• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Bowcraft/Fletching] Is it enhanced?

C

Caelas

I found a really cheap (but good!) bow on a vendor today.

Stats are:

Mana Leech 38
Lower Defence 30
Life Leech 28
Damage Increase 32
Fire 30
Cold 40
Energy 30

My questions is...how can you tell if it has been enchanced or not? I'f love to get some HCI or SSI added to it if possible...just don't want to look like a huge idiot on my shard LOL

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Odds are, it isn't. Most (but not all) of the time, the wood type tag would be added to it, on enhancing. You can tell what hasn't been done by those stats.

Oak would have given luck
Ash would have given SSI and requirement reductions
Yew would have given 5 HCI as well as DI
Bloodwood would have given HP regen, and its life leech isn't stackable.

That pretty much leaves heartwood or frostwood as possibilities, if there was a missing material tag. I don't see anyone wasting frostwood on it (would have been better to enhance for 5% HCI & 10 DI, instead of cold damage and 12 DI), and heartwood is too random for most bowcrafters to even consider using.

So, you should be fairly safe in assuming it is unenhanced.

C

Caelas

If enhanced using a runic...let's say Ash...what would happen then? Enhancing with Yew.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If enhanced using a runic...let's say Ash...what would happen then? Enhancing with Yew.
If you enhanced it with a Runic, your results would be exactly the same as if you enhanced it with a regular fletching kit. Runics don't add anything when you enhance something. They only add properties when you craft something with them.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Basara's sure correct. If a bow is colored from the damage, which this one is and is probably blue because of the cold damage at 40, then they never ever show the wood type even when they're enhanced. But again as Basara says, it has none of the properties so most likely it's not enhanced. Of course, you can try, if it's already enhanced, it'll tell ya.

C

Caelas

Oddly enough...the bow is colored, but not blue. It is purple.
And it was already enhanced...freaking wierd.
If only it had Dragon Slayer, then it would be awesome. :(

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think I know what happened.

Someone enhanced it with frostwood for the 12% DI (silly - 99 of 100 times you'll get the exact same damage spread with 10% & 12%), and to make it 0% physical damage (IMO mixing damages is a really silly idea - you should only enhance ANY weapon for a damage type modifier if it will increase an EXISTING type, not add one) - they'd have been better served enhancing it with yew, and using consecrate weapon.

Sometimes with tinker, carpentry & bow weapons, the bow doesn't switch colors the way they are supposed to. It was probably 30% fire, 30% energy, and 10% or 20% cold (rest in physical), and they enhanced with frostwood, but the color dodn't change from purple. I've had a few items go to 0% physical before, enhancing with a tinker, that stayed the same color as before the enhance, or took the metal color.