitzlplik_SP

and you need to make sure you understand how your rhetoric can hurt others.

My rhetoric?!

What about everyone elses on these boards?I mean everyone cries that no new players are inagme,or very few but at the same time all they do is run down UO and EA on these boards.What do YOU think a prospective new player would think of UO if they were unfortunate enough to come across posts like that?

now what if someone came on here and said "your mom's nefarious!" - wouldn't that be considered abusive and inciting? what's the difference, then?
First off....I wasn`t implying WRR was nefarious but rather the banners they were running/supporting was nefarious.

If someone got on here and said my mom was nefarious,I`d take it with a grain of salt.I`m not that sensitive,plus I know......you don`t know my mom,just like I don`t know WRR or anyone else here.You shouldn`t take everything so literal.

I agree we all break the rules to some degree but I get so tired of the same old complaining about being banned.Its not like their number was drawn and boom,yer done.They broke the rulez,period.Its not a new rule,always been there.For years peaple pissed and moaned that EA never did anything to enforce their rules and when they do, OH MY GOD..... EA is evil now,they blanket ban and never get the right peaple! Why is EA banning all the innocents! DOWN WITH EA!! I mean wtf.Whether peaple will admit it or not in their heart of hearts they know why they got banned but due to long time friendships and trusts (built with peaple you`ve never seen or met IRL) everyone will cry foul and innocent just to save face because for sure...they did nothing wrong.

I like WRR,I check out their site and even listen to a cple of their stations.I`m sorry if it looked like I called WRR nefarious,thats what I get for posting at 6am while I`m gettin ready for work/chuggin coffee :D.

As far as the FoF`s and WRR being linked thru it,well thats all well and good,but the fact remains the same.No URL`s in game.If you insist on the need of being able to say a URL ingame,maybe you should check out w/e site it is you want to spam/promote? I know I would since I`m not totally ignorant in the ways of UO,I mean being a stratics/uhall lurker and all.I read all the posts in Uhall daily,I would assume the peaple that get banned and complain here do too.So who`s fault would it be if someone got banned for something that is CONSTANTLY whined about in Uhall and other like forums? :wall:

Lucy of Kenton

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mitz you are missing the point. i as well as others are indeed innocent and imagine if your had been incorrectly banned and people posted stuff like u just did?
yes try to get yer head around how we feel having been incorrectly banned? what would you do? say yes i dunno what i did but hey i must be guilty as ea say i was?

Lucy of Kenton

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mitz you are missing the point. i as well as others are indeed innocent and imagine if your had been incorrectly banned and people posted stuff like u just did?
yes try to get yer head around how we feel having been incorrectly banned? what would you do? say yes i dunno what i did but hey i must be guilty as ea say i was?
and yes its exactly like our number was drawn. just like it

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
spoken like a true follower...

i suppose we can tell the children on the streets of colombia that they better not beg for food or money because the soldiers will take them to the mountains and shoot them... maybe use one as an example...

oh, but wait. what if the children don't KNOW that begging for food is against the law or didn't realize that simply asking for a cracker was considered "begging". like, maybe someone on some website just sold advertizing space to some guy in order to fund their site and that guy put up something against the rules? with nobody being the wiser?

who knows? i don't know! if anybody knows, they aren't saying! it's the unknown that is bothering most people in all this.

all i'm saying is there's blatant intent to harm others and then there's an honest mistake.

if you shout "fire" in a crowded building and somebody gets trampled in the rush to escape, you are responsible. however, if you tell somebody that a friend of yours did that and nobody gets hurt as a result of your comment, no harm, no foul.

there are just laws and unjust laws. then, for the just laws, there is just punishment and unjust punishment. (naturally for the unjust laws, all punishment is unjust). maybe the laws put out by EA are just... maybe they aren't... but it is certainly unjust to leave us all in the dark and confused about exactly what transpired in a situation where people are banned.

maybe it's a just law to not have ads that link to questionable sites... but maybe somebody could get a warning first... i dunno, like, "excuse me, did you know that your website breaks our rules?" "oh, no! i didn't know that! i will refrain from giving it out until the situation is taken care of."

simple... fixed...

we talk alot about the UO community. community this and community that and we and us and bla bla bla. but it's not a community. if it were, there would be transparency in these situations. then we could all say indefinitely, "yes, EA did the right thing". without that, we can only assume, as is usually the case and is enforced by perpetually burning buildings all over the place, that someone in a position of power has an agenda that is not in the best interests of the average player.

i don't know what happened here. what i do know is that silence is unsettling and it should be... and it is likely the result of one of two mindsets: 1) we are the power and don't have to justify ourselves, or 2) what we did was probably wrong and now we have to sit it out until they all forget it happened.

either mindset it simply wrong.

and people keep disappearing all over the place. like something out of an alien abduction movie... and that's what the devs and GM's have become to us. aliens. they aren't like us anymore. they are some superior race that can come and take any one of us at any moment and never give a good reason. maybe they have a good reason, but they never give it.

therein lies the problem. these courses of action distance the trust relationship between us and them. whether their action is in our best interests or not makes little difference. perception is reality and they don't care to improve the way they are perceived.

but do i care? no. i'm still in the game. most of the people i know are still in the game... but i have to wonder... will i someday be banned for something that i did not intend for harm? what a slippery slope they have been sliding down - hope they enjoy the ride. i know i am.

and so it goes. say hello to your new leader, same as the old leader and SSDD.

end.
Dude you are way over the top, last time I begged all I got was a loaf for bread not shot.

Your Out of game comparison's are very loose at best.

Sorry not trying to single you out but...wow *hands you a strait jacket*

The whole defy authority(its all corrupt) Id rather have complete chaos thing is weak.