(OT) Image Creation Software

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
V

Vaelix

Out of the multiple things i'm currently teaching myself, One that I will need eventually is an Understanding of Image Creation / Ect. (Im going from a Game Development Standpoint)

Basically im using a program 3DS Max (3d Studio Max) And when creating, well, anything, I need to apply Bitmap(s) to the Object which will be used as Texture and Detail. (A Repeating Tiled Floor as an Example)

Does anyone have experience with Any form of 3d Graphics/Animation/Editing in any field which would relate and have some advice on this?

V

Vaelix

I've heard good things from both Wings 3D and Blender, Any Experience or Preference?

**Outside of Cost as that is not a restriction**

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 23, 2007
Skara Brae
www.raptor85.com
Not an artist myself, a programmer... that forum is a great place to ask for opinions on specific tools though, check the art section, there's some AMAZING artists there. (and very centered on game development, so all very relevant to what you're asking)

But...I have toyed with them, and from a technical standpoint Blender is a more complete, far more capable tool than wings. (at least from what I've seen, as said though I'm no artist)

V

Vaelix

Not an artist myself, a programmer... that forum is a great place to ask for opinions on specific tools though, check the art section, there's some AMAZING artists there. (and very centered on game development, so all very relevant to what you're asking)

But...I have toyed with them, and from a technical standpoint Blender is a more complete, far more capable tool than wings. (at least from what I've seen, as said though I'm no artist)
What compiler do you Like and C / ++ / # / Java / .NET?

Also thanks for the Forum link, I'll be using the Hell outa that Forum now.

nightstalker22

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mar 13, 2007
Siege Perilous
www.unnaturalnature.com
Tiling images is quite easy if you know this trick.

Suppose you want to use a real life texture from a digital camera.
Take a picture of a wall texture, or ground, etc...

Now, how do you tile it to make it fit together on repeats?

First, find a suitable section of the picture that you would want to reuse over and over. Avoid too many unique characteristics, so you dont have them repeating too often.

Next, you'll select half of the picture area and drag it to the opposite side of the work area, then grab the other half and move it to its opposite side. What you just did was to ensure that the pattern will match up perfectly when repeating. Now, what you have in the center of the image is the part that would have normally been on the two opposite ends of the image, and correcting it would prove difficult. Simply use paint shop pro, photo shop, or whatever have you, to blend, blur, push, or whatever to blend the two pieces together for a smooth image that tiles perfectly repeat the process up and down for floor tiles.

nightstalker22

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mar 13, 2007
Siege Perilous
www.unnaturalnature.com
nice trick but how about the left to right?
Repeat the process in that direction.

You can use left to right for walls, and left to right and top to bottom for floors and spheres.

I have quite a few models I have made in Milkshape 3D if anyone is interested I can upload to my server.
Here is the first model I made with the program:

http://www.unnaturalnature.com/NightstalkersTruck.ms3d

Based on my 1974 Dodge D-100 I had at the time. It is animated with functional doors and wheels that turn, can be used in a GTA type game.

Milkshape is a nice low polygon model maker, but pretty primitive compared to most programs. You can save in many formats and import from them as well, but it seems it isnt very backwards compatible still, as my textures and model pieces dont translate well ( multiple pieces are welded into one so any moving parts and animations are lost).

nightstalker22

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mar 13, 2007
Siege Perilous
www.unnaturalnature.com
Out of the multiple things i'm currently teaching myself, One that I will need eventually is an Understanding of Image Creation / Ect. (Im going from a Game Development Standpoint)

Basically im using a program 3DS Max (3d Studio Max) And when creating, well, anything, I need to apply Bitmap(s) to the Object which will be used as Texture and Detail. (A Repeating Tiled Floor as an Example)

Does anyone have experience with Any form of 3d Graphics/Animation/Editing in any field which would relate and have some advice on this?
From a game design standpoint, look into tile based games. Ultima Online is tile based in isometric view, and side scroller platforms like Mario Brothers are too. The trick is to load only the map area that is currently being used, so you dont bog down the system and steal all the RAM.

You will notice if you run south in Ultima, you can see black in the lower left corner as the map pieces are loading, and the map to your north is being unloaded.

Here is a very useful site:

Tile based games

It is for flash based games, but the principles are the same no matter which environment you develop in.

Ultima uses 3D models of characters and monsters, then poses them in various poses to make a simple 2D sprite out of them. If they ever decided to go the true 3D route ( like Darkfall ), they could reuse their monsters already created.

V

Vaelix

Actually I just picked up Game Maker as well (Was focusing solely on 3D with UDK) seems like the perfect "Beginnner/Intermediate" Program/software for exactly this kinda thing.