• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Items that aren't locked down before house construction

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
These should be moved to the moving crate, not piled underneath the sign. I wasn't aware that you couldn't leave items that weren't locked down on the floor during house construction, and lost one of my two vollems as a result. In the grand scheme of things, it isn't that big a deal, but as of this very moment I am mighty pissed off at losing those precious pixels...

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ouch

generally that's one tool I use to clean house... when I decide to customize again I go around unlocking everything I don't want so that it gets kicked out

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Well, I guess we'll just chalk it up to another lesson learnt.

edit: I didn't think they were incredibly valuable. Only to find out that they are worth around 10 mil. Oh well, there were actually two of them under my sign, and the thief only took one. I don't know whether that was a flash of conscience, or he just didn't find the other one stacked under the bandages. One hell of an expensive deco job this is turning out to be...

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
on a related note (somewhat...) four or five days ago I put a few things on the floor to decay, and all did, except for a lute... nothing special about it, has 86 uses left and it's not exceptional.... well, not exceptional in the normal sense, but quite remarkable in it's staying power as it still sits there on my floor

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah leaving stuff unlocked on your floor is never a good idea. In a public house you can get robbed by stealthers, or you can forget about the item and it will decay, or you could lose conn and your internet could go down for a couple hours and it could decay etc. Better safe than sorry.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Ya, it was just a stupid mistake. I'm not sure I even intended to leave it, I just neglected to pick it up after I put it down while I was sorting out one of those elven chests. They really ought to change the code so you don't have to redeed that stuff when you work on your house.

Ironic that I can go for days without seeing anyone around my inn, but the one time I make a mistake like that, someone just happens by...

Voluptuous

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think ANY instrument decays.the ones in the npc shop in Zento are pick up-able, and I've dropped em on the ground by my shop and they stay there for days until people pick em up.

legendsguy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ya, you're never getting that vollem back. sad to say, but that's how people are. money > common decency

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Double checked my pack and all the local containers in the vain hope I hadn't actually dropped it. Oh well, guess I'll just be happy I didn't lose both of them.

M

maroite

You dropped a vollum in a crystal and didn't lock it down? ...

Also, I'm not sure I would call them a thief. Maybe a garbage digger, but in all honesty they didn't pick steal anything from you.

Its also amusing that in UHAll you ask for them to return it, yet here you call them a thief. lol

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Its also amusing that in UHAll you ask for them to return it, yet here you call them a thief. lol
Strike that, I did call them a thief. Well it wasn't intended maliciously. And if they did return it, that would make them, "not a thief". However, I somewhat agree with you. Finders keepers. But if someone wanted some free karma, or just a good feeling, they could give it back. Not the best UO day I've ever had, I do think I am entitled to be somewhat cranky... ;)

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Maroite will be happy to know. The "thief" turned out to be a friend of mine. For all you doubters, there is such a thing as karma. And as he hadn't upgraded his account yet, and had missed the special goodies, I let him keep it as an early Xmas present. He had already bought me a very expensive welcome back to UO gift, so it all worked out perfectly. :)