• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is everyone on Atlantic right now about to be banned?

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
Maybe got a little ahead of my self ther cause I didn't state my usage. Was totally ICQ before they came out with voice of some sort can't Remember program something "talk" then quit and came back to disco which everyone used and let's me interact with many guilds/ppl freely. So I use disco now. I just read that there at end of this @Lord Frodo but that be another good reason to use UO GC. No diff then why ppl use cc then ec or no 3rd parties. Good point.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Maybe got a little ahead of my self ther cause I didn't state my usage. Was totally ICQ before they came out with voice of some sort can't Remember program something "talk" then quit and came back to disco which everyone used and let's me interact with many guilds/ppl freely. So I use disco now. I just read that there at end of this @Lord Frodo but that be another good reason to use UO GC. No diff then why ppl use cc then ec or no 3rd parties. Good point.
Right now we are texting and my toon is sitting in Luna Bank doing nothing. If I am in the field I do not use any chats, it is hard enough to try to stay alive and play at the same time and being partially deaf and my voice carries I do not dare to use a voice chat or I would feel the wrath of every one else in the house, LOL My son use to play X-Box and was getting stuff thrown at him all the time for being so loud. Voice chat is great if you have a good set up and a quiet voice.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We use Gen Chat on LS all the time. That's how we get others to join an encounter. Also after an EM event as mentioned above, to buy or sell the item.

I also use Guild chat and party chat to talk to specific players.

Global chat would be the telegraph.

Unless I missed one, only one poster in this thread has their Discord info on their signature.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Careful @Pawain you might get slated into the 100+ class by the young pup, but you know when you live in a house by yourself or in mom's basement then you can use voice chat all you want without disturbing anyone else.

AntyvasII

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
TeamSpeak?

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Wasn't teamspeak a bit later, roger wilco was earlier if I remeber correct, and then ventrilo/ teamspeak.

AntyvasII

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
I wasn't playing yet, but TeamSpeak says came out in 2001, Vent 2002, and Roger Wilco 1999. I wasn't online at all until 2000.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Maybe we should all use CBs there good buddy or better yet HAM sets or I could put my CB Boots on and blead all over the neighbors LOL

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Teamspeak was good, vent was better, disco I only use on a prepaid burner. Can buy 1 cheap w 1 month plan, set up disco, then connect it to ur wifi. Never pay for a plan again & just keep it wifi only connection. Works fine like that.

Disco is great for voip but WAY to intrusive for me. If your not paying for a service, you are the service.

@Lord Frodo All the voips have input & output settings so u can lower your output for your voice & also turn up input as needed to hear others. ;)

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Teamspeak was good, vent was better, disco I only use on a prepaid burner. Can buy 1 cheap w 1 month plan, set up disco, then connect it to ur wifi. Never pay for a plan again & just keep it wifi only connection. Works fine like that.

Disco is great for voip but WAY to intrusive for me. If your not paying for a service, you are the service.

@Lord Frodo All the voips have input & output settings so u can lower your output for your voice & also turn up input as needed to hear others. ;)
That does not help when you have a voice that carries. People that are hard of hearing tend to talk louder so a voice chat is out of the question as others live here and no my house does not have a basement.

mihali

Sage
Gen chat is a tool, and there always be people around that would misuse any tool, including smut talking on chat. Lets not nuke chat one way or another. Also if you are looking for trouble pretty sure momentum may happen and gen chat could be nuked for everyone though not everyone deserves this. So let Dev ban the smutting juvenile delinquent-wannabes (they are in their 40s and 60s likely). It is ok for the "juveniles" to brag and say stuff out of their **s, as long as stay within the TOS. Step outside TOS, and the "juveniles" deserve what they get. We should be glad the Dev is doing something about it. Agree?

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Gen chat is a tool, and there always be people around that would misuse any tool, including smut talking on chat. Lets not nuke chat one way or another. Also if you are looking for trouble pretty sure momentum may happen and gen chat could be nuked for everyone though not everyone deserves this. So let Dev ban the smutting juvenile delinquent-wannabes (they are in their 40s and 60s likely). It is ok for the "juveniles" to brag and say stuff out of their **s, as long as stay within the TOS. Step outside TOS, and the "juveniles" deserve what they get. We should be glad the Dev is doing something about it. Agree?
While this seems to step out of just stating I've banged your mom while pwning you the victim is able to block the offending parties

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
Did I miss something where the Dev team actually did something?!

GeneralFlogger

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
I think some people must've been muted or given a break, otherwise the chat wouldn't have been so quiet for the next few hours.
Must've been a break cause most everyone that was involved was back next day lol. Although it did seem that everything had calmed down from where it got to originally.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Back in the day we had quite a bit of trash talk, it's a historical fact!

Samhain

Adventurer
Agreed. PVP morons who use the gen chat to whine at each other should automatically be removed from gen chat and dumped into a **** talkers channel with no way back.
Totally in agreement with both you, @Frodo The Great and all the other 'supposed' adults in this game. There is a HUGE difference between 'fun' and competitive trash talk...and being a total ignorant, inconsiderate and all out prick. I mean, seriously, they make personal attacks and insults regarding someones sexuality, their parents, their looks, their gender, I have even seen them make fun of other players family members that have died and are sick. In my personal opinion, there is NO excuse for that in the real world let alone the pixel world. That should be an insta-perma ban on ALL associated accounts. This world (both pixel and real) is too toxic and full of idiots enough to be able to let them thrive like they do.

Samhain

Adventurer
Haven’t a clue. But it seems self defeating to me to say you’re disgusted with said language to people in chat you just banned.
Maybe she said it and then banned them?
Or hopefully she banned them immediately and the message was referring and warning everyone else. *Crosses Fingers*

Samhain

Adventurer
Having to put people on IGNORE is total bullcrap! If there is someone asking a question they will probably miss the answer because of the PvP Trash Talk. Nobody uses Trade, do not know why it is even there, so if you are buying/selling it is very hard to see if someone answers you call. The only reason PvPers use gen chat is to disrupt every bodies game play, they are nothing more then Chat Chan PKers. They could easily make a PvP Chan but nobody would use it because then they would not get the attention that their 3 year old mentality desires. How many players has UO lost because of the mentality of UO PvPers in Gen Chat. How many potential PvPers has the TRASH Talker lost because of the way the crap talk new people. I have NEVER heard one PvPer say "hay let me show you how to make yourself better". No they call you NOOB and put you down constantly, who would want to play with a bunch of Aholes like that. This is nothing more than unchecked harassment and UOs answer is to tell the victim to move when in fact they should tell the criminal to leave or face extended jail time. UO needs to police their game better and stop rewarding criminals, it is about time UO stands up for the victim.
And the UO Gold Medal of Honor Goes to this Guy!! :) You said everything so I didn't have to. Thanks for saving my already crippled carpel tunnel hands from that long post...Hmm...then again, I had to respond...Oh well! Nevermind all that, Kudo's to you anyway young man!

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Or hopefully she banned them immediately and the message was referring and warning everyone else. *Crosses Fingers*
I would like to think this is what happened. I wouldn’t bet on it though.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Hey guys, I really wanted to tell you some incredibly personal and intimate details about me irl.

...Oh wait.... No I didn't. Because you're a bunch of internet weirdos and I would expect nothing less of you than to use such details to say and do horrible things to me.

The internet isn't a new thing... I thought everyone knew this. How could someone be upset over someone from the internet using some information he himself volunteered to insult him? Oh... wait... I haven't heard a peep from the actual "victim" of this silliness. Only from people who, for some reason, feel the need to complain on their behalf. This whole thing has been completely blown out of proportion for reasons I can only assume to be nefarious. The whole thing stinks. Someone is playing on your fragile little feelings to get someone else banned from a game and some of y'all are helping them.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Hey guys, I really wanted to tell you some incredibly personal and intimate details about me irl.

...Oh wait.... No I didn't. Because you're a bunch of internet weirdos and I would expect nothing less of you than to use such details to say and do horrible things to me.

The internet isn't a new thing... I thought everyone knew this. How could someone be upset over someone from the internet using some information he himself volunteered to insult him? Oh... wait... I haven't heard a peep from the actual "victim" of this silliness. Only from people who, for some reason, feel the need to complain on their behalf. This whole thing has been completely blown out of proportion for reasons I can only assume to be nefarious. The whole thing stinks. Someone is playing on your fragile little feelings to get someone else banned from a game and some of y'all are helping them.
Feel free to defend who you like, including Tails, who thought it was funny to make fun of an individuals daughter who passed from cancer.

The internet is not an excuse to be an *******.

R00

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It's pretty simple, really. We've all seen it play out across the internet a thousand times. Dude found the community's trigger and is commencing to yanking on it as hard as he can for ****s and giggles. Stop giving him attention and it will eventually die down.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
It's pretty simple, really. We've all seen it play out across the internet a thousand times. Dude found the community's trigger and is commencing to yanking on it as hard as he can for ****s and giggles. Stop giving him attention and it will eventually die down.
Sure, maybe he will get banned, if he isn’t already. Quick way to end his childish attention seeking.

R00

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Sure, maybe he will get banned, if he isn’t already. Quick way to end his childish attention seeking.
Probably not. And if he doesn't, so what? There would just be another waiting in line to take his place anyway.

The devil you know...

R00

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
At one point on Siege, in the early aught's, someone's kid got into the bleach under the sink. Word got out and "drink bleach" became a thing, to the point where Petra was deleting pix of clorox on the daily. Revvo and Puffy found that trigger and yanked it so hard it broke off. I can think of a couple other instances where the triggering happened. It has been, and always will be, part of the internet. Harden yer hearts goin' in or it's a helluva ride

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Probably not. And if he doesn't, so what? There would just be another waiting in line to take his place anyway.

The devil you know...
I’m not new to this and I pvped for years. This one goes beyond trolling and is a new low no should cross. Some things warrant consequences, not “oh he was just trolling, get over it.”

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Get over it.
There’s not much to “get over.” If you act like an ******* prepare for consequences. I feel he should be banned, if you’re okay with it that’s on you.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

Yea I was a little surprised by the fact that people are playing right into this troll's wish. Like you said, this has been going on for decades with the internet because the internet allows little punks to be keyboard (or microphone) warriors when otherwise they wouldn't say a peep. This isn't new.

What surprises me is that people actually bite on this type of behavior. Why would anyone even talk to this dude? Ultimately he's going to say whatever he can to get a rise out of someone... and let's be honest saying "I'll pwn you every time I see you" doesn't mean anything to most people so he digs deeper. It's troll talk 101. What I also don't understand is why these people are talking in a chat channel with this guy... maybe it's just me because I don't voice chat with anyone period and I don't see a point in conversing with someone that's just trying to talk s.hit non-stop because he's mad he died. I also don't know how people get photos of each other and all that other stuff... again to me this is just oversharing with strangers on the internet. That said, I'm also not really big on social media either.

At the end of the day this guy is a total loser who is probably the biggest nerd I've ever heard in my life (I took the clickbait to see what was said). He's talking about "dude I will make your life in the game a living hell... wanna bet me?" and "I can say whatever I want and you can't do anything about it". Wtf?? Dork alert!! LMAO. They are literally verbally trashing talking each other in dork. "Bro you were mounted and couldn't kill me... you were tutored by (insert someone) and you can't even pvp good"... Like being good at UO in any sense makes you cool. It's super cringey to hear it verbalized... maybe a line or 2 in game about owning them but again who really cares? This dude is acting like he's a UFC champion but talking in wizardry lol.

Yea it's in poor taste to make fun of terminal illness etc but that's just the character of some trolls. For me this would be easy because at the end of the day this guy is hanging his hat on "owning people" in a 25 year old D&D game.... that says all you need know and you can move on.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Yea I was a little surprised by the fact that people are playing right into this troll's wish. Like you said, this has been going on for decades with the internet because the internet allows little punks to be keyboard (or microphone) warriors when otherwise they wouldn't say a peep. This isn't new.

What surprises me is that people actually bite on this type of behavior. Why would anyone even talk to this dude? Ultimately he's going to say whatever he can to get a rise out of someone... and let's be honest saying "I'll pwn you every time I see you" doesn't mean anything to most people so he digs deeper. It's troll talk 101. What I also don't understand is why these people are talking in a chat channel with this guy... maybe it's just me because I don't voice chat with anyone period and I don't see a point in conversing with someone that's just trying to talk s.hit non-stop because he's mad he died. I also don't know how people get photos of each other and all that other stuff... again to me this is just oversharing with strangers on the internet. That said, I'm also not really big on social media either.

At the end of the day this guy is a total loser who is probably the biggest nerd I've ever heard in my life (I took the clickbait to see what was said). He's talking about "dude I will make your life in the game a living hell... wanna bet me?" and "I can say whatever I want and you can't do anything about it". Wtf?? Dork alert!! LMAO. They are literally verbally trashing talking each other in dork. "Bro you were mounted and couldn't kill me... you were tutored by (insert someone) and you can't even pvp good"... Like being good at UO in any sense makes you cool. It's super cringey to hear it verbalized... maybe a line or 2 in game about owning them but again who really cares? This dude is acting like he's a UFC champion but talking in wizardry lol.

Yea it's in poor taste to make fun of terminal illness etc but that's just the character of some trolls. For me this would be easy because at the end of the day this guy is hanging his hat on "owning people" in a 25 year old D&D game.... that says all you need know and you can move on.
This is a good take on this.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
There’s not much to “get over.” If you act like an ******* prepare for consequences. I feel he should be banned, if you’re okay with it that’s on you.
Banning him won't do much because I'm sure he would get a new account. What needs to happen is he say the wrong thing to the wrong person and go from there... the ol' "F around. Find out.". Can't really do much with a keyboard warrior though as they hide behind their monitor so best bet is to ignore them.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Banning him won't do much because I'm sure he would get a new account. What needs to happen is he say the wrong thing to the wrong person and go from there... the ol' "F around. Find out.". Can't really do much with a keyboard warrior though as they hide behind their monitor so best bet is to ignore them.
I’m guessing there’s time and money wrapped into the account. I’m aware he’d probably do it again, but at least make it hurt a little.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Well then maybe we should all go back to ICQ then, bullcrap and contrary to what ever you want to believe not every body uses discord.
Is ICQ Russian owned?

AOL has officially sold instant messaging service ICQ to Russian investor DST for $187.5 million. Apr 28, 2010

And that is why I do not use icq anymore

Surly

Adventurer
I find the text in chat/journal pretty annoying to read and try to keep up with, so I mostly ignore it. Every time I glance at it, it's the same people on all day talking back and forth.

Discord rules for any type of communication outside of side-by-side in-game chat. I can't believe people are using anything else at this point.

Also, as someone returning after like 20 years, it's weird that this game doesn't have DMing.

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is ICQ Russian owned?

AOL has officially sold instant messaging service ICQ to Russian investor DST for $187.5 million. Apr 28, 2010

And that is why I do not use icq anymore
The only time is was ever hacked was through ICQ long before Russia got it and erased it on the spot.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So the russians know all of those email names that I remade every month with a different AOL free 1 month offer.

An easy way to get free internet back then.

1683063671532.png

mihali

Sage
I’m guessing there’s time and money wrapped into the account. I’m aware he’d probably do it again, but at least make it hurt a little.
Banning of an account may not be effective. Banning of ipaddress and account may work better. And agree also that this sort of rl inference of nasty cruelty should cause a ban like this. Should be easy enough to do. Sneering at someone's most painful event in life like dread illness or losing a child should have serious consequences for the offender, whether the offender is in some kind of psych. duress/illness themselves or not.

GeneralFlogger

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Not that it matters, but I don't think insta-banning everyone who hurts someone else's feelings is the right call. It's a slippery slope. I'll conclude with: regardless of how anyone feels on the matter, it seems that whatever caused the attention of those running the game to get involved, their action seems to have worked in terms of settling the situation on the shard up to now.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Banning of an account may not be effective. Banning of ipaddress and account may work better. And agree also that this sort of rl inference of nasty cruelty should cause a ban like this. Should be easy enough to do. Sneering at someone's most painful event in life like dread illness or losing a child should have serious consequences for the offender, whether the offender is in some kind of psych. duress/illness themselves or not.
Blocking IPs is pointless. For 10 bucks a month you can show that you're coming from any country you want.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I don't think insta-banning everyone who hurts someone else's feelings is the right call.
Wait... Who's feelings are hurt? Anyone involved? No? Anyone at all? No?

As much as I agree with you that banning people for hurting other people's feelings is a bad idea, this isn't even what we're witnessing here. No... No... what we are seeing here is even more stupid than that.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Not that it matters, but I don't think insta-banning everyone who hurts someone else's feelings is the right call. It's a slippery slope. I'll conclude with: regardless of how anyone feels on the matter, it seems that whatever caused the attention of those running the game to get involved, their action seems to have worked in terms of settling the situation on the shard up to now.
I’m not sure anyone is suggesting that we ban anyone who “hurts someone’s feelings.” This on the other hand is attention worthy.

Good to know things are settled.