• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is the average player on Siege "better" at UO than production shard players?

• Thread starter MoonglowMerchant
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0

Krystal

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
of course we are. :thumbup1:

I challenge anyone to come to SP to prove us wrong!

Nyses

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
define "better", do you mean, more knowlegable? better at PVP/PvM? or somethign else?

You tend to see a lot of veteran players that have done about everything the game has to offer, but all that is left anywhere, anymore are the Vets, lol.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
bet·ter 1 (btr)
adj. Comparative of good.
1. Greater in excellence or higher in quality.
2. More useful, suitable, or desirable: found a better way to go; a suit with a better fit than that one.
3. More highly skilled or adept: I am better at math than English.
4. Greater or larger: argued for the better part of an hour.
5. More advantageous or favorable; improved: a better chance of success.
6. Healthier or more fit than before: The patient is better today.

...la

M

MoonglowMerchant

bet·ter 1 (btr)
2. More useful, suitable, or desirable: found a better way to go; a suit with a better fit than that one.

...la
So in what ways are Siege players greater in excellence, higher in quality, more highly skilled or adept?

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
bet·ter 1 (btr)

...la
So in what ways are Siege players greater in excellence, higher in quality, more highly skilled or adept?
I suppose you could say, the production shards have been the training grounds for most of the Siege players...la

R

RavenWinterHawk

Nope. I have yet to have a Siege player come over to Atlantic Trammel and challenge me to a duel. Obviously, they fear us.

M

MoonglowMerchant

Nope. I have yet to have a Siege player come over to Atlantic Trammel and challenge me to a duel. Obviously, they fear us.
Do you consider yourself an "average" player?

The question is whether or not an average player on Siege is "better" than an average player on a production shard. I'm sure that there are production shard players who are really "good" at UO. But, how does the average player compare and what makes one player "better" at UO than another?

F

Fayled Dhreams

Why sure !
(we are talking average... right? average to average ?)

course ... "better at UO" is kinda sorta undefined .... like not really a concept ... I mean, Barney already "won UO", a long long time ago.
so ...since no-one CAN actually "best him" and so, be the "bestest/better" ... everyone is left with, trying to be better than the other averages.

And thats where Siegers have the advantage, less to think about and remember, like insurance and NPC price scales, or which is the bestest gimp suit gear for which bestest gimp template of the week ... just throw on some armor and weapons and GO! ...

Don't have to worry about the next game design doc, cause it rarely ever effects them.... and if it does, no need to cry NERF it ! cause they're preety sure they'll be the last to get "it" addressed, and so ... quicker just to adapt to it, just, throw on some different armor and weapons and GO!

Being "better" at UO, would include knowing More players, by name/template/history and associations and philosophies ... and any average sieger ... KNOWS a higher percentage of that, than any prodo player could dream ... shoot ... prodo players are famous ... for falling for "same named character/dress" social engineering scams ... "I'm bobby the Dread lord, your long time friend ... lemme see that on my paperdoll ... I'll give it right back !!!!"
:cool: sure, I've heard about the siege variation, but ...pretty much "just one" and some STILL "pull his finger" *shrugs* more of that on prodo.
therefore, on average .... better on Siege ... and ... less crying ....simple one to one comparison.

:gee:

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
of course we are. :thumbup1:

They fix RoT and I'll finish my character. I have better things to do than spend hours and hours working skills for 3 months.

M

MoonglowMerchant

Why sure !
(we are talking average... right? average to average ?)

course ... "better at UO" is kinda sorta undefined .... like not really a concept ... I mean, Barney already "won UO", a long long time ago.
so ...since no-one CAN actually "best him" and so, be the "bestest/better" ... everyone is left with, trying to be better than the other averages.

And thats where Siegers have the advantage, less to think about and remember, like insurance and NPC price scales, or which is the bestest gimp suit gear for which bestest gimp template of the week ... just throw on some armor and weapons and GO! ...

Don't have to worry about the next game design doc, cause it rarely ever effects them.... and if it does, no need to cry NERF it ! cause they're preety sure they'll be the last to get "it" addressed, and so ... quicker just to adapt to it, just, throw on some different armor and weapons and GO!

Being "better" at UO, would include knowing More players, by name/template/history and associations and philosophies ... and any average sieger ... KNOWS a higher percentage of that, than any prodo player could dream ... shoot ... prodo players are famous ... for falling for "same named character/dress" social engineering scams ... "I'm bobby the Dread lord, your long time friend ... lemme see that on my paperdoll ... I'll give it right back !!!!"
:cool: sure, I've heard about the siege variation, but ...pretty much "just one" and some STILL "pull his finger" *shrugs* more of that on prodo.
therefore, on average .... better on Siege ... and ... less crying ....simple one to one comparison.

:gee:
I tend to agree that the average Siege player is "better" at UO than the average production shard player. As Rico stated before, many Siegers cut their teeth elsewhere before joining our community.

I'm still looking for a fuller definition of what is means to be "good" at UO though...

F

Fayled Dhreams

of course we are.

No ... If your ">Better at UO<" ... you need to give up home field advantage ...

Best two out of three, Away, Home, and Test as a tie breaker ...
">Better at UO<" would be better OVERALL knowlege and skill >in and of< UO .

"Come to Siege" :cool: ... kinda like house hiding ... IF your better at UO ... gonna need to show it on the FULL(open) field ... of UO.

give me my count ... I earned it fair and square.

Burma Shave +1

M

MoonglowMerchant

No ... If your ">Better at UO<" ... you need to give up home field advantage ...

Best two out of three, Away, Home, and Test as a tie breaker ...
">Better at UO<" would be better OVERALL knowlege and skill >in and of< UO .

"Come to Siege" :cool: ... kinda like house hiding ... IF your better at UO ... gonna need to show it on the FULL(open) field ... of UO.

give me my count ... I earned it fair and square.

Burma Shave +1
Now we are getting to it...

So, if being "better" at UO is determined by overall knowledge and skill rank the following:

The average Siege player
The average Production shard player
The average Development team member

H

Hunters Moon

I tend to agree that the average Siege player is "better" at UO than the average production shard player. As Rico stated before, many Siegers cut their teeth elsewhere before joining our community.

I'm still looking for a fuller definition of what is means to be "good" at UO though...
1)PvP-Know your templates strengths and weaknesses and to know what works well against your template and compensate accordingly.

2)PvM-Know the AI tactics that beasts use against you. Know what skill works well with others. Group play VS AI-Determine before-hand who will tank and who will sit back and heal when a situation gets ugly

Those are just examples of what can be seen as being "good" in UO

G

galefan2004

Define better...

Better at PvP? Most likely not...they don't have to face insane item templates and overcome them. They have a lot more room for error because the battles simply take longer. However, I can only imagine how overpowered tamers with greater dragons are on Seige.

Better at PvM? Doubtful. Why would they be? They don't actually use stuff that is difficult to obtain because it can get lost rather easily. I'm not sure there would be an incentive to do end game PvM on seige.

Better at whining? Most definately. They honestly think there 2% of the entire UO population should be put on the fore front even though fixing stuff for them is pointless and they are never happy. So, in the end, they are the best whiners in UO period.

M

MoonglowMerchant

No.

lol...
I disagree. It is why I refer to production shard as UO-lite. Basically, any skill the average player on a production shard has is doubled by the average player on Siege simply because each and every activity requires an awareness of not just the computer generated opponents but also the live ones.

Nystul

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I disagree. It is why I refer to production shard as UO-lite. Basically, any skill the average player on a production shard has is doubled by the average player on Siege simply because each and every activity requires an awareness of not just the computer generated opponents but also the live ones.
I play siege...

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Define better...

Better at PvP? Most likely not...they don't have to face insane item templates and overcome them. They have a lot more room for error because the battles simply take longer. However, I can only imagine how overpowered tamers with greater dragons are on Seige.

Better at PvM? Doubtful. Why would they be? They don't actually use stuff that is difficult to obtain because it can get lost rather easily. I'm not sure there would be an incentive to do end game PvM on seige.

Better at whining? Most definately. They honestly think there 2% of the entire UO population should be put on the fore front even though fixing stuff for them is pointless and they are never happy. So, in the end, they are the best whiners in UO period.
Siegex2
their

...la

M

MoonglowMerchant

Define better...

You have a point about uber item templates. That is something that the average Siege player doesn't typically have to deal with. However, does the average production shard player deal with uber PvP templates? I'd say the average production shard player doesn't PvP at all.

Is the average Siege player better at PvM? I think so. I think the average Siege player has had at least some exposure to high end PvM whereas the average production shard player probably hasn't. There are more high end PvMers on production shards than on Siege however. I don't think anyone would argue that.

Are Siege players better whiners? Why don't you count the number of whining threads from Siege players total and then compare them to the number of whining threads from production shard players about duping alone. Then, get back to me.

:)

Nystul

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The average siege player may be prepared (mentally, maybe not item/resource wise...), aware, and able to react better than the average uo production shard player, but, it in no way makes them "better".

I've done a lot of pvp over the years I have played siege off & on. I get greater challanges on a production shard overall.

I would probably play there if the personal bless crap was not on there. And the stealth, archer, tamers :x.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The average siege player may be prepared (mentally, maybe not item/resource wise...), aware, and able to react better than the average uo production shard player, but, it in no way makes them "better".
Yes it does...la

M

MoonglowMerchant

I've done a lot of pvp over the years I have played siege off & on. I get greater challanges on a production shard overall.

I would probably play there if the personal bless crap was not on there. And the stealth, archer, tamers :x.
So what makes one "better" at UO in your opinion?

Nystul

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes it does...la
I duno, I've seen some terribly idiotic siege players haha

Then again, I've seen some people on production shards so stupid I could'nt stop laughing the rest of the night.

Maybe I should log on uo again for once and take a look around.

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Depends what portion of the game you're looking at

Are Siege players better at.....

Playing Stealth chars? YES
Playing Thieves? YES
Playing Tamers? YES
Ganking Noobs? YES

Putting armor suits together? NO
Playing non-stealth templates? NO
High end PvM? NO
Fast Paced PvP? NO

:stir:

G

galefan2004

Actually, I corrected your spelling...not your grammar...la
No you corrected my spelling (like I care how Seege is spelled) and my grammar (choosing which version of their/they're/there to use is not a spelling mistake).

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Pre-AOS the answer would have been yes.
Post-AOS ... I think it's pretty much an even keel.

Revvo

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you consider yourself an "average" player?

The question is whether or not an average player on Siege is "better" than an average player on a production shard. I'm sure that there are production shard players who are really "good" at UO. But, how does the average player compare and what makes one player "better" at UO than another?
Do you consider yourself to be an "average" player ? I think very few players can say they are equally knowledgeable in all aspects of U.O no matter what server they play. Have you run more than 10 different pvp templates in your time? Have you soloed doom on more than one template? Have you soloed more than one type of peerless? Do you have an indepth understanding of BOD's and all other aspects of crafting? If you can answer yes to ALL those questions then you would probably be considered an above average U.O player, it really doesn't matter what server you play on.

M

MoonglowMerchant

Playing Thieves? YES
Playing Tamers? YES
Ganking Noobs? YES

High end PvM? NO
Fast Paced PvP? NO

Again, I'm asking about average Siege players versus average production shard players. Since the average production shard player doesn't PvP at all, the nod there has to go to Siege.

PvM is debatable. (Did I spell that right Rico?) I know there are more high end PvMers on production shards. I also know that the average player on Siege typically has experience in Doom, at spawns, and with peerless.

I think on average I'd give the PvM nod to Siegers simply because I doubt that the average production shard players has ever done a spawn.

Nystul

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Playing Thieves? YES
Playing Tamers? YES
Ganking Noobs? YES

High end PvM? NO
Fast Paced PvP? NO

That was a waste of your time...

M

MoonglowMerchant

That is a bad question.

Why?

Because this i all about who is "better", and of course, it is all "opinion". Which is why threads like this get nowhere :).
It's a good question since all I'm really interested in are opinions.

Being "good" at UO has no definition other than the one given to it by players. I'm simply curious about yours.