• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] i was hacked, so if you see...

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UPDATED 8/25/08 with items recovered (aka bought back from vendors)

STOLEN & Hoping to Recover/Replace:
[1] a personal bless deed for Mouse (used to bless her AoF)
[2] a personal bless deed for Got The Crazies (was used to bless a piece of armor or a weapon)
[3] 3 dark black rubble morning glories
[4] a Year of the Dragon Moon Bag dyed "Coca Cola red" (the bag's original color is more of an orangey red which I didn't care for)
[5] 2 FULL Candle Of Love Quest sets (Heart Blackened by Despise/ Heart of Compassion; Sudiva's Covetous-Laced Tear/ Tear of Sacrifice; Executioner's Rusty Pen/ Quill of Justice; Prisoner's Journal)
[6] a 100% fire AoS robe for 'Grim Necromancer Mondain'

STOLEN and (for the most part) Recovered:
[7] 2 dark black rubble coco palm trees ~ RECOVERED 8/25/08!!!
[8] 4 green rubble coco palm trees ~ RECOVERED 8/1/08
[9] 1 rubble pier piling (without rope) ~ RECOVERED 8/1/08
[10] 2 rubble rift pillars
[11] 1 Val Runic Hammer & 4 Barbed Runic Kits ~ RECOVERED
[12] a whole bunch of Wearable Arties ~ RECOVERED
[13] 5 120-skill scrolls I'd bought for Lady Sunrise
[14] 4 Name Change, 2 Gender Change, about 10 SS Frag & about 10 Heritage Tokens ~ RECOVERED
[15] 2 blood tiles
[16] my Sherry the Mouse statue ~ RECOVERED thanks to Ken of Napa who replaced my Sherry AND Mouse Hole!!!
[17] Ankh & Banner deeds ~ RECOVERED
[18] About 20 Tokuno Dyes ~ RECOVERED
[19] 6 Ethereal Pets incl. 2 Chargers ~ RECOVERED
[20] Crimson Cincture
[21] All my dye tubs ~ RECOVERED

I'm adding another special thank you to Lariat from Baja Imports for donating to me what she did ~ thank you!!!
I can't thank everything enough for helping me get back on my feet *huge hug to you all*!!!

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so very sorry this happened to you :(

what shard do you call home?

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thanks DevilsOwn,
they got my napa account/house. i'm starting the rebuild process right now!
*hugs*!
~ NDM

Moslar

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nine, do you have any idea how you were possibly hacked and share it with us. I am very sorry that something like this has happened to you. I hope you do get your things back and we will sure keep our eyes out.

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i am almost positive they hacked my yahoo email first - my pw was secure (or so i thought) - a mix of letters (upper/lower and numbers). like an idiot, in my archive folder, i had a long list of EA emails and one definitely contained my latest pw :(
i believe it was my email account because i couldn't login to it after work today when i first realized i'd been hacked. i had to go through the whole security question process and set a new (MUCH MORE SECURE) password. kaj had a good theory - my yahoo email for my main account was also the email i used for paypal, and i buy gold frequently, so anyone i bought gold from would have known my email and could have started there. especially if they know me as a gold buyer, they probably figured i had a lot of stuff. my uo account pw had been changed too. i was able to reset that too. i think mostly i'm just eternally lucky that i decided to change my uo pw's today at work when i was bored, since i hadn't changed them in over a month. that's when i first noticed my uo one wasn't working, but honestly i assumed it was just typical ea and probably due to the patch or something. i didn't realize i'd been hacked until i logged into the game after work and my house was gone and everything (that they left) was all over the ground (and floating above my head). i've just spent the past 6 hours securing all my stuff in a temp house and then rebuilding my original house. my brain is FRIED. at least the adrenaline shakes have subsided :(
i guess all i can recommend - and it's something i should have realized AND advice given on these boards frequently - don't EVER use the same email for your account that you do for anything else game-related. *sigh*.

ps - i have never EVER given my account pw to anyone ever. i change my account pw often. apparently not often enough. some people say ICQ is to blame. i don't honestly know what is to blame. i'm also extremely paranoid about clicking any links people post here on the boards and in ICQ. i'm going to wipe my harddrive tonight, re-load everything, and start clean. sucks. i ran 3 virus/trojan scans after work today (spybot, adaware, mcafee) and they found nothing. so either they didn't get me with a keylogger OR the keylogger is buried beyond what those scans can find.

D

DVI

I feel its past time something be said here.

We've seen numerous posts on this forum about our fellow collectors being hacked and having their accounts stripped and to often we all do nothing but tell them how sorry we are.

Its past time we start behaving like a community and helping these who have been victims b/c god knows that if it happened to you, you'd be appreciative of any help you can get.

So in that light I'd like to encourage everyone who is active in the rares community to make any type of contribution to nine dark moons that they can afford or feel is reasonable, be it 1m or 100m, I know that anything anyone gave would be appreciated.

Also I don't believe in it being necessary to post the details of your contribution as that takes away from the act itself.

Finally, I feel that someone reputable and active on this forum should create a fund where donations can be made to help victims of hackings.

I made a donation to Nine Dark Moons this evening as soon as I discovered what happened, and I'd like to ask the rest of you to do the same, and those of you that have already I applaud your generosity.

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Finally, I feel that someone reputable and active on this forum should create a fund where donations can be made to help victims of hackings.
thank you Aspen, and everyone, for everything! you have all cheered me up immensely. there's nothing i really need ~ thankfully all my gold and a lot of my more recent rare-type purchases (including a spare val hammer that didn't sell at the last rare's festival) and my turn-in rewards are in the bank boxes of my other account, spread across many shards. this is the one moment i'm truly glad the transfer system is broken! otherwise some of that stuff would have been transferred to napa and placed in the house of the account they hacked.

mostly i would just appreciate people letting me know if they see any of the stolen items for sale anywhere so i can re-buy them. i don't think it's ever logical to finger-point at the people who appear to be selling stolen goods, as there's no real way to prove they're yours (except PBD's). i also assume most hackers are fairly proficient at remaining unknown and selling what they steal to unassuming collectors.

but i love your idea of a fund to help fellow hacked collectors. it's definitely a terrible thing to have happen to anyone :( i would definitely contribute to that fund.

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
one more thing i found VERY ODD - all the bags and backpacks on my ground floor that i store stuff in (i store a lot in them and stack them like 8 high) were ALL dyed black. i dyed them all sorts of colors. so whoever hacked my account dyed all my bags black. unless there's some new VERY funky bug in the game... so maybe that's like their calling card?

Pickaxe Pete

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so whoever hacked my account dyed all my bags black.
Very sorry for your losses.

Perhaps this backpack dying is so that he/she can see which bags she/he has sifted through already? Makes sense I suppose, so he/she won't be looking at the same things twice.

Or, she/he is just psycho.

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they hacked your email it is most likely via the secret question route. So changing your password is not going to help. Go make a brand new email and use that or you will get hacked again.

Lady Aalia

Atlantic's Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am sorry about what happened to you.

I dont know about the whole ICQ thing , havent had problems with it the email thing seems more likly. but that wont help you now :mad:

I dont play Napa so i dont have no gold there, but i have a bunch of Holiday items left that i havent traded yet, not sure if they would help you but your more then welcome to have them :)

just shoot me a message when you are available

best of luck to you

Ken of Napa

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I too am sorry to hear about your loss. Since my home shard is Napa I'll try to watch for your items. In the meantime if you need anything please let me know and I'll try to help.

You indicated they tore your house down but you were able to replace, but if you need another home I'd be happy to help.

Again very sorry for your loss:(

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they hacked your email it is most likely via the secret question route. So changing your password is not going to help. Go make a brand new email and use that or you will get hacked again.
Yep! I just created 3 new email accounts for my 3 uo accounts and i'm not going to use those email addresses for anything except those accounts. all my periphery uo stuff (like these boards, paypal, etc.) are all linked to other email accounts totally separate from my new account emails. very confusing to sort everything out, but it is great advice, thanks Tomas :)

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thanks Avenhar! and Ken of Napa!
yeah, thanks to napa being a quiet shard i was really lucky that no one else grabbed my stuff when it was on the ground, and i was able to re-place my 18x18 on the same footprint. that made me feel a lot better. i still have to go through all the stuff they left behind to see what else they took, but i'm really glad they didn't take everything. and Avenhar, they did steal my Shery the Mouse statue, but they did NOT steal my box of 3rd teir turn-in items *grin* so i should have enough points to get me a new mouse :)

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
it seems to me that people who use yahoo emails get hacked more easily than anyone else... When i was hacked, about 12 accounts got hacked into, however only 4 or 5 used the same yahoo email so i dunno how they got the rest of them, but since i have changed to a different email with a different service, i also realized that i had that same yahoo email attached to my icq which was dumb on my part and i used that same email for common websites and such to register, from now on uo has its own email and everything else has another thats the best way to go id say, ive been fine since late march and me and my girlfriend Sundina have come a long ways and have recieved help from friends and collectors in rebuilding what we lost, it really sucks to get hacked and 7+ years of playing i thought id never be a victim to it, it isnt a good feeling when u get up 7 am check your email and it says your uo password has been changed... your stomach drops and you're like oh god whats the first thing i do... The person who hacked me actually tried to do so again in late march because i got an email on my old yahoo address requesting all the account names associated with that email. I had changed all of the accounts i used but there were like 5 other accounts associated with the email just noob accounts that i once used to place houses with and have been inactive for months, he then requested the password for one of these accounts not knowing they were all inactive and he went no further. Seriously i wish i had a friend in the fbi that could track down this sick mother you know what and break down his door with a swat team, these people should be forced into a straight jacket and tossed in a padded room for life

i am sorry for your loss nine, you're a good person ive dealt rares with you in the past so ill see what i can do in helping you out, no one deserves this especially rare collectors who spend so much time, years and years build up their collections to lose some of it to some d bag that doesnt even know what a rare is, serious....

the guy that hacked me took some rares such as phoenix armor suit, enervate 1 of a kind mask, orc skin mask, dbl blessed orcish kin mask, dbl blessed orc mask, halloween on chessy mask, 2 naughty bags and almost got my goal and naughty ticket but i got him kicked off with them in my pack at moonglow in, EA really needs to work on putting a team together for the purpose of tracking down hackers, if the FBI can do it very easily then they should find a way to do it as well, they had me going to the police who were of no help because they felt it wasnt important since i didnt lose any cash although it totaled to around $2000 dollars if i chose to sell all that was taken, Also if anyone sees a RED TRIBAL MASK CALLED "ENERVATE" PLEASE PM ME!!!! only one exists so whoever has it, regardless of if they bought it from the hacker will be dealing with me, sorry for ranting on but enough is enough

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry this happened to you. I know how you feel it's a horrible feeling. I was hacked in feb they stole stuff from my houses and stripped all my characters and left them naked at skara brae inn. Mine were on two different emails some were on hotmail and some were on sbcglobal. They got seven accounts total and one hadn't been active in over a year so of course they couldn't get anything off of it but it was empty anyways. They also took all my unused vet rewards that I had been saving. I was lucky enough to have caught it before they got everything. I happen to be up and checked my email and seen that the passwords had been changed. One of my houses they didn't get to yet and it had my singing ball in it which I had just moved there the day before so I was so thankful for that.

It makes you very paranoid. I'm always worried it is going to happen again. :sad3:

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes, it does make you very paranoid! it's like now that it's happened once i'm SO scared they'll get me again. that's really scary Demonous and Christy that they got multiple accounts of yours, especially ones on different emails! *more paranoid than ever*...
i logged into napa like every 20 minutes all weekend just to make sure my rebuilt house was still standing. they were nice enough to leave behind all my soul stones from my 3 accounts. but i'm still really bummed out about the 2 pieces of armor they stole that were blessed with PBD's...
i'm keeping an eye on the 2 major UO search engine thingies ~ i'm guessing at some point my stuff will start showing up for sale on napa or (more likely) other shards once transfers come back up.
TO THE HACKERS: i am willing to buy back anything you stole (especially the items personally blessed for Mouse and Got The Crazies). please either ICQ me (215-364-344) or leave a message on my house bulletin board! you're going to sell it anyway, so i'd like a chance to buy it back. i'm not interested in retaliation, i just want my stuff :(

K

ken01

I know ultimate responsibility rests with the players, but i wonder how hard it would be to add some feature to help track where a hacked accounts players have been. Maybe a log or journal that cant be deleted that would show all the coordinates you have recalled or gated to in the last 24 hours. Also it could record everyone you made a trade or transfer with tho that would only help with pets I guess. You couldnt put too much data in there it would take to much space but coordinates would at least slow hackers down they would half to change security on containers and use their chars tomove all the items they stole.One last thing it could record names of any chars who were in your chars area for a certain amount of time or who kept coming and going. t

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i just wish EA Games had an added level of security so it wasn't so easy for hackers to change your account password. thankfully i was able to do a pw request and get them to reset it (truthfully those couple hours after realizing i was hacked are a total blur thanks to the adrenaline shakes and sheer panic) but when i called customer support to report the hack i got a man with a very heavy indian accent (annoying enough) and he thought i needed my password, and he asked me for the last 4 digits of the credit card i used to last pay my account with and i couldn't give him that info because i used a stupid visa gift card that someone gave me for christmas and once it was used up i threw it out. so another good tip is never use gift cards to pay your UO account fee becuase if you ever need the numbers in order to get your account back from hackers it's impossible. i'm really glad i managed to get my pw back on my own!!! the customer support guy was ZERO help. EA sucks with account security measures, their failure to track items after a hack, and pretty much everything else related to customer support.

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
just to make things even better, the hackers left behind one box of turn-in items (halloween candy) so i turned those in yesterday and had enough points to get a mouse hole (to go with the replacement Sherry the Mouse that Ken of Napa was SO nice to get for me!). i axed the mouse hole to move it this morning and got the message "you broke the item"... no more mouse hole for me.
WTF????????
*scream*
i don't remember reading anything about the mouse holes breaking??? i moved it like 5 times last night with no problem. axe it once today and it's gone forever :(

F

feath

that totally sucks! I didn't think you could do that - 'break' any item in the game? maybe a bug?
if i was on your shard, i'd give you one. *hugs* sorry it happened to you - what rotten luck.

Ken of Napa

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Man! Just hasn't been your week has it? Don't worry, I still have over a million points, so tonight you will have a new Sherry the Mouse and mouse hole ;)

Hopefully the developers will fix this tho, otherwise gonna be a lot of upset people when they try to re-decorate.

I'll ICQ ya when I get home from work in about and hour and 15 to 20 minutes ;)

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll check tonite and see if I have anything at all on Napa for ya

the few times I've called with account related problems (thank the ghods, not often) they have asked for the last *eight* digits on the account payment method... I know you've been distraught lately (stupid mousehole on top of everything else) but just wondering.. are you certain they asked fo the last four digits? cause that's diplayed on the account management page, and a hacker would certainly see that if making claim on the account.... seems like a misstep to me, somewhere.... but I'm not sure where, just totally confused myself

K

kray2s

Hi,
i sorry i have only just seen this post and i would like to offer nine my sympathy that this has happend!

I would add to the fund that is / was being collected but i am affraid i only have chars on Europa ( i should expand myself to other shards really)

However, i promise i will keep an eye out for any items i have seen you are missing and will do my upmost to keep checking back here to see the list as you update it

Personally if i could i would have all hackers genitalia on pikes outside my house by midnight tonight!!!

It is just plain and simply wrong - We work hard for what we have got and to have it taken away by low - never done a hard days graft in their life- SCUM (coz thats what they are) is just not on!

I am currently creating a new email addy and so on for my accounts as i have b4 used 1 addy for the lot! - I hope more people take the same action!!

Prevention better than cure!

Once again Nine - if u ever on Europa shard or if i can do anything to help pls let me know i will do what i can

Ken of Napa

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally if i could i would have all hackers genitalia on pikes outside my house by midnight tonight!!!
Wow! Not only is that a wonderful idea, but I'd pay real money to see it!!

I agree, it takes a special kind of scum to hack into someones computer and clean them out:(

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have some characters on napa and they have heritage tokens on them and I will gladly give them to you. you just have to let me know when you are on and who your character is.

N

NewThunder

Also have a seperate email for UO. Never use the same email for paypal and UO it is not safe.

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Man! Just hasn't been your week has it? Don't worry, I still have over a million points, so tonight you will have a new Sherry the Mouse and mouse hole ;)

Hopefully the developers will fix this tho, otherwise gonna be a lot of upset people when they try to re-decorate.

I'll ICQ ya when I get home from work in about and hour and 15 to 20 minutes ;)
Thank you again Ken for the replacement Sherry AND the replacement Mouse Hole!!! I am not going to try to place the Mouse Hole until they fix the bug that breaks it. So for now Sherry is sitting on top of her Mouse Hole Deed and keeping it safe :)

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
are you certain they asked fo the last four digits? cause that's diplayed on the account management page, and a hacker would certainly see that if making claim on the account.... seems like a misstep to me, somewhere.... but I'm not sure where, just totally confused myself [/COLOR][/FONT]
I think he did ask for the last 8 digits, not just 4, you are right... Yeah, everything was a total blur for a few hours there! For sure.

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am currently creating a new email addy and so on for my accounts as i have b4 used 1 addy for the lot! - I hope more people take the same action!! Prevention better than cure!
Once again Nine - if u ever on Europa shard or if i can do anything to help pls let me know i will do what i can
Thank you very much for the kind works Kray2S!!! And I'm glad my posts prompted you to change your account email addys and stuff! Very smart move. Just let me know if you ever see any black rubble coco palms for sale on Europa! That's where I bought one of mine (and x-fered it to Napa) so I'm hopeful if one spawned there, maybe a lot more did and maybe someone will decide to sell another :)

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have some characters on napa and they have heritage tokens on them and I will gladly give them to you. you just have to let me know when you are on and who your character is.
Awww, thanks Christy!!! I actually found a stash of them on Atlantic in one of my other account's bank boxes, so I'm all set. I'll x-fer those to Napa when x-fers are back up and replace the stuff I lost from the tokens (rugs, fountains of life, broken furny, etc.). But you rock for the offer!!! I super appreciate it and everything people have done to help me get back on my feet. This is an incredible community of people and I'm thankful to be a part of it!

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thanks everyone again for all your help and support!!!
i just edited the first post with a comprehensive list of what the hackers stole from me and i upated the items i've been able to recover thanks to kind donations and lucky finds

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This does totally suck....

But something is bugging me and iam sure its making alarm bells ring for others???

What the hell is a icq hack? is this possible.....is icq so unsecure??? iam sorry for all your loss but i realy think we need to clear up wether icq is safe or not...yes or no....

Or as u typed by acident account name and password while logging on to uo but talking to icq at same time?????

K

kray2s

Damn nine, I managed to get 3 palms from europa all date ! gave one to the wife , sold one on uo auction2 as part of a package and the other i sold as part of a package to a good friend to raise money for my new shop!

Wish i had one left i would give it to you

.p.s to ken of napa - i glad you liked the idea of genetalia on pikes - trust me if i could do it i would!!!

really makes you wonder why these people cant work for their stuff like the rest of us!

I will keep an eye out for all stuff i see in the lists that have been posted on strats and do my best to help all try to regain their items!

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This does totally suck....

But something is bugging me and iam sure its making alarm bells ring for others???

What the hell is a icq hack? is this possible.....is icq so unsecure??? iam sorry for all your loss but i realy think we need to clear up wether icq is safe or not...yes or no....

Or as u typed by acident account name and password while logging on to uo but talking to icq at same time?????
Hi THP - i honestly don't know about the ICQ hacks - but over the years people always post messages on these boards saying things about how ICQ has vulnerabilities (i think it used to be a lot worse and the later versions are much more safe).

you should post a message in UHall asking why ICQ isn't safe - i'm guessing you'll get a lot of replies from the people who always blame ICQ first thing when they hear about someone being hacked. i posted a message on UHall first (before posting here in the Rares Forum) and a guy replied saying something to that effect. I would like to know too - as i understand it, you can't get hacked through ICQ unless someone sends you a link and you click on it (easier when you're tired and not thinking straight). links can contain key loggers. as far as i know, i have NEVER clicked any links from people on ICQ that i don't know. i have a small friend base on there and they don't send me links.

it freaks me out that CRIMINAL was hacked 2 nights ago by the same d!cks that got me (i'm assuming it's the same people since they dropped his house also, and didn't delete his chars - same MO as me). creepy that we both got hacked on NAPA, and NAPA is a pretty small shard...

anyways, put a message out on UHall asking about ICQ safety issues, or i can - i'd like to hear exactly why it's considered so unsafe... i'm still going to use it because it's the only messenger i use because my UO friends and contacts are all on it.

Halister Marner

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hi THP - i honestly don't know about the ICQ hacks - but over the years people always post messages on these boards saying things about how ICQ has vulnerabilities (i think it used to be a lot worse and the later versions are much more safe).

you should post a message in UHall asking why ICQ isn't safe - i'm guessing you'll get a lot of replies from the people who always blame ICQ first thing when they hear about someone being hacked. i posted a message on UHall first (before posting here in the Rares Forum) and a guy replied saying something to that effect. I would like to know too - as i understand it, you can't get hacked through ICQ unless someone sends you a link and you click on it (easier when you're tired and not thinking straight). links can contain key loggers. as far as i know, i have NEVER clicked any links from people on ICQ that i don't know. i have a small friend base on there and they don't send me links.

it freaks me out that CRIMINAL was hacked 2 nights ago by the same d!cks that got me (i'm assuming it's the same people since they dropped his house also, and didn't delete his chars - same MO as me). creepy that we both got hacked on NAPA, and NAPA is a pretty small shard...

anyways, put a message out on UHall asking about ICQ safety issues, or i can - i'd like to hear exactly why it's considered so unsafe... i'm still going to use it because it's the only messenger i use because my UO friends and contacts are all on it.
I would consider using something such as Trillian or Pidgin, both use the ICQ protocol but are much more secure, and when paired with proper security, should provide a more secure environment. The standard ICQ client is very insecure.

Also, if you already haven't, I would have your system checked for viruses, your anti virus may not be picking up a custom keylogger or virus, and you could still be infected. I would recommend posting on www.spywareinfoforum.com, and reading how to post a HiJackThis log in the Malware Removal forum so they can analyze it and see if you have any running infections or keyloggers on your system.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
backpack dying is usually more indicative of a scripted loss, your char war likely near a bank and somehow a script was being run on your account.

Not saying it was you, just interpreting some evidence for folks who don't realize the malicious stuff people will do for pixels.

Edit: Feel bad for saying this but people if you use a 3rd party program, I'd hope you understood the various intricacies of it before putting it to use. It's a shame things like this happen but yours does seem to be one of the very rare cases of a player being legitimately hacked the old fashioned way. If you were on pacific I'd toss you 10-20mill to help out.

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
backpack dying is usually more indicative of a scripted loss, your char war likely near a bank and somehow a script was being run on your account.

Not saying it was you, just interpreting some evidence for folks who don't realize the malicious stuff people will do for pixels.

Edit: Feel bad for saying this but people if you use a 3rd party program, I'd hope you understood the various intricacies of it before putting it to use. It's a shame things like this happen but yours does seem to be one of the very rare cases of a player being legitimately hacked the old fashioned way. If you were on pacific I'd toss you 10-20mill to help out.
Thanks Omnius. Nope, no script running on my account unless the hackers did it. I always log my chars off at my house. Logged them out Wednesday night at my house and when I logged in on Thursday after work they were all naked and sitting in Tram Buc's Inn. The dyed black bags were all in my house, next to my stack of dye tubs (which they stole) ~ they're all my scribe-related bags, color coded so i know what level of spells are in each, and also which ones are ready for sale on my vendor :(
Easy to dye back, but it was creepy to see them all black.

Laina

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am so sorry for your loss - I just can't and never will understand the whole hacking thing and why EA can't put some better measures in place. I'm sure they have their reasons but that doesn't help replace all your hard work. Unfortunately I do not have items on Napa or I'd gladly donate them to help.

On another note...I do really really like the idea of putting together a fund to help out our fellow players and would be more than happy to donate.

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Laina :)

On the old boards someone posted a concise list of virus scanners and checks you can run on your system that look for trojans, keyloggers, etc. I can't find that post. Can someone either direct me to it or re-post the info? I have Windows XP, I used Firefox for my browser, and I do frequent scans with McAfee, Spybot S&D, and Ad-Aware but they got through all that. I'm assuming they got me via a keylogger but I think it's impossible to figure out exactly how you were hacked. I'm really paranoid now that there's something lurking on my system that I don't know about.

And while Jeremy's post a couple months back outlined the backwards way you can set up security questions on your account (which I DID), the hackers were still able to change my account pw, and I was able to change it back without answering any questions. After being hacked i tried to re-set up the security questions via the instructions in Jeremy's post but I got stuck in a loop and got nowhere. As far as I can tell that process doesn't work at the moment.

K

kray2s

i personally like avg - just as good as norton in my opinion its available via a download and very easy to use!

im sure theres plenty more of anti-virus and so on but i tend to use norton like urself adaware and avg as a second scan

hope this proves of some use - and i sure more peeps will offer there opinion