Impact of vet reward changes

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 24, 2008
Lincoln, Nebraska
If you want to tick off your most loyal customers, this would be the perfect way to do it.

Frankly, I find your post offensive.

I think if you tally up the people who are happy about this change and the people who are unhappy you will find the later in the vast minority. And frankly the people who are complaining about it are people who don't play or at least don't play regularly but who chose to keep their basically inactive accounts open so that they could accrue valuable item in a game they don't even really play.

I personally think that it would be foolish of the developers to develop for people who don't even play over the people who do. Nor do I consider people like that "loyal" customers. Just people who can't break their addictions. Do they want your money? Of course. Should they develop the game around keeping you non playing customers happy? Of course not.

As for being offended, why? I don't work on this game. I simply don't think you have been wounded so greatly.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 24, 2008
Lincoln, Nebraska
This quit being a game the moment someone (any one of us) paid $9.95 to Electronic Arts for the monthly subscription. At that time it became a real world business transaction with real world customer/client relationships and real world consequences.

Because games don't cost money? The point is that here in the game we pay to play what happens is unimportant, as it's just a form of entertainment, unlike the real world where people have physical needs that must be met or they perish. The only real life consequence here is that one may cancel an account, or choose to pay for. Those are the only two meaningful outcomes. Both of no great importance.

Reactions: Lord Frodo

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oct 21, 2006
Stevenage
A vet rewards should reward the player for loyalty, I don't think anyone can argue with that. A super mount, amazing deco or robe, teleporter tiles etc, allows the vet to show off status but they do NOT enhance or give advantage in game play. SHARD SHIELDS do exactly this, and seeing as transfer tokens seem to be in excess of 50m to everyone else now just goes to prove the point. totally imbalanced and gives a massive unfair advantage when xfering to rares fests, moving stock, in fact, rares traders, and traders in general gained from this, I also read how vets trained up chars and kitted them out and then sent them to ALL shards for EM events so they can get shinnies and sell in ATL. So 50m, plus a return token for one char per shard, wow do that math, vet = 0 gold, anyone else stupid millions, most cannot afford, so cannot partake or compete, now seeing as this seems to be a game where people play multi shards, who has the unfair advantage????
Anyone that says this is not an unfair advantage is doing it! lol

So like the old script cheating argument, anyone who disagrees in profiting from it, or using it to gain advantage, there is NO was to argue against
Shard Shields should be available to all, Mesanna was going to look into a chargeable set, like the teleporter tiles, but seeing as she used the snail power to look into this, I gave up and quit

I just feel sorry for those left behind...........

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 24, 2008
Lincoln, Nebraska
I think Vet rewards should stay usable to only that age.
If you are going to disregard this, why not make it that once you hit 1 yr you can choose ANY vet reward, but make it so every year you get one more pick. 1st year gets one pick, 2nd year gets 2 picks, 3rd year 3. Up to 10.
Then people will still be able to sell their picks, trade or what have you, but the vets feel they get rewarded still.
Otherwise there is no point to me making sure my account ages, I would just need to scrape up enough gold to buy whatever vet pick i wanted and be done with it....

I don't see why that would necessarily follow. With this change there will be exactly the same number of these high end rewards as there are now. The ONLY potential difference is that more of them might see use, which I think is a good thing. Why bother having them at all if they are just gonna sit in someone's bank box.

Honestly I for one wouldn't care if they made all vet reward picks universal, so people would feel like they were wasting picks not choosing something from the highest level possible, but I digress...

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2008
SoCal.
I fail to see any issue here. One still has to be at the proper account age to claim the respective rewards. The only thing that is really changing is who can and cannot actually use these rewards after buying them from other players.

Don't want someone using your claimed reward who isn't old enough? Don't sell it. Problem solved!

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dec 27, 2004
I honestly have no idea WTF all the uproar is about. I enjoy my rewards when I get them... I also like to sell them when I don't need them or when I need a few million on some shard other than my home shard...

WTF do I care if the person I'm selling them to is only a 2 or 3 year vet and they want a set of Teleporter tiles? BIG FREAKING DEAL. It ain't hurting me if they have them. I'm not losing any sleep over it... they are a very nice addition to the Game... and hell if he don't want to pay what I want to sell them for he can always go buy the pink ones from EA/Origin... for that matter they can buy a Charger and green soulstones too..... and so can I.... again who cares. Honestly...

I remember hating it that I worked my fingers to the bone to finally GM tailoring only to realize it would suck to try to sell my wares on a vendor when I couldn't even get or use a leather dye tub to make them look all nice like the other people always did on their vendors... the idea of waiting 1 or 2 years to be able to make a few gold selling nice suits really sucked. Kinda like when I learned that I wasn't ever going to be able to place anywhere because the land was full and nothing ever fell.. and the smallest tower cost 5 million in gold.... something that seemed impossible to get.

Why make the game less fun and more painful to play? Why turn people off by restricting them enjoying the game??? Just because you think you earned something by your years of play.... well yes we all did it's 2 picks a year after so many years... that's what we earn... while they get 1.... so what...

And I must remind most you whinny ass little crybabies who think they need to be having the good stuff for themselves because you think you earned some badge of honor for your 15+ years.... without young new players.... we won't last another 15+ years. So pin that on your rear end...

And finally... MANY folk who have returned to UO having put in 10 years before can't get their old accounts back because either they sold them, gave them to friends or can't remember the information anymore to restart their account and going thru the EA customer service nightmare and wasting 3 to 5 hours of their life on hold doesn't appeal to them.... so they start a new account.... now why should they be penalized??? They had a 10 year account..... and would yet if EA wasn't such a steaming pile of dog biscuits.... and actually built an account system that worked... and had customer service that was actually helpful...

This conversation gets as stupid and all together out of control just as much as the UO is dying conversations that pop up every 2 or 3 months/weeks...
Nice rant full of caps and swearing but you obviously just don't get it.

1) As far as vet rewards go nobody is penalizing returning players. Are you forgetting that for whatever reason they quit in the first place? The rewards are not given out for quitting. They are given out for not quitting.
You think they should be earning 10+ year rewards just because they returned? Lol at that.
The account management system has nothing to do with that. They quit.
You do realize what the word quit means right?

2) If you could not sell your gm tailored goods for no other reason then they weren't dyed maybe you just needed vendor lessons? Sorry to have to break that to you :(
Must have been a pretty traumatic experience as you used the words hated and
sucked

3) The "whinny ass little crybabies" you referred to did earn something for playing 15 years. They earned the vet rewards and more importantly the status that went along with them that were given to them by the game. That has nothing to do with todays new players. Us whinny ass little crybabies were once new players ourselves. Long before you started playing the game I might add.

4) You still having huge issues with other players on your shard standing on top of you at events?

Reactions: Irulia Darkaith

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Aug 21, 2000
Great Lakes
uorpc.net
Nice rant full of caps and swearing but you obviously just don't get it.

1) As far as vet rewards go nobody is penalizing returning players. Are you forgetting that for whatever reason they quit in the first place? The rewards are not given out for quitting. They are given out for not quitting.
You think they should be earning 10+ year rewards just because they returned? Lol at that.
The account management system has nothing to do with that. They quit.
You do realize what the word quit means right?

2) If you could not sell your gm tailored goods for no other reason then they weren't dyed maybe you just needed vendor lessons? Sorry to have to break that to you :(
Must have been a pretty traumatic experience as you used the words hated and
sucked

3) The "whinny ass little crybabies" you referred to did earn something for playing 15 years. They earned the vet rewards and more importantly the status that went along with them that were given to them by the game. That has nothing to do with todays new players. Us whinny ass little crybabies were once new players ourselves. Long before you started playing the game I might add.

4) You still having huge issues with other players on your shard standing on top of you at events?
And here you are trolling yet again. Yes they are penalized because the craptastic account management debacle won't let them get their account back and they have to start all over where they can't use anything anymore... IF you knew anything you'd know that especially if you have friends trying to return and becoming highly frustrated. But I'm guessing with your charm and attitude you probably don't have to many of those.

You are still spoiled whinny crybabies if you think you have to keep everything to yourselves you'll soon find no one playing with you. And it won't matter in the slightest because there won't be a UO.

Veritas et Sapientia

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Jun 6, 2013
I honestly have no idea WTF all the uproar is about. I enjoy my rewards when I get them... I also like to sell them when I don't need them or when I need a few million on some shard other than my home shard...

WTF do I care if the person I'm selling them to is only a 2 or 3 year vet and they want a set of Teleporter tiles? BIG FREAKING DEAL. It ain't hurting me if they have them. I'm not losing any sleep over it... they are a very nice addition to the Game... and hell if he don't want to pay what I want to sell them for he can always go buy the pink ones from EA/Origin... for that matter they can buy a Charger and green soulstones too..... and so can I.... again who cares. Honestly...

I remember hating it that I worked my fingers to the bone to finally GM tailoring only to realize it would suck to try to sell my wares on a vendor when I couldn't even get or use a leather dye tub to make them look all nice like the other people always did on their vendors... the idea of waiting 1 or 2 years to be able to make a few gold selling nice suits really sucked. Kinda like when I learned that I wasn't ever going to be able to place anywhere because the land was full and nothing ever fell.. and the smallest tower cost 5 million in gold.... something that seemed impossible to get.

Why make the game less fun and more painful to play? Why turn people off by restricting them enjoying the game??? Just because you think you earned something by your years of play.... well yes we all did it's 2 picks a year after so many years... that's what we earn... while they get 1.... so what...

And I must remind most you whinny ass little crybabies who think they need to be having the good stuff for themselves because you think you earned some badge of honor for your 15+ years.... without young new players.... we won't last another 15+ years. So pin that on your rear end...

And finally... MANY folk who have returned to UO having put in 10 years before can't get their old accounts back because either they sold them, gave them to friends or can't remember the information anymore to restart their account and going thru the EA customer service nightmare and wasting 3 to 5 hours of their life on hold doesn't appeal to them.... so they start a new account.... now why should they be penalized??? They had a 10 year account..... and would yet if EA wasn't such a steaming pile of dog biscuits.... and actually built an account system that worked... and had customer service that was actually helpful...

This conversation gets as stupid and all together out of control just as much as the UO is dying conversations that pop up every 2 or 3 months/weeks...

100% Agree with your sentiments here. I wished all UO players shared your perspective.

It undeniably doesn’t affect any other players in any other way when they are able to use and redeem Veteran Rewards.

Not only is it not enough for older Veterans to have 2,3,4 times the number of Veteran Rewards as other players they want them to be exclusive.

No items in Ultima Online should be exclusive to some players and not others. Making items exclusive to some players and not available to others only creates dissension and a feeling of unfairness and unbalancing.

The reward and incentive for having your account age and remain active should be you have MORE CHOICES as a result, nothing else. It shouldn't be rewards are made exclusive or that new players have to wait to the year 2028 in order to use those rewards in which case UO may not even be around and some players may not even be alive.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dec 27, 2004
And here you are trolling yet again. Yes they are penalized because the craptastic account management debacle won't let them get their account back and they have to start all over where they can't use anything anymore... IF you knew anything you'd know that especially if you have friends trying to return and becoming highly frustrated. But I'm guessing with your charm and attitude you probably don't have to many of those.

You are still spoiled whinny crybabies if you think you have to keep everything to yourselves you'll soon find no one playing with you. And it won't matter in the slightest because there won't be a UO.
Sorry to cut your drama short but 95% of the returning players get right back in the game.

A few people do have legit issues but they usually get resolved fairly quickly. I know this for a fact as I have had many friends return over the past couple years. Do a search on this very board if you don't believe me. You will see many posts from new players asking how to get around these days.

How did these players get back in the game? I guess they made it through the account management system you love to get so dramatic about. Or am I wrong? Did these returning players get back on their old accounts some other way lol?

The account management system sucks but if you are patient and have half a brain *coughs* you can navigate it fairly easily.

Bottom line though is that your rant still doesn't change the fact that the players you referenced earlier quit on their own. They quit the game darling. They are no factor at all when it comes to discussing vet rewards. Rewards are not given for quitting.

If I didn't have 3 children of my own this would be quite frustrating to explain to you but I am used to it by now :)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 24, 2008
Lincoln, Nebraska
The reward and incentive for having your account age and remain active should be you have MORE CHOICES as a result, nothing else. It shouldn't be rewards are made exclusive or that new players have to wait to the year 2028 in order to use those rewards in which case UO may not even be around and some players may not even be alive.

Spot on there.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
May 12, 2008
I agree.

Sargon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Mar 11, 2004
I think there was a fairly civil discussion going on here until you resorted to your rant full of name calling and profanity. Let me clarify that I was not whining about these changes at all. In fact, if you read the original post in this thread I stated "While this might be a good thing for me, I can't imagine that it is the effect they were looking for."

My post was simply coming from the perspective of believing this change to rewards is not wise from a business standpoint. There are multiple others who have replied with similar sentiments to mine, stating that accumulating account age was was a significant, if not the primary, reason for keeping their accounts open during inactive times. Those people who feel similarly are now less likely to continue paying for accounts. That is fine if those lost accounts are being replaced with new players. Nobody will argue that we don't need new players, but I would argue that this particular change to veteran rewards does nothing to attract new players to the game.

I go back to the basic question "What is the purpose of veteran rewards?". In my opinion, it is to ensure the continued subscriptions of as many of your paying customers as possible. To try to make the rewards out to be a deterrent to new players is a bit of a stretch.

The discussion always seems to come back to shard transfer shields, so it appears the heart of the issue was not the reward system itself but the fact that a very powerful reward was only attainable by very old accounts. Perhaps a suitable compromise is to make transfer shields claimable at 1 year and maintain the exclusivity of the other cosmetic or less impactful items.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Aug 21, 2000
Great Lakes
uorpc.net
I think there was a fairly civil discussion going on here until you resorted to your rant full of name calling and profanity. Let me clarify that I was not whining about these changes at all. In fact, if you read the original post in this thread I stated "While this might be a good thing for me, I can't imagine that it is the effect they were looking for."
Your right it was Civil until Goldberg-Chessy ran off at the mouth against me on numerous threads. And honestly I'm sick of the Troll. So sorry but it's not directed at you.

Sorry to cut your drama short but 95% of the returning players get right back in the game.
No they don't... Infact I know of over a dozen who gave up after trying for 3 or 4 months or more to get their accounts back or reactivated... But were given the run around by EA... repeatedly. Infact I actually had to go to EA and follow all their stupid live chat help to get them to call me just so I could tell them to call someone else who couldn't even get into the chat system...

And most people haven't bothered to try past the first initial frustrating BS with the Account Management System... after 2 or 3 hours they said "Forget this!" And said it's easier to play any other game on the market than to try to return to UO.

So don't tell me what you obviously don't know. Since I know of at least a dozen or more who did attempt to come back ..... and trust me I heard plenty of ranting over it..... and tried to pass this on to get it fixed but was told there is "nothing wrong" with the system... Which is BS.

So again.... your lack of knowing what you are talking about is showing. I am willing to bet that there are at least a dozen or more here on the forums who know at least 2 or 3 or more people who also quit in frustration over the Account Management Mismanagement. But that's not the point and this is derailing this nice thread so... zip it. I've finished wasting my time on you.

Last edited:

Lord Lew

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 7, 2008
Look this is simple, if you're a new account, you cannot fathom what it means to dedicate 15 years to the game. You don't understand the magnitude of the changes that a vet has to have endured through this time, so you lack understanding.

That said, yes there are some items that could be moved to a claim only, used by anyone list, but where will it end? The Devs have already given in and relaxed some vet rewards but yet you still complain. And complain, some of you will, until the day they relent and make it so a new account can cross shard with a shield. Lets face it, that's what's important to you, not the ethereal mounts or the dye tubs. Hell, if you can't find a vet willing to dye an item for you, then you don't understand what the creator if this game envisioned, go back to your x-box.

UO is a community sandbox, and as such has a variety of sized kids. Either learn how to play in the sandbox, or simply go dig in a corner by yourself. If you can't dig on your own, and can't play well with others, then please leave our sandbox.

Thank you,
Lord Lew

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 24, 2008
Lincoln, Nebraska
Look this is simple, if you're a new account, you cannot fathom what it means to dedicate 15 years to the game. You don't understand the magnitude of the changes that a vet has to have endured through this time, so you lack understanding.
Well, I would guess that the main people who want picks to be universal are probably people who have multiple accounts, some of which are old, and some of which are not, and want to be able to use any items they want with any of their characters. I really doubt NEW players would think about it one way or another.

That said, yes there are some items that could be moved to a claim only, used by anyone list, but where will it end? The Devs have already given in and relaxed some vet rewards but yet you still complain. And complain, some of you will, until the day they relent and make it so a new account can cross shard with a shield. Lets face it, that's what's important to you, not the ethereal mounts or the dye tubs. Hell, if you can't find a vet willing to dye an item for you, then you don't understand what the creator if this game envisioned, go back to your x-box.
Except I think the people who are unhappy about this are the actual minority, not the people who asked for it... which honestly I can't even recall ever seeing. As for this game being not what the creator envisioned... we have been far afield of that since tram came out, and allowing MORE freedom in player interaction is not away from that vision, its toward it. Having vet rewards in the first place was contrary to that vision.

UO is a community sandbox, and as such has a variety of sized kids. Either learn how to play in the sandbox, or simply go dig in a corner by yourself. If you can't dig on your own, and can't play well with others, then please leave our sandbox.
How is wanting people to be able to do anything they want with their vet reward, rather than preventing them to do so, somehow playing poorly with others.

If all the vets are really upset about this (which they aren't) then the solution is simple. Don't sell anyone your items. No one would sell them, and no younger players would have them.

The only people who are upset about this change are people who kept unplayed accounts active (at least partially) to get vet rewards, and they are upset that their "investment" has lost value, not about the health of the game. But the loss isn't even tangible, its a loss of status, not of wealth, as you will now have a much greater ability to sell your picks for gold.

Last edited:

virtualhabitat

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jan 24, 2011
Atlantic
Well, I would guess that the main people who want picks to be universal are probably people who have multiple accounts, some of which are old, and some of which are not, and want to be able to use any items they want with any of their characters. I really doubt NEW players would think about it one way or another.
Not really singling you out Uvtha, just using your response to Lord Lew as a jumping off point...

As a person with newer accounts (two accounts both under three years), I thought of it this way:

It seemed kind of crappy that everyone had 20 more skill points than I did. Look at all of the skill guides and virtually ALL of them assume you are working with 720 points. This has changed, but it was worth noting.

I couldn't quite understand the argument that if ethys had no value (tactical or practical) why not let first years use them.

I felt the use restrictions were applied randomly. Example: Davey's locker is an 8 year reward, but anyone can use it. The seed box is a four year reward, but no one under four years can use it.

Many older rewards are wasted and considered worthless. Example: I have a chest full of various vet reward robes I have picked up on the ground at luna bank. Discarded as TRASH. I can't wear most of them. Give one good reason a newbie shouldn't be able to pick up TRASH from the bank and use it.

Many rewards have been and are used by players in such a way to promote a public service, such as dying tubs. Tell me, what status does it give a person knowing younger players can't use a rune book dying tub? No one can see your rune books except you. Any dying tub, really, what is the rational for restricting the use of dying tubs? It's easier to buy a gun in New York City than using a dying tub in UO. Ridiculous.

House ad ons. Who really cares if a first year wants to buy a hanging skeleton (4th year) for her house? Really?

House teleporters are 12th year, but I haven't heard a single vet complain that anyone can use them. Why is that?

The truth is we are really talking about a few select items certain vets don't want others to have access to. Shard shields, certain ethy mounts, maybe a couple others. The rest I doubt anyone could give a crap about.

Galluccio

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 3, 2009
If this change is made, I will pack up my house and cancel immediately. The rewards are the only reason why I've kept my account open while I wasn't playing.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2008
Except I think the people who are unhappy about this are the actual minority, not the people who asked for it... which honestly I can't even recall ever seeing. As for this game being not what the creator envisioned... we have been far afield of that since tram came out, and allowing MORE freedom in player interaction is not away from that vision, its toward it. Having vet rewards in the first place was contrary to that vision.
Whether someone is unhappy about a change or not, there is still no reason for keeping inactive accounts open to age them. Once you remove the age requirement, you remove the unique and special property of that item. It's just a pretty rare.

It really doesn't matter how many players close accounts when they're not used, it is already reducing the money that EA get. As more people learn about the change, some more will do what I do - pay when I plan to play regularly and close accounts when they won't be used much. Alternate between multiple accounts rather than have them all open at the same time. And without good advertising to bring in new customers, I think it's unfortunate if the most loyal veterans start to pull back their game support.

The only people who are upset about this change are people who kept unplayed accounts active (at least partially) to get vet rewards, and they are upset that their "investment" has lost value, not about the health of the game. But the loss isn't even tangible, its a loss of status, not of wealth, as you will now have a much greater ability to sell your picks for gold.
Some of us are not in UO worrying about our investments or status. We just liked having items like ethys that meant you were a certain age to use them. It was a nice little symbol. Take that away and I'm not that interested in the reward attached to it. In my case, if I was thinking "crap, I didn't get time to play UO this month," then I'd be thinking "well, at least it counts towards my rewards." Now those rewards appeal to me less, I watch my due dates and close accounts I won't use.

Selling rewards? Certainly not after seeing the attitudes towards the older vets in threads like this lol. The devs might say "yes" but the vets don't have to ;)

Wenchy

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 24, 2008
Lincoln, Nebraska
Whether someone is unhappy about a change or not, there is still no reason for keeping inactive accounts open to age them. Once you remove the age requirement, you remove the unique and special property of that item. It's just a pretty rare.
I personally think being a pretty rare is more than valuable enough. Thats just me of course.

It really doesn't matter how many players close accounts when they're not used, it is already reducing the money that EA get. As more people learn about the change, some more will do what I do - pay when I plan to play regularly and close accounts when they won't be used much. Alternate between multiple accounts rather than have them all open at the same time. And without good advertising to bring in new customers, I think it's unfortunate if the most loyal veterans start to pull back their game support.
Well I think my point was that game changes should be focused on PLAYING not NON-PLAYING customers regardless if they are paying or not. Obviously they don't want to lose any customers but if they have to make a choice about design it should be to favor the people who actually play regularly.
Also personally I think the number of people keeping accounts active ONLY to collect vet rewards is probably pretty low (I assume most inactive paid accounts are house holders), and either way those people are STILL being rewarded for that time. No one else is getting these items. The only way they will get into the hands of people not of selecting age is if someone pick one and CHOOSES to sell it.
Generally I think people pick vet rewards they want to use themselves, but I would prefer that I could pick something and give it to one of my other accounts, or give it to a friend, or sell it.
I like the idea of people having that freedom, and to me that is much more valuable than maintaining status symbols.

Some of us are not in UO worrying about our investments or status. We just liked having items like ethys that meant you were a certain age to use them. It was a nice little symbol. Take that away and I'm not that interested in the reward attached to it. In my case, if I was thinking "crap, I didn't get time to play UO this month," then I'd be thinking "well, at least it counts towards my rewards." Now those rewards appeal to me less, I watch my due dates and close accounts I won't use.
They will still be status symbols. There will be the same amount of these items as there are now. So if they denote status now, they will still hold that status. There may be an odd person who is of a lower account age riding one, but there is really zero way to know if they "earned" it or not.

Selling rewards? Certainly not after seeing the attitudes towards the older vets in threads like this lol. The devs might say "yes" but the vets don't have to ;)

What attitudes toward older vets? I am an older vet. I've been playing since 98 and I always though vet rewards, especially account age required ones were a bad idea. If you don't wanna sell um, don't. Just know that if you need some money some time and you don't mind using a pick or you found some mounts in an IDOC or something, you can make some scratch.

Honestly I think this is all a lot of fuss over nothing. I doubt it will have any noticeable effect.

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 24, 2008
Lincoln, Nebraska
Not really singling you out Uvtha, just using your response to Lord Lew as a jumping off point...

As a person with newer accounts (two accounts both under three years), I thought of it this way:

It seemed kind of crappy that everyone had 20 more skill points than I did. Look at all of the skill guides and virtually ALL of them assume you are working with 720 points. This has changed, but it was worth noting.

I couldn't quite understand the argument that if ethys had no value (tactical or practical) why not let first years use them.

I felt the use restrictions were applied randomly. Example: Davey's locker is an 8 year reward, but anyone can use it. The seed box is a four year reward, but no one under four years can use it.

Many older rewards are wasted and considered worthless. Example: I have a chest full of various vet reward robes I have picked up on the ground at luna bank. Discarded as TRASH. I can't wear most of them. Give one good reason a newbie shouldn't be able to pick up TRASH from the bank and use it.

Many rewards have been and are used by players in such a way to promote a public service, such as dying tubs. Tell me, what status does it give a person knowing younger players can't use a rune book dying tub? No one can see your rune books except you. Any dying tub, really, what is the rational for restricting the use of dying tubs? It's easier to buy a gun in New York City than using a dying tub in UO. Ridiculous.

House ad ons. Who really cares if a first year wants to buy a hanging skeleton (4th year) for her house? Really?

House teleporters are 12th year, but I haven't heard a single vet complain that anyone can use them. Why is that?

The truth is we are really talking about a few select items certain vets don't want others to have access to. Shard shields, certain ethy mounts, maybe a couple others. The rest I doubt anyone could give a crap about.

All good points. Especially the fact that many current high end picks are already usable by anyone, and no one cares. Also I am much more opposed to the actual functional things, like shard shields and skill points, than the decorative.

But as you say I think a lot of cosmetic things are just rotting because they aren't allowed to be taken by or given away to just anyone.

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 19, 2008
If I had to choose between keeping inactive players just paying or new people paying and playing.. I think you can guess. Its nice to be able to use your vet rewards on your younger accounts. Its sad to explain for a new guy that falls in love with an ethy or Davies Locker that they cant have them for ages. Even if it doesnt make them quit on the spot.. its something negative and dissapointing. We dont need things telling newcomers they can never be like us and have what we have.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2008
I personally think being a pretty rare is more than valuable enough. Thats just me of course.
Some of us like different things. We already have pretty rare mounts and clothing. Many of them are more attractive than the reward ones. Many non-rare alternatives are more useful and easier to replace. So while you might like the pretty rare bit, I will miss the bit that I preferred - the account age requirement.

Well I think my point was that game changes should be focused on PLAYING not NON-PLAYING customers regardless if they are paying or not. Obviously they don't want to lose any customers but if they have to make a choice about design it should be to favor the people who actually play regularly.
We are paying customers - how often I subscribe doesn't mean I do it for nothing :) Also, just because a player is playing less for a while, doesn't mean they won't return to full-time subscribing. RL circumstances change, games improve and hook players again. EA need to ensure they keep players hooked whether they're casual or not. Especially when they are just not advertising the game to bring new folk in.

They will still be status symbols. There will be the same amount of these items as there are now. So if they denote status now, they will still hold that status. There may be an odd person who is of a lower account age riding one, but there is really zero way to know if they "earned" it or not.
As I said before, pretty rare isn't something that would appeal to me with so many alternatives. I'm not into "status symbol" I just liked showing account age. I couldn't care less if others had bought their accounts. It was just a nice thing to show your account was a certain age.

What attitudes toward older vets? I am an older vet. I've been playing since 98 and I always though vet rewards, especially account age required ones were a bad idea. If you don't wanna sell um, don't. Just know that if you need some money some time and you don't mind using a pick or you found some mounts in an IDOC or something, you can make some scratch.

Honestly I think this is all a lot of fuss over nothing. I doubt it will have any noticeable effect.
I wasn't referring to your attitude personally. More the attitude that seems to creep up from others where a veteran who dislikes these changes is painted as some selfish louse just for agreeing with the original style of vet rewards being age linked.

We just lost a dev and we have no advertising, we've had some game changing publishes recently, more are coming. I don't think that's really an environment where I would like to take big chances. I don't know many veterans who would love these changes if I'm honest. Some will like them, but even seemingly small losses of income can still add together to be larger ones. I hope this is fuss over nothing, but I don't want to be complacent when we could use some more, not fewer paying customers.

Wenchy

Reactions: Acid Rain

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2008
If I had to choose between keeping inactive players just paying or new people paying and playing.. I think you can guess. Its nice to be able to use your vet rewards on your younger accounts. Its sad to explain for a new guy that falls in love with an ethy or Davies Locker that they cant have them for ages. Even if it doesnt make them quit on the spot.. its something negative and dissapointing. We dont need things telling newcomers they can never be like us and have what we have.
Well I did say before that I wanted replicas so folks could enjoy the looks of these items at a younger age. Or take the fancy properties right out of vet rewards entirely and give them to all. This isn't about some of us wanting a super advantage over others, some maybe do, but I certainly don't. I'm not against anyone having the properties of any rewards when they're younger, I disagreed with things like the shields because I just wanted a token of my age, not some special super duper item. It was simply nice to have an age symbol that was different. That was the one thing I liked, and I wish it had been handled differently.

Again, a player who plays less time now, can still change and play regularly later. I come and go depending how RL is, that's true for others too. One type of customer can easily change into another in the right circumstances. They can also be lost in the wrong ones.

Wenchy

Silentfury

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Aug 13, 2012
If this change is made, I will pack up my house and cancel immediately. The rewards are the only reason why I've kept my account open while I wasn't playing.
What good are the Rewards if you DON'T PLAY ?
Why Pack Up the House. If you're not coming back, just GO and let it go IDOC. At least the PEOPLE THAT PLAY will see some use out of it.

I'm so tired of hearing these Whiner's complaining when they Admit Themselves that they Rarely Play. If you don't PLAY, you shouldn't think that your Voice is just as Important as someone who plays and contributes to their Game and Comminuty Daily or Weekly basis. Ultima Online is NOT a Flop-House where you should come and go as you please. This Game is Built on it's Community. Be a part of it and then add your ideas. Just because your Credit Card cleared this Month Does Not automatically mean your opinion is Valid.
Put your Money where your Mouth is...Wanna be Heard ? Than get In Game and Contribute to the Community.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dec 27, 2004
Your right it was Civil until Goldberg-Chessy ran off at the mouth against me on numerous threads. And honestly I'm sick of the Troll. So sorry but it's not directed at you.

No they don't... Infact I know of over a dozen who gave up after trying for 3 or 4 months or more to get their accounts back or reactivated... But were given the run around by EA... repeatedly. Infact I actually had to go to EA and follow all their stupid live chat help to get them to call me just so I could tell them to call someone else who couldn't even get into the chat system...

And most people haven't bothered to try past the first initial frustrating BS with the Account Management System... after 2 or 3 hours they said "Forget this!" And said it's easier to play any other game on the market than to try to return to UO.

So don't tell me what you obviously don't know. Since I know of at least a dozen or more who did attempt to come back ..... and trust me I heard plenty of ranting over it..... and tried to pass this on to get it fixed but was told there is "nothing wrong" with the system... Which is BS.

So again.... your lack of knowing what you are talking about is showing. I am willing to bet that there are at least a dozen or more here on the forums who know at least 2 or 3 or more people who also quit in frustration over the Account Management Mismanagement. But that's not the point and this is derailing this nice thread so... zip it. I've finished wasting my time on you.
Wtf are you talking about?

You used the term "whinny ass little crybabies" in your first post in this thread. Not because I trolled you.

You didn't like what I said in other threads so you came here and referred to the pro vet reward posters as crybabies? Because of me lol?

You clearly directed your rant at multiple people by using the word crybabies. Last time I checked that is plural, not singular.

You got called out by Sargon for not being civil and now you are lying about what you said. Pathetic.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dec 27, 2004
Huh?

Newcomers also do not have a Luna shop or billions of gold like I do because I have played hard for 15 years. Should I be worried that this will make them sad and they may quit?

Complete nonsense.

Nobody is telling anybody what they can or cannot have.
Everything I have is obtainable over time. And if you think that you may not have enough time or that the game may not be around in 14 years well then you can certainly just buy an aged account if the rewards are consuming you that much.

It is just that simple.

Last edited:

Galluccio

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 3, 2009
There has got to be a middle ground here. If there's a veteran reward which people view as being "functional" then sure let anyone be able to use it. If there's just a reward that's just "bling" and doesn't impact the game in any meaningful way I would say let those MOST LOYAL customers use those items.

What I'm seeing here is this "You have something that I can't use and I want it."

GOD FORBID. YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO USE EVERYTHING IN A GAME. LET THE WORLD STOP NOW. OMG.

Last edited:

Galluccio

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 3, 2009
If someone asked me if being a loyal customer all these years was a mistake (in light of the upcoming changes), I would say yes. But, there's a way I can end that now--by not being a loyal customer. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Last edited:

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 26, 2004
I get the impression I'm in a pretty small minority who have paid for and played the game for almost 14 years just because it's fun, and the 'gifts' were a nice but mainly irrelevant thing that happened along the way.... :(

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2008
SoCal.
I am still failing to see the issue here. They are not becoming less rare as one still has to be of the proper account age to claim them, so obviously there will not be any sort of influx. The only way for anyone on a younger account to obtain them is if they are sold.

Veritas et Sapientia

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Jun 6, 2013
If someone asked me if being a loyal customer all these years was a mistake (in light of the upcoming changes), I would say yes. But, there's a way I can end that now--by not being a loyal customer. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

You received 2 more choices every year for your loyalty.

A 12 Year Veteran has 6 more choices than a 9 Year Veteran.

That's not reward enough?:rolleyes:

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2008
SoCal.
You received 2 more choices every year for your loyalty.

A 12 Year Veteran has 6 more choices than a 9 Year Veteran.

That's not reward enough?:rolleyes:
And a further bonus is being able to pick rewards that fewer people can claim. :danceb:

Last edited:

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 20, 2006
Does anyone remember the opening of the Dev announcement for the Rewards addition to UO?
I do.
Rewards was for PAYING for the game and PLAYING the game.. counted in monthly payments for said account.

Most of the nay sayers here have skipped to the I want rather then I earned.

I have paid every month (there was 1 or 2 months I had to stop due to unforeseen financial difficulties) on my master accounts.
And yes I have bounced around some house accounts here and there over the years when it was needed.
I had made an account for play one time that I did become quite frustrated with... advanced character token's used and all... I forgot one thing... it was a new account.
I did for a time hate the fact it was too young to use a dye tub... even the black tub was beyond her use till I found out the "old tubs" were useable.
So you see I do understand the need for some items for use by any age.
Basic ethys, tubs, deco items... use only, but not received as their reward.
With age comes reward.

Accounts that are paid every month are due a reward in my book.
Period.
I don't care that you want it or think your due just for sheets and giggles.... Did you pay and play for all that time?
The person your chiding for their age and reward level did pay, and I do hope they played...

Sorry I never went in for rewarding children for loosing a game the same as if they won the world series... it gives them a faulty attitude of self worth.
This would be the same thing.
Earn the reward to get the reward. Shard shields, Davies lockers, Seed boxes.. and the rest are age bound for a reason..
That account that has it EARNED it.
Don't give me double talk about how you think your entitled to having it just because you feel its unfair...
Let's compare apples here.
ok an account from day 1 has paid : $2194.88 roughly
now that newer account that is say 7 or 8 years old : $1247.04 rough estimate based on 8 years paid in.
(I based the 1st on 192 months with 100 months @ 9.99, and 92 months @ 12.99... 2nd on 12.99 for 96 months)
This math is just for show and might not be very accurate in the division of monthly cost... but you get the drift.

Is it fair that the second player account get the same reward as the first?
Not in my books.
Sorry kids... this one is not by fairness of want or need, but one of customer loyalty based on the accounts payment record/time in game.
If someone just paid for the months to go by with out use of said account that's their business and loss... but they paid for that time and there fore are entitled to that reward.
The person who has joined in and worked in game but has played on and off with wide stretches of years in between is not in my books entitled to the same even if the 2 accounts are created on the same day.

I had started to think that if the count for rewards went by the accounts creation date not the months paid would it be more to everyone's liking as many accounts that were sold but used now as storage accounts for housing...and bounced on and off for saving of money etc... was it fair.....
NO
its not.. and I am sorry for this answer.
Think of it as a job... is it fair if this was the case?
When you put it into this picture you will understand why I say no.

Reactions: Olahorand

Veritas et Sapientia

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Jun 6, 2013
@MalagAste Add me to the list of players who was unable to re-active their original account dating back to 1997 which had 5 year status.

And a further bonus is being able to pick rewards that fewer people can claim. :danceb:

I’m on the complete other side of the spectrum.

I take issue with being limited to my Veteran Reward choices. My current account is at 7 year status and my original UO account which I was unable to re-activate from 1997 was at 5 year status.

In “my mind” I’m a 12 Year Veteran of UO and as such I should be able to select any reward that I want.

Having to wait 10-15 years to access certain rewards is ludicrous to me. My choices are already limited by the number of picks I have; don't limit me even further by making me wait years and years to choose the reward I want.

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 24, 2008
Lincoln, Nebraska
Some of us like different things. We already have pretty rare mounts and clothing. Many of them are more attractive than the reward ones. Many non-rare alternatives are more useful and easier to replace. So while you might like the pretty rare bit, I will miss the bit that I preferred - the account age requirement.
Fair enough, but to me honestly nothing has really changed. The items you pick you picked because you account was a certain age. The fact that someone else could use it if they wanted doesn't really change that fact.

We are paying customers - how often I subscribe doesn't mean I do it for nothing :) Also, just because a player is playing less for a while, doesn't mean they won't return to full-time subscribing. RL circumstances change, games improve and hook players again. EA need to ensure they keep players hooked whether they're casual or not. Especially when they are just not advertising the game to bring new folk in.
While I think this topic is extremely overblown, I agree to a point. I think casual players DO need to be considered in design concepts, but people who haven't played in years and only pay for the their account so they can collect valuables... these people should not be considered in my opinion, as they are not actual players and that is who was primarily complaining here. I have long periods of inactivity, and I don't expect that my desires, which are generally locked in the period I stopped playing, should be as important as people who play every day, or every weekend. Again, that's just me.

As I said before, pretty rare isn't something that would appeal to me with so many alternatives. I'm not into "status symbol" I just liked showing account age. I couldn't care less if others had bought their accounts. It was just a nice thing to show your account was a certain age.
So its not a status symbol, just a symbol of the status of your account. :p I understand how you feel really, I guess I just don't understand why its so important.

I wasn't referring to your attitude personally. More the attitude that seems to creep up from others where a veteran who dislikes these changes is painted as some selfish louse just for agreeing with the original style of vet rewards being age linked.
Well some of the clearly by definition were being selfish. They didn't want other people to be able to do what they want with their vet rewards because it made them feel that they were losing out. They would prevent untold others from doing as they wish in order to maintain their wealth/status. Really the kicker is that these people don't even play, thats what made me get involved in this.

We just lost a dev and we have no advertising, we've had some game changing publishes recently, more are coming. I don't think that's really an environment where I would like to take big chances. I don't know many veterans who would love these changes if I'm honest. Some will like them, but even seemingly small losses of income can still add together to be larger ones. I hope this is fuss over nothing, but I don't want to be complacent when we could use some more, not fewer paying customers.
I just don't think this is a big chance. Most people seem to be happy with this idea, and I have a strong feeling, that like many thing people get up in arms about, once it's implemented it will be forgotten in a month or two.

I get people like to feel special, and honestly the mounts and robes can keep their requirements (though I would prefer that it was all open), but anything with a non cosmetic benefit should be tradable and useable by anyone in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viper09 and BeaIank

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 24, 2008
Lincoln, Nebraska
Does anyone remember the opening of the Dev announcement for the Rewards addition to UO?
I do.
Rewards was for PAYING for the game and PLAYING the game.. counted in monthly payments for said account.

Most of the nay sayers here have skipped to the I want rather then I earned.

I have paid every month (there was 1 or 2 months I had to stop due to unforeseen financial difficulties) on my master accounts.
And yes I have bounced around some house accounts here and there over the years when it was needed.
I had made an account for play one time that I did become quite frustrated with... advanced character token's used and all... I forgot one thing... it was a new account.
I did for a time hate the fact it was too young to use a dye tub... even the black tub was beyond her use till I found out the "old tubs" were useable.
So you see I do understand the need for some items for use by any age.
Basic ethys, tubs, deco items... use only, but not received as their reward.
With age comes reward.

Accounts that are paid every month are due a reward in my book.
Period.
I don't care that you want it or think your due just for sheets and giggles.... Did you pay and play for all that time?
The person your chiding for their age and reward level did pay, and I do hope they played...

Sorry I never went in for rewarding children for loosing a game the same as if they won the world series... it gives them a faulty attitude of self worth

This would be the same thing.
Earn the reward to get the reward. Shard shields, Davies lockers, Seed boxes.. and the rest are age bound for a reason..
That account that has it EARNED it.
Don't give me double talk about how you think your entitled to having it just because you feel its unfair...
Let's compare apples here.
ok an account from day 1 has paid : $2194.88 roughly
now that newer account that is say 7 or 8 years old : $1247.04 rough estimate based on 8 years paid in.
(I based the 1st on 192 months with 100 months @ 9.99, and 92 months @ 12.99... 2nd on 12.99 for 96 months)
This math is just for show and might not be very accurate in the division of monthly cost... but you get the drift.

Is it fair that the second player account get the same reward as the first?
Not in my books.
Sorry kids... this one is not by fairness of want or need, but one of customer loyalty based on the accounts payment record/time in game.
If someone just paid for the months to go by with out use of said account that's their business and loss... but they paid for that time and there fore are entitled to that reward.
The person who has joined in and worked in game but has played on and off with wide stretches of years in between is not in my books entitled to the same even if the 2 accounts are created on the same day.

I had started to think that if the count for rewards went by the accounts creation date not the months paid would it be more to everyone's liking as many accounts that were sold but used now as storage accounts for housing...and bounced on and off for saving of money etc... was it fair.....
NO
its not.. and I am sorry for this answer.
Think of it as a job... is it fair if this was the case?
When you put it into this picture you will understand why I say no.

Paid for and "earned", especially in this context are different in my eyes, and i've paid that money too.

And again... no one is taking these items away from you and giving them to someone else. It will be exactly like it is now, unless you choose to make it otherwise.

I personally fail to see how you would be practically (not philosophically) damaged by a 8 year old account using a davy jones locker. The item was "earned" by the person who picked it, and they then had the liberty to do with it what they wanted. What they wanted was to sell it, or give it away to a younger age player. In practical terms I see this as only a good thing. The vet has expanded choice, the younger player has new goals to strive for, and the economy of these items expands dramatically.

As for giving people a "faulty attitude of self worth", I personally don't think the worth of a person is a result of their accrued "accomplishments". But thats just me.

Last edited:

Lord Lew

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 7, 2008
Ahh the entitlement minded... The problem therein is that they can never get enough.. The Devs have already adjusted the system to allow for a year old account to ride an ethy, they created upper level items that can be used by lower account aged players, they recently made the skill cap 720 across the board. But yet again, here we are arguing about vet rewards. Once they open up all rewards, the next cry will be how unfair it is that older accounts get two choices to their one. And finally the cry to allow for a purchase of years to add account age... Ahh entitlements, they make my mind spin.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2004
Awards
if I'm not here I'm there
I used to have strong opinions on vet rewards being for vets only. I guess through the years I've lightened up a bit. I admittedly didn't read all the posts. Figured I'd just throw in my worthless 2 cents.
Caring about what other people get, have, or can use in this game gets tiresome. After 16 years I really don't care anymore who does what. I do understand the POV of people who care and think it's a vet reward for vets to use, but really over time I think they too will come to realize it really doesn't matter who has what. You still get to collect, and if desired sell, the rewards. If you are getting a 15th year reward (or two actually) you're still one of the few who can provide these items to the market. Consider yourself special in that way. You are needed to provide these items since only a 15 year vet can obtain them.
Maybe this way of thinking will put a positive spin on the "anyone can use" idea.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2008
Fair enough, but to me honestly nothing has really changed. The items you pick you picked because you account was a certain age. The fact that someone else could use it if they wanted doesn't really change that fact.

Ok, to you it is still as good but to me it isn't. I don't want to just look like some rich kid who bought a high end ethy, that's the exact thing that would make me avoid those mounts. There is no way to tell the real vet from the younger player who bought said ethy. If showing your age was the cool thing you liked about something and that gets removed, it's not so good for you.
So its not a status symbol, just a symbol of the status of your account. :p I understand how you feel really, I guess I just don't understand why its so important.
It's not a huge big deal, but cumulatively along with the other recent stuff I think it adds up to quite a few less satisfied customers. And I am concerned about others cutting back on those in-between months because it's uncertain who will come along and replace that money. A little loss here and there adds up. I am a miserly Scot if that makes it more obvious why I'm concerned :D

Well some of the clearly by definition were being selfish. They didn't want other people to be able to do what they want with their vet rewards because it made them feel that they were losing out. They would prevent untold others from doing as they wish in order to maintain their wealth/status. Really the kicker is that these people don't even play, thats what made me get involved in this.
I just don't think this is a big chance. Most people seem to be happy with this idea, and I have a strong feeling, that like many thing people get up in arms about, once it's implemented it will be forgotten in a month or two.

Oh I agree there is some selfishness, but there is some on both sides. The "I want what you have" is a little selfish too. I'm not really in among the rich vets in UO, more the skint old gits heh. I tend to take the view that ex players don't always stay that way because I've been at the point of quitting and then totally hooked upteen times now. I just don't feel one state is a perma thing. So when I think someone is writing off an "ex" subscriber I think of my fella who came back after years and played more than me. He's still hoping for a cool boost for tinkering and asking about it. If the right things are in game, the suckers we are... people get sucked back in again lol.

I get people like to feel special, and honestly the mounts and robes can keep their requirements (though I would prefer that it was all open), but anything with a non cosmetic benefit should be tradable and useable by anyone in my opinion.
Totally agree the non cosmetic things were a bad idea for the vets, we went from nice thank you gifts to crazy. Any cool looking item would be fine at the different levels, but certain properties... eesh :( They kinda helped kick this whole change off IMHO.

Wenchy

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sep 25, 2004
*wades back into the muck*

Just a couple thoughts on some of the comments.

1) From a business perspective - players who keep accounts active (regardless of active play) are contributing to the game by keeping it financially viable. If not for these part-time/semi-active/inactive players it's possible the game might not be making enough money to survive.

2) People who actively play the game (regardless of account age) are providing an environment and helping to ensure more players don't quit and shards don't get shut-down. So cheers to all the active players that keep the shards alive....just don't dismiss the players that kept the lights on while you were off spending your time and money on another game.

3) Vet Rewards for returning players. It's always great to have players come back and try again, but you're telling me, that these players should be entitled to pick up where they left off - not sure I agree with that. EA decided years ago that continued payment was worthy of a special exclusive reward. Coupled with player housing, this was a very smart business decision as it provided an incentive to keep your account active even when you weren't playing.

4) Making Vet rewards useable by everyone will have an impact. Watch the "vendor search sites" suddenly start duping these items because there is a larger customer base for them now. They will get less rare and they will lose their value (both in terms of gold and as status symbols).

5) Saying younger players are at a disadvantage implies that pixels confer an advantage. Shard shields seem to be the most contentious and once again this argument over vet rewards seems to be turning into an argument over shard shields. Personally I think transfer tokens (vet reward or otherwise) were a horrible mistake but that's for another thread. As for things like dye tubs and davy jones lockers, blah blah blah, these are nice things that are not necessary to playing the game, but I'm all for letting everyone use all dye tubs but I see no reason why everyone needs acccess to every type of ethereal mount. Functionally they're all the same so there is no advantage/disadvantage argument here. And for the record, I'm soon to be a 16th year Vet and my main character rides a Charger of the Fallen.

6) And lastly and many of us have said this...are you seriously claiming that a Vet Reward change will suddenly result in a huge influx of new and returning players?!

Vet Player: So Newbie, how are you liking your first month of UO?
Newbie: I love it but hey, yesterday I saw someone riding a polar bear. I want one
Vet Player: Sorry, you're not old enough to ride one
Newbie: Screw that...I'm going back to WoW.

That's happening? Seriously?! If it is Idoubt that player is going to be around for the long term even with the change. What happens when they see someone's rare museum?! Gonna throw a fit cause they're at a disadvantage because they lack those pixels?! Maybe EA should add that next to the Origin Store...pay $10 and get a token to instantly be given a house full of server birth rares and event items! It's only fair!

I guess in 10 years the SoTA forum will be filled with players complaining that the kickstarters had an unfair advantage in that. game...can't wait for that thread - see you all there!

:twak:

Reactions: Olahorand

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 24, 2008
Lincoln, Nebraska
Oh I agree there is some selfishness, but there is some on both sides. The "I want what you have" is a little selfish too. I'm not really in among the rich vets in UO, more the skint old gits heh. I tend to take the view that ex players don't always stay that way because I've been at the point of quitting and then totally hooked upteen times now. I just don't feel one state is a perma thing. So when I think someone is writing off an "ex" subscriber I think of my fella who came back after years and played more than me. He's still hoping for a cool boost for tinkering and asking about it. If the right things are in game, the suckers we are... people get sucked back in again lol.

I mean I agree there is potential selfishness on both sides, but only one side was really on display here. I don't think that people who want the picks to be universal are really people asking for something someone else has. I think they are mainly people who have multiple accounts of different ages, or people like one of the above posters who have bugged account ages. I really don't recall ever hearing an actually young person asking for universal access. It probably happened, but it's certainly not a common request.

Also I think the issue of people who "bought" their privilege to use vet rewards already happens, because people can just buy a 15 year old account, even though they have been activly playing the game for only a few years.

This stuff is why I never liked tiered vet rewards in the first place. It only serves to cause problems.

Reactions: Viper09

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 24, 2008
Lincoln, Nebraska
5) Saying younger players are at a disadvantage implies that pixels confer an advantage. Shard shields seem to be the most contentious and once again this argument over vet rewards seems to be turning into an argument over shard shields. Personally I think transfer tokens (vet reward or otherwise) were a horrible mistake but that's for another thread. As for things like dye tubs and davy jones lockers, blah blah blah, these are nice things that are not necessary to playing the game, but I'm all for letting everyone use all dye tubs but I see no reason why everyone needs acccess to every type of ethereal mount. Functionally they're all the same so there is no advantage/disadvantage argument here. And for the record, I'm soon to be a 16th year Vet and my main character rides a Charger of the Fallen.

While I don't think seed boxes and the map holder type items are really advantageous in any way I also think these are items with VERY high functionality and very high demand because of the way the game has been designed. I thought it was a terrible idea to have these kind of items in the vet reward system, as players of all years all have the same storage issues with these items. I mean what if bod books were a vet reward?

These kind of items need to be universal since they were already foolishly put into the vet reward system. They should have just been either for sale in the item shop or *gasp* part of an expansion or some other actual content addition.

Reactions: Viper09

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2008
SoCal.
While I don't think seed boxes and the map holder type items are really advantageous in any way I also think these are items with VERY high functionality and very high demand because of the way the game has been designed. I thought it was a terrible idea to have these kind of items in the vet reward system, as players of all years all have the same storage issues with these items. I mean what if bod books were a vet reward?

These kind of items need to be universal since they were already foolishly put into the vet reward system. They should have just been either for sale in the item shop or *gasp* part of an expansion or some other actual content addition.
Sort of like the teleportation tiles that they thankfully added to the store.

When we get down to it, their mistake was adding more and more tiers, all the way up to 15+ levels, resulting in making it impossible for several players from ever getting a chance at obtaining some rewards. Ideally there should only be 3-5 levels, and those who have played so long would simply benefit from getting more picks.

Last edited:

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2008
SoCal.
Could you explain how it is "impossible" for them to get the reward?
Unless you're going to convince me that UO is going to be around for another 10 to 15 years so younger plays can achieve that vet reward level status, it should be pretty dang obvious. That is, unless, they are able to purchase and use those items from other older vets who want to sell them.

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 10, 2006
A forest west of Minoc (Felucca)
Unless you're going to convince me that UO is going to be around for another 10 to 15 years so younger plays can achieve that vet reward level status, it should be pretty dang obvious. That is, unless, they are able to purchase and use those items from other older vets who want to sell them.
So then it is not "impossible" at all.

Younger accounts would just have to put in the same time and monetary investment that older accounts have, in order to access those items.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2008
SoCal.
So then it is not "impossible" at all.

Younger accounts would just have to put in the same time and monetary investment that older accounts have, in order to access those items.
Not if the game closes down before they hit that year, which was his point.
Uvtha nailed my point very well. You (Arroth) may have a lot more faith in the amount of life left in UO than I, but I highly doubt that this game will last that long.

Last edited: