• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I'm getting tired of the beggars

• Thread starter TKSpeedy1
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
T

TKSpeedy1

I had a newbie in my store today 8 days old...She begged me to GIVE her a dog. Went on and on. Even said that when she got money, she'd pay me back. I tried to be nice to her and told her that there were places that sell really cheap pets. When I told her that, she said "Leave me alone!" and left in a huff. I wanted to say "Um..sorry honey, but YOU came to MY store, not the other way around.", but I didn't. I don't understand why all the newbies can't get the fact that we're all broke, stores can't give stuff for free, and that we're not being mean when we say we can't help them out? If I could've helped the woman out, I would've.

M

MysticNyte

I've been a newbie in lots of games...first thing i do is try and find a way to make money....

I rem in Ultima...lots of players standing at the banks begging for money....k the time they stood there and begged they prob could of been out making money ..to have money like i had...

The point is..they don't want to work for it...they would rather beg for it....

Your in u'r store...that u worked for...to make money

They don't respect that...and they don't want to work

Giving u 2 examples :
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
My RL Stepdaughter...

She was excited to play Ultima with my rl daughter and myself...
K as in most games..u'r gonna need money...
Online games always offer a variety of ways to make money...
Knowing how lazy my stepdaughter is...i said...ok lets go pick cotton for money

K picking cotton is a matter of clicking a button to pick it up..after u get enough u go to the merchant and sell it..for pretty good money...very very easy

After 10 mins of picking cotton..she logged off....
When i asked her why she logged..she said..well that is just to hard..I don't want to work in a game.

Does she play online games...no...because she needs to work in some form to make money...

Does she work in RL...rarely
------------------------------------------------------------------------
My RL Daughter.....

Loves to work in RL and in online games...is usually a rich lady cause she loves to work at everything the game offers....

She loves to play online games...and always has alot to show for her efforts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
So even if u give the player that doesn't like to work or want to work ..all they ask for...once they can't beg for it to get it..chances are good in my oppion they would quit the game anyway...so u worked to give them something they won't appreciate anyway

P

Paula778

I usually send them to test center 3, where they can make money and everything.

It is surprising how many don't know about that. They seem to be very happy for that information, yell *thaaanks* and poof lol

G

I have like 3 houses for sale and i had this one girl that came to all three and begged me for like 45 min each house to sell her the house for $100 i was like come on girl i don't want to hurt you feelings but dang i can't even buy a lot of land with,lol

G

<blockquote><hr>

It is surprising how many don't know about that. They seem to be very happy for that information, yell *thaaanks* and poof lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like money traders could make a continental killing off of free players that way, since they can make their money in TC3, and then have it traded to EA Land for the 10% fee. EA will probably put a stop to that once cash-out is on the table, but for now that's a perfectly legitimate way that free players could have the money in EA Land to get stuff like pets and be able to tip at houses and get rid of the image that some premium players have of them being freeloaders.

T

TKSpeedy1

Funny thing is this person also is a roomie at a store.

G

Now, what I am about to say is not directed at all newbies. When they see something, like a robo dog per se, they want it. What they don't realize is that you worked long and hard to get that robo dog. What they don't understand is the months and maybe years you put into getting the money/pet pulls to get that rare pet.

They come here and see all these amazing houses with all this stuff and think we have so much that we can just give them stuff. I have heard this story many times on here. They beg, we say no, they get upset and storm off. It is an endless cycle that will never end. Person A that we turn down today may learn... but Person B is right around the corner who will do the same thing tomorrow.

Y

YellowRose5819

I think they should make the welcome lots money insted of skill becouse whats gonna make a free player a paying player MONEY thats just my opinion

D

DGLita

The problem with the internet is that you dont know when you are dealing with children or dealing with adults.

A child would say 'Leave me alone' if they couldnt get their own way. They dont reason, they just keep repeating the same thing to get their own way. And children can come out with some pretty foul language too when they are hiding behind a online persona.

How would you deal with this in real life, if a child came up and said Leave me alone, if you wouldnt give into them, you would probably just shrug it off, and thats what you have to do in the game.

Dont let the little kids wind you up

T

TKSpeedy1

That may be true in most cases, but this woman said she wanted a pet for her kids, who also play the game.

G

If that happened to me in real life? I would find the child's parent and prolly smack them in the back of the head and say "Teach your little brat some respect!" lol

I

imported_Gracie Nito

Responding to a beggar is playing their game. You have a choice to play the game with them or put them on ignore. It's really quite simple. Sometimes I'll play the game with them, other times I'm just not in the mood for it. However, I always play the game I choose.

J

jhayann1

I have a welcome lot, so most of what I deal with are newbies (ousually free players).

If I get some who do nothing but grope &amp; ask others to cyber, I tell them to visit a romance lot &amp; kick em out. If they come back &amp; behave, great. If not, they get banned from my lot &amp; can bother someone else. LOL

We haven't gotten any beggars, but then again, I have a sign that says "NO Beggars, no solicitors, no cybering... ATTACK dogs on the premises." Newbies don't know what kind of damage (if any) it would do to have a dog attack them, so maybe that's the only deterrent I need? LOL

G

<blockquote><hr>

Now, what I am about to say is not directed at all newbies. When they see something, like a robo dog per se, they want it. What they don't realize is that you worked long and hard to get that robo dog. What they don't understand is the months and maybe years you put into getting the money/pet pulls to get that rare pet.

They come here and see all these amazing houses with all this stuff and think we have so much that we can just give them stuff. I have heard this story many times on here. They beg, we say no, they get upset and storm off. It is an endless cycle that will never end. Person A that we turn down today may learn... but Person B is right around the corner who will do the same thing tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the robo dogs I've seen though haven't been gotten through months and years of working in the game though, they were gotten with exploit money that was spent doing pet pulls in the last few weeks before the production cities were shut down. Robo dogs are ultra rares and too expensive to just give away, but if pet pulling was still an option I wouldn't mind at all seeing affies and cheetahs made virtually non-rare and being given to some of those newbies so that they can feel like they have something 'rare' in the game. Not to mention it would be an excellent drain on the economy which would in turn raise the payouts across the board.

I

imported_remflyer

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes please tell them that the streets are paved with gold in TC3 and they will be rolling in dough in no time if they would just go there!

T

TKSpeedy1

<blockquote><hr>

If that happened to me in real life? I would find the child's parent and prolly smack them in the back of the head and say "Teach your little brat some respect!" lol

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Me, too!

P

Paula778

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like money traders could make a continental killing off of free players that way, since they can make their money in TC3, and then have it traded to EA Land for the 10% fee. EA will probably put a stop to that once cash-out is on the table, but for now that's a perfectly legitimate way that free players could have the money in EA Land to get stuff like pets and be able to tip at houses and get rid of the image that some premium players have of them being freeloaders.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would subscribers want more money in TC3 and less in EA-Land?

G

<blockquote><hr>

That may be true in most cases, but this woman said she wanted a pet for her kids, who also play the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a singular, non-rare pet? I guess its strange but if I had other pets on the lot so I could get a discount on it, and it was just her and she wasn't the 10th person that day or something, I might have actually given it to her, especially if I had a pet store and had an overabundance of a particular breed. OR in the alternative I would do what I've done with newbies in TC3.....if they ask for money or something I'll bargain with them to encourage them to skill....something like "Tell ya what, if you'll go and get X number of skill points in one skill, I'll help you out". The moochers will tell you to go to hell because they want something for nothing, but the ones that are genuinely just looking for a helping hand will be more than happy to bookmark you and come back when they've met the terms of the agreement.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would subscribers want more money in TC3 and less in EA-Land?

[/ QUOTE ]

They wouldn't, but they can make money doing trades in both directions, and as subscribers they can make money on the jobs (since they do work in EAL but not in TC3) or on money lots. Free players can't visit money lots in EA Land.

T

TKSpeedy1

<blockquote><hr>

Just get a mean dog and tell them to pet him... lmao

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm..thanks for the suggestion.
I can always get a mean pet, give it to the one begging and tell them not to open it till they get to their lot. Oh, yeah, and no returns.

T

TKSpeedy1

Yeah, I might have given her a pet if I had more than two...and if I had a cheap non-rare one. But I don't, which is what I told the woman. Like I said, if I could've helped her out, I would've. But my place is only a store to get rid of some stuff so I can make money to work on my house.

Oh, and btw, this person is now banned.

G

Hell, let me look through my pet supply. I may have a mean pet that I can give you. Just promise me I can be there next time when they open it... lmao. But you have to give the dog a name like "Mr. Snuggles" or something like that.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Just a singular, non-rare pet? I guess its strange but if I had other pets on the lot so I could get a discount on it, and it was just her and she wasn't the 10th person that day or something, I might have actually given it to her, especially if I had a pet store and had an overabundance of a particular breed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just an FYI, but pet crates in EA-L from the catalog are §99,999 (last I looked).

I don't believe that anyone is going to be 'giving away' even non-rare pets for a while.

@ the thread subject:

Beggars were common during the haydays of TSO, too.....it seems to come with the territory of an increased population. Also, the description of Free Player accounts practically instructs them to beg off of Premium players, by suggesting that we will 'give' them money.
I do wish they would re-word that....

G

Holy crap. I never knew the wording was like that. There is no way I will just give my money to someone who begs for it. I don't know anyone in the game that would do this. I am thinking of working a welcome lot and we talked about giving the free accounts chores around the house. For each chore they do, they will get X amount of money. I figure it might work out to be cheaper than a Maid and our place will always be clean... lol

Can you say slavery is alive and well in EAL? lol

T

TKSpeedy1

Thanks Duncan! PM me when you find one or IM me in EALand under Mistress Scarlet.

T

TKSpeedy1

Oh, yeah...they definitely need to re-word that. I'm with Duncan. No way will I just give my money/items to beggars. Begging just isn't polite, and I can't believe EA would condone that or actually tell them to.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Just a singular, non-rare pet? I guess its strange but if I had other pets on the lot so I could get a discount on it, and it was just her and she wasn't the 10th person that day or something, I might have actually given it to her, especially if I had a pet store and had an overabundance of a particular breed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just an FYI, but pet crates in EA-L from the catalog are §99,999 (last I looked).

I don't believe that anyone is going to be 'giving away' even non-rare pets for a while.

@ the thread subject:

Beggars were common during the haydays of TSO, too.....it seems to come with the territory of an increased population. Also, the description of Free Player accounts practically instructs them to beg off of Premium players, by suggesting that we will 'give' them money.
I do wish they would re-word that....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but if they had an abundance of pets that they merged over, then those pets wouldn't be $99k, and if they were overabundanced they wouldn't be ones that had to be replaced at catalog prices.

As for the description, I think the devs thought both the premium players would be more willing to be charitable, and that the free players wouldn't take begging to the extreme that some do.....but that's not *just* the free players. I've met some lazy premium players too that didn't want to 'work for peanuts' but yet didn't want to come off the RL money to hit the ATM either. The problem is more prevalent amongst the free players, but not exclusive, unfortunately.

Personally I'd like to see things come together in the middle more.....players more charitable toward free players, and free players more willing to do things to help themselves when it is suggested. A problem exists on both sides, from my point of view and its going to take a general change in attitude from all involved to totally fix it.

G

Absolutely. My name in game is DJ Duncan MacCloud. I will be in game later and I think I have a spare dog and/or cat. Not sure if they are mean or not though. We will test this later though.

B

brendagfrie

The begging is terribly getting out of hand and I think I may have had the same person in my store...was asking me for money to buy a pet. I think if the free players can't go to the money houses and make money then maybe you shouldn't let them in the stores either. I know they can get money from the atms but they would rather try to badger you into giving them stuff that you worked hard to get. I have made it my policy, albeit kind of mean, to immediately boot anyone that asks for money or something for free...I dont' ban unless they come back and try the same thing. EA really needs to get a handle on these freeloaders, they are not only extremely annoying but they send you negative actions and get in your way if you are cooking or teaching.

G

Ok. I have an idea I want to try out. If there are any store owners who have a spare roomie slot, let me know. If anyone comes in asking for a money, I will trade and give them $1 simolean. This way when they start to complain, then we can boot and ban since they never actually said how much they were begging for... lmao.

G

I send them to the ATM.

I do tire of the ones who beg to be a roomie. Parizad taught me to say "No", I like that, works wonders. Thanks Pari.

G

FWIW, begging in EA-Land is nothing new. There have been beggars in TSO/EAL since the game first began. And they're not unique to TSO/EAL either. These guys remind me so much of the twinks running around in EverQuest.

G

<blockquote><hr>

FWIW, begging in EA-Land is nothing new. There have been beggars in TSO/EAL since the game first began. And they're not unique to TSO/EAL either. These guys remind me so much of the twinks running around in EverQuest.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped running my money lot because beggars irritated me. Well that and the fact that I realize i really don't like mass amounts of people, their actions make me feel suicidal and hopeless. But begging is not limited to just these free accounts, or just EA - Land like you said.

G

I simply tell the beggar this.... "I don't see the name EA-Land Bank above my head or anyone else's". This usually shuts them up.

Come on people...you beg for money, say you will pay it back and we ALL know you don't have any intentions of ever paying it back.

Do like the rest of us are doing... WORK FOR IT!!!!

L

luvibunni

Being a residence I have been getting all kinds of new and 'different' people coming in. Most of it is amusing and I just laugh it off. I have had a few people who will not give up on asking for things or a place to room. I tell them to go to the salvation army next door. lol

Also, for those people needing places to stay, on my spare time I went and hunted down the one place I have found on here that is a roomate agency. I asked the owner if I could refer people to her and she said no problem. =)

So roomie thing taken care of.. now I'm thinking of stocking up on cheap cheap 1 dollar items and when they ask for stuff, give them that. An apple.. something .lol

BabiDoll~

G

<blockquote><hr>

now I'm thinking of stocking up on cheap cheap 1 dollar items and when they ask for stuff, give them that. An apple.. something .lol

BabiDoll~

[/ QUOTE ]

There are still $1 items to be found?

G

<blockquote><hr>

I simply tell the beggar this.... "I don't see the name EA-Land Bank above my head or anyone else's". This usually shuts them up.

Come on people...you beg for money, say you will pay it back and we ALL know you don't have any intentions of ever paying it back.

Do like the rest of us are doing... WORK FOR IT!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooh once long ago, when I had my money lot, and people would beg for money. I would tell them that there was a super secret sim bank of TC and that they could get in if they did certain things. This would go on for weeks, they'd come back and say what next, and I'd give them some silly task like "make 30 gnomes and gname them gned, gnancy etc" Or work on your body til you get benchpress and benchpress every sim with blonde long hair in a lot. and they would. It entertained me for a few weeks on and off... but that was it.

After a while that died down, but about two years later, some random mofo I never met came and was asking me about the super secret sim bank of TC

I was like "o".

/random story for no good reason other than I await my lunch.

G

<blockquote><hr>

She begged me to GIVE her a dog

[/ QUOTE ]
If you were a real stranger to her in a store in a real life situation, she would not have done that. Someone would have scolded her by 13. Which is the age limit for this game. After playing for five years, I have encountered a lot of this. Try to keep in mind that this is a "Be Somebody Else" game, and it isn't personal. It's not about you. Don't take it personal. Perhaps seek out someone to make a sign, or make one yourself, that refers to NO BEGGING ALLOWED. Guide them on how they can make the money to buy one, and feel the reward of working for something you want. Because to me, that is the real idea behind the games creation.

When my daughter played with me 5 years ago, she role played a horrible person. She would flippantly say to me, "Mom, I am being someone else." Everyone has a role to play in this game, and sometimes it feels like being mean, but no it's just reality in virtuality. It's the opportunity to learn without doing any real harm.

Hope this helps

J

jhayann1

<blockquote><hr>

I would tell them that there was a super secret sim bank of TC and that they could get in if they did certain things. This would go on for weeks, they'd come back and say what next, and I'd give them some silly task like "make 30 gnomes and gname them gned, gnancy etc" Or work on your body til you get benchpress and benchpress every sim with blonde long hair in a lot. and they would. It entertained me for a few weeks on and off... but that was it.

After a while that died down, but about two years later, some random mofo I never met came and was asking me about the super secret sim bank of TC

I was like "o".

/random story for no good reason other than I await my lunch.

[/ QUOTE ]

oOOh! Ohh! Who all is in favor of starting a rumor for beggars to the effect of...
There is some super-secret cheat to making oodles of money, by telling the beggar that they are supposed to find a welcome lot like mine *we're poor* and clean only the white toilets, then say in public while on the lot, "Mother May I please hit the Motherlode Rosebud?"

Or something outlandish yet still believable...? LOL

This way, my broke aiz won't have to pay the maid and it keeps the beggar out of your hair while they keep my lot nice and clean. We ALL benefit! Except the beggar, of course... Well, technically, they should learn a lesson at that point but, they may not see that lesson as a benefit.