• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ideas for displaying armor sets?

A

Aang

Does anyone have any good ideas for displaying sets of armor in a private home? Since I've condensed down to one account with grandfathered Felucca housing, I do not have any public homes yet I have different sets of armor I'd like to display. Sadly, I cannot slap up vendors just to play dress up with. Anyone else have a way around this?

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why can oyu not setup vendors? Make house public but allow access to only Owners at the doors then oyu can place your display vendors wherevever you want in the house. They are cheap 10K gold will make them stand there forever.

Other that that making the armor stand is very very difficult.

F

feath

put each set into a box, lock the box down (lock it, not secure it!) and set security to 'anyone'. anyone can open the box and view what is inside, but they can't take anything out.

A

Aang

I've thought of both these ideas but that's it so far. I was hoping I missed something. Thanks for everyone's input though!

D

Dragon Mist

I have had an idea for mannequins. I have brought the idea up a few times but with little support. The idea with just using vendors is fine but if you have 25 of them in a house just for display that does get to be a little expensive. It can also be difficult to get them to turn the correct direction you need them to face to make the scene look good.

The idea would be to:
Make mannequins a craftable item/deed using carpentry & tailoring.
Give them the ability to be dressed like vendors, but no backpack!
Give them the ability to be turned like the character statues.
Give them the ability to be put in different poses like the character statues.

This would allow people to display clothing and armor without having to set up vendors. Additionally it would also give players the ability to setup scenes such as a “guard zone” around a treasure chest or other object in their house. I can see many applications where this would be beneficial for collectors, museums, & RP.

Sorry for the rant by Oriana & I have run into this issue several time as we have worked on our museum. You can’t make it private, do the work, and then open it to the public. I know this is just an idea but if it gets more support maybe it will become a reality.

The best idea to fix your problem Aang would be to set the house to public, set the door to at least friends, and set you vendors. It’s not perfect but if you have doors on your houses it might work.

Just a thought.

C

Calibretto

Should be easy to change it so barkeeps can do this. Just make it so you can access their paperdolls.

N

Ni-

I had this idea a while ago...

Dress Form / Manikin

Creation – Similar requirements to the current Dress Form (Carpentry with some Tailoring?, maybe even some Smithing?).

Art – the piece will either look like an existing Dress Form or featureless NPC(on a base?). With, possibly a male and a female version, since KR has 2 different paper doll poses. May also need race variation to account for Gargoyle figures?

Placement – Most likely would need to be a deed. When placing, a direction choice would allow the user to choose the direction the manikin would face(N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, NW). Dying could work as it does now, dying the item before the initial placement. Re-deeding would not be allowed as long items are present. Either items placed onto the manikin take up storage, in the current house, or placing a manikin takes up a predefined amount of storage(the total amount of item slots?).

Dressing – Adding items to the manikin could work similarly to how dressing vendors work. Security could be set like a container. A beneficial option could be implemented to allow a PC to switch out their current worn items for those of the manikin. This would allow users (RPers in particular) a convenient option to wearing their war suit all the time. A time limit in between switches could be implemented(for if this item could be exploited from excessive switching?). If each item added to the manikin counts towards current storage for the house then switching items out will need to check if there is enough storage available as each item is added to the manikin.

Information – The total of all item properties present could be shown. Either, similar to how item properties show on test center upon mouse over or a ‘Lore’ sheet similar to Animal Lore information sheet. KR has most of the item properties already built into the character sheet, I believe. The item property ‘Mage Armor’ could appear if there are no items that would block meditation with a similar display for Spell Channeling.

Purposes:
- Crafters showing off their skill/wears.
- A convenient change of pace for those that don’t wish to be garbed for war 23/7.
- Total information available for suit builders.
- A convenience for users with multiple characters that use the same suit.
- A new crafting item for ?Carpenters?
- House Decoration.

A

Aang

This sounds like a great idea! It seems like it would take so little to implement and would be very beneficial to a great deal of UO subs. I wonder how to push this as an idea to the devs?

N

Ni-

This sounds like a great idea! It seems like it would take so little to implement and would be very beneficial to a great deal of UO subs. I wonder how to push this as an idea to the devs?
If you are talking about my post, I'm not sure if I ever sent the idea in. I'm not even sure how one would submit an idea. I posted this a couple times on the old forums when there was an Idea Den, and once in the new UHall, but that was quickly lost in the banning posts of late. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be open to them!

If you were not talking about my post... then... you see nothing above!
:loser: (me!)

K

Kratos Aurion

There are ways of displaying armor pieces on dress forms. There is one listed in the above thread

http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=21337/

-The picture is a few scrolls down from the top, and passed the midway point I posted directions on how to make it.

There is also other examples at Castles And Courtyards in the Misc. Section tagged as Standing Armor

http://www.castlesandcourtyards.com/

The downside is the displays are limited to certain armor pieces.