• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Input and Assistance Request - Tamers

K

Keno

I'm looking at adding some pets to the stable of my wife's tamer and would appreciate some input. Her taming is at 100.4 but scrolled to 115, lore is locked at 105 and also scrolled to 115 - hoping it would help taming gain faster. Jewelry is available to max out both but hope to train it up once we figure out what to do next.

I've read through a lot of posts and reviewed the Hunter's Guide then came up with these options:
1. Beetle/Mare
2. Beetle/Bake Kitsune
3. Two (2) Bake Kitsune
4. Cu Sidhe - How many slots does a Cu take? At least one of these regardless.

Here are three questions:
1. What combination would work best for hunting monsters or is there a better option?
2. Not needing alleged "uber" pets, how much do they run to purchase?
3. Does anyone have any of these available or could tame us some, at a reasonable price?

The reason I'm looking at buying instead of taming our own is because of our connection speed. Last night while attempting to tame Giant Beetles (yes, the blue ones - wanted to give them away at Haven) there were three pet deaths and a character death... without a single beetle tamed. Hit, lag, die... Hit lag, die...
Attempting to purchase some of the nicer pets now seems the best option.

If anyone can help please respond here
Thanks and hope you have a great day

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
A Cu takes 4 slots.

If you´re ingame now I could get you some random ones of the ones you mentioned until you find some good ones to buy...

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are several tamers, including myself, will tame for free for anyone happy to take what comes.

If Tjalle hasn't already got you set up (which he probably has) I'll get them, np.

K

Keno

Thank you both very much! Unfortunately, I am actually at work right now and will not be on until 1800GMT+3. If it is ok I'll check the forum again this evening to see if anyone may be available. I'll have "Indira" at the Haven bank upon log-in and hope to see you there.
If there is anything I can provide for the services let me know and I'll do my best to make it happen!
Thanks again and hope to see you soon.

** As of right now I should be able to get online a little earlier, around 1600GMT+3. Would either of you be available then? **

K

Keno

Thank you very much Miss Petra!
These are great and we'll pass it on whenever we can!
Promise

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure if this will help but here it goes. Different pet combinations are good for different situations:

Nightmare/Rune beetle or Rune Beetle/Bake Kitsune - probaly the best Dmg output combination. If you want to ride around places i suggest choosing the Nightmare as you cannot mount the Bake Kitsune. While this combination is great for dmg dealing it is not very good for tanking tough monsters. Its best used against monsters that will drop fairly quickly or with low dmg output, its also great to use this combination if your working with another tamer using a tank pet when doing things such as peerless.
Rune beetle 3 slots
Nightmare/Bake Kitsune 2 slots

2 Bake Kitsune - this combination may not have the dmg output of the previous combo but its still a pretty good combo which you can have a mount with. They can put out alot of dmg and have good resists to tank a little but they have low health and may not fair well against big tough monsters.

Cu Sidhe - Cu Sidhe is a good tanking pet, it has alright dmg output with a power bite and bleed attack but no magic. It has high health, pretty good resists and the ability to heal itself which makes it a good tank. It can also be mounted to make life a whole lot easier by running through dungeons etc to get to your destination. Also because the Cu Sidhe is only 4 slots you could have another mount with you and let the Cu Sidhe follow you or you could have a 1 slot pet with you to deal that extra dmg such as a Giant Ice Worm which does 90% cold dmg and can inflict deadly poison when trained. Cu sidhe is best used against monsters that take a while to kill and hit hard such as Balrons, so with your help vetting it can survive against it. Please note that only elves can tamer Cu Sidhes and they can ride them normally, in order for a human to ride one they will need to be wearing the Minor Artifact 'Pads of the Cu Sidhe'.

Greater Dragon - Greater dragons are just sheer awesomeness, they have a huge amount of hit points and great resists making them an outstanding tank. They also have a hard bite, good magic skills and devastating firebreath which gives them a very good damage output too but perhaps not as good dmg output as the first combo i mentioned. The bad thing about Greater Dragons is that they take 5 slots so you'll be on foot all the time making you vunerable. Greater dragons are best used against the toughest monsters in the game such as peerless and also against monsters with low Physical or fire resists. Greater Dragons do really well against Lady Mislende the peerless as she has low fire resist, so when at full health they do 100 dmg with their firebreath against her.

Dread Warhorse/Nightmare - I can't really say much about this combo as im yet to try it myself. But it could have potential as a dread warhorse is a super buffed nightmare, and i seem to remember a 2 nightmare combo being pretty good against dragons. Its just a shame they don't have a pack bonus :).
Dread Warhorse - 3 slots

Hiryu - Hiryu's are alright, they are good tanks, hit hard with high wrestling and are mountable. But thats about it, most people prefer to use Cu sidhes over them as they are better for PvM. But Hiryus are popular in fel PvP for their ability to dismount people.
Hiryu - 4 slots

5 1 slot pack animal combo - Now this combo is my favourite, using 5 1 slot pets with pack bonus, the best of these pets include hellcats, hellhounds, dire wolves and frenzied ostards. I have a pack of 5 hellcats myself and when i hunt with them i find it very fun, with the pack bonus their damage output is amazing but they are very bad tanks and die very quickly against tough monsters. 1 will nearly always die when i set the pack on a dragon, but have no problem with Titans or Cyclops, they eat them in literally 2-4 seconds. This combo was very popular in fel PvP a while back, and still is for a certain few tamers. The bad thing about this combo is that you cannot have a mount which leaves you vunerable. If you are working with another tamer that has lets say a Greater Dragon tanking a monster and then you have your pack of 5 pack animals attacking without any of the aggro, then the dmg dealt is devastating.

There are many different combos and pets out there you can have fun with, these are just the best/ Most popular combos. Different pets will always be better in different situations such as the strength of mobs, their weakest resist, the environment etc etc, you'll learn in time which pets are best for which situation through experience.

Hope this helped :)

P.S. most tamers will tame most pets for free, the only time i really see people selling pets is if they are fully trained, rarer colour Cu Sidhes, or really good Greater Dragons stat and skill wise.

K

Keno

Wow! That was fantastic information! There is more to Taming than previously thought.
It's one thing to read about it and another thing to actually do it!
Once we get a Cu Sidhe we'll be set - Thanks to Miss Petra! She truly is a Legend!
With the information you provided we'll have a much better chance of "doing it right" when we help others too.
You guys are the greatest and hope to see you in game sometime
If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to knock on our door!

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Most welcome, one of these days I'll master the knack of catching cu sidhe, I think Tjalle can handle those better than I.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Most welcome, one of these days I'll master the knack of catching cu sidhe, I think Tjalle can handle those better than I.
Thanks... :blushing:

Since you lack a Cu I will tame a good one when I get home from work tonight. You can pick it up tomorrow afternoon/evening if you´re on then Keno.

LadyNico

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just wandered in and tamed a fair to middlin aggie (near max hp/str with ok resists). Welcome to it, Keno/Indira, until you can better it.

I'll be at Main Bank Brit for a wee bit - char is Lady Vix astride an agapite cu sidhe.

K

Keno

Thank you Lady Vix! This Cu (Sydney) will make my wife happy for certain!

I want to thank all the Tamers who have been so much help and in such a short period of time! I posted early in the day because I didn't expect anyone to even answer but within minutes there were people responding.
I've travelled all over Europa but met few as friendly and none as helpful!
Thank you all again and if there is anything we can do for any of you just drop a line!

K

Keno

I don't want to sound like a "sap" but you are all amazing.
Thank you Lady Willow for the Lesser (Hiram)!
Wish there was something I could do for y'all...

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hehe, Vix you're obviously the Ace cu tamer, but I didn't think you were playing very much atm. My apologies.

Keno, I'm pretty sure that the others will ask what I did. When you're trained, help someone new in your turn :)

LadyNico

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, it's a rare enough occurrence these days, but I do nip in from time to time. I'll be swamped for another couple of weeks (major deadline on the 15th), then all being well I should have a bit of leeway for some Sosaria time.

And, not surprisingly, your response echoed my own to Keno/Indira yesterday:-Just pay it forward by helping someone out someday when they can. *smiles*

I think that right there is one of the reasons Europa is so awesome.

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes its a shame kind and helpful people seem to be a dieing breed in UO and those remaining are quite hard to find sometimes, but you'll find them eventually :). Most people in UO now a days are just "OMG WTF I PWN U, QUIT AT LIFE!!!!, CARE? L2P" etc etc

Well thats what i find, especially in fel. So i hide away in the RP community :)

Ferrut

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lovely taming info Escaflowne thanks!
*looks forward to having enough taming to control my one and only dread horsey....* :D