• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

if you like it then you should've put an S on it

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Let's Encrypt - Free SSL/TLS Certificates

There's no reason for stratics not to now.
Well there is, some of the plugins integral to the site simply don't work with SSL, that has been the root cause of why it's been removed when SSL has been tried in the past.

I will say we are looking at alternatives though, and to be honest, with HTTP2 just around the corner, it might be prudent for us to wait anyways.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's no real good reason to bother with encrypting, either

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well, ISPs may soon be injecting adds into websites for you, they'll be unable to inject anything into encrtpted traffic.

Crimson Hawk Moth

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
well, ISPs may soon be injecting adds into websites for you, they'll be unable to inject anything into encrtpted traffic.
Mine already does that. I get nice Adds across the top of statics and any other non secured website. Generally limited to unscheduled down time. DNS High jacking and Injection should be illegal, seriously reminds me of that episode of futurama where fri starts having adds in his dreams until he goes crazy.

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hate websites where I always get the prompt of "do you want to see the unsecured items also"

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
also, Google favours secure sites in its search results.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We're now getting warning messages on browsers. This is the official uoforum, don't you think it's time?

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For a bunch of people who lost their flippin' minds over Punkbuster, you'd think this would be a bigger deal.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've noticed some of the pages are now secure with a cloudflare , but not all, what's going on?
(i'm running with https everywhere app)

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I've noticed some of the pages are now secure with a cloudflare , but not all, what's going on?
(i'm running with https everywhere app)
Depends, if a page contains a link (say in a signature or post) to an unsecured Website or image embedded from one, then it may throw that. Also Cloudflare caches all the pages on the site, if you're looking at older pages, it might be they aren't showing secure because the cached file isn't, and it'll be updated with a new one later.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For a bunch of people who lost their flippin' minds over Punkbuster, you'd think this would be a bigger deal.
What ever happen to Punkbuster being implemented ?

It seems to me that would put an end to the scripting and multi boxing ?

I'm not a computer savvy person but I remember the biggest complaint was them being able to see what all programs you are running? I have nothing to hide don't do anything illegal so woppy go ahead and look. And for those that are worried just use a different computer if you can afford the $300 for a cheap computer to run UO.
Like I said I'm not computer savvy maybe I'm not understanding the full effect of the Punkbuster program.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What happened to punk buster was the tin foil hat brigade went mental at the idea and it was pulled. Turns out paranoia won and cheats run rampant as a result.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah... punk buster died a fast death after it created a gigantic amount of complaints over privacy concerns and data collection etc. A lot of the complaints were here on Stratics at the time.

After seeing the overwhelming amount of people who didn't want it they just canceled it completely.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What happened to punk buster was the tin foil hat brigade went mental at the idea and it was pulled. Turns out paranoia won and cheats run rampant as a result.
Some people didnt want everything on their computer poked and peeked at just because some devs and GMs are too damned lazy to do their jobs.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It was a huge matter of invasion of the PC... most were uncomfortable with the thought of someone snooping about their PC...

However some believe we allow basically a spy device to "track" their day to day information... Alexa, Cortana, Seri, Whatever you want to call it... it is what it is... What do you suppose Amazon, Microsoft, Apple and all them do with those devices??? You think they gather data? Monitor it??? Spy with it??? Never know do you... Just thinking about it. So many things we take for granted... and hackers are everywhere... what do you suppose would happen if they hacked those devices??? Nothing is "safe"... and nothing is free from being hacked.

Think of shows like iRobot and such... and you wonder how far are we from a world where they monitor your every move... Minority Report... If you went back 100 years or 200 years... and explained what you could do today... what do you think those folk would think of how we live today???

Punkbuster was a nice dream when it was brought up but to think it was the "end all" of cheating is fooling yourself.

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We're now getting warning messages on browsers. This is the official uoforum, don't you think it's time?
Are you browsing privately? I only get that when I am in that mode.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Gidge - Firefox delivers that message if an option for malware check is turned on. I've gotten it a lot with newer releases.

@Mervyn - If you are on Firefox, look in the settings for a shutoff switch. I don't recall exactly where it is and I have since rev-locked my version due to need of Flash support. There was a change to the settings after rev 50-something.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to congratulate the stratics staff for making this site secure.

Commiserations to all those above who disagreed with me for the sake of disagreeing with me.