• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Improving Pet AI

I

imported_Lariat

Ahh, so there IS a use for "all come" as opposed to "all follow me." I stand corrected.

F

Fayled Dhreams

<blockquote><hr>

I am with Petra on this.
It does sound very good but I think the pet should autodefend at least a little. Not chase after something but if it is right there next to it..fight back.

I am hopeful though and it should be a great improvement overall. Thanks devs! Keep it up..this has been awesome lately. Such good communication and follow through.

Now..more stable slots...pirates...stackable items...oh and more pirate stuff

[/ QUOTE ]

mmmm
Tough call on the "auto defending" ...
makes sense for limited situations ... leading into/out of battle field ..

Tough call is in regards to afk farmers ...
If there are such things...

Overlooked (so far, need to update the thread) is that the "follow", "name come" ...is "only" to restore some . modicum . of control over the beastie ...
won't necessarily (as far as I've seen) make the beasties Better ... in navigating obstacles ... getting into, out of, around crowds ...

C

chitrani

Thanks Leurocian !

I'm worried about the not auto-defending at all too though. Surely there is some way of letting pets auto-defend if say.. they receive a melee hit from another creature? That would make sense wouldn't it?

I love it that my pets will actually follow me, instead of taking off after every mongbat they see, it will be especially nice to not have to worry about pets opening the door and leaving the house to chase something that I can't see JUST off the screen,lol. That's gonna save me alot of running after my beetles !

See y'all on test !

Chitrani

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

This is already possible. A magic casting pet told 'come' will teleport to the owner. I've used it often when my pet has teleported at cyclops beach into the rocks, sometimes I have to ask more than once, but they always come to me.

Hopefully that won't get broken in these changes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those changes should remain unaffected.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent, that was the only thing that came to mind after reading these messages. Thanks for attending to these changes !

F

Fayled Dhreams

kind of "puts it back" on the attending tamer to say:
"BooBoo! HIT &gt;him&lt; Back" ...
eh?

G

<blockquote><hr>

I'm worried about the not auto-defending at all too though. Surely there is some way of letting pets auto-defend if say.. they receive a melee hit from another creature? That would make sense wouldn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like it if we could have one command that ensures the pet will walk through the spawn ignoring it completely, and one for a logical auto defend mode where the pet will return attacks issued within a certain radius.

Then we can have situations where we're in a low spawn area and don't mind pets biting spawn as they pass, but when we *really* must keep our pets close and move swiftly, we can do that too.

Wenchy

I

imported_Coppelia

Hello,

First of all thank you! I've been waiting that for a long time.

Just a suggestion : maybe the Stop command, as it let the pet wander around, should allow it to defend itself (not its owner of course), like if it were in the wild.

Anyway, that's a good news.

DrDolittle

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I am reading all this correctly it seems like you have removed all capability for the pet to defend itself if attacked unless you have told the pet to guard you.

Big Question; have you fixed the bugs in the guard command?

Frankly, I am not sure that I am comfortable with the idea having your pet pretty much ignore anything that attacks it in so many different situations. I think that a better solution would be to have the pet ignore anything that…

A) Has not caused damage to the pet.
B) Is outside a certain range.
C) Has no path to the pet (i.e. is on the other side of a wall).

…rather than completely ignoring all attacks.

If something is actually doing damage to one of my pets then I darn well want it to defend itself rather than waiting politely for an attack or guard command that may not be coming because I am looking at a gray screen.

It would certainly be annoying to take a dirt nap and return from the healer to discover that your fully trained nightmare had been whacked by a flock of mongbats because it ignored their attack because the nightmare was not in guard mode as you were riding it.

If you want to do something really interesting with pet AI make them “programmable” so that we can code their behavior in various situations.

G

Just out of curiosity...why is the best AI in the game on the New Haven spectral spellbinders? Seems an odd thing to have so much better ability to get around obstacles than anything else in the game.

C

chitrani

<blockquote><hr>

It would certainly be annoying to take a dirt nap and return from the healer to discover that your fully trained nightmare had been whacked by a flock of mongbats because it ignored their attack because the nightmare was not in guard mode as you were riding it.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG, that would so Not rock ! Especially since it would happen to me ALOT, lol.

Leurocian, can you look at giving mounts a chance to auto-defend in particular?

Dang, This is so complicated ! Pets not running after things is good, pets not auto-defending could be bad *rolls eyes*

We'll have to trust Leurocian to figure it all out !

Chitrani (Who thinks she needs more sleep or more caffeine or maybe both
)

G

Oh my...this is wonderful news! *excited*

Thank you, Leurocian! I can't wait to try these changes out! *smiles*

F

Fayled Dhreams

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG, that would so Not rock ! Especially since it would happen to me ALOT, lol.

Leurocian, can you look at giving mounts a chance to auto-defend in particular?

Dang, This is so complicated ! Pets not running after things is good, pets not auto-defending could be bad *rolls eyes*

We'll have to trust Leurocian to figure it all out !

Chitrani (Who thinks she needs more sleep or more caffeine or maybe both
)

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting dismounted and ghosted ... by a herd(flock) of mongbats...

hmmm
just saying ...

priority should probably be to avoid that situation ... FIRST ...

Uthar Pendragon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just wondering if in conjunction to all these changes if allowing the all follow me command to be followed if your dead. I would not want any other commands to be usable as it would be highly exploitable but if you die then you could tell your pet to follow you to the healer. Just a sugguestion.

G

Good_Ole_Lefty

One thing about pet AI that has bothered me over the years is pet auto attacking.

Here is an expample. A pack horse auto attacking a troll or ogre. Now there is no way a pack horse could beat a either. I think docile pets that have no chance of surviving should run away from danger and not towards it. They would be spooked and run.

So I think a bravery rating check should be put into place vs monsters at least dociles such as pack horses, llamas, beetles, and swamp dragons.

I

imported_DarkVoid

<blockquote><hr>

Hello Everyone,

We've been reading over your feedback on the recent Crystal Ball of Pet Summoning changes. Some of you have expressed concerns about Pet AI, and that the crystal ball was heavily relied on due to the inadequacies of the Pet AI.

I believe I have internally improved Pet AI.

Here is how the new AI should behave:

Commands:

Guard – The pet should guard as it does currently.
Follow – The pet should follow. It will not attack anything, even if it is attacked.
Come – The pet should walk to. It will not attack anything, even if it is attacked.
Kill/Attack – The pet will attack its target as it does currently.
Stop – The pet will stop attacking. It will not attack anything, even if it is attacked, and may wander.
Stay – The pet will stay where it is currently, and will not attack anything, even if it is attacked.

QA is currently reviewing these changes internally. Once the changes pass internal review, they should appear on a public Test Center for an upcoming publish.

Once these changes are on Test Center, please be sure to send us your feedback on these changes.

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

These changes are great for tamers. If you're on a mounted pet and you dismount it to feed it, it'll stop it from getting attacked and wandering off to attack back.

That is, if QA are going to test the following things:

1. If high-level mount EG nightmare has ranged attack, will it attack back with spells, or will it totally ignore the attacking monsters?

2. The situation described above where I have to dismount it and feed it then hop back on again. Hopefully, I will be able to do this and not have my pet wander off, if there is a mount it should default to following it's owner unless explicitly told through commands to do otherwise.

3. Felucca Champ spawn areas: The last time I tried one - a while ago - it got raided, and my pets and I were killed. I could not summon my pets out of the Champ spawn area while they were a ghost, and they wandered off. I had to wait a good amount of time, go back into the champ spawn dungeon, and retrieve my pets manually after having resurrected and reequipped.

At the time, I had used the stuck option to teleport out. I believe it was before they had pets onscreen teleport out with you. If a pet ghost wanders off-screen, the owner is stuck with having to journey back into the dungeon to rescue it.

Cheers ...

DarkVoid

G

"Any changes with the Fetch command?"

The Fetch command was removed because it was being exploited/abused. A person would find someone else's corpse, couldn't loot it without going grey, so they'd just open up the corpse without taking anything, and tell they're pet to fetch something off the person's corpse. This would make the pet turn grey, but not the owner, the owner would then tell their pet to drop the item, which they'd pick up, and tell it to fetch another item off the corpse. This was also done on monster corpses that the player had not earned the right to loot, so if he would've looted it he would of went grey. When Tram was first introduced, Criminals could be attacked in it. Which is why you'd find annoying people who would wait for you to have a Lich near death in the Lich Room, then they'd sneak in one hit on it so they could loot it without going grey.

The "Drop" command no longer functions on younger pets, but it still does on REALLY old pets. Like my 7xGM WW that i tamed the first week they came out, he still obeys the "Drop" command, however he has nothing to drop, besides maybe the occasional Arrow or Bolt from some monster shooting at him.

Oh, and currently, the Guard command can only be used on yourself. You can't tell a pet to Guard someone else or itself. You used to be able to have them Guard 2 items/people/positions and tell them "Patrol", and they'd walk back and forth between the items/people/spot. If someone tried using the item, the pet would attack (If in Fel, otherwise it would show a "Agitated" message), if someone/something attacked one of the people, the pet would attack, if someone got near the area, the pet would show a "Agitated" message in Tram, and would attack in Fel.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<u>Need also a</u>

Defend [self at current position] – The pet will stay where it is currently, and will attack only whatever attacks it. Will either stop or return to position when attacker dies, whichever is easiest.

otherwise pets will not defend themselves and die if anything attacks it

G

<blockquote><hr>

... like Auto defending?
... like if a warrior walks by an ettin that has aggro and they auto swing since they're in range?

If that isn't too hard to code, that seems nice. But I don't think it should include spells. e.g. If a mage walks by an ettin that has aggro they don't auto cast spells at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously I would have to say no on this too many times I kill unattended/scripter tamers letting their dog loose in tight spawn places. in the big picture it would kill a source of scripted gold farming/ unattend pet training/ "Event item" script farming eg: treasures of tok, book of truth, exc,exc.

S

Sir Ha-ward

Will the bug that makes the pets turn back to blue(non flagged) after the tamer tells them to follow me be looked at as well? This is causing alot of guardwhacking on siege

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

One thing about pet AI that has bothered me over the years is pet auto attacking.

Here is an expample. A pack horse auto attacking a troll or ogre. Now there is no way a pack horse could beat a either. I think docile pets that have no chance of surviving should run away from danger and not towards it. They would be spooked and run.

So I think a bravery rating check should be put into place vs monsters at least dociles such as pack horses, llamas, beetles, and swamp dragons.

[/ QUOTE ] I am not sure about your swampie,but mine can eat trolls and ogres for lunch because I have trained it up well. Just get yours to gm in fighting skill and its not a problem.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
This will be terrific! You've made me eat my words, and I am more than happy to do it! Thank you!

G

I'll take the very rare pet sitting doing nothing while I'm dead in exchange for the pets not running off and getting me killed trying to find/heal/rescue them from things I didn't want to fight to begin with. Maybe allow a ghost to tell the critter to guard? Or have it go into auto-guard when the owner dies?

Just the idea of my pets actually doing what I tell them to do has me all tingly!

Rey~

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Im sorry if this has already been asked ( I didnt' read the entire thread). Any chance you'll fix the AI part where pets run off at beyond mount speed after death? Even if you log out and back in, as soon as they appear it's like a Warner Bros cartoon as they run off again.

G

Yeah, a trained Swampy/Beetle can eat a Ogre/Troll, especially trained Beetles. Paroxysmus' Swamp Dragon also eats them alive.

I

imported_Vyrquenox

---------------------------------------------
am not sure about your swampie,but mine can eat trolls and ogres for lunch because I have trained it up well. Just get yours to gm in fighting skill and its not a problem.
------------------------------------------------

Yes, but if you die, say, in the mag invasion, should your swampy take off directly at the horde of demons just off screen? Proabably not, plus it will run like the wind onto just about anything so far off screen its not funny. They are well known suicide machines. That is a bit much, actually. I've run off several screens from a paragon balron before dying from an explosion and had the dragon immediatelly abandon my body and charge down the hall a good two screens to die. It is too funny.

J

joblackjon

Fantastic improvements!!!

Wouldn't it be easier and more customizable, if there was an autodefend on/off button? This would regulate autodefending regardless of other commands. For example, "Stop" would not change the autodefend setting. Riding pet and rider gets killed...pet will defend self if autodefend is on.

One additional request...
I've trained several Weimaraners for field trials and I used a "go" command, pointed a direction and then shouted "stop". In game I would like to say "go Fido", the curser turns targeting, I click anywhere on the screen and Fido tries to go there.

G

I remember the 'Patrol' Command.

Always thought it was neat, too. I wish this one would be reactivated and improved.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That will be great! It was always annoying that my dragon took of on a adventure of his own!

I

imported_mr.blackmage

any chance at ever looking at NPC casting abilities? Seems silly that they just queue up spells that can hit you at any point in time regardless of where you are or where you recalled to, simply because it was queued. Maybe have monsters "cast" spells instead, that can be interrupted, and give them spell ranges as well? This could actually help with monster difficulty, give creatures that are more versed in the arts faster casting, a few tiles extra range, and less of a chance to be interrupted casting a spell?

Just saying, would make this games PvM more appealing at the very least.

A

Al Thorin

Questions!

So I assume it will still only apply to a single pet at a given time?

Follow – The pet should follow. It will not attack anything, even if it is attacked.
Come – The pet should walk to. It will not attack anything, even if it is attacked.

Does this mean it won't 'defend' against something in melee range too?

Stop – The pet will stop attacking. It will not attack anything, even if it is attacked, and may wander.
So, once told to stop, it will wander, and not attack anything, forever? Does this apply to melee range as well?
Is it possible to adjust it so 'stop' is a timed command? Say, 3-5 seconds where it will be stopped?
Does this resolve the issue where a pet told to stop, but has a queued spell, causing the pet to resume previous agressions?

Stay – The pet will stay where it is currently, and will not attack anything, even if it is attacked.
Again, does this also apply to melee ranged defending?

Also, is it possible to have a LOS fix? One of the single greatest agrevations I have with pets, is their insistance on trying to kill something that has 'flagged' on myself, or my beast, but does not have LOS?
IE, my pet loves to try to take off on despise island when a critter OFF the island, often not even visible, attempts to flag.
Bog, COD, Oaks, and Tortise spawns all have many ridges and such that harbor mobs that -love- to flag on pets, causing them to plaster themselves to walls or ridges, while many critters within their reach are busy trying to dispatch them.

I've gotten into the habbit of never bringing pets to a spawn because the habbits of pets to sit uselessly against a wall or cliff. I use EV's to work spawn simply because they are far more effective (Plus than can just be dispeled if they are in the wrong spot)

Samaira

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*Pulls out the karaoke machine*

"Have I told... you lately... that I lo-ove you..."

But seriously. THANK YOU. A lot of questions that hopefully will be answered after our fantastic bunch of test-happy tamers work with this on TC, but at first look and first think, I'm one very happy girl. I would definitely like it if a non-autodefending pet would respond in kind to melee damage, but I'm happy to wait and see what happens on Test.

I &lt;3 Leurocian

*goes off to bake cookies*

G

<blockquote><hr>

Interesting, but I'm not totally convinced.

But I forsee problems if the pets don't autodefend at all.
I'd like to see the tamer's commands over ride autodefend, but not eliminate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have to agree here, there has to be an Autodefend mech still programed into the pets, if not there will be more problems then we have now. You just can't have a pet listen to one command then sit there &amp; get trashed because of no auto defense mechanism ability.

Can you imagine doing a Champ Spawn with a Pet and NO Auto defense !!! lmao I remember when Champs 1st started you needed pets there now you want to basically with no auto def take them out of the pic?? bah

What started out as a PvP problem with Pet Summon Ball abuse has now snowballed to AI &amp; pet command changes. Yes, some changes were due, needed &amp; pet ball abuse w/animal form (getten rid of animal form being as a No slot would of cured 99% of abuse). But it should not totally change how pets will react &amp; defend themselves, esp in PvM

I

imported_GalenKnighthawke

Keep in mind that I've never played a tamer.

With that in mind.....

1. I would worry about the potential loss of pet "personality." Tamers really seem to often develop attachments to their pets, partly on the basis of personality. Different pets respond differently. "My pet never switches targets." "My pet never listens." Aren't enough things in this game cut from a certain mold?

2. Tamers, especially with the Greater Dragons, are a pretty powerful class. Always have been, but the Greater Dragons just make it "worse." The changes have the potential to nullify some pretty important "balancing" factors. Imagine how difficult it'll be in PvP to fight a Greater Dragon that always does exactly what it's told and can't be distracted by flagging on it, or lured away from its owner, to its death?

-Galen's player

I

imported_gawin

Please make the pet smart enough so that when it is on one monster and you tell it to kill another one that comes up it will actually attack the one you tell it to and not auto revert back to the one it was killing first.

ATLPvPer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the biggest problem with Pet AI is their ability to attack from off-screen, aswell as the ability to enter Private houses in Felluca via-teleportation.

Getting hit by a 73 damage fireball from a super-dragon a screen and a half away or getting attacked in a confining house present huge problems in PvP. Pets themselves present huge problems in PvP, especially with this new Super-dragon addition.

I think the fix-all for pets in PvP is to have pets do half damage against players, because players do not have NEARLY the amount of hit points that a monster has. There is no need to do such vast amounts of damage. That coupled with dismount count for an instant kill against ANY template. This pet-ball fix will help, as people cannot run and use a petball with super-dragons, but the PvM - PvP balance with pets is broken. I am not sure that devs were thinking about PvP at all when they introduced Super-dragons.

F

Fayled Dhreams

first post

Hummm ... how'd you get to:

Imagine how difficult it'll be in PvP to fight a Greater Dragon that always does exactly what it's told and can't be distracted by flagging on it, or lured away from its owner, to its death?

Just saying ... IF the auto-defend gets toyed with ...
need to reimagine how combat is gonna play out ...
I mean ... what if ...the tamer is pursued off screen ... and the current target gets "invised"?

"all follow me" .... wasn't mentioned as a "fix" for pushthrough issues ... Instant "Here NOW !" has been addressed via the timer on the petball ..
(only other "instant" ... logout/login ...meh! maybe, maybe not ... we'll see )

Just saying ...
Nows not the best time to go imagining things not in evidence.

a little observation time on test, however ...

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Any changes with the Fetch command? It's not quite as necessary, but having a dragon bring me my boots sounds like an interesting concept...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at this time. Just the commands listed in my original post for the time being.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL how about his dragon eating his boots when he says "Fetch" ?
Sorry could not resist this!

WarUltima

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just think the changes are good but people just kept on asking for more.

I bet soon people would suggest adding those WOW pet stance bottoms where it consists of agressive (run around attacking nearest target), passive (do nothing whatsoever and stay next to the master), defensive (it's like guarding in UO) blah blah.

Anyways I think the changes are cool. People seem to want a pet AI that can attack an enemy when the master THINK he should, knows when to retreat, never wander around when the player dont want it to WHILE attacking any easier mobs that can be killed quickly and to stay passive if the enemy has certain level of difficulty.

I know it's cool to have even better AI but if you are asking the pet to react just like human beings and follow all human common sense without the player doing anything to control it...... we are probably asking too much.

I

imported_Daelomin

<blockquote><hr>

Commands:

[/ QUOTE ]

These changes are all good. We could use a new pet command...

New pet command:
Defend - Pet will defend itself if attacked (and STOP command will stop defending)

G

Drop command works on any pet that is bonded. I use it regularly when I've been fighting anything that fires arrows.

I usually manage to forget to tell newly bonded pets to drop though.

I just realised I missed the loot off my new greater dragon, forgot to get it to drop before we tried to take on a yamandon. oops.

Fluffi

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Hello Everyone,

We've been reading over your feedback on the recent Crystal Ball of Pet Summoning changes. Some of you have expressed concerns about Pet AI, and that the crystal ball was heavily relied on due to the inadequacies of the Pet AI.

I believe I have internally improved Pet AI.

Here is how the new AI should behave:

Commands:

QA is currently reviewing these changes internally. Once the changes pass internal review, they should appear on a public Test Center for an upcoming publish.

Once these changes are on Test Center, please be sure to send us your feedback on these changes.

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

I would suggest the minor tweak of an additional command; "defend yourself against attacks, but don't wander-off just because you've been aggroed by something 3 screens away". (Possibly the "guard" command targetted on the pet itself.)
As long as this command can be combined with a "follow", this will make pack hunting a pleasure without having to resort to petballs when passing through high spawn areas.

Thanks.

*goes to bond ossies on TC*

G

A further thought.

Will the pets have the potential to ignore these commands if the tamer's lore is insufficient?

I'd rather the changes didn't form a substitute for skill levels, or indeed, players' competence.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Imagine how difficult it'll be in PvP to fight a Greater Dragon that always does exactly what it's told and can't be distracted by flagging on it, or lured away from its owner, to its death?

[/ QUOTE ]

Imagine how difficult it'll be to defend against attackers (or as an aggressor) to play a tamer if every Tom, ****, and Harry mashes down their attacklast macro and the tamer has no way of pulling the pet back.

Because this is what happened when y'all neutered petballs.

I

imported_Anakena

<blockquote><hr>

These changes are all good. We could use a new pet command...

New pet command:
Defend - Pet will defend itself if attacked (and STOP command will stop defending)

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds a good and simple idea.

G

All looks good, except you missed one of the main reasons I have to rely on a pet ball. Pets pathfind like crap. Mine are always getting stuck in trees, on private houses, if there is any possible obstacle, my pet will get stuck in it.

G

you've missed the several posts answering that one too.

Using 'name/all come' magically imbues the pet with the ability to go around corners or even teleport, if it's a magic caster.

G

It'd be good if the code that tells a herded pet to follow you was also used for the pet follow one. If I herd my pets to follow me, they'll get around obstacles just fine.

Still laughing at the suggestion that pack critters should flee from things like ogres... 2 miners in the tavern:
Joe: You had a hard day mining Fred? You look knackered!
Fred: Oh the mining was fine, but my ingots ran off...

It'd be funny (for some) if the odd pet spawned as a coward... Say a random phobia that showed up in lore gump heh. The pet wouldn't want to go near said beastie. Maybe also a creature the pet is more skilled at fighting, based on what the critter has fought during training. So if you fought a range of beasties, the pet may evolves as a generalist, where if you parked it at one spawn you'd get a specialised killer.

Wenchy

F

Fatal Attraction

Also can it be made so the tamers now get insurance money in pvp...
and if a random blue player hits a blue tamers pet, that ramdom blue should become criminal, im fed up blues hitting my blue pets and i cant do ne thing