• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is This Within ToS?

G

I logged in the game tonight after several days absence. Several of the open stores are advertising a specific amount of simoleans for a specific amount of money (US dollars) with Paypal. Is this legal in a house bio? Is it legal in a sim bio?

G

<blockquote><hr>

I logged in the game tonight after several days absence. Several of the open stores are advertising a specific amount of simoleans for a specific amount of money (US dollars) with Paypal. Is this legal in a house bio? Is it legal in a sim bio?

[/ QUOTE ]Advertising the sale of in-game items for real-life currency is prohibited by the EA-Land User Agreement. You should use the Report feature in game. Also, it would probably be a good idea to e-mail details of this to [email protected] .

G

Ok, can I do it? ... I guess that is a no.

Edited to add that last comment after Katheryn's post

And no, I will not be the whistle blower on this one. I can't remember all of them and not going back into game. Night everyone.

T

TKSpeedy1

Actually, Parizad told me once that they were changing the TOS and allowing people to sell simoleans. Not sure if they are actually gonna do it, all I know is that was what I was told.

G

The rule is, no advertising of private sales for real money, on EA's site....it is sort of like the trouble you would get into, by putting an ad for Pepsi on a Coke billboard. EA does not want another business advertising in their space.

I

imported_Calina.Rhiannon

They allow others to sell simoleans and in-game items. However, they do not allow others to advertise within the game.

G

I can understand that private sale of simoleans is against the rules, however, I saw a store that was simply stating how many simoleans you could buy through the ATM, and not actually selling them privately. I would guess anyone that has not bought through the ATM would not know how many simoleans you can buy unless they have already done so. The place I saw stated they have an ATM, and then proceeded to state what you can buy through it, and not exactly selling them privately, so I would think there would be a difference? clarification would be appreciated.

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

No one, as far as I know, it is a free for all.

[/ QUOTE ]

TTL

I seen the same thing on a store Bio . Its been on there for quite awhile. Its one of those stores that is real popular because they always have a houseful of guest. Night and day.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I can understand that private sale of simoleans is against the rules, however, I saw a store that was simply stating how many simoleans you could buy through the ATM, and not actually selling them privately. I would guess anyone that has not bought through the ATM would not know how many simoleans you can buy unless they have already done so. The place I saw stated they have an ATM, and then proceeded to state what you can buy through it, and not exactly selling them privately, so I would think there would be a difference? clarification would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing in the rules against informing players of the exchange rate on the ATM.

What we are talking about is linking to a private email with price quotes or sale offers, or advertising on Stratics.

The problem we are all facing these days (and maybe the EAL Game Master's as well) is that this game is in transition. In betwix what it used to be and what it is going to be. It can be very hard to keep track of where we are right *now*, regarding the progress of these changes and what is or isn't allowed.

I know on Stratics, all we can do is enforce the rules that are in place right now....when the rules are 'officially' changed (in writing), then we will change the rules on Stratics. I have no clue how the EA Game Masters are handling it. *shrug*

D

DGLita

I asked a dev specifially about this a while ago. The answer I got was, there is no answer.

You can do it as long as you dont blatantly advertise, and you dont make the first move. ie you can sell as long as someone asks you first, you cant offer that information.

If you want to buy money in the game there is no doubt you will get a better rate from a player, but there is the trust issue to consider, and if you get scammed out of real money then I doubt that the devs will want to get involved in sorting out that issue.

G

Or, there are no GMs and there are no developers to stop it.

Why would they let a store in the top 10 advertise that they sell game money at a lower cost than the ATMs. Isnt that taking profit away from EA?

I cant stand outside of Walmart and sell bottled water at a lower cost than they can. Both would be using the property of the other.

P

poppet

I guess its back to ebay for those who want to sell for lower than ea :p

G

There is no answer for anything, anymore.

However, you know the rules and you know you are breaking them. I have seen your signs. Is that blatant advertising?

Because EA does not care about this game anymore. Everyone has started breaking the rules. Some have taken it a bit too far.

EA is both deaf and mute when it comes to EA Land.

It is completely careless to let this go on.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone told me that eBay does not allow selling of virtual goods anymore. I don't know if this is true or not.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone told me that eBay does not allow selling of virtual goods anymore. I don't know if this is true or not.

[/ QUOTE ]By what I've heard, this is correct.

For those of you taking a cavalier attitude about private simolean sales, consider this: If you decide to purchase those simoleans, then you are potentially contributing to the bot problem by making it profitable for them to stay in business, and encouraging more to take up residence. More bots = further reduced payouts and other draconian anti-bot measures (I mean, is there anyone here who actually likes the pay caps?).

Choose wisely.

M

mysticlisa516

Excuse me? Not everyone that sells simoleans bots. I wish people would quit saying the words all and every, instead of most or some.

Quit lumping those that do something into 1 group.

I

imported_CherryBomb

eBay wil not host game currency auctions any more. That said, if people can sell emus for less than EA, then the economy is poorly designed. Any system that needs to prohibit players from making fair trades between each other to work, is gonna be perceived as unfair, and it is. It would be the equivalent of a protective tariff in the real world. If I designed an economy, it would let everybody trade their little hearts out.

CherryBomb

G

But why would EA want to allow that if the purpose of ATM's is the same concept? It would be viewed as sellers taking money out of EA's enormous pockets.

M

mysticlisa516

Whatever happened to cash out feature. Seems to me that if they can't keep their end of the deal, why should those that want to sell their simoleans. And don't say that they have to be patient, I think everyone has been patient enough and waited long enough for empty promises.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Excuse me? Not everyone that sells simoleans bots. I wish people would quit saying the words all and every, instead of most or some.

Quit lumping those that do something into 1 group.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is why she said:<blockquote><hr>

If you decide to purchase those simoleans, then you are <u>potentially</u> contributing to the bot problem

[/ QUOTE ]

G

<blockquote><hr>

Whatever happened to cash out feature. Seems to me that if they can't keep their end of the deal, why should those that want to sell their simoleans. And don't say that they have to be patient, I think everyone has been patient enough and waited long enough for empty promises.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, although I think a lot of us know why they aren't bringing it in just yet.
It's also likely that atleast some of the people selling are doing so incase they end up being worth nothing.