• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

In Game Room Chat

G

Is there any rule in the EA-Land terms of service that requires conversations in quiet lots to go to PM? Several times lately my friend and I have been asked to take our non offensive conversation in a completely silent house to PM because guests complained. I would understand if the conversation was offensive, but its usually just a normal chat between the two of us. If anyone else wanted to join in, we would be more than happy to include them.

We weren't even using annoying chat-speak or typing in caps. Just a normal conversation in English with proper grammar and punctuation nine times out of ten.

I don't talk to bother anyone, certainly, but I don't understand what I'm harming by talking in a quiet skill lot in open chat. Isn't that one of the key ideas behind the game? An owner today spent nearly a half hour arguing with me in a PM after I had left his property because he said the needs of many outweigh the needs of one. I agree to this statement, but I also feel the complainers rights end where mine begin and I, as far as I am aware, have every right to talk in open conversation. Why are they reading my conversation if it bothers them? Is it really that disturbing to have two people's chat bubbles open in the room?

G

<blockquote><hr>

Is there any rule in the EA-Land terms of service that requires conversations in quiet lots to go to PM? Several times lately my friend and I have been asked to take our non offensive conversation in a completely silent house to PM because guests complained. I would understand if the conversation was offensive, but its usually just a normal chat between the two of us. If anyone else wanted to join in, we would be more than happy to include them.

We weren't even using annoying chat-speak or typing in caps. Just a normal conversation in English with proper grammar and punctuation nine times out of ten.

I don't talk to bother anyone, certainly, but I don't understand what I'm harming by talking in a quiet skill lot in open chat. Isn't that one of the key ideas behind the game? An owner today spent nearly a half hour arguing with me in a PM after I had left his property because he said the needs of many outweigh the needs of one. I agree to this statement, but I also feel the complainers rights end where mine begin and I, as far as I am aware, have every right to talk in open conversation. Why are they reading my conversation if it bothers them? Is it really that disturbing to have two people's chat bubbles open in the room?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, an owner has a right to set the parameters of what is OK in *their* house and we as guests have to abide by that or go elsewhere, but I think that particular owner is gonna find that attitude impacts the number of guests he has on his lot after a while. I can sort of understand if it somebody is truly into the RP aspect and wants to roleplay a library situation, because talking in real libraries is usually prohibited, but I cannot imagine why anybody would do that when we are trying so hard to get away from the skilling afk epidemic that had gotten so rampant there for a while. If you discourage your guests from talking in open chat, that is just going ot ENcourage them to go back to skilling afk. The whole base premise of the game is to be SOCIAL, so if the conversation truly was offensive and not controversial or drama-inducing, then I don't understand his justification for asking you to take it to PM, either. My attitude in that case would have been that it is his loss of your visitor hours after you and your friend took em somewhere else.

W

Whitilicious 07'

Well to solve it all the owner should tell the complainer to put you on ignore then he/she/it , have a few other words i could put but not allowed here, wont see your chat . Problem solved i would send a messge to that owner and tell her that also . Makes no since i hate a quiet house and i jump in ppls conversations all the time , i figure if they dont want anyone to reply to what they are saying then they would take to an IM. This is really poor judgement on the owners part . I would love to have the name , private IM of course cant post it here ,I will make it a point not to visit that lot .

G

A player's lot or home in the game is the equivalent of private property, in real life. As such they have the right to set up any rules they wish. If a player does not abide by the house rules, the owner/roomies have the right to boot and ban.

There is no *game* rule about chat....except what is covered in the Terms of Service, which will ban a player for racist or hate chat.

M

Mordekai

I'm the friend in question. xD

Anyway, yes; the owner does have every right to determine the basis of what's what on their lot. But I feel that they've either got control issues when they take it too far, or they're looking for a bare crowd.
I suppose that owners/roomies feel they don't want one-on-one chat bubbles interrupting their constant serenades, cooking, etc., because they become distracting if they're unnecessary, but... Like Dame said, we were having an intelligent conversation exempt of anything derogatory, etc: they could easily ignore us if they really wanted.

Besides, how many owners/roomies out there only say "mp," "hc is up," "welcome ____" and the like? The answer is clearly too many. They may appear hospitable, but it's just a jumble of abbreviations, even if their mouse is clicking off the wall.

Maybe I'm just too set on finding a perfectly welcome environment. xP

G

<blockquote><hr>

A player's lot or home in the game is the equivalent of private property, in real life. As such they have the right to set up any rules they wish. If a player does not abide by the house rules, the owner/roomies have the right to boot and ban.

There is no *game* rule about chat....except what is covered in the Terms of Service, which will ban a player for racist or hate chat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I left the property; I wasn't disrespectful of the owner. But he claimed guests were complaining and I "Had a chat problem." I don't mind obeying the rules of a house, but if an owner wants complete silence, it might be a good idea to state that in the house bio or request it upon entrance.

G

I am not supporting their position, only their right to take it.

Dumb rules have their own built-in retribution......what goes around comes around....as you sow, so shall you reap....etc.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I left the property; I wasn't disrespectful of the owner. But he claimed guests were complaining and I "Had a chat problem." I don't mind obeying the rules of a house, but if an owner wants complete silence, it might be a good idea to state that in the house bio or request it upon entrance.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Had a chat problem"? Is it possible that there was a perceived element of controversy or 'drama' where there really wasn't one? Or that the subject matter was somethign that a player on the lot might have found offensive and privately said so to the owner on the lot even if it was one that to you might have seemed 'benign'? Personally, I am too direct I guess....if I have a problem with somebody, I have no problem IMing them directly and telling them to knock off whatever it is that I find offensive. Going to the house owner or roomie instead of the person directly is just chicken [censored] and reeks of 'crying to mommy' (MOMI lol). Sounds to me like maybe the house owner themselves was offended and maybe just said other people were complaining to justify asking you to stop it rather than coming right out and saying that they themselves had a problem with it, which since it was their house they would have been justified in doing. As far as control issues, yeah it could be that too, or it could be like previously stated and maybe they are just a little too much into the RP aspect and take it to the extreme of alienating people with it......who knows. In any case, it sounds like an environment that you really wouldn't be happy in anyway and their attitude on it will just give somebody else who is more open-minded a chance to climb the list when they allow that kind of stuff on their own lot. With the lists basically being the same houses all the time, it'd be refreshing to see some 'new names' on the list anyway.

G

When he said I "Have a chat problem" he said it was because I "Fill up the whole chat box." Apparently, it wasn't anything I said. He was just sick of looking at chat bubbles.

W

Whitilicious 07'

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG to funny just checked out the house and come on they have sex trivia so unless it was some off the wall morbid stuff u were talking about then they are way out of line .

I

imported_Gracie Nito

Well at least the owner spoke to you. Years ago, I got booted and banned at a skill house for being too chatty. I wasn't even told the reason, till I asked. LOL. Plenty of chat friendly places out there. No need to stress over someplace where you will never venture to go again.

G

If I was the owner and had a problem with your chat I would have asked ou very nicely to please take it to PM. But I find it kinda weird not seeing chat bubbles in a house. You tend to get bored very easily if nothing is going on there.

G

<blockquote><hr>

When he said I "Have a chat problem" he said it was because I "Fill up the whole chat box." Apparently, it wasn't anything I said. He was just sick of looking at chat bubbles.

[/ QUOTE ]Wow! Sounds like somebody is taking OCD to a whole, new, unhealthy level!

Still, it's his house, his rules. As a guest, you have to either respect those rules, or leave.

Me, personally, if anyone ever got that anal-retentive on me, I'd be out of there in half a heartbeat - and never look back!

G

Katheryne don't forget to take the stick out of his/hers pixalated buttocks...could use it for salvage!

G

<blockquote><hr>

Katheryne don't forget to take the stick out of his/hers pixalated buttocks...could use it for salvage!

[/ QUOTE ]

*bangs head on desk to get rid of mental image*

That is SO not nice to do to someone that does as much salvaging as I am about to do. I will never look at a box of wood with the same innocence again!

G

<blockquote><hr>

Mmmmm! Simsicles!

[/ QUOTE ]

*mutters RoC breaking phrases under her breath*

ebil, pure ebil (but secretly, deep down I &lt;3 it LOL
)

G

Weird. I've never encountered anything like this. Every lot I've been to in TC3 is fine with chatty players. To be quite honest, if a house owner asked me to take a normal conversation to pm because I was taking up the chat box, I'd never go back there again. As my profile in game states, one of my biggest turnoffs/pet peeves is rudeness. Now, it was mentionned that if the person was heavy into roleplay the library needs to be as quiet as they can make it, and that's fine, as long as they let you know that's the reason.

G

I agree with Gilly - well said! I *hate* quiet lots. I don't really like to play AFK. Its nice if someone is having a conversation that I can jump in on.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He should put parental controls on so that he does not have to see chat.

What a weird rule. I would have just left too... oy.
I

G

Hello to everyone reading this thread. My name is "Jovius" in game and I am the owner of the skill house "Nutz over BodynLogic". It is my property the ladies are talking about and I feel like I should defend my property and my actions. First off, my lot is nowhere near a quiet place. We love chatting and getting crazy and having fun, that's what the game is all about. The roomies and I try really hard to run a quality skill house and try to make it more fun for all. Now about what happened. When I logged on I noticed the conversation the ladies were having. It did not bother me, in fact, I couldn't tell you right now even what they were talking about. I did however notice that that they were both typing very long sentences (in fact running out of letter space and finishing up on the next entry), which again, didnt really bother me. First I had a roomie mention to me that some guests had complained about it. Soon I recieved at least four PM's from guests asking me to do something about it or they were leaving. At that point, I very nicely asked one of them if they could take that conversation to PM. They both left the property and one PM'd me about 4 times filling up my PM box so full I had to scroll to read it all (which i did because I wanted to hear what she had to say--and then, yes I stated she may have a chat problem).

I'm very sure most are aware of the fact that owners and roomies are sometimes put in a tough spot. I told her "the needs of many out-weigh the
needs of 1". I'm not sure how many complaints my roomie recieved but I had at least four say they were leaving, yes I could have told the other guests to use the ignore feature but I didn't know how many others were annoyed too.

I don't think what I did was out of line. I was very nice and polite about it. The two ladies are always welcome on our property, just as you all are. Have a nice day and see you in Game

G

<blockquote><hr>

Hello to everyone reading this thread. My name is "Jovius" in game and I am the owner of the skill house "Nutz over BodynLogic". It is my property the ladies are talking about and I feel like I should defend my property and my actions. First off, my lot is nowhere near a quiet place. We love chatting and getting crazy and having fun, that's what the game is all about. The roomies and I try really hard to run a quality skill house and try to make it more fun for all. Now about what happened. When I logged on I noticed the conversation the ladies were having. It did not bother me, in fact, I couldn't tell you right now even what they were talking about. I did however notice that that they were both typing very long sentences (in fact running out of letter space and finishing up on the next entry), which again, didnt really bother me. First I had a roomie mention to me that some guests had complained about it. Soon I recieved at least four PM's from guests asking me to do something about it or they were leaving. At that point, I very nicely asked one of them if they could take that conversation to PM. They both left the property and one PM'd me about 4 times filling up my PM box so full I had to scroll to read it all (which i did because I wanted to hear what she had to say--and then, yes I stated she may have a chat problem).

I'm very sure most are aware of the fact that owners and roomies are sometimes put in a tough spot. I told her "the needs of many out-weigh the
needs of 1". I'm not sure how many complaints my roomie recieved but I had at least four say they were leaving, yes I could have told the other guests to use the ignore feature but I didn't know how many others were annoyed too.

I don't think what I did was out of line. I was very nice and polite about it. The two ladies are always welcome on our property, just as you all are. Have a nice day and see you in Game

[/ QUOTE ]

I like to type and talk. I won't go to your skill house based not he fact that this is a social interacting game... and if sentences that extend longer than "AFK" "OMG" "LOL" 'FOOD PLZ" "SONGS PLZ" offend the sensibilities of people I don't want to be around them at all. I'm a chatter box. And to top it all off I'd end up being really rude and obnoxious to you, your roomies and the snitches who are afraid of chat, when I left.
I'm sure the OP was really nice about it.

good luck with your lot

I

imported_Gracie Nito

As a home owner, I find it is very important that all of my guests know they can speak freely in my home. Had I received complaints about someone chatting too much, I would have politely explained to the complainant how to use the ignore feature.

I have on occasion over the past few years had some very chatty roomies. I believe one even spent two hours filling our house chat with a full life story of her sim. Mind you, her sim was 2 years old by this time. As new guests arrived on property, I gracefully invited them to put my roomie on ignore it if bothered them.

There is no reason for people to complain about house chat as each has the ability to put the chatters on ignore. As a property owner, I would have let those not wanting to use their ignore feature leave. If they can't take action for their own discomfort and insist on me doing something about it, they are not welcome in my home.

G

I don't find the request to move chat to private messages offensive, especially if it's bothersome to other guests. Any guest that would find that offensive, should really find another game to play.

The roomies and owners of lots put up with a lot, they cater to your every need in game. They go out of their way often to see that you are happy and satisfied. Have any of ever hosted a full lot? Based on this conversation I'm going to assume you haven't.

I hosted only 3 days ago to help out a friend, and let me tell you - it's no piece of cake. Having 30 people in your lot at one time, is quite insane and takes a lot out of a person. You have to be a person who enjoys doing all that crazy clicking to really enjoy it. And regardless if that lot is full or not - it's still quite a bit of work to run.

I've been to this property and I was there this morning as well. I hardly find that the owner was out of line. Your chat was a conversation between you and your friend, and quite frankly you can put more words in private chat than you can in public chat - how bad would it be to do so?

Are you so self preserved that the world of EA Land must bow to your needs and preferences? You're just two people - get over yourselves... It's a game, enjoy it - want long drawn out chats that are unappealing to 10 other people on a lot? Then by all means, I encourage you to start your own lot and deal with your guests your way - I'm going back to the lot in question, mostly because - the guy made the right decision for the majority of his guests.

I'm so annoyed by this post for the sheer point that all of you want to bash a house that goes above and beyond to cater to their guests. I'd like to find one person actually sit here and post they were abused in that house, because I've known these people for many months and I've seen them host a house - not one of them has ever been rude or obnoxious. Which is ultimately way more important than anything else. Be happy you were asked to go to private chat - as others will point out - they've been banned without warning for nothing more than just taking up a seat. - And why would you ever want a reason not to be catered to by some of the hottest little simmies in EA Land?

G

<blockquote><hr>

I don't find the request to move chat to private messages offensive, especially if it's bothersome to other guests. Any guest that would find that offensive, should really find another game to play.

The roomies and owners of lots put up with a lot, they cater to your every need in game. They go out of their way often to see that you are happy and satisfied. Have any of ever hosted a full lot? Based on this conversation I'm going to assume you haven't.

I hosted only 3 days ago to help out a friend, and let me tell you - it's no piece of cake. Having 30 people in your lot at one time, is quite insane and takes a lot out of a person. You have to be a person who enjoys doing all that crazy clicking to really enjoy it. And regardless if that lot is full or not - it's still quite a bit of work to run.

I've been to this property and I was there this morning as well. I hardly find that the owner was out of line. Your chat was a conversation between you and your friend, and quite frankly you can put more words in private chat than you can in public chat - how bad would it be to do so?

Are you so self preserved that the world of EA Land must bow to your needs and preferences? You're just two people - get over yourselves... It's a game, enjoy it - want long drawn out chats that are unappealing to 10 other people on a lot? Then by all means, I encourage you to start your own lot and deal with your guests your way - I'm going back to the lot in question, mostly because - the guy made the right decision for the majority of his guests.

I'm so annoyed by this post for the sheer point that all of you want to bash a house that goes above and beyond to cater to their guests. I'd like to find one person actually sit here and post they were abused in that house, because I've known these people for many months and I've seen them host a house - not one of them has ever been rude or obnoxious. Which is ultimately way more important than anything else. Be happy you were asked to go to private chat - as others will point out - they've been banned without warning for nothing more than just taking up a seat. - And why would you ever want a reason not to be catered to by some of the hottest little simmies in EA Land?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I got to the second line of your post and stopped reading.

I don't want to read the sob story of how hard it is to run a lot. I've done it. I decided I didn't like to cater to peoples psychotic whims and shut down my top money house to become a lot hopper.

When I jump around to lots... .if the lot is dead in chat I move onto the next. I hate the silence If I want to play with myself... I will.

When I log into EA-Land I do so to have fun with like minded people. If someone tells me that I can't talk in property chat because its distracting to other people... they are not worth my time. And not worth the fun they are seeping out of my free time.

If lot owners find it so difficult and such a hardship to be a lot owner, then they should possibly find another way to game.

For the record.
I'm very self involved.
When I play the game, its for my enjoyment. I am here to make me laugh. If others laugh in the process I'm cool with that, but could care less either way.

I'm selfish and I just want to have fun.

Unless it pertains to my friends, I always want to make them laugh and I'm very selfless... but thats a whole nother topic for a whole nother day.

We all play our own ways. I wouldn't tell this guy he couldn't have no chat going on on his lot, I'd simply say that I would never be a part of it. B/c thats sorta how I roll.

G

Why go to a silent lot? how boring.

Being told to be quiet = exceptionally boring. Why play a social game where you can't even talk...

G

<blockquote><hr>

I don't want to read the sob story of how hard it is to run a lot. I've done it. I decided I didn't like to cater to peoples psychotic whims and shut down my top money house to become a lot hopper.

[/ QUOTE ]

You my dear friend - are definitely into yourself..

You want the world to read and put up with your long drawn out conversations in game and you can't give someone a moment of your time to read their post?

Get over yourself - case in point... IRONIC!

G

<blockquote><hr>

You want the world to read and put up with your long drawn out conversations in game and you can't give someone a moment of your time to read their post?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep I'm very into myself.

And yeah I go on my whims. I'm a huge fan of Irony! HUGE

but the difference is... if I'm talking a lot I'm involved in a conversation with others. If they didn't want to be involved in a convo with me (which is very rare and next to impossible) they wouldn't

But normally they do. I'm very funny.

G

Ain't no difference, just ignorance...

shall we dance? I say - do it.

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep I'm very into myself.

And yeah I go on my whims. I'm a huge fan of Irony! HUGE

but the difference is... if I'm talking a lot I'm involved in a conversation with others. If they didn't want to be involved in a convo with me (which is very rare and next to impossible) they wouldn't

[/ QUOTE ]

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

When I jump around to lots... .if the lot is dead in chat I move onto the next. I hate the silence If I want to play with myself... I will.

When I log into EA-Land I do so to have fun with like minded people. If someone tells me that I can't talk in property chat because its distracting to other people... they are not worth my time. And not worth the fun they are seeping out of my free time.

If lot owners find it so difficult and such a hardship to be a lot owner, then they should possibly find another way to game.

For the record.
I'm very self involved.
When I play the game, its for my enjoyment. I am here to make me laugh. If others laugh in the process I'm cool with that, but could care less either way.

Unless it pertains to my friends, I always want to make them laugh and I'm very selfless... but thats a whole nother topic for a whole nother day.

We all play our own ways. I wouldn't tell this guy he couldn't have no chat going on on his lot, I'd simply say that I would never be a part of it. B/c thats sorta how I roll.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too! Great post! You have a great way of describing me when you describe yourself!

C

Cashew

I don't understand how so many people can be so quick to judge. I have been to Jovius's lot often. It is far from quiet.
I've been a roomie on many lots. I have owned a few in the top 10. I've NEVER had complaints about someone just chatting in room chat. If that many people complained there had to be something going on that made them complain. It isn't 'the norm" to have your guests complain about chatting.

Before judging him on hearsay, visit his lot and see for yourself what kind of sim he is.

Edited because I misread something. I really shouldn't try to post when I have a headache.

G

Just for the record...

You only had 1 person talking to you and noone else... I don't find that highly involved or a sign of great conversation, I'd say it was just one person talking to you.

Would you please contradict yourself more? this is becoming entertaining.

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

G

If some one is pancakes about your casual chat, its their loss don’t support them anymore and go to a place that's more friendly.

G

<blockquote><hr>

If some one is pancakes about your casual chat, its their loss don’t support them anymore and go to a place that's more friendly.

[/ QUOTE ]
good summarization.

btw we're at the same lot right now in game. Just sayin'

G

I agree - he's always been a great host. Perhaps one of the few that will actually stop for a moment to answer a question for anyone. He works all day irl and plays in game when he can. The guy is exceptional. I feel he respected these people by asking them to go to private chat - but heck she wants to bring on the "bash the good guy battle" and I'm geared and ready for each one of her requests.

<blockquote><hr>

I don't understand how so many people can be so quick to judge. I have been to Jovius's lot often. It is far from quiet.
I've been a roomie on many lots. I have owned a few in the top 10. I've NEVER had complaints about someone just chatting in room chat. If that many people complained there had to be something going on that made them complain. It isn't 'the norm" to have your guests complain about chatting.
I don't see how Jovius "in to himself" if he is just looking out for the comfort of his guests.
Before judging him on hearsay, visit his lot and see for yourself what kind of sim he is.

[/ QUOTE ]

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

For the record.
I'm very self involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too! Great post! You have a great way of describing me when you describe yourself!

[/ QUOTE ]

Gracie, I take that as a HUGE compliment.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Just for the record...

You only had 1 person talking to you and noone else... I don't find that highly involved or a sign of great conversation, I'd say it was just one person talking to you.

Would you please contradict yourself more? this is becoming entertaining.

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not the person that was having a one on one conversation. I would try to include others. I don't see the contradiction.

I only see you taking everything I say personally when I have no idea who you are what you do or what your agenda is.

I simply stated that I would not sit in a lot with no conversation, if somebody told me I was talking to much I'd scoff at them and bounce.

I wouldn't tell them they couldn't have their lot that way, I wouldn't partake at it.

I am not personally attacking the lot owner, I could care less. Most of the time I don't even skill unless I'm stalking a group of friends who are skilling. So the odds of me showing up at his lot, getting snippy with him and bouncing are slim to none.

On the other hand, if I can make your stay here at stratics any more entertaining and enjoyable, please do not hesitate to let me know how so.
&lt;3

L

luvibunni

LOL

Good God! Don't come to my house if you like Quiet lots! =x

I think its the owners choice but what in the world are they playing this game for if not for any type of interaction? lol

BabiDoll~

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Jackiee wasn't one of the chatters in this specific instance, I don't see that she claimed to only speak with one person either.

I am curious though, after re-reading the OP, it says they were asked *several* times, was this at the same lot (meaning the same people complaining to roomies/owner) or different lots? If different lots that might make a difference, was it to the point where it was actually drowning out other conversations? I see posts saying this was not a silent lot but were other people actually conversing? I could see if the two chatters were ignoring everyone else who may have tried to join in on the conversation and were disrupting other actual conversations... but I can't tell from the above posts.

G

She was not asked several times at my lot, just that once. In fact, I don't think she had ever been there before (not that I'm aware of anyway). When i read her OP, the part about "several times" stuck in my head too. Yes, their chat was long and fast and took up a lot of chat space. Being an owner or roomie, you have to put up with that but when other guest complain (daily visitors), you have to make a decision. The complaints were that their chat was drowning out all other conversations and they felt ignored.

Thank you to the posters that had nice things to say about me and my roomies and property. Anyone that has ever been there knows we are good people and have balls of fun.

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

Well to solve it all the owner should tell the complainer to put you on ignore then he/she/it , have a few other words i could put but not allowed here, wont see your chat . Problem solved i would send a messge to that owner and tell her that also . Makes no since i hate a quiet house and i jump in ppls conversations all the time , i figure if they dont want anyone to reply to what they are saying then they would take to an IM. This is really poor judgement on the owners part . I would love to have the name , private IM of course cant post it here ,I will make it a point not to visit that lot .

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. This is so rediculous that I almost have to stiffle the laughter. Who in there right mind would ask anyone to not chat at all in their home because it bothers other guest? A moron maybe but i'm guessing that if you polled the majority that were there, they'd say they didn't mind.. I would like to know what house it is too if you don't mind because skilling is boring enough and to take away open chat, eeekkkk forget that!

PS I am talking about good clean chat and not something that could offend another person.

G

<blockquote><hr>

As a home owner, I find it is very important that all of my guests know they can speak freely in my home. Had I received complaints about someone chatting too much, I would have politely explained to the complainant how to use the ignore feature.

I have on occasion over the past few years had some very chatty roomies. I believe one even spent two hours filling our house chat with a full life story of her sim. Mind you, her sim was 2 years old by this time. As new guests arrived on property, I gracefully invited them to put my roomie on ignore it if bothered them.

There is no reason for people to complain about house chat as each has the ability to put the chatters on ignore. As a property owner, I would have let those not wanting to use their ignore feature leave. If they can't take action for their own discomfort and insist on me doing something about it, they are not welcome in my home.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. This is probly the best way.

Doesn't always work tho. At one place I was at (a long time ago, before EALand opened), one of the guests was "singing" along with the music the DJ was playing. It was quite irritating. But, rather than make an issue of it, I just put the guy on 'ignore'. No more annoying lyrics, no fighting - great.
Well, the guy noticed I had him on ignore and had someone else ask me why. I told her why and that I didn't want to start a fight, so I just iggy'd him. She became very upset about how "rude" I was, and tried to get the host to boot me. Fortunately, the host had a cooler head.
But, it just goes to show that no matter what you do - somebody isn't going to like it.

G

Well....this looks like another case of one-sided presentation on Stratics. It is funny/odd, how no one is ever the villain of their own story....when they are recounting it here on the boards....

I can certainly remember a few 'chats' in various houses, over the years, that were offensive, vulgar, exclusive and/or very annoying for one reason or another, that were totally dominating the room chat.

I have also seen a room "shushed".

So it seem entirely believable from both points of view.....and I suspect that, as with most conflicts in life, the truth falls somewhere in the middle.

C

Camile

Bangs Head on Desk

I would personally, not go back there, advise my friends, and let that house live in peaceful quiet bliss. There are plenty of great properties with great owners who dont have quite an attitiude about chatting.....I hope the owner enjoys his empty property.

G

She/they/He/it was asked on private message by the Lot Owner to go private message. She got huffy left and started writing story book messages to the owner calling him wrong for making such a request. She got tired of that and moved on to here... None of this was done in full public chat - the lot owner kept it private as he should have. I only know this, because I was there - and not once did I see him make any demands or requests in public chat.

I think she needs to relax and say more within a single sentence than sit there and type out a story book... line after line after line after line... not one single line of chat by her - it was constant long sentences then carried on to the next cause she ran out of space...

It's not chatting if you're taking up the whole screen to tell a story.

As for Jackie - as a reporter - she should remain non-bias by rl media standards. To enter a conversation in a highly opinionated post opens her up to mis-trust as well as ridicule. Now - of course anyone would find my last sentence as offensive, so balls in your court - how would you react to this and perhaps we can show you exactly how distasteful this person was earlier. That mere sentence will be and is upheld by the code of ethics by any person in the media. It is not some personal rule I am pushing on you - nor is it a comment I pulled out of my butt.

And by the way - if you too dislike my long drawn out stories as did Jackie above - imagine we in that lot this morning having to go through that, did I mention line after line after line after line? For almost an hour! egads!

I am merely showing you - exactly what we had to put up with this morning... now you let me know if he was out of line to ask them to move to private chat.. Or perhaps next time I'm in a lot with you - I'll be happy to chatter away telling you a long story.. line after line after line after line...

I'm all about the irony...

<blockquote><hr>

I would personally, not go back there, advise my friends, and let that house live in peaceful quiet bliss. There are plenty of great properties with great owners who dont have quite an attitiude about chatting.....I hope the owner enjoys his empty property.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just an FYI - that lot is far from quiet - perhaps one of the noisiest lots on EA Land, hard to be quiet with the hosts, they talk too much themselves - but always entertaining.

And with that - I leave you all, cause I truly hate forums - they're like the fuel that breeds drama. Peace out,

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Jackiee wasn't one of the chatters in this specific instance, I don't see that she claimed to only speak with one person either.

I am curious though, after re-reading the OP, it says they were asked *several* times, was this at the same lot (meaning the same people complaining to roomies/owner) or different lots? If different lots that might make a difference, was it to the point where it was actually drowning out other conversations? I see posts saying this was not a silent lot but were other people actually conversing? I could see if the two chatters were ignoring everyone else who may have tried to join in on the conversation and were disrupting other actual conversations... but I can't tell from the above posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

For the record, I would like to point out that my friend is MALE. He was even in a MALE sim at the time.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

Ok. In defense of the home owner.....

I have had on occassion had guests that show up strictly to distrupt my home by "spamming" house chat. By this I mean they do continue to chat so much that it becomes distruptive to other conversations in house. Since I was not present during this incident, I have no way of descerning whether this was an attempt to cause drama by the chatters or not.

However, If the conversation was a two way discussion in which other participants were ignored or not allowed to join into their conversation then I still would have asked everyone else in house to just put the two on ignore. Usually the drama queens will lose interest in their ongoing conversation when the whole house has added them to their ignore lists.

G

Again I didn't read this whole bleh .

but to this

<blockquote><hr>

As for Jackie - as a reporter - she should remain non-bias by rl media standards. To enter a conversation in a highly opinionated post opens her up to mis-trust as well as ridicule. Now - of course anyone would find my last sentence as offensive, so balls in your court - how would you react to this and perhaps we can show you exactly how distasteful this person was earlier. That mere sentence will be and is upheld by the code of ethics by any person in the media. It is not some personal rule I am pushing on you - nor is it a comment I pulled out of my butt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Problem with how I conduct myself.

Talk to Mike Rizzo.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Edited because I misread something. I really shouldn't try to post when I have a headache.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not going to pretend I know anything about him as a person, but I found it very rude of him to ask me to go to PM when I hadn't done or said anything offensive. The whole point of the game is socializing, which is what I did.

Also, I'd like to point out in response to "Mygirl" it wasn't just me talking. It was my friend and I. I don't generally make a habit of typing to myself. And as many people have said, the ignore feature works just fine. If someone doesn't want to read what I post, they don't have to.