• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is magery 120 worth it?

mihali

Sage
Tamer temp with taming/lore 120, magery now at about 109, eval 106, med 100. Trying to build death ray tamer. Have magery 115 power scroll. Already invested in a (cheap) Eval 120 scroll.
Is it really worth it to spend 27-28 million on a magery 120 scroll? Would it make that much difference? I am not very rich and cringe at the 28 M cost of the magery 120 PS. Don't know what to do, or just use the 115 ps and see how it goes. Ty for any insight.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Tamer temp with taming/lore 120, magery now at about 109, eval 106, med 100. Trying to build death ray tamer. Have magery 115 power scroll. Already invested in a (cheap) Eval 120 scroll.
Is it really worth it to spend 27-28 million on a magery 120 scroll? Would it make that much difference? I am not very rich and cringe at the 28 M cost of the magery 120 PS. Don't know what to do, or just use the 115 ps and see how it goes. Ty for any insight.
I use it with 100 magery with a level 1 primer on new toons that do shrine battles. It does a lot of damage.

Higher skill will do more damage. You should try it with 110 skill and see if it is something you like. When you get hit, it turns off, so it is not something you can use for each encounter.

mihali

Sage
I use it with 100 magery with a level 1 primer on new toons that do shrine battles. It does a lot of damage.

Higher skill will do more damage. You should try it with 110 skill and see if it is something you like. When you get hit, it turns off, so it is not something you can use for each encounter.
But I bet decent spell for a tamer with a tanking pet, and with a slayer susceptible enemy then about WOD equivalent damage every 3 seconds, and not just redlined enemy, as long as you have enough MR, as it probably eats massive mana with each 500 hp- 1000 hp shot. Will try with what I have on now with 110 and see. Also have 115 PS that I contemplate to possibly use, but if the 120 has specials/perks regarding this, might blow the 28 million along with some guilt feeling. Might actually try that on TC1 first before 28 M sacrifice. (I know, it's tempting to use the RMT $4 for it, but so far I have been clean and will not do that for this anyways - the though comes to mind at times though :

"Do I blow away 20 real life hours (1200 minutes) doing spawns in Fel, just to try to get the one specific 120 magery or other one, or blow away $4 or so (equivalent to 6 minutes of real-life work pay) and get the blasted PS 120? from an RMT'er site?"
But I refuse to do that, and will never do that, would rather turn the lights off and walk away.

**By the way thanks Devs for the Pet Revamp making the PS prices become untouchable for especially new players!

Nice planning! Looks like No foresight as to consequences, just like a mad scientist mixes concoctions to "just see what happens", then **Boom**.
My point is, with a little foresight, and a little memory of what has happened in the past with different circumstances in the game, the Pet Revamp requirements for advancements could have been done in a way that does not cripple new players, and PS could be more affordable then.

My apologies for the rant, and please feel free to remove this post if it is inappropriate.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The pet revamp made many scrolls higher. But Magery scrolls have always been pricey. Only a few pets have 120 magery. 110 is plenty, pets do not fizzle.

The popularity of Magery is why they they sell for a higher price.

You will be impressed with the damage output at 110.

In the next event you can walk up to a mob that is being attacked by a pet or player and blast them, move to next. Will work great in a spawn scenario.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My Death Ray Tamer/Mage © runs 120 Magery/Eval/Med/Taming/Lore/Vet, so 6x120. He's also Human, so i can use Wraith Form scrolls to go into Wraith Form and regain Mana while channeling Death Ray (some foes i can sustain Death Ray indefinitely due to this). I use a 120 Disco+Conductive Blast Triton for tanking/debuffing the enemy, making them take even more Energy damage.
The 120 Magery doesn't just provide more Death Ray damage, it also provides 100% success chance with Resurrection spell. Along with the 120 Veterinary, i have a 100% success chance at rezzing players or pets, so i also have Knight of Compassion to rez them with more Health.

I use my Death Ray Tamer/Mage a lot when fighting Blackthorn Captains, just because he provides more power and utility there than any of my other chars. His 120 Eval Paralyze Fields are invaluable for controlling the spawn, his 120 Eval+Slayer Spellbook is great for then clearing the minions with Chain Lightning or Meteor Swarm. He and his Triton make the Captains incredibly vulnerable to Energy Damage (so everyone else deals more energy damage too). He can completely drain the melee Captains of Mana with Wraith Form, making them unable to use abilities like Frenzied Whirlwind or Mirror Image (the caster Captains regen Mana fast enough that i can't drain them completely, but they also keep me topped off on Mana as well). His 100% rez chance is very useful too, quickly getting people/pets back into the fight. Not to mention he dishes out a ton of damage to the Captains, i've seen 1,000+ damage Death Ray ticks with an Undead Slayer Spellbook against Sampire Captains before.
On Atlantic, each Minax Artifact is worth approximately 300k (you get 1-3 per Captain), and the 100 point rewards sell for about 30 Mill. It's very easy to rack up Minax Artifacts when my guild does Blackthorn Captains.

Here's a screenshot of me dealing a 667 damage Death Ray tick (not counting my Triton's 100 damage bite) to Navrey Night-Eyes with a Spider Slayer Spellbook. Navrey normally has a pretty high 65-75 Energy Resist, so that tells you how powerful the Energy Resist debuffage is from 120 Disco+Conductive Blast+Death Ray.
Navrey DR.png

Last edited:

mihali

Sage
My Death Ray Tamer/Mage © runs 120 Magery/Eval/Med/Taming/Lore/Vet, so 6x120. He's also Human, so i can use Wraith Form scrolls to go into Wraith Form and regain Mana while channeling Death Ray (some foes i can sustain Death Ray indefinitely due to this). I use a 120 Disco+Conductive Blast Triton for tanking/debuffing the enemy, making them take even more Energy damage.
The 120 Magery doesn't just provide more Death Ray damage, it also provides 100% success chance with Resurrection spell. Along with the 120 Veterinary, i have a 100% success chance at rezzing players or pets, so i also have Knight of Compassion to rez them with more Health.

I use my Death Ray Tamer/Mage a lot when fighting Blackthorn Captains, just because he provides more power and utility there than any of my other chars. His 120 Eval Paralyze Fields are invaluable for controlling the spawn, his 120 Eval+Slayer Spellbook is great for then clearing the minions with Chain Lightning or Meteor Swarm. He and his Triton make the Captains incredibly vulnerable to Energy Damage (so everyone else deals more energy damage too). He can completely drain the melee Captains of Mana with Wraith Form, making them unable to use abilities like Frenzied Whirlwind or Mirror Image (the caster Captains regen Mana fast enough that i can't drain them completely, but they also keep me topped off on Mana as well). His 100% rez chance is very useful too, quickly getting people/pets back into the fight. Not to mention he dishes out a ton of damage to the Captains, i've seen 1,000+ damage Death Ray ticks with an Undead Slayer Spellbook against Sampire Captains before.
On Atlantic, each Minax Artifact is worth approximately 300k (you get 1-3 per Captain), and the 100 point rewards sell for about 30 Mill. It's very easy to rack up Minax Artifacts when my guild does Blackthorn Captains.

Here's a screenshot of me dealing a 667 damage Death Ray tick (not counting my Triton's 100 damage bite) to Navrey Night-Eyes with a Spider Slayer Spellbook. Navrey normally has a pretty high 65-75 Energy Resist, so that tells you how powerful the Energy Resist debuffage is from 120 Disco+Conductive Blast+Death Ray.
View attachment 140512
Awesome spell indeed under the right circumstances. I think I will stick to 120 magery for now, since thats all I can afford.

Ty for info. May actually try for mix: Death ray tamer, plus Spellweaver, but may have to sacrifice, Vet and power for versatility. Will try on TC1 and see how it works.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Awesome spell indeed under the right circumstances. I think I will stick to 120 magery for now, since thats all I can afford.

Ty for info. May actually try for mix: Death ray tamer, plus Spellweaver, but may have to sacrifice, Vet and power for versatility. Will try on TC1 and see how it works.
Just my 2 cents on it... I think it's worth it if you building a toon that you plan on spending a good amount of time playing. If you are just looking to use it on an off-shard event toon (or something like that) then you won't need it because you just need to do damage. Just buy the scroll to avoid wasting time (if you can) and use that toon to make the money back (blackthorns is a good way to make steady money - along with the new egg thing coming up). Other benefits of having 120 magery is that you can equip a -20 magery bow (with spell channel / HLD/HLA /etc) to debuff your target while your pet tanks and it's like you have 120 archery (not sure if you can shoot while using death ray but's a good second option regardless).

I dropped vet a while ago in favor of SW and haven't looked back; I think it's worth the switch especially if you are using a cu/triton with healing. You will need to be attentive to your pets health but overall it's an upgrade IMO because with SW gift of renewal you get a bump to heals and if it's going to be a tough fight you can hit your pet with gift of life for a pet rez.

mihali

Sage
Ty for info. With mage -20 Comp Bow will still need tactics to some extent, and also will need some DEX, bump stamina up somehow, that may take out SW 120 from possibility etc, but agree these are nice options. Also agree Triton / Cu will be main options since will not be able to use taming masteries during the fight, but will be able to use enhanced remote imagery heals with Eval of 120. I suspect heals will also interrupt the channel, but can recast again.

Last edited:

mihali

Sage

View attachment 140512
Do you have AI on the Disco and CB triton? Or just Disco and CB for the constant debuffs and some damage? Ty for info.

mihali

Sage

View attachment 140512
I like the Elf mana bump, so will keep elf. Will try with necro at 20-30 from jewels or even just necro 20 to cast from scrolls. The 8% leach from zero spirit speak plus MR from the suit may help keep the channel open more time. What you think?

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Ty for info. With mage -20 Comp Bow will still need tactics to some extent, and also will need some DEX, bump stamina up somehow, that may take out SW 120 from possibility etc, but agree these are nice options. Also agree Triton / Cu will be main options since will not be able to use taming masteries during the fight, but will be able to use enhanced remote imagery heals with Eval of 120. I suspect heals will also interrupt the channel, but can recast again.
You didn't get the point. You don't need comp bow on a mage. Magical short bow or repeating crossbow is enough, don't need tactics. All purpose of this bow is HLA/HLD applied to your enemy. So your pet will hit more and bosses will hit it less often.

mihali

Sage
You didn't get the point. You don't need comp bow on a mage. Magical short bow or repeating crossbow is enough, don't need tactics. All purpose of this bow is HLA/HLD applied to your enemy. So your pet will hit more and bosses will hit it less often.
Awesome info makes a ton of sense I think magical short bow also needs no arrows? Nice, thanks!

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
100%. The whole strategy there is simply to debuff the enemy to make your pet hit more and get hit less which further decreases the need for Vet (especially on triton/cu).

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Also agree Triton / Cu will be main options since will not be able to use taming masteries during the fight, but will be able to use enhanced remote imagery heals with Eval of 120. I suspect heals will also interrupt the channel, but can recast again.
Heal/Greater Heal strength is determined by Magery skill, not Eval. 120 SW is a viable alternative to 120 Vet in several situations, and does provide a good bit of utility/damage. Arcane Empowerment+Greater Heal for some big 80-100 HP heals, Thunderstorm/Essence of Wind to AoE down spawn as your pet is tanking, Arcane Empowerment+WoD for big execution hits, Attunement for some self defense, and Gift of Renewal for helping keep pet alive. If you're running Magery Mastery for Death Ray though, you won't be getting the +3 Arcane Focus bonus of Lvl 3 SW Mastery, so need to make sure you're on a high population shard to consistently get Lvl 6 Arcane Focus. I personally though like the ability to rez pets, and the extra stable slots.

I like the Elf mana bump, so will keep elf. Will try with necro at 20-30 from jewels or even just necro 20 to cast from scrolls. The 8% leach from zero spirit speak plus MR from the suit may help keep the channel open more time. What you think?
The 8% Mana Drain from JoAT Wraith Form is excellent, and i say far better than the +20 Mana from Elf racial. Against opponents with high Mana/mana regen, i can sustain Death Ray indefinitely, or when AoEing large groups i can regain enough Mana to keep spamming AoE. Against opponents with lower Mana/MR, Wraith Form still provides some extra sustain, and deprives the enemy of Mana so they can't use Special abilities/spells.

Do you have AI on the Disco and CB triton? Or just Disco and CB for the constant debuffs and some damage? Ty for info.
Just 120 Disco+CB. With just those two, once the Triton lands Discord, it has Conductive Blast debuff on the enemy damn near all the time, at least 66-75% of the time. Keeping the victim's Energy Resist debuffed, contributes far more damage for me (and everyone else attacking) than the Triton performing AI would. Adding AI would just lower the Conductive Blast uptime.

Other benefits of having 120 magery is that you can equip a -20 magery bow (with spell channel / HLD/HLA /etc) to debuff your target while your pet tanks and it's like you have 120 archery (not sure if you can shoot while using death ray but's a good second option regardless).
You can't attack while channeling Death Ray, or it'll interrupt the Death Ray channel. My Disco/Tamer uses this bow for applying HLA/HLD to the opponent.
Debuff Bow 3.PNG

mihali

Sage
Extremely valuable information, many thanks!
One of the main reasons I like the Elf is the Cu taming. Have made some UO gold doing that, and it is fun, so likely will have something like 20 necro and scrolls to cast the wraith form. Maybe that will work? Will have to see. Meanwhile the Magery 120 scroll was bought and used, magery is now 115.3, going up gradually. Next will be to boost the Eval, now 108 or son, hopefully soon 120 also. The suit is with LRC 100 and LMC 40, MR +25 so far, also using Med 100, may have to go a little lower.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One of the main reasons I like the Elf is the Cu taming. Have made some UO gold doing that, and it is fun, so likely will have something like 20 necro and scrolls to cast the wraith form. Maybe that will work? Will have to see. Meanwhile the Magery 120 scroll was bought and used, magery is now 115.3, going up gradually. Next will be to boost the Eval, now 108 or son, hopefully soon 120 also. The suit is with LRC 100 and LMC 40, MR +25 so far, also using Med 100, may have to go a little lower.
Now you must venture into the world of highest SDI possible.

For the Mana regen, there is a nice calculator for running consume. One of my tamer/mages just needs 30 Meditation.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
If you will be in wraith form, can also try to switch Med for SS .

mihali

Sage
Heal/Greater Heal strength is determined by Magery skill, not Eval. 120 SW is a viable alternative to 120 Vet in several situations, and does provide a good bit of utility/damage. Arcane Empowerment+Greater Heal for some big 80-100 HP heals, Thunderstorm/Essence of Wind to AoE down spawn as your pet is tanking, Arcane Empowerment+WoD for big execution hits, Attunement for some self defense, and Gift of Renewal for helping keep pet alive. If you're running Magery Mastery for Death Ray though, you won't be getting the +3 Arcane Focus bonus of Lvl 3 SW Mastery, so need to make sure you're on a high population shard to consistently get Lvl 6 Arcane Focus. I personally though like the ability to rez pets, and the extra stable slots.

The 8% Mana Drain from JoAT Wraith Form is excellent, and i say far better than the +20 Mana from Elf racial. Against opponents with high Mana/mana regen, i can sustain Death Ray indefinitely, or when AoEing large groups i can regain enough Mana to keep spamming AoE. Against opponents with lower Mana/MR, Wraith Form still provides some extra sustain, and deprives the enemy of Mana so they can't use Special abilities/spells.

Just 120 Disco+CB. With just those two, once the Triton lands Discord, it has Conductive Blast debuff on the enemy damn near all the time, at least 66-75% of the time. Keeping the victim's Energy Resist debuffed, contributes far more damage for me (and everyone else attacking) than the Triton performing AI would. Adding AI would just lower the Conductive Blast uptime.

You can't attack while channeling Death Ray, or it'll interrupt the Death Ray channel. My Disco/Tamer uses this bow for applying HLA/HLD to the opponent.
View attachment 140547
All info here by the more experienced players greatly appreciated.
I finally decided to not use SW on the death ray mage tamer, and just keep him as a mage 120/eval 120 tamer, since I also like rezzing pets and players at events.
One more last question :
Do you find the DR tamer/Disco/CB Triton combination useful for events such as EM events with many others around and Osiredon Scalis events also? Or you switch to a different tamer/pet set up? (Lots of these events have no slayer susceptibility to the boss, and Osiredon has corrupted mana so I would guess you would not use Wraith form to leach mana from him?). Also for Osiredon the best resists for the pet would be physical/cold/energy resists maxed out. Ty for the insights!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I finally decided to not use SW on the death ray mage tamer,
Its pretty easy to make a Mage Tamer with Weaving.
1676512872613.png

I just have 35 skill on Jewels. Can only have 41 pets tho. :(

This one can run consume and cast spells including a few WoD at the end.

I have another with more Meditation and more skills on jewels that can run consume and cast 8 WoD before low mana.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Its pretty easy to make a Mage Tamer with Weaving.
View attachment 140598

I just have 35 skill on Jewels. Can only have 41 pets tho. :(

This one can run consume and cast spells including a few WoD at the end.

I have another with more Meditation and more skills on jewels that can run consume and cast 8 WoD before low mana.
Why 41 ? You can put on +5 veterinary ring before stabling pet . And get your desired 42.
Or replace your pants with craftable meditation ones(spellwoven or something) +balakai staff =>don't need 10meditation.

Interesting template you have , thanks !

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why 41 ? You can put on +5 veterinary ring before stabling pet . And get your desired 42.
Or replace your pants with craftable meditation ones(spellwoven or something) +balakai staff =>don't need 10meditation.

Interesting template you have , thanks !
Human, I hate changing out items. I made up the difference in LRC between the 50 SDI book and the 30 slayer books so I can swap without losing my 100LRC.

Does the staff have 50sdi?

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Human, I hate changing out items. I made up the difference in LRC between the 50 SDI book and the 30 slayer books so I can swap without losing my 100LRC.

Does the staff have 50sdi?
Staff has mage weapon , so you being hit less. Invis and para fields don't need SDI. Mage healing too.
This is just suggestion that you don't need SDI all the time. And I play with pretty high ping, so may be this all is nonsense for you.

Scott1234

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
SDI does not influence death ray damage.
use a lesser slayer (preferred) or super slayer spell book for the target monster, if applicable.
‘if no slayer with death ray, equip balakai staff, or one handed MR9 mage weap -15 weapon (with spell channel), while death ray running.

sdi50 book is best used for WOD, which is influenced by SDI, but not by slayer.
for ebolt, flame strike, etc use lesser slayer or super slayer if possible. Even a crafted slayer book will out damage an sdi50 book if the target has a slayer.

use lmc55 gear if you run in wraith form.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
For future reference, you can probably get away just fine with a 115 Magery scroll if cost is prohibitive. You may occasionally fizzle on some 8th Circle level spells, but only ones I feel like you will really even use are EV, Resurrection and perhaps occasionally Earthquake.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For future reference, you can probably get away just fine with a 115 Magery scroll if cost is prohibitive. You may occasionally fizzle on some 8th Circle level spells, but only ones I feel like you will really even use are EV, Resurrection and perhaps occasionally Earthquake.
Pretty much. And it's what, over 80% chance to successfully cast at that point? If you keep failing, it's just because RNG hates you.

Yup. After the Deceit event ended, I revised/enhanced an SDI suit I made a few years back. I'm currently sitting at 171 SDI (without Reaper Form/Arcane Empowerment/a town bonus - the spells boost me to about 210 SDI.) I have room to go a little higher too - my Bracelet only has 15 SDI, and I'm not using an SDI cleanup Talisman. But, outside of a little more WoD damage, I don't think it's worth it to tack on that extra SDI - my WoD already does 978 damage. Two more points on top of it is an ultimately negligible difference.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do you find the DR tamer/Disco/CB Triton combination useful for events such as EM events with many others around and Osiredon Scalis events also? Or you switch to a different tamer/pet set up? (Lots of these events have no slayer susceptibility to the boss, and Osiredon has corrupted mana so I would guess you would not use Wraith form to leach mana from him?). Also for Osiredon the best resists for the pet would be physical/cold/energy resists maxed out. Ty for the insights!
Death Ray Tamer/Mage © with 120 Disco+CB Triton is very useful for EM events or Osiredon. Especially if you shout out for people to use Energy damage. With how many Tamers use Cu Sidhe's at those events, the Conductive Blast debuff will be buffing the Cu's damage too. Osiredon has Corrupted Life, not Corrupted Mana, so Mana Drain/Leech works fine on him.

mihali

Sage
Death Ray Tamer/Mage © with 120 Disco+CB Triton is very useful for EM events or Osiredon. Especially if you shout out for people to use Energy damage. With how many Tamers use Cu Sidhe's at those events, the Conductive Blast debuff will be buffing the Cu's damage too. Osiredon has Corrupted Life, not Corrupted Mana, so Mana Drain/Leech works fine on him.
Very nice! So train disco first, max it out to 120, then later add healing to 120 then last CB, so that disco will go up faster, is this correct?
Also will need to max out phys/cold/energy resists on the Triton likely? The Triton I will use has 78% intensity and 118 Wres/160 res magic resist, so will be pretty decent eventually with Disco 120, Heal 120 rest 110 to make it cost effective. Train disco or heal first before adding CB? Can use disco on the pet for a little faster progression also.
Ty again!

Last edited:

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Very nice! So train disco first, max it out to 120, then later add healing to 120 then last CB, so that disco will go up faster, is this correct?
Also will need to max out phys/cold/energy resists on the Triton likely? The Triton I will use has 78% intensity and 118 Wres/160 res magic resist, so will be pretty decent eventually with Disco 120, Heal 120 rest 110 to make it cost effective. Train disco or heal first before adding CB? Can use disco on the pet for a little faster progression also.
Ty again!
If you are training disco over some obstacle -doesn't matter if pet have CB/AI/whatever already or not. Can train healing at the same time if pet is poisoned. Examples are : Dimetrosaurs in eodon (teleport over the river near Urali village ) or Diseased Blood elemental in Shame(there are islands where you can mark rune) .

mihali

Sage
Very nice thanks! I think there was a time when you could make a pet disco itself by target/attack itself? I suspect disco tamer is the way to go, and have disco 120 on him. Also will try the slugs in Underworld for disco and basic training, esp disco. These tritons have no wasted moves like Cus (Bleed) for that so heal and disco alone, but suspect will go nice when pet is at 100+ to disco it. I suspect it will still be a long process. Will start training and will post what happens. So far Margery is at 117 and ran out of alacrity scrolls that were cheap, don't want to blow 1-2 m each next. Next really is the Eval, hopefully it will go up smoothly, so far 109 want it get real 120 same as imagery.
This will be fun, and keep me busy, lol.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Very nice thanks! I think there was a time when you could make a pet disco itself by target/attack itself? I suspect disco tamer is the way to go, and have disco 120 on him. Also will try the slugs in Underworld for disco and basic training, esp disco. These tritons have no wasted moves like Cus (Bleed) for that so heal and disco alone, but suspect will go nice when pet is at 100+ to disco it. I suspect it will still be a long process. Will start training and will post what happens. So far Margery is at 117 and ran out of alacrity scrolls that were cheap, don't want to blow 1-2 m each next. Next really is the Eval, hopefully it will go up smoothly, so far 109 want it get real 120 same as imagery.
This will be fun, and keep me busy, lol.
Training disco on slugs is not very good. Only at the beginning. Later gains are slow. So you either do it in Eodon or Shame (or anywhere , just put 1-2 Cu Side on small island )
Or for fast and fun gains you can do mini champs in SA with ranged tamer (archer or thrower) , in "guard me " mode. On ranged targets disco pet will be forced to use discordance. And you will have small chance to get tinker legs or Berserker breastplate .

I just finished champ spawn and got magery 120 scroll. Now I need to think how to use it wisely. Hard choice.

mihali

Sage
Training disco on slugs is not very good. Only at the beginning. Later gains are slow. So you either do it in Eodon or Shame (or anywhere , just put 1-2 Cu Side on small island )
Or for fast and fun gains you can do mini champs in SA with ranged tamer (archer or thrower) , in "guard me " mode. On ranged targets disco pet will be forced to use discordance. And you will have small chance to get tinker legs or Berserker breastplate .

I just finished champ spawn and got magery 120 scroll. Now I need to think how to use it wisely. Hard choice.
Thank you for the insights, and congrats for the scroll!

mihali

Sage
Thank you for the insights, and congrats for the scroll!
Now for the last leg of magery, 119.3 real skill. May get slow here on. Next will be Eval to 120 now 109.3 real skill. Keep casting stuff I guess, got 2 Eval alacrity scrolls that may help, use them towards the end? Keep casting poison or mana drain on Wolf Spider? Keep casting gates? Will have to see.

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
You gain eval from every spell, create food don't need a target and you can unload while you are casting.

Scott1234

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Now for the last leg of magery, 119.3 real skill. May get slow here on. Next will be Eval to 120 now 109.3 real skill. Keep casting stuff I guess, got 2 Eval alacrity scrolls that may help, use them towards the end? Keep casting poison or mana drain on Wolf Spider? Keep casting gates? Will have to see.
Wraith form casting EQ at the acid slug pit.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ty again!
Yes, i usually train Disco to 120 first at the Acid Slug Pit, before putting CB on them. A Triton with 80/80/55/55/90 Resists works fine against Osiredon, so not necessary to max out Cold Resist (you can if you want though).
For Magery gains, i usually use a fast -29 Mage Wep that is 100% Poison Damage, and train on a tame Wolf Spider with GM Wrest. Wearing +DEX/Stam gear for 1.25s swing speed and 45% HCI (Mace & Shield Glasses for 30% HLD too) helps. For Eval gains, i just spam Reactive Armor or Create Food.

mihali

Sage
Yes, i usually train Disco to 120 first at the Acid Slug Pit, before putting CB on them. A Triton with 80/80/55/55/90 Resists works fine against Osiredon, so not necessary to max out Cold Resist (you can if you want though).
For Magery gains, i usually use a fast -29 Mage Wep that is 100% Poison Damage, and train on a tame Wolf Spider with GM Wrest. Wearing +DEX/Stam gear for 1.25s swing speed and 45% HCI (Mace & Shield Glasses for 30% HLD too) helps. For Eval gains, i just spam Reactive Armor or Create Food.
Thanks for info! Magery now 120, working on Eval. Will try our approach for the Disco. I understand that it will take a little bit of time, and discord the pet after 105-110 disco, use AT mastery III constantly. Hopefully a few days.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Why do we feel everything is a race
I think because there is no Siege skill gain limits on Provo shards.
And actually it is harder (but also more interesting) to choose skill levels other that Legendary.

Only skills worth maxing to 120 are bardic and taming. Only mastery Lvl3 is important is taming. Other skills work good enough with 110 power scrolls and lower level masteries. Sure 120 is better.
But even thinking to go to RMT website is no good. Buying something from them you toss away amount of joy and happiness you get when you will farm it yourself , or at least sell something for same amount of gold.

congrats on your 120 @mihali
Now you are ready to answer your initial question in the topic : worth it or not ?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Only skills worth maxing to 120 are bardic and taming
Every mastery benefits from real skill, and primer level, by time or intensity.

Masteries are special abilities available only to those who have trained their skills carefully, modified skill points from items are not counted.

Toughness
toughnessToggle ability that provides the mace fighter with increased hit points based on the mace fighter’s tactics and mace fighting skill, and mastery level that consumes mana while active

Not as good with lower skill and not primer 3.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You really compare lower efficiency of toughness/death ray/whatever and very absence of consume ?
Toughness works with Lvl1 primer.
Not for as many HP. And a lvl 3 primer for Macing can be found on the ground.

We are talking about skill level I thought. Very few HP without skills.

mihali

Sage
The last leg of eval 120, super slow with just alacrity, and after 2 alacrities at 118, and long time casting to gain, I gave up, and discovered in my SOT stash that I had 3 SOTs one for 0.6 and two for 0.3. So done with that task. So now 120 magery and 120 eval. Taming 110 - 120 with ring, med 110, vet 120, lore 120. Added 20 Necro, it fits ok, and becomes 115 with the necro Tali, plus 15 SS with same Tali. Makes a difference with mana regaining! Getting 8-9 % mana back with damages, not too bad, and it works! Significant increase in damage with DR, but also other spells. So now this tamer instead of relying only on just pet damage will have some firepower in his sleeve, plus paralysis boost for para taming Cus seems better and longer, spells hit a little harder as well as heals seem better. Yep it was worth it!
Next will be the change in rings to make them meaningful to this template, also the +4 MR gear should not be too hard. Some SDI gear useful for some of the other spells also. Slayer books not too awefully hard to get at semi-low pricing.
Next will be the little bit of learning to quickly use CC macros for the magery spells, also not too hard. (So far magery was used just for recall/gate, heal, invisibility and some fields). It will be fun to use magery.
Final leg of the DR tamer will be the pet, likely the longer task also should not be too hard with the correct approaches as outlined here by the more experienced players. The insights here are greatly appreciated.

So for quick casts of wraith form, instead of trying to cast 4-5 times, would need wraith form scrolls. The Necro NPC's do not sell these? Or are there specific NPC's that sell them? Did VS search and could not find them also. Or there are specific mobs that drop them?

mihali

Sage
I think because there is no Siege skill gain limits on Provo shards.
And actually it is harder (but also more interesting) to choose skill levels other that Legendary.

Only skills worth maxing to 120 are bardic and taming. Only mastery Lvl3 is important is taming. Other skills work good enough with 110 power scrolls and lower level masteries. Sure 120 is better.
But even thinking to go to RMT website is no good. Buying something from them you toss away amount of joy and happiness you get when you will farm it yourself , or at least sell something for same amount of gold.

congrats on your 120 @mihali
Now you are ready to answer your initial question in the topic : worth it or not ?
So far with damage output with DR and the other perks, looks like it was worth it!

mihali

Sage
Thanks kindly for the insights provided here. Finally! Disco on the 78% Triton is 120. hard to believe, but done. Now the next phase is to get healing to 115 (now 105) and I know how to train that one. After that, testing with the DR tamer will start, to see what is best healing 115 or healing 120, whether that makes a big difference or not in tackling big things with the DR tamer. Rest of skills at 110 except the wrestling 118 and mag resist at 160. Close to 1k skill points remaining also at level 5. Thanks again for the info!:)

mihali

Sage
SDI does not influence death ray damage.
use a lesser slayer (preferred) or super slayer spell book for the target monster, if applicable.
‘if no slayer with death ray, equip balakai staff, or one handed MR9 mage weap -15 weapon (with spell channel), while death ray running.

for ebolt, flame strike, etc use lesser slayer or super slayer if possible. Even a crafted slayer book will out damage an sdi50 book if the target has a slayer.

use lmc55 gear if you run in wraith form.
Isn't LMC capped at 40%, how do we get LMC 55 to work?