• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I'm Back After A Long Time Away...

M

Moreeg

I decided to do the 14 day trial and give UO a try after being away.

I was in the end of the beta test, and then played in public release on Catskills till... jeez, I want to say 2003? I think Blackthorns Revenge was the expansion I left on.

Anyway, I didnt even try to get my old account, but in seeing that people have, maybe I'll give it a try when I get home later? I wouldnt even have guessed it might still be sitting there after all these years?!?!

Things on the shard seem slow, and in reading a few posts I can see that a lot has changed. When I left, bank sitting in Britain was the thing to do and the place to be, but it sounds like people are in Luna now?

Also, do the old add ons still get used? I tried to get UO Map to work, and couldnt get it to sync. Other than that I think I used UO Assist, but I havent had a chance to check that out yet. Am I very out of touch with add ons?

It feels good to be back, though Im having to relearn how to do EVERYTHING! I forgot how I enjoyed skill based gains as opposed to just levelling a character and I really missed shopping at player owned vendors. Its really a couple of aspects of UO that made it so unique.

Ive switched my main for my alt, but in those days I had Hakai Suru as my main and Moreeg as my armorer alt, but over the years the Moreeg name has become my main, so for the trial Ive used Moreeg for my first character. If anyone remembers me (I actually cant remember the name of the guild I was in???), drop a line! It seems like the overall server population is way down, but I hope that doesnt mean UO's life is limited... I was really hoping to settle back in here again.

C

Callie

Welcome back after your absence. It seems you are not alone in those returning to the game after trying the grasses in other pastures for a while.

Luna or New Haven are the places you will find most folks these days. And it might be worth trying to find your old account information. Several folks returning recently wish they hadn't given all their stuff away "never to return again...."

If you need gear, come by haven and we'll get you set up.

M

Moreeg

Thanks!
I was glad to be back, and on my first day back, I was given a bunch of stuff by... I think it was Dr. Who, including an axe that I am in no danger of outgrowing any time soon! I forgot what a great community UO has!

Im so excited to see if my old account is still there! But even if it isnt, I feel excited about being back... seeing all the sights has felt like coming home after being gone for so long.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome back, If there's anything you need, don't hesitate to ask. I've always said that Catskills was one of the most generous & helpful shards out there.

J

jelinidas

Welcome Home!
As others have said, if ya need anything just shout! We'll hook ya up!

M

Moreeg

Thanks again to everyone.
My name/password didnt work, but Im seeing if support can do anything for me. In all seriousness, my real name (which the account is under) is the only one of that name in the entire country, lol. So Im hoping that between that and the info I have for the account, that maybe they can do something for me. We'll see.

I had some good stuff in my bank... a bit of gold, runebooks to all the cities and my favorite hot spots, and who knows what else?

I didnt give anything away when I left, because someone ganked me with an exploit and I died and was so disgusted that I logged off then and there and quit. Its sad when I think about it now :(

Keep your fingers crossed for me!!

Phaen Grey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hope it works out for you, if not there are plenty of us who can get you up and running, just say the word. Its good to know folks continue to find there way back to UO.

M

Mark Knotts

About UOAM - It doesn't sync anymore unless you're running UO Assist along with it. Even if you're not registered with UO Assist, if you run it alongside UOAM it should sync up and show your position while you move around. There's a little message on the window of UOAM when it starts up saying this. :)

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good luck with your account. Hopefully they'll be able to find the info you need. I'm betting you've probably got a couple items in your bank box that were nothing special back when you quit, but are worth something now.

*wishes he still had his colored hair dye bottles from back in the day*

Yeah, UOAM isn't updated anymore, but it still works with UOA. It's pretty much useless in the newer ML areas, but in the legacy dungeons & landmasses, Tokuno, Ilsh & Malas it works for the most part.

M

Moreeg

Funny you say that Black Sun... Im pretty sure I had a color hair dye bottle, a couple of "blank tiles" if anyone remembers those... and sadly, probably a ton of rares that died in my small tower when it eventually decayed.

Whats the housing situation these days? When I left you were lucky if you could scrape up a small spot ANYWHERE in the world! I managed to place a small tower on the westernmost edge of Buccaneers Den. I loved it! I havent made it over there to see whats there now... but I was hopign to place a small tower somewhere or something.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't checked to see if it's still open in a few days, but I know of a spot where a villa used to stand. I'll check it out for you when I get home.

As for the colored hair dye bottles, I had a bunch in the bank, and figured who the heck would buy hair dye? So I used them not thinking about it. After I had used about 7 of the 10 or so I had someone mentioned to me that they were rare. I about fainted. I did manage to sell the few I had left for about 3 mil or so, and that was back when 3 mil was a decent sum of money.

C

Callie

Well, when you get back in or with your current trial, let us know what we can do to help you. Several folks have spots they have "eyed" for house placement they'd be happy to share with you, and we can get you hooked up with some decent armor to get you started off on the right foot.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail Moreeg! Welcome back!

I returned to Britannia almost a year ago, after 6 years of absence. I had forgotten many things, had to relearn crafting, had no clue about the changes in armor and weapon properties, didn't know about all the new skills, and was fascinated by the customizable houses. It took me half a year to figure out most of the changes, and I didn't regret my return.

I just have one advise: Don't let yourself get pulled into the item/artifact madness. Enjoy the game for what it is, take it easy on items. If your skills are balanced and you learned to efficiently use the controls again, you'll be able to do most of the things with normal equipment.

Unfortunately I don't remember your name, although we were pretty active back in the Early Days. If you want to, you can join us on our adventure Stranded, where we will explore the dungeons starting with only clothes and a NPC weapon, working ourselves up to decent equipment by gathering monster loot.

M

Moreeg

WOOHOO!

Well, heres the scoop, obviously good news from the woo-hoo, but its not a bad story anyway!

I couldnt for the life of me remember my password for my old account, and the forgotten password feature wouldnt help because the original account, from way back then was through the address I had in Michigan and the email address was my ISP then. I moved to Florida and still played UO and had all my info changed to my Florida address and the email address changed to my emaill address through my ISP there. I dont have access to either!

I just spent about a half hour on the phone with EA suppport talking to a guy and finally convinced him of who I was and could provide enough information to prove my identity to him... like I said, I am the only one in the country with this first and last name, and he changed the email address on the old account and sent me my password!!!

Im so happy right now!!

btw, when I saw the password, I said "Oh yeah!" lol :D

C

Callie

Well, a big WOOHOO to you, then. Come visit Haven and introduce yourself when you get a chance.

M

Moreeg

ARGH!

The account "birthdate" and such are there, but it says no characters are found on the shard :(
My brother tried with his and it says the same thing... thats a let down.

Oh well, I'll just have to start over.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Even with no characters you should have a nice head start when it comes to collecting vet rewards. I think accounts of a certain age are credited with extra time, or a few extra picks or something.

C

Callie

Offer still stands...if you need something come and ask. :D
And if you don't know what you need, come and ask that too!

M

Moreeg

DOUBLE ARGH! But in a good way...

I was wrong, theyre all there!

I still only have around 80,000 gold, but I had some stuff in my bank box that I had forgot about. Like commodity deeds for stuff, a bag of sending, some Magical Moonfire Brew (which I dont even remember the point of) weapons, armor... and when I went to the stable, my horse was there, my pack llama and a golem! lol!

M

Moreeg

But you know what? In my excitement, I havent taken the time to really thank everyone for the offers of help!! I appreciate it more than I can say!

As soon as Im settled in, I'll stop over and say Hi to everyone!

M

Moreeg

Could someone refresh my memory?

Horse barding. Is it player craftable? If so, is the recepie hard to get?? It turns out that one of my alts is a Grandmaster Blacksmith, and I like the look of the armored horse.

Oh, and the housing thing... there must have been a change somehow at some point, but the place where my small tower was is no longer able to hold a house. But I placed a wokshop right on the road south of Brit, so Im happy...

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
DOUBLE ARGH! But in a good way...

I was wrong, theyre all there!

I still only have around 80,000 gold, but I had some stuff in my bank box that I had forgot about. Like commodity deeds for stuff, a bag of sending, some Magical Moonfire Brew (which I dont even remember the point of) weapons, armor... and when I went to the stable, my horse was there, my pack llama and a golem! lol!
I'm betting that's a pre-patch golem you've got there. That could bring you in a nice little sum if you find the right buyer.

Could someone refresh my memory?

Horse barding. Is it player craftable? If so, is the recepie hard to get?? It turns out that one of my alts is a Grandmaster Blacksmith, and I like the look of the armored horse.

Oh, and the housing thing... there must have been a change somehow at some point, but the place where my small tower was is no longer able to hold a house. But I placed a wokshop right on the road south of Brit, so Im happy...
Horse barding is just a hose deco, if you're thinking of the horse's that look like the one in my avatar, that's a charger of the fallen. It's like an etheral mount, only differance is the look of it, and when you're fighting it does a little kick move (but doesn't do any damage).

M

Moreeg

Yes on both accounts. That would be a pre-patch golem, and I was thinking of the horse in your avatar... I also saw some last night that look like they have... geez, how do I describe it... like knights horses would be dressed for a ceremony? They were draped with white(ish) cloth with color trim. If that makes sense.

Is the Charger of the Fallen statue just a house decoration, or is that used to summon the charger?

Sorry for all the questions. Websites seems to be lacking in good, solid answers.

AnneNomilly

Sage
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Welcome back!

The Charger of the Fallen Statue is used to summon the Charger the same as an ethereal. The difference being any age character can use the Charger instead of waiting for the vet reward ethereals.

As others have said, if there's anything you need to help you get back on your feet, just holler. Even after the Spring Cleaning, I've found I still have loads of stuff and I'd be happy to help you out with anything I can. Especially if it's along the lines of armor or jewelry.

You might also keep an eye out on the boards for the Friday Nite Hunts and various things. It's a great way to meet the folks on Catskills and explore different places and learn about new areas. :)

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I also saw some last night that look like they have... geez, how do I describe it... like knights horses would be dressed for a ceremony? They were draped with white(ish) cloth with color trim. If that makes sense.
I don't think I've seen any of these horses in game, so I'm not sure of what you're referring to. It's possible maybe you're describing the charger as it appears in the 2d and KR clients? I know the art is different.

T

Teiwaz

I'm betting that's a pre-patch golem you've got there. That could bring you in a nice little sum if you find the right buyer.

Horse barding is just a hose deco, if you're thinking of the horse's that look like the one in my avatar, that's a charger of the fallen. It's like an etheral mount, only differance is the look of it, and when you're fighting it does a little kick move (but doesn't do any damage).
Does the Golem I made back when they first appeared in an invasion before they and the Juka's took over an existing Dungeon count as a pre-patch made Golem? I only ask as I'm not aware of this patch you refer to?

M

Moreeg

Does the Golem I made back when they first appeared in an invasion before they and the Juka's took over an existing Dungeon count as a pre-patch made Golem? I only ask as I'm not aware of this patch you refer to?
I am being told that you need to lore your Golem, and if it says 100% poison resistant, it is pre-patch.
Im not home to do so, but the Golem is from around late 2002... and I dont remember a patch regarding Golems, so mine might be.
DAMN YOU WORK! I DONT WANT TO BE WITH YOU, I WANT TO BE AT HOME!

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pre-patch golems have 100% poison resistance. I'm not sure which patch did it, but somewhere along the line a patch lowered their poison resist. (not sure exactly how low) The pre-patch ones are more desireable because if you hit them with a 100% poison damage weapon they take no damage, where as ones created today will take very little damage from a 100% poison damage weapon. That way you can train with a pre-patch and not have to worry about accidently killing your golem.

T

Teiwaz

Pre-patch golems have 100% poison resistance. I'm not sure which patch did it, but somewhere along the line a patch lowered their poison resist. (not sure exactly how low) The pre-patch ones are more desireable because if you hit them with a 100% poison damage weapon they take no damage, where as ones created today will take very little damage from a 100% poison damage weapon. That way you can train with a pre-patch and not have to worry about accidently killing your golem.
Sweet! tyvm for that info., looks like I have a pre-patch Golem for sure then hehe, it was the first Golem I ever made and it was while the invasion was going on where you had to figure out a puzzle order to deactivate some device(s) scattered all around the Britain landscape, I made mine off the road leaving Trinsic heading for Britain. :D

M

Moreeg

Sweet! tyvm for that info., looks like I have a pre-patch Golem for sure then hehe, it was the first Golem I ever made and it was while the invasion was going on where you had to figure out a puzzle order to deactivate some device(s) scattered all around the Britain landscape, I made mine off the road leaving Trinsic heading for Britain. :D
Thats right... I did the same thing! I hadnt thought about it till you said that!

M

Moreeg

I don't think I've seen any of these horses in game, so I'm not sure of what you're referring to. It's possible maybe you're describing the charger as it appears in the 2d and KR clients? I know the art is different.
I bet its the KR client. Im still using that as I have yet to buy the ML upgrade!

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can use the 2d client without ML. I prefer to use 2D, because it was enough trouble relearning how to play when I came back, let alone having to relearn a whole new client.