• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Inactive accounts and housing

Morbeous

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
One of my guild members is unable to pay this month and wants to know how long until his house is condemned. How long can his account remain inactive before he loses his house?

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
90 days from day it closed. You don't really want to test it and if you can renew before the 90 days is up, it's definitely better.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
What she said. Do NOT test that 90-day thing.... your friend will most assuredly lose.....
*still mourns some of her player-written books*

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Your best bet is to not let it go unpaid more than 60 days or pay every other month if possible!

Beldin Brightaxe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just count 90 days from the day the account closes. When that time comes close just look for the house to start to decay. When it does, just renew the account and he'll be fine. It's a bit risky, but it works.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
DO NOT CLOSE THE ACCT. to stop it from charging, the house will go into decay right away. Atleast mine always did when I was closing accounts and trading houses I wanted to keep to the accounts I was keeping open.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the problem is people dont realize they are talking about different things. My understanding is If you Close your account your house decays immediately. If you place a new house your house decays immediately. If you let your account payment lapse the your house has approximately 90 days assuming they havent turned housing on or off in the code during that timer period. The 90 days is NOT an exact science 60 days is a much safer number if you have things you dont want to lose.

Oh and dont decline credit card charges at your bank or your account will be Banned!

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am not sure it ever changed.....again we are talking about going into account management site and actually closing the account..... not just cancelling credit card info or not buying a new gametime code.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you stop the subscription it will run until that current month has finished and then the account will go inactive. Then the 90 days starts.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
90 days form the closure of the account date + 4 or 5 days for the decay cycle....nailed on

best play it safe to be fair and count 80/85 and u will be fine...but in all fairness loads people use the 90 day slide rule and few get caught out and thats usually bad mathmatics

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Once the current subscription ends, you would be wise to re-subscribe by the 85th day if you do not want to run any risk of losing the housing plot. If you let it go beyond that, you are playing with fire and there are no guarantees. I've been told of houses dropping by the 87th day.

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran
Yep, it is supposed to be 90 days!!
But just to be safe, reopen at the 85th!!
If you close your account right away, your house will NOT decay before 85-90 days!!

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The 90 day system is absolutely trustable. The people who lost homes simply didn't make note of the 90th day. You can set your watch by how accurate this system is. The account management page is reliable too. I have no issues cancelling an account, receiving the email that I cancelled it, and the email on the day it actually does cancel. While I don't condone using the 90 day shuffle to save houses, if you write down the exact date that your account expires (not the date you cancelled it) your house will go into decah on exactly that day, and you can renew your account when it's greatly worn and it will refresh, never tested it on IDOC status though.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
90 days from day it closed. You don't really want to test it and if you can renew before the 90 days is up, it's definitely better.
90 days from the day it "expired". You can close your account with time left on it, the clock doesn't start ticking until 90 days after it officially expires.

Beldin Brightaxe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What Garth said. I've tested, and use this all the time. The only time I've ever had a problem was when I wasn't paying attention or not interested in keeping track. Just remember it's 90 days, not specifically 3 months. So if your account expires today, May 20th, your house will go into decay on August 18th. Not August 20th.

Last edited:

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran
90 days from the day it "expired". You can close your account with time left on it, the clock doesn't start ticking until 90 days after it officially expires.
100% correct, You can close an account today, but the 90 days will Only count after the Account is Expired and Not closed

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
When I used the term closed, I meant you can no longer access the account because it's not paid for and is closed. I assumed the person didnt have sufficient funds and it canceled the sub and closed account.

Morbeous

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Cheers all I have made him aware. I have a rune to his house so I can check to see if it goes into decay and rescue his items

Beldin Brightaxe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You should still keep track of when his account closes. If he's not able to open it within the 90 day time frame, you need to rescue his items. Once it starts to decay all friends and co-owner lists are cleared and the house turns private. You won't be able to rescue any of his stuff after that point.