• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(RP) Illness in Vesper

Sennah T' Nae

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
The roleplay story arc continues! It continues with an illness spreading round the city. This roleplay as Dante post that I have the link to below does not have physical enemies like the orc, it will be up to the person to rp how much their character is effected by the plague. For this rp Dante and I will be making specific plague characters, feel free to do so if you would like to make one too.
This can spawn hunts for herbs that people may want to collect in efforts to find the cure. Lets have fun with this!

Link for the story of the plague: http://www.atlanticcommunityboard.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30299

Zynia

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will inform the sisters at the Moonglow Apothecary at once!

T

Tazar

Scripted RP? Thanks - but no thanks... that's just not fun for me... Why not call it acting and go to the Britain or Jhelom Theater?

I prefer spontaneous responses that guide the action so that you don't know where the story leads...

Last edited by a moderator:

Brock

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
It's hardly scripted. There is a plot and this is the beginning. Where it goes from here is up to the people of Vesper. I mean sure, Sennah and I coordinated our actions in making this background for the plot. So in that sense this is scripted RP. But after that its very free form.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
By scripted, I think he meant that it was written and screenshot by a small group to post the story on the forums, not an actual event everyone was invited to and could participate in from the very beginning.

Sennah T' Nae

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
We set up only the very beginning, and if someone had come up to us while we were setting this up we would have role played them into it. This is not a scripted role play in any way, ANYTHING that we have done with the orcs or with this is allowing anyone to be involved at any time. We have not nor will not shut any other roleplay out if someone had come up to us while we were preparing the screenshots. The EVENT is the entire role play since the orcs started to attack back in December that people have been enjoying, that Dante and I have been doing everything we can to keep this as much in public view as possible! When we are doing our screen shots even if a non rper sees us setting up we invite them to join in if they would like to. It is a little bit more difficult to run into someone while sailing, but that doesn't mean it excluded anyone from being involved, that's why all the rp we have been doing is in actual UO cities and not player built towns.

If you are upset that I gave some suggestions about characters to play or the hunt then I will tell you the reason I gave suggestions, it is because there are new rpers out there that are trying to learn how to rp, there are NON rpers that might see that rp is not all about chatting back ad forth to each other in taverns. People can play and act however they want, and if they run into us during the comics that we make we include that into the rp.

Being so quick to shut out a rp just because it has some preparation will only further kill the population of rpers, I'm sorry that I am getting so upset about this, but there is a lot of planning that is put into this, not just about what the basic story is going to be but also trying to think ahead of the possibilities that people can play. Putting this much planning into it is so that we can start something that could be enjoyed by the majority. Most rps have some form of planning and many of those are things that unless you are in that guild, or friends with that circle of people you will have no idea that rp is even happening. To be accused of scripting it and keeping people out of it is insulting when I think back on the time that has been taken to make sure it is open to everyone. Preparation and scripting are as different as the colors red and orange...even though there is some red needed to make orange it is still a completely different color.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
no one said they are trying to shut out your roleplay style...tazar just said he personally doesn't find it fun, and I just stated that it wasn't advertised as an actual event...reading posted stories is fun to, but think of it as a complete new player, or new roleplayer, all they see is screenshot stories involving the same people repeatedly, I've heard from many people, even non roleplayers that this whole forum looks like its run on a "get permission from certain people before you post your story" system...which is clearly not true since anyone can post on stratics, but that's not a good first impression on a prospective roleplayer. you also said anyone that runs into you while your setting up is welcome to join...which is good...but honestly what's the chances of ever running into a person unless the story takes place at a bank. I'm not saying your story is bad in any way, it is extremely well thought out and fun to read, it would just be nice if maybe every one or 2 stories there was an actual in game event organized as well. for example, years ago people would post an advertisement for "orc event taking place next Friday at orc headquarters" and whoever showed up started talking, eventually a spontaneous roleplay story or event was produced, then posted with a written story later for the those who did not come to the event to read and enjoy. just something to think about.

Last edited:

Sennah T' Nae

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
The suggestion of having some advertised events surrounding the rp is a good one, we are trying to avoid planning other events surrounding the rp to keep from running the entire thing in order to keep it as open as possible. I know with the orcs there were hunts set up by other players, this is the type of interactivity I have loved to see and hope to see more of that with this arc.

T

Tazar

It's hardly scripted. There is a plot and this is the beginning. Where it goes from here is up to the people of Vesper. I mean sure, Sennah and I coordinated our actions in making this background for the plot. So in that sense this is scripted RP. But after that its very free form.
When you give instructions on "How to act ill", etc - yes - that is scripted. Actions dictated, etc. Sorry if you didn't like the way I worded things - but as I said... No Thanks - that's not for me.

To be honest - it's the exact reason why I am no longer in the ARPC. On MANY occasions, I was told that "This isn't where we are going with the story", or "You can't know that from the RP so you can't have done that - take it back", etc. In one case my "RP" daughter acted in a way that was taken as an insult by an opposing group and I reacted to defend my daughter (Seems pretty simple to me). I was told that I was wrong because my stance wasn't what happened and that I had to "revise" my statements to fit their needs... Do you really think that a mischievous daughter telling daddy about what happened wouldn't skew the story a little to put her actions in a more favorable light? At that point, after many such instances - I gave up and deleted all interaction on story-lines from the ARPC Forums, packed up, and left the ARPC.

Telling people how to act, react, etc isn't RP - it's Acting a scripted role and honestly it turns off many people.

I also have talked to several people interacting with your group recently - and your style of "dictating" may have good intentions - but it's not coming across that way and is further turning some people off to RP. Keep in mind that it's not what you say... it's not how you say it... it's how people take it that matters. If you really want to see RP grow - I hope you'll listen with an open mind to those who have already been turned off by this.

Judas D'arc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can actually see both sides to this.

Knowing Dante and Sennah as I do, I don't think their intention was to create a scripted scenario where A must lead to B must lead to C in that exact order or else you're ruining it. I think they were simply setting up a plague scenario with various ways to reach the outcome of a cure, where the players involved could dictate the path. I don't think it's necessarily scripted, but the concept requires some controls in place, which is really hard to implement when it's open to everyone, and not everyone reads message boards. Maybe it'd come off better if some of the rules were rephrased, but ultimately it's not much different than an EM event, where a scenario is created and people are expected to react and help dictate the outcome. Just without any EM powers. But we also know that no matter how world-threatening an EM event is, it's not like the shard is actually going to be destroyed or all our precious drops will be rendered useless, and eventually it'll resolve itself.

That being said, I also see where you're coming from, Tazar. Especially with respect to the ARPC, and that whole approach of posting a story-line, dictating all the roles and the outcome, and then asking everyone to help take it from A to B to C in the exact manner dictated. Or the sort of OOC comments telling you that you're wrong or wouldn't know or do this or that. I honestly think that's more symptomatic of a specific type of role-player, one that always needs to win and never wants to be at risk, but then again that's probably also the reason that the role-playing presently taking place on Atlantic has nothing to do with the ARPC. And don't get me wrong, I do have some friends among the ARPC, but as an institution, I'm far from fond of it.

Despite the fact that they have an ARPC board, in my experience Dante and Sennah's guild aren't really like that and don't have any bizarre control-freak agendas and aren't going to flip out on anyone from taking an unwanted step. I think they're genuinely trying to create something that will attract players, and I also think they're reasonable enough to listen to constructive criticism that might win over those with reservations. Maybe people can make some suggestions about what changes they'd like to see in order to be inclined to participate more?

For example, I don't really have a problem with the initial story, since it reads like a prologue/setup thing, but I could see how some of the rules post might rub people the wrong way. Sometimes using the word "can" instead of "should" can go a long way. Also, I can see how Rules #3-5 might do the same. I think #1 could simply read "Please leave the barrels alone as a courtesy to us" and #2 is a good disclaimer, and the symptoms and methods of infection make sense since all stories need some kind of internal logic behind them.

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
EBERYBUDDIES BLAMING DA GOBLINS !!!
WEEE NOS INFECTED
AN WHY PEOPLES PICKIN ON POOR LIL MEZZY?
OZOG