• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Cooking] Idea: Chef's can create dyes....

R

Rocklin

I am sorry if this is an old idea, or perhaps has been pitched before…

Recently I have wanted to acquire dyes to change the color of my items. I understand that the Tokuno dyes are only available (through cash purchase) on Asian shards. This has caused the remaining dyes on all other shards to be inflated to high prices. I am seeing single dyes in the five to eight million range.

Chef’s currently have items at their disposal that when created can assist in adventuring. Although not required, they do help in many instances. I feel that Chef’s could be better utilized to make something everyone would want.

Why not allow Chefs to be able to gather resources and craft dyes?

*Here is how it would work:

As the Chef gains in skill, rarer resources will be able to be acquired to create various colored pigments. Much like Miners and Lumberjacks, the Chef would be able to spot and “pick” choice ingredients. Combined with various other ingredients, the items are made into dyes.

There could be rare items, monster drops, artifact drops and so on that would combine to make the more desirable pigments. In this way the entire player base could be involved in gathering resources and it allows non-combat Chefs to benefit.

The pigments that could be created would be different than the Tokuno colors to keep the Tokuno items prized. Subtle color schemes could be used. For example Luna White in the Tokuno line would be comparable to an eggshell color in the cooking line. A general item, a paint base, could be purchased from cooking vendors.

*Color ideas:
Rough Red – 4 Speckled Mushrooms, one bottle of wine, and one paint base
Eggshell White – 4 Bones, 2 Eggs, one pitcher of milk, and one paint base
Murky Blue – 2 Crystal, one pitcher of milk, and one paint base
Obsidian Black – 1 small black rock, one bottle of ink, and one paint base

So that is my idea. Again I apologize if this has been suggested before. I would like to be able to dye my items once again and also give a little more functionality to Chefs.

Thanks, R

Kariny

UO Lake Superior News Reporter
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No need to apologize! All ideas old or new are always welcome!

I like the idea of it except you know prices for non combat chefs will be sky high.

*giggles*
I want Cooking skill to enable the person to stand a better chance at landing an ingredient from either a peerless or champ. Make people actually work the skill for a change.
*imagines weilding her frying pan on the battlefield*

M

MoneyMaker

I can't remember where, but it was once mentioned that there was a possibility that the dyes would be craft-able.
Only reason I remember that, was because the prices for dyes went static soon after it was mentioned, on my shard.
I think it was mentioned shortly after the first tokuno event.
Making it a cooking craft-able would be the way to go with it.
(can you imagine a tinker trying to make a dye?)

debii

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i think its a great idea - perhaps using brightly colored eggs could play into this somehow.

M

MoneyMaker

Hmm...... I sure hope that a dev is paying attn.
There is a great idea forming in this thread.