• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is there a guild on ATL dedicated to helping noobs?

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been looking over guilds, and I would really like to get involved in a guild that helps out new/returning players get onto their feet. I know not much about PvP or even PvM anymore, but I still am a dedicated mule who would be more than willing to use my house to set up vendors for forges, basic armor ect ect at or below cost for new or returning players.

can anyone help point me in the right direction? I remember a guild on LS a looong time ago that wore only purple and acted as "player counselors" for new players, something like that would be awesome

thanks!
-Derium

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
oh, and if there is anyone who has a guild like that, I'm willing to mark runebooks, supply recalls and even spend some time at night looking for places for homes to place for them.

if there isn't a guild like that... anyone wanna help me form one ;)

T

Tazar

There was one a year or so ago - but I have not seen any of them in a year or so. I have seen someone recently advertising that they are recruiting new(er) players in general chat - but I do not remember the character - nor the guild name.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
This is a primary focus of UWF, but we are a purely PvM guild. I'm sure Ni or TDT would be happy to teach you PvP.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ahh, I was not aware UWF did that, I do know that everywhere I go I see that guild tag haha

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Yeah, there are upsides and downsides to being a large guild. We're certainly not everyone's cup of tea - and that's ok. Atlantic has tons of great guilds.

Basically, UWF is an adult PvP guild. Not many rules, since we're all subscription-paying adults (basically, don't PK/steal from your guild mates). Membership is fluid: have folks with alternates in other guilds, such as HOT/HEAT, Ni, LNR, TDT, MSI, etc. Nightly, non-mandatory hunts at 9 PM EST. What you'd expect from a sort of laid back, PvM guild.

If you decide to try us out, just grab any UWFer and ask to speak with an emissary. The interview should only last about 15 minutes, as long as you feel you can agree with the basic rules. I'd interview you, myself, but rl issues have me out of game for the month of April (school, house hunting, changing offices at work, etc.)

There are also some other guild listings here: http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=7423. Good luck on your search!

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Curious? Why do you need a guild for this?

do you really need a guild to help out new players? On ATL i rarely find a truley NEW player.

But every so often i find a player running aorund with newish items and just help them out.

Its easy to just gather or craft items that I dont really have a need for and just hand them out.

But i do not know of a guild that dedicates itself to this.

Just every so often be gerous yourself.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re: Curious? Why do you need a guild for this?

do you really need a guild to help out new players? On ATL i rarely find a truley NEW player.

But every so often i find a player running aorund with newish items and just help them out.

Its easy to just gather or craft items that I dont really have a need for and just hand them out.

But i do not know of a guild that dedicates itself to this.

Just every so often be gerous yourself.

I understand I can do this on my own yes, but it would be nice to be part of a guild that also helps.

also, the more I hear about UWF the more I like it. I will admit I am turned off by the idea of a large guild. However, I think maybe UWF is so large because it's a good guild. I will have to look into it ;)

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Re: Curious? Why do you need a guild for this?

Well, as I said, there are lots of good guilds. You can try UWF and decide if you like it. If you don't, maybe we can recommend some other guilds for you. You're paying to play - you should be able to play in whatever guild you want, no hard feelings.

L

Lady Lovely

UWF is known for helping newer players up onto their feet.....give and take...we would love to have you give us a try:)
Seems to me from your post your more interested in pvm at this point and that would be us :thumbup1:

iLLegal Means

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm "the town drunk", I usually hanging out in Haven. When I see a (young) player I always ask if they need anything. I always give them a free GM spined suit of good stats... if they are a warrior I will make them a GM weapon... if a mage I will give them a full spellbook.

Most of the regulars of Haven know of "the drunk" and will send the NEW player to me. I'm in BMC, we are mostly crafters... miners by trade... so we really don't hunt or PVP per say.... but we do help the NEW folks best we can.

P.S.
I try not to judge folk per say... But I notice that a lot of the NEW players are players using the 14 day trial deal... only some of them register for game pay, and some are regulars players opening up another account. There are some that are regular players and will use the 14 trial deal to receive free stuff and ask gold.

Paps

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UWF is known for helping newer players up onto their feet.....give and take.
beyond maybe giving said `new players GM made armor and a weapon or two,,,showing them a few `1rst week hunt spots` can you really say this is true?Does the guild teach each and every new member the benefits of 45 hci-dci for dexxors,,the plus side to 40% lmc for anyone,,,or the reason why a mage would like 2/6 cast/cast recovery??
Now if "overwhelmimg ingame spawn with sheer numbers = helping newer players" to you then yes,,,uwf is definately the guild for you,,,however if you actually want a group that will teach you game mechanics you might wish to look elsewhere.[assuming you really want to learn]

L

Lura

beyond maybe giving said `new players GM made armor and a weapon or two,,,showing them a few `1rst week hunt spots` can you really say this is true?Does the guild teach each and every new member the benefits of 45 hci-dci for dexxors,,the plus side to 40% lmc for anyone,,,or the reason why a mage would like 2/6 cast/cast recovery??
Now if "overwhelmimg ingame spawn with sheer numbers = helping newer players" to you then yes,,,uwf is definately the guild for you,,,however if you actually want a group that will teach you game mechanics you might wish to look elsewhere.[assuming you really want to learn]
I would say that it is a true statement. When a player is willing to listen (and mind you, there are a number of players out there who simply want to know "what's good" or "what works", rather than *why* it's good or works), there is always someone in UWF willing to explain all the mechanics.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with UWF's large numbers. :) In fact, having a large group like that is often a good thing, because it means that there are more people available to provide exactly the kind of information you suggest for new players, as well as more people to hunt with at any given time. I, myself, am on at a very strange time of day and yet have never wanted for a hunting partner or someone knowledgeable to explain any question I might have via guild chat.

Ni is a very good guild for PvP and I see that a UWF Emissary kindly recommended it if PvP is what suits the player's interests. There's no reason for the two guilds to be mutually exclusive.

Edited to add - Ni does PvM, as well, I think? Sorry, I didn't know one way or the other. :)

Paps

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's no reason for the two guilds to be mutually exclusive.
I had not nentioned NI guild at all in my previous post.
Guess it all boils down to what one `consideres helping the new player`
Ya know like the old saying
"give a man a fish,,,he eats for a day,,,
teach a man to fish,,,,,,
he sits in a boat all day drinking beer",,,,,,
or something like that.

L

Lura

I had not nentioned NI guild at all in my previous post.
Guess it all boils down to what one `consideres helping the new player`
Ya know like the old saying
"give a man a fish,,,he eats for a day,,,
teach a man to fish,,,,,,
he sits in a boat all day drinking beer",,,,,,
or something like that.
I'm sorry, I made an assumption there about Ni. :) I thought you were putting it forward as another guild for his consideration and wanted to offer some support, as you do cater to both PVP and PVM, in case he was interested in both.

I agree with you that it is important to give players the tools they need to effectively build templates that work in UO; however, you can't force knowledge on someone. If they just want to start killing things and don't care what Damage Increase does or whether or not they *really* need that 100 points of Lumberjacking on their Paladin, well, you can't force them listen.

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I'm a UWFer who is highly dedicated to teaching new players about suit mods and templates. I never let folks get away with asking for a "100 lrc, all 70s" suit without putting some thought into their other needed mods (lmc, fc/fcr, mr, sdi, dci, etc.)

If I learn that folks are interested in PvP, I often point them to Ni. I like to think of UWF and Ni as partners in providing new folks with training on Atlantic - UWF focusing on PvM and Ni focusing on PvP/factions.

Pwny

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I say Ni is a good fit for anyone because That Legend Dragkiris is in it.

C

Caelas

I may have to come find a UWF member soon...been looking for a good guild that actually hunts for my up and coming sampire to join.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Hey, you're welcome to give us a try. We're just a group of subscriber-paying adults that want to have some fun. We have nightly hunts at 9 PM EST. If you decide it's not for you, no one will hold it against you.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Ah, yes. I just approved your UWF forums access. Welcome to the family! :D

C

Czernobog

I have a trammy by the name, The Mighty Quinn. I am interested in joining UWF. Where can I find you guys?

T

Tazar

Just ask in General Chat - someone will usually be around. Also, you might looks for UWF township - North from Trinsic along the shore just before you get to the Trinsic Swamps.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Normally, I'd recommend that you simply grab any person with a UWF guild tag and ask to speak with an emissary. However, with the new changes to titles, it is sometimes harder to recognize UWF'ers who elect not to show their title. That said, you're still likely to see a few of us in Luna or Haven.

You're also welcome to ICQ me: 449-310-493. I'm in the midst of finals/papers this week, but I will be freer next week.

You can also navigate to our website here: www.united-we-fight.com. Looking forward to getting to know The Mighty Quinn. :D