• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Improve your UO Experience!

• Thread starter evilomorthan
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
E

evilomorthan

How to get the best performance out of your computer for Ultima Online.

First, if you haven't ever opened up your computer and dusted it out, this can cause a huge overheating problem and really affect your computer's performance. Open up your case, and blow it out with compressed air. Dust holds in a lot of heat, and heat slows down a computer. For advanced users: periodically its good to take off your processors heatsink/fan to make sure that the thermal grease conducting heat from your processor is still good. If you find that your processor is melted to your heatsink and pops out of the motherboard with it, don't worry, just pry it off with a screwdriver being careful not to damage it, and apply more thermal grease or if you don't have any, regular bearing grease works just as well. This is very key.

Lower your resolution. I know a lot of people, including myself, love high resolutions (1280*1024) but if you're having performance issues, lower it to 1024*768 or 800*600.

In addition to changing your resolution, change color settings as well. Most computers default to (True or high color 32-bit). Change this to medium 16-bit.

In your UO client, change your colors to 565 (checkbox). Some people may choose not to do this because it really does change all the colors, reds look purple, etc.. and it doesn't have a HUGE effect on performance.

Also, change your UO client in the options on ur paperdoll to cache 0 houses on client. I'm not really sure which way to set this slider, because at 0 it won't attempt to load a lot of houses, but at 1000 it supposedly "caches" the houses to keep them memorized therefore you won't have to load, but idk if that resets when the client is restarted, so i keep it at 0. Try both to see if you can tell a difference.

Also remember to often run a malware scanner and virus scanner, as well as defrag/remove temp files regularly.

Download a RAM optimizer. This will periodically defrag your ram and keep it free for whichever program you plan to focus on.

You can find a free one here: http://www.yourwaresolutions.com/

Restart your computer regularly, and give it breaks when needed. You can monitor your computers heat sensors with this little nifty program here: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php This program also allows you to control your fan speeds in case you have a really loud computer, you can shut it up :p. Obviously if stuff is running hot then you should give it a break.

I hope this helps!!

If anyone is still having performance issues I can try to help you just post. :p

G

It also seems to help if you select the client.exe process from the task manager and give it a high priority.

R

Rykus

<blockquote><hr>

Also, change your UO client in the options on ur paperdoll to cache 0 houses on client. I'm not really sure which way to set this slider, because at 0 it won't attempt to load a lot of houses, but at 1000 it supposedly "caches" the houses to keep them memorized therefore you won't have to load, but idk if that resets when the client is restarted, so i keep it at 0. Try both to see if you can tell a difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

I leave mine around 35 and I have no issues with it causing lag or sucking too much RAM. Before I knew about that setting and it was at 1,000, the client.exe would consume well over 1 GB of RAM after playing for a bit and running by a lot of houses. I like having *some* caching to reduce the re-loads of housing data in most situations, but too much can definitely cause degraded performance after a short time.

N

Nerf-Herder

<blockquote><hr>

It also seems to help if you select the client.exe process from the task manager and give it a high priority.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried that before. My character ran faster than a chicken with its head cut off, but it used up so much of my PC that I couldn't be in vent, map, listen to tunes, have smut DLing... You know, all the cool stuff.

I also got the feeling that my poor seven year old puter was going to explode if I kept doing that.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried that before. My character ran faster than a chicken with its head cut off, but it used up so much of my PC that I couldn't be in vent, map, listen to tunes, have smut DLing... You know, all the cool stuff.

I also got the feeling that my poor seven year old puter was going to explode if I kept doing that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe, true enough, but those of us who play on dial-up get it where we can