• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Chivalry] Idea for New Ability

Padre Dante

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Note: This isn't meant to be a complaint, as much as it is a fun idea.

Just having chivalry and necromancy on the same template seems ironic and wrong (from a R/P perspective!). Plus, having 1 skill for the sake of casting a spell once per death seems...wasteful. Therefore, I think it would be interesting to see the following new ability added to chivalry:

Name Absorb Evil
Power Words Absorb Malas
Mana Cost 15
Minimum Skill 85
Tithing Points 15
Duration 60-120s
Area of Effect Caster
Description
Casting this spell allows the paladin to absorb life from evil creatures based on damage dealt (5-15% life drain - based on skill + karma)). However, the caster is then unable to cast Close Wounds and Cleanse By Fire while the ability is active. Also, cannot be cast while in any form (vampiric, lich, etc.).

Pros:
  • potentially replace necromancy/vampiric form from templates and allow for other skills. Also means no more -25% fire resist.
  • Paladins no longer confused by evil vs. good skills (maybe the intensity of vampiric embrace could be negative karma based, as well?).
  • Comparatively high minimum skill means more investment in Chivalry skill (i.e. more reasons to go to 100 or 120) - plus an ability that could take training higher than current max skill ability (Noble Sacrifice at 65).
  • No additional garlic-based penalties, and can use cure potions
Cons:
  • Warriors are comparatively strong as it is. This could allow for potentially even stronger builds (balancing ideas listed in the next points).
  • Mana based, which warriors already need alot of.
  • Even at max intensity - less life drain (15%) than vampiric embrace (20%).
  • Unlike vampiric embrace, expires after time duration.
  • As stated above - can't cast Close Wounds or Cleanse By Fire while active (or be in a different form).
  • No additional resistance to poison
  • Only good against evil creatures (this would also omit neutral MOBs like Swoop)
Anyway, that's just a thought I had. Good idea? Terrible idea? I have no idea how UO works (plausible!)?

Last edited:

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I probably wouldnt stick a life leech ability on a paladin type skill set. Though following the lines of this idea, I'd probably implement it as a buff effect which reduced damage taken from other sources. The chivalry skill and karma would determine the duration and base factor. (Say 5-20% damage absorbtion, and further modify that by the attackers karma. So the more evil the attacker, the more damage would be absorbed.)

Another interesting idea could be an evil empowerment or consumption type ability. (Some of the denizens of shame have this as an elemental ability). Where while the ability is active, any attacks from an evil source have slightly reduced damage, and cause a temporary damage increase and regeneration buff.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think abilities along those lines hold to Paladins being defenders against evil. They are less susceptible to evil, and are stronger when facing evil, but do not benefit directly from destroying the evil.

Padre Dante

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Logrus! The idea of damage absorbtion is also a good one (reminds me of another idea I would love to see - a "battle horse" of sorts, that acts exactly the same as a swamp dragon - just with a horse hue (since the swamp dragon is, in my opinion, incredibly unappealing in looks)).

Whatever helps keep warriors/paladins balanced, while finding a solid [potential, for those that would want it] replacement for the whole necromancy thing! I mean, how many of us are truly R/Ping an undead paladin who died on an epic chivalric quest - amiright!?