• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Insured/Blessed Items

Reinzeld

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is it still true that an insured or blessed item will only remain with you if it's either worn or in your main pack? In other words, if I ensure four talismans nested in a second container, will those stick with me or stay in the bag when I die?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Your question's flawed, like asking someone if they still had sex with neighbor's pets.

Something that was never true can't be "Is it Still true?"

Items that are blessed or insured always stay with you, period. There was never a time I can remember, at least since Insurance was introduced, where being in a container within your pack STOPPED the insured items from staying with you. The container stays with your corpse, but the items will be in your main pack when you rez, even if they were in the innermost of 20 nested containers. In fct, thre's been times I wished some things WOULD stay in their nested container, such as Treasure maps (which are blessed, after decoding, and if you die doing multiple T-maps, your backpack becomes a mess when you rez).

The only exception might be if you get hit by the insured/blessed item bug, where something causes all or part of your insured or blessed items to not come with you when you die - but the Devs have never been able to successfully reproduce that rare error with any regularity as to figure out the cause, and if any cheating script-monkeys know, they aren't about to tell EA the information they need to eliminate that bug. And, that bug hits worn items, stuff in packs, and stuff inside containers within the pack, fairly evenly.

And, if you soak your Talismans in Ensure, won't they be a bit sticky, and start to smell after a while? :)

Reinzeld

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay, then...I was sure that I remembered blessed items that were nested staying on the corpse way back when (I'm thinking before insurance, probably). Not surprised that my memory's flawed, though, it's been a long time. :p

B

Beer_Cayse

Ummm, recall our hunt the other night? All my items except some scissors were insured. The only blessed items are my rune and spell books. Nothing was on me upon resurrection until I recovered it from my corpse. That goes for both AW deaths.

My stuff is essentially in main pack except for a UOA disarm/undress pack that contains extra weapons and perhaps armor swap pieces. I think we need to do more work in this area ... and mebbe can document an instance?

But I had over 5200 gp insurance used a couple times ... with no insured items on me until I opened the corpse.

ADDED: I'll look around Reaper Point to insure a healer is there and then let myself get killed. Should verify/disprove what I think I saw happen. <shrug>

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ouch - that sounds like the dreaded Insurance/bless bug. I have a bag I keep level 6 maps in, and it makes a mess of my main pack level when I die - including the two times I died at that hunt (luckily I only had 4 maps on me, to put back into the pack after each death).

Same goes for when I die carrying around my (4 books + items) "old School quest kit" (everything, including location rune books, you need for Hag Quest, Elwood Quest, Naturalist Quest and Solen quests), as the blessed timepiece and the 4 books end up in my main backpack.

B

Beer_Cayse

<nods> Yup - thought of all that as I read this thread. I figure to keep minimal items on me but actually force a death to see what is actually available when I rez. I just need to make sure a healer is nearby. Maybe I can pin the darn thing down.

Lightning 1

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know what? They might actually still be with you, but part of the software doesn’t know it. That is to say, they have been transported to your general pack, but the pack opening software is not seeing the list because other items are in the spots they should have fallen into. I am also guessing that there is a chance of them being misidentified as an unknown item, and the pack opener simply ignores them. When you open your corpse the ‘ID tags’ for lack of a better term are passed to the opener routine. Hmm. An extra half byte in the item descriptor could help. I think I know a way, kind of like a ‘checksum’ for the character.

I’d have to read the software to debug it, but developers might start by assuming the insured/blessed items were retrieved by your character and the list is simply ignored by the receiving subroutines. Did you see it on your corpse. or just click the corpse and suddenly everything reappeared in your pack? The sound effect and recovery message will probably come even if your corpse was already empty. Perhaps a party member allowed to loot your corpse could look into it before you touch it to see if the items are actually still on the body.

I know this does not help you, but try losing 2 identical items in separate pack locations, one of them insured, and one not. See if one reappears. If you use enhanced, use the grid layout in the pack and leave every other space empty. Just a thought from my years as an assembler programer guy.

W

Whinemaker

Reinzeld is right that you had to have a blessed (newbified) item on the top level of your backpack for it to be really "blessed", but that's changed since the introduction of item insurance.

And to answer your question, yes, as long as your char (or whatever the cause is) 's not bugged, your blessed/insured items will stay with you upon your death whether they're inside a container or not.

On the other hand, I have no idea what will happen when a thief tries to grab the container from you in Fel.

O

Old Man of UO

There is also a bug in the EC client, not sure about the CC, that some items (and sometimes all items) won't show when you recover your body after a death. You have to either refresh your screen (Ctrl-R) or log out/in to find them. Not sure if that's what happened to BC, but it's possible.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
no, as i recall the only problem with putting blessed items in a bag is in old times the bag could get stolen.. then you would lose your blessed item.

it had nothing to do with insured as they fixed this before insurance came out with the nerf of stealing bags..

when you die, all blessed and insured items in bags get put in your main pack.. you lose the container it was in.

Lightning 1

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
True about some items not showing. Sometimes the spot is taken in your backpack with an invisible item. If you drag that empty backpack spot (in grid mode in the enhanced client) and drop it back into the pack, it will show. This does not require a death for the bug to make itself known.

After a death, items that were in bags in the enhanced client, and moved to the hot bar for convenience, are grayed out in the hot bar. The backpack must be opened and the bag containing them accessed in some way (either opened or dragged and dropped back into the pack), and the entire contents will once again be accessible via the hot bar. Just a small inconvenience really, but it is a terrible shock when you think you’ve lost insured or blessed items.

A more tedious alternative is to drag the hot bar items one at a time a tiny bit and drop them back onto the hot bar.