• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is there any PVP ingame now?

Shoeshine

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
As a sandbox lover I have high hopes for this game. Looks truly awesome, and I've backed it even though I don't know how the PVP is. But if any1 could shed some light on how the PVP is, or will be, I would be thankfull. Is there, or will it be open world PVP? Full loot? Or just pointless battlegrounds etc? Thx.

p.s Also, annoying that some1 already managed to steal "my" name. :p d.s

Cramit

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
To my knowledge, and I am rather new myself, there is pvp that is in. I believe there is a cave where there is open pvp on anyone who enters and I believe there is a potion you can drink that turns on pvp as well. Again I am unsure, but I recall hearing folks talk about both of these.

However, also realize that it has been stated by the development team that PVE is the main focus and all PVP will be completely optional.

Shoeshine

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Optional PVP sure is a turnoff. At least for me in a sandbox. As long as PVP ain't "greifer-friendly" it should be in. Having it optional just makes it pointless. Unless you make some part of the game only accessable through PVP. If there ever will be territorial controll for instance, and benefits for holding land etc.

Last edited:

Cramit

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Well, as I said they have stated that PVE is the core of this game. Not saying I wouldn't love some open world pvp in this game, I think it would be perfect, but I would think you have a better chance at a pvp server at release than seeing it a core system in game.

Territory control would be awesome, again doubt it would be a core system.

Shoeshine

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Would be nice to hear the developers thoughts on PVP now and in the future. But thx for the answers Cramit.

awollsd

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
they had states there wasn't really going to be any pvp. then after players asked for it they added pvp potions and then after players asked for more pvp they added kur mountains and open pvp zone.

my point in this is while this game was created with a pve orientation we shouldn't assume the dev's wont listen to suggestions/idea's and work more and more on the pvp mechanics :) so currently yes there is pvp not a lot but it's there. please suggest how to improve it :)

Nuhaine

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Goal-oriented 'PvP' would be an interesting thing to do. WoW tried this with zone-wide buffs, but you could make it entirely PvE-based. Just make it so that the players need to pick a side, and then create a goal that resets daily and rewards the winning faction. This will create competition.

Citan

Project: Gorgon Developer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
PvP will never be mandatory, it's just not that style of game. We may have objective-based PvP activities and the like, but it's first and foremost a PvE game. I have a hard time imagining that changing, although if we had a ton of players I could see setting up a completely separate always-PvP server.

Shoeshine

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
The PVP needs to have some meaning though. It shouldn't just be there to please some greifers minds. It has to have a purpose like fighting over resources, or land, or some ingame bonuses etc. But I think there most definetly needs to be some sort of PVP in a sandbox. A sandbox without meaningfull PVP is like a day without coffee. Pointless. :p

Cramit

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Well I do love pvp and I think a game like this, with such customization, would be a great place for pvp. I always liked the idea of territory control, maybe from playing DAoC a lot back in the day, but I always find that a lot of fun. My thoughts would be to have a zone dedicated to Open World PVP. I would suggest have castles/cities/towns/territory for "guilds" to capture once guilds are put into the game.

Then have something tied to the territories, either a buff that increases % to drop loot, and the percentage is based off of how many territories you control. I would also think to have mobs in the zone and maybe a open world dungeon if not 2-3 where players can go to farm mobs while in a pvp area.

You could even have a "raid" boss in the pvp area that either pvp or pve players would want to kill for loot to increase traffic through the zone. There seems a bunch of different ways to do the pvp in this game, my suggestion generally is to have a zone or two dedicated to pvp and if you add in territory control of any kind have it linked to guilds/clans rather than arbitrary teams that are setup on zone in.

Then it's just populating the zone with mobs/dungeons/bosses to make it worthwhile to go into the zone, as well as some kind of mechanic to make it worthwhile to control territories/castles/cities/towns.

Mendel

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I don't know if it is intended or not, but someone attacked me with his fire magic in Sebrule (while I was trying to bank). The guy wouldn't stop and kept interfering with my NPC transactions, so I had to turn around and blast him to make him quit.

I'm *not* a PVP fan, but I like it even less when someone prevents me from doing something.

Cramit

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I don't know if it is intended or not, but someone attacked me with his fire magic in Sebrule (while I was trying to bank). The guy wouldn't stop and kept interfering with my NPC transactions, so I had to turn around and blast him to make him quit.

I'm *not* a PVP fan, but I like it even less when someone prevents me from doing something.
This is the first I have ever heard of an issue like this but I can completely see why it would be annoying/frustrating.

Shoeshine

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Well there could always be safe zones as in towns etc where you can't get griefed like that. That's what I call pointless PVP and greifing. Kiddie stuff. But again. Would be nice to have, for instance, crafting stations in PVP zones that would increase your chances of getting better gear. Then you would have to have protection while doing it etc. Would be rly cool. Or you can choose to do it safe in towns, without the added bonuses. Both options should be able to get "epic" gear, but higher chances in PVP zone for instance. So the PVP is optional, but if you choose to head out there, the reward could also be higher. This was just one example. There is so much more and fun stuff one can do with PVP.

Cramit

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Well there could always be safe zones as in towns etc where you can't get griefed like that. That's what I call pointless PVP and greifing. Kiddie stuff. But again. Would be nice to have, for instance, crafting stations in PVP zones that would increase your chances of getting better gear. Then you would have to have protection while doing it etc. Would be rly cool. Or you can choose to do it safe in towns, without the added bonuses. Both options should be able to get "epic" gear, but higher chances in PVP zone for instance. So the PVP is optional, but if you choose to head out there, the reward could also be higher. This was just one example. There is so much more and fun stuff one can do with PVP.
I agree that there is a lot you can do with PVP, however there is also the point that you need a PVP system that fits the game. This game is PVE by nature and design. Much like the first MMO's of the genre, it is a PVE sandbox. So the question is how do we implement a fun PVP system that people will actually participate in that makes the devs time putting it together worth it?

Safe zones I think are the answer, in that I think you need 1-2 zones that are just specifically PVP. The trick is figuring out a risk vs reward system that makes players want to participate in it, even if they typically don't like PVP. That way the PVP folks have some places to go and PVE folks have places to go. It does separate the player base this way, but if you can figure out a good risk vs reward that affects both types of players but not so much that it's mandatory, then you've got a good system for the game.

I think we need to figure that system out and then propose something to the community/devs.

Cramit

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Hey guys, check out my thread on PvP and tell me what you think about my ideas : http://stratics.com/community/posts/2437664/

I'll be getting a poll together soon where we can vote on some different potential forms of PvP for the game.
I actually just posted a lengthy reply to your post, outlining the system that I would like to see. It's a bit more indepth from what I posted here but take a look and maybe we can get a poll going and advertise it in-game this weekend and hopefully get a idea what the entire community thinks on the pvp system what it should or shouldn't be.

Shoeshine

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Yeah, I completely agree that there need to be a well thought out risk vs reward-system ingame, and that peeps that only wanna do PVE can do so without having to venture out into PVP zones. But for those that love the thrill with PVP, and the risk with it, there need to be a carrot there for us as well. Like maybe getting higher volumes of resources from different nodes, higher chance for good loot etc. It should definetly be brought up, cause this game has som much good things going for it, and it would be a pity to not have a decent PVP-system in place for us that love to PVP. And I read your thread happytr33z. I must agree with Cramit that I wouldn't want a devided playerbase with a PVP server. I would love for PVP- and PVE-players to share the server. But bring those polls out and let's talk about this srsly. ;)

Last edited:

Cramit

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Well before we put those polls out, what are the types of systems to put in the poll for folks to vote on? This is what I can think of:

1. PVP Flag - Player can turn off and on via some mechanic (quest, potion, etc)
2. PVP Server - Self explanatory
3. Open PVP zone(s) - Single or multiple zone devoted to PVP with some PVE elements and risk vs reward system
4. Open PVP world - Entire world is PVP by default
5. PVP flag on player creation - Turn PVP on during character creation or item in inv when first logged in (Permanent)
6. Guild Wars - PVP only through declaring war on other guild, only affects the two guilds
7. Territory Control - Control territory in PVP zone for different rewards

Now as we all see, some of these are a combination of 1 or 2 of the options, but wasn't sure how to separate them properly and not sure if we can have multiple polls in 1 thread. Anyway, look at the list, and lets hash out if there aren't anything else we can think of. If not, lets try and get a poll up by this evening (EST timezone here, so 12:36 atm) so we have the entire weekend to tell folks to come here and vote and get a good discussion going.

Shoeshine

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I wouldn't want a separate PVP server. Then they would have to create two different games. Cause PVPers want more, then just the ability to bash another player in the head. Theres nothing worse then random ganking for no reason. We need a purpose for us to fight. Like territorial control, fighting over recources, over mobs, over crafting stations that increses the chances for better gears etc. I don't wanna see a separate PVP server as a option. At least not without those purposes in place for us.

Cramit

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I wouldn't want a separate PVP server. Then they would have to create two different games. Cause PVPers want more, then just the ability to bash another player in the head. Theres nothing worse then random ganking for no reason. We need a purpose for us to fight. Like territorial control, fighting over recources, over mobs, over crafting stations that increses the chances for better gears etc. I don't wanna see a separate PVP server as a option. At least not without those purposes in place for us.
As I would agree with you that I don't want the community split in any way either. However I think we have to have all options out there for the community to vote on, even if its not something we would like. I find it kinda hard to think the community would vote that option as the top one but I think it still has a place on the list since it is a option that would solve the problem, in a way at least.

Shoeshine

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
As I would agree with you that I don't want the community split in any way either. However I think we have to have all options out there for the community to vote on, even if its not something we would like. I find it kinda hard to think the community would vote that option as the top one but I think it still has a place on the list since it is a option that would solve the problem, in a way at least.
True dat. You got a point.