• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is it worth playing again?

C

Contra Mundi

Hey, Catskills folks.

I just had a simple question. As a person who played UO from launch to maybe a year before ML, mostly PvPing and sometimes doing Champ Spawns in the later days, is it worth playing again? For reference, I quit mainly because my friends had all quit and it didn't seem like there was any gripping, new content.

I'd post this in UHALL, but I used to post there a good bit and the signal to noise ratio was always abyssmal. In all honesty I should check to see if it's still like that first, but the idea of going there makes my stomach turn.

Thanks!

G

Some things have been added, some taken away. I would recommend giving it a try again, I have been playing for 3.5 years and have only recently discovered that there are a lot of good people on cats shard to become friends with. My first 3+ years I played mostly solo or with 1 or 2 other people but now I am expanding my circle. There is usually no shortage of people to do "stuff" with if you find the right group, just get back in the pool and see if the water is to your liking. What ya got to lose...

L

Lord Franklin

<blockquote><hr>

...gripping, new content...

[/ QUOTE ]

You can always try out Kingdom Reborn and see if that floats your boat. As far as epic plot lines, there's been one going on forever now about blackrock and... well... we don't know when/if it will ever be finished. Even I'd like to punch Inu in the head for this story that seems to have no ending, and I'm the good brother. Is it entertaining? Yeah, sometimes. Is it "gripping and new"? That's probably pushing it.

This game has always been better when you've got friends to hang out with. Fortunately, Catskills has no end of great people who will welcome you back with whatever you might need.

Franklin

C

Contra Mundi

The old "can I have your stuff" gag still hasn't gotten old, eh?

Sorry, my keep and most of my swag decayed long ago. C'est la vie.

Oh, and Lord Franklin's comment reminds me. Are there still Event Moderators trying to run events on the various servers? And are they still doing those globally scripted events that Draconi seemed to like running when he joined the team (as I recall, anyway...I do have a bad memory)?

G

<blockquote><hr>

The old "can I have your stuff" gag still hasn't gotten old, eh? .

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh ya it has gotten old...but then so have I....
what's your point??

I

imported_Des

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

The old "can I have your stuff" gag still hasn't gotten old, eh? .

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh ya it has gotten old...but then so have I....
what's your point??

[/ QUOTE ]

You, old, never!

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Are there still Event Moderators trying to run events on the various servers?

[/ QUOTE ]No, but it does seem as though the Live team is going to do some events where they actually have a real human around while things are going on, though probably not very frequently.

<blockquote><hr>

And are they still doing those globally scripted events that Draconi seemed to like running when he joined the team (as I recall, anyway...I do have a bad memory)?

[/ QUOTE ]Yes, though it's been infrequent lately. Hopefully things will pick up more before too long.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Are there still Event Moderators trying to run events on the various servers?

[/ QUOTE ]No, but it does seem as though the Live team is going to do some events where they actually have a real human around while things are going on, though probably not very frequently.

<blockquote><hr>

And are they still doing those globally scripted events that Draconi seemed to like running when he joined the team (as I recall, anyway...I do have a bad memory)?

[/ QUOTE ]Yes, though it's been infrequent lately. Hopefully things will pick up more before too long.

[/ QUOTE ]Starting up again

I

imported_Gwendar-SP

Very good question. I guess as someone posted - take a look at KR and see if you can stand it. If you can tolorate the graphics and the loss of UOAM then maybe it is.

C

Contra Mundi

Omg, a lowly fellow with ~4 posts merited a Dev response (well, I started the thread anyway...don't take this away from me ^.^)!

Hi Draconi! Neat to see you all EA-ified now.

Back to the topic, I'm leaning towards checking the game out again. Could I log into my account if I activated it and installed off a disk from a previous expansion?

I

imported_Gwendar-SP

yep - your folks should be sleeping peacefully. You did lose any houses tho.

To benefit from the new stuff - pearless, talisman and other things you might grab a ML upgrade code. If you buy a box for the 9th edition you will get a semi up to date cd and a code to upgrade to ML.

You can play in 2d or KR. Kr is a new client - still needs much work. It is a monsterous download with huge patches. KR and 2d can be downloaded from several places like fileplanet. 3D is no longer an option.

EA is pushing KR tho the client still needs a great deal of work. They are pushing it harder than they did 3D. Some love it and some can't stand it.

J

jones101

I'm kinda in the same boat. To be honest, I don't know. UO was my first MMO, so I know it. So I guess I'm kinda scared to try to play anything else. There are so many other games out there these days, we actually have choices now. I've played WOW, LOTRO, Guild Wars, and many others, but I always find myself gravitating back to UO. I some times actually long for it. I don't know what the future holds for us diminishing UO players, probally server shut downs and character transfers, but I think I'm going to stick with it to the end. Who knows, maybe one day EA will get off their fourth point of contact, that would be their butts, and start work on UO2 again and update the content. I guess we wil just have to wait and see.

N

neils88

you can do like me, and just do the free DL of KR client... once patching is "ever over", you will have all expansions, etc and can just reactivate your new account, so thie Hindu sounding man on the phone from EA told me;)...

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

you can do like me, and just do the free DL of KR client... once patching is "ever over", you will have all expansions, etc and can just reactivate your new account, so thie Hindu sounding man on the phone from EA told me;)...

[/ QUOTE ]You will NOT have all the expansions. You will have access to all the expansions you previously had.
The KR client provides nothing except a new client, it does not provide access to any new lands. You need to get ML to have access to all of the skills and lands.

If you got a name or something, or have other details that might identify who is giving out wrong information - you might want to send it along to Jeremy ( edalberg AT ea DOT com ) so that they can ensure that their support folks are giving proper information.