• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I understand Ultima Online isnt exactly a real game

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i know we dont have funding or a team and UO isnt a "real" game in the sense that things are done well. just cant be with the very low resources, skeleton staff, and maintenance mode content.

But...

can new items please be incorporated into vendor search BEFORE they are published?

its very frustrating looking for new things when search doesnt even pick them up.

It was even better before, because everyone had luna vendors and the search sites did a very good job at getting everything. now they arent updated well, and many shops arent in luna because they think in game search works.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It would definitely be nice if they added the stuff before the patch.

As for not putting work into searching for things, that is not true. I have frequently found stuff in the middle of nowhere, marked a rune, left, and then when I try to come back to buy the item a few minutess later, realize that something had gone wrong whether it was the rune not marking correctly or someone standing on my rune spot, either way I could not remember where the shop was so just gave up and bought one in luna. This causes the seller to lose a sale, and me to have to pay more.

Vendor search having the new items would fix this.

Last edited:

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aww, you actually have to put in some work to find something? :p
i get your point but that wasnt what i was referring too (i was against vendor search for the same thing you said)

I'm saying that once a feature is added to a game, players expect it to be supported. Having this feature only half work / not work for new items just looks sloppy. Not like a clean, finished, functioning product.

Its bad PR, especially when the devs know when their putting in new items and SHOULD code them before they put in as standard procedure.

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wait... What?

Is there a vendor search function in the client now days? Where can i find it?

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Click on yourself while at home or at an inn.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Yeah I always wonder if they will ever fix the quirks with vendor search. I think it's fallen into the good enough category. New items don't appear until they "refresh the data base", partial search pages don't show, etc. Bummer. I still don't think coffee plants are showing up unless you add coffee plant to the description.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm saying that once a feature is added to a game, players expect it to be supported. Having this feature only half work / not work for new items just looks sloppy. Not like a clean, finished, functioning product.
*nods*

I agree. I just had to post that or else I would´ve gone through the day with twitchy fingers...

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah I always wonder if they will ever fix the quirks with vendor search. I think it's fallen into the good enough category. New items don't appear until they "refresh the data base", partial search pages don't show, etc. Bummer. I still don't think coffee plants are showing up unless you add coffee plant to the description.
If you search "coffee" it brings up the cups of coffee and the coffee pods.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
and while they are at it please add the cleanup points to the new gifts when they are released as well.
While I'd like to agree with this... I think that they should be coded in to the clean up only one year later. It's rude to throw a gift in the trash the day you get it. Rewards for cleaning should only occur for those willing to "sacrifice" the space... so you need to store them for a good year before they should be trashed. And honestly I think the older the item gets the more it should be worth. So the code needs to be fixed so every year the "reward" for an item ought to be based on it's age and it ought to double every year. So these things that are worth next to nothing now should slowly improve and get better with time and more of an incentive to toss them. As much of the stuff anymore is just not worth trashing because it's barely worth loading up for a trip to a barrel.

Xanthril of LA

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well-stated. But I can't help but note that this statement seems to be just as applicable to the turn-in reward system as it does to the vendor search issue. When a feature is not working as intended then it justifies some attention to provide a clean, finished, functioning product. Of course, each player may have a different aspect of the game that they view as needing some attention.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Just wondering if they added Coffee to the description when they priced it. I had to do that to get my coffee stuff to show up.
Your right, I didn't notice that. I guess the vendor search only brings it up when the word coffee is in the description.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
While I'd like to agree with this... I think that they should be coded in to the clean up only one year later. It's rude to throw a gift in the trash the day you get it. Rewards for cleaning should only occur for those willing to "sacrifice" the space... so you need to store them for a good year before they should be trashed. And honestly I think the older the item gets the more it should be worth. So the code needs to be fixed so every year the "reward" for an item ought to be based on it's age and it ought to double every year. So these things that are worth next to nothing now should slowly improve and get better with time and more of an incentive to toss them. As much of the stuff anymore is just not worth trashing because it's barely worth loading up for a trip to a barrel.
Oh Christ, some people don't base their gameplay on hoarding garbage.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Well then don't cry when you don't have points. Not my problem. Some of us enjoy collecting.
You'll get lots of points when you turn in all your hoarded crap. But the idea that non-hoarders should be denied their few points unless they sit around for a year "appreciating the gifts" that someone wrote five lines of code to auto-dump into everyone's pack is ridiculous.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You'll get lots of points when you turn in all your hoarded crap. But the idea that non-hoarders should be denied their few points unless they sit around for a year "appreciating the gifts" that someone wrote five lines of code to auto-dump into everyone's pack is ridiculous.
Well... it's a gift I suppose they mean for you to appreciate it a little more... along with give folk who are collecting a chance to buy it from you if you choose to sell it rather than throw it in the nearest receptacle for points which honestly isn't really that much even if they did put the 5 to 50 points in and anyone who's really in it for the points over the space would be willing to hold onto it longer if it gained in point value over time rather than just got 5 to 50 points a year later anyway... So give me a real argument. Sounds to me like you want your cake and to eat it too. So either you are a hoarder or you never keep stuff anyway which to me means your really not that into points as you claim. And you aren't denied points if it's not worth any from the start anyway... the fact that you chose to throw something as soon as it's given tells me that you don't care about the points, the gifts or the code... so don't bother throwing it in the trash just drop it right there on the ground and someone else who does care will be more than happy to pick it up from you and store it waiting for points or finishing out a collection.

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree that new items should be addded to vendor search before they are released.

For some time I have thought that the devs should have a checklist that they check off before releasing new items.

Item...

1. Can be dyed.

2. Can be stacked/combined.

3. Is relevant to a UO skill set.

4. Is relevant to UO lore.

5. Is included in vendor search.

There are more that I can't think of at the moment.

I find in game vendor search is awesome 99% of the time.

I have a teensy tiny issue with it, however. I search for extremely good deals that can sometimes be found due to a person placing an item on their vendor and it getting NPC priced.

So I search for "box", price low to high, on Atlantic, and I find a gold box for 9 gp and a red square gift box for 2 gp. Great deals!

I get the maps and teleport to the vendors and can't find the deals, I instead find stored not for sale or not for sale but selling items inside boxes.

I do wish this teeny issue could be fixed.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I agree that new items should be addded to vendor search before they are released.

For some time I have thought that the devs should have a checklist that they check off before releasing new items.

Item...

1. Can be dyed.

2. Can be stacked/combined.

3. Is relevant to a UO skill set.

4. Is relevant to UO lore.

5. Is included in vendor search.

There are more that I can't think of at the moment.

I find in game vendor search is awesome 99% of the time.

I have a teensy tiny issue with it, however. I search for extremely good deals that can sometimes be found due to a person placing an item on their vendor and it getting NPC priced.

So I search for "box", price low to high, on Atlantic, and I find a gold box for 9 gp and a red square gift box for 2 gp. Great deals!

I get the maps and teleport to the vendors and can't find the deals, I instead find stored not for sale or not for sale but selling items inside boxes.

I do wish this teeny issue could be fixed.
I couldn't agree more about the check list and #1 should always be "Can it stack?!"

If it's a deco item... #1 ought to be "Can I make this in all 4 directions?!" I'm so sick and tired of only having decor on 2 sides of the room. Looks wrong and stupid. No one would deco their home that way... "Yes welcome to my house you may as well not turn around because for convenience I've only decorated what you can see from the door. The walls on the south and east side of my house are completely barren."..... so silly. While I realize this isn't a 3d game can we at least pretend that it is at least "normal"? Honestly I don't mind having stuff "hidden" by my wall with just a hint that it's there. I prefer that to only using 2 sides of my room... 2 sides of my table... etc... it's silly.

Number 6. So you know should be... "What crafter should make this item?!" I'm so fed up with wonderful deco items that we CAN'T make. I'm tired of having to store 30 of something because god sakes what if I deco for other folks and I/they might need/desire/want one of those!?! And maybe the person I'm doing the deco for wasn't around 5 years ago when the crap came out. Can't make it better keep enough to last the next 20 years of UO. DANG it DEV's don't do that! I ought to be able to craft most of this crap. Why can't I? There are 100's of items already in game that I should be able to craft for myself. I don't want to hear any BS about the "rarity" of crap. Furnishings should NOT be rare. They want rare rubble **** they can have a freaking table that weighs 900 stones and has a "rubble" tag when you mouse it but for the rest of us "normal" players.... I should be able to CRAFT the stuff.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Well... it's a gift I suppose they mean for you to appreciate it a little more...
Oh for god's sake, who cares? I've been throwing away random garbage spawned into my pack on holidays for fifteen years. It's a couple lines of code, nobody sat around wrapping it and thinking of you.

But hey congrats on piling that trash up for a year and then dumping it en masse. I'm sure they're touched over there about how you appreciate their gifts.

I don't really care if they're worth points either way. I delete that crap as soon as I get it. But the idea that anyone should take five seconds out of their workday to code a system to mathematically encourage people to "appreciate their gifts" (aka reward hoarders, aka you) is asinine.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You wanna hoard your gifts go ahead, its no different than being a weapon, armor, shield Plant regents etc etc hoarder. If you don't want to hoard gifts toss them nothing wrong with that either. Everyone on this game hoarders one thing or another nothing wrong with it.

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh for god's sake, who cares? I've been throwing away random garbage spawned into my pack on holidays for fifteen years. It's a couple lines of code, nobody sat around wrapping it and thinking of you.

The Dev Team put in long hours of time and energy. So indeed it was wrapped with love. And there is a certain satisfaction knowing that the items that were made were indeed created and made WITH us in mind. We may virtually live in a virtually created world but there are humans on both ends.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Dev Team put in long hours of time and energy. So indeed it was wrapped with love. And there is a certain satisfaction knowing that the items that were made were indeed created and made WITH us in mind. We may virtually live in a virtually created world but there are humans on both ends.
Sorry but i have to disagree. its their job, mesanna doesnt play the game, i dunno about the others but its $$ for them. As little effort as possible to keep people happy / the game running for 2 maybe 4 more years. If an actual player designed the gifts the best part about them wouldnt be the box.

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If an actual player designed the gifts the best part about them wouldnt be the box.
That is true, but I think they do consider some of the ideas they get from us. Like the sheets and I am sure the coffee idea spawned from Stratics too? Albeit some may be reused graphics or even borrowed, I try to stay positive and, not on purpose, am defensive of this world.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
they did it again. forgot to add new potted plants to search when the most people are looking for them.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
If an actual player designed the gifts the best part about them wouldnt be the box.
This is a 2D game. What do you honestly expect an 'actual player' would do differently?

The 'gifts' we get are simply little momentos, not something designed to make us feel warm and creamy inside.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is a 2D game. What do you honestly expect an 'actual player' would do differently?

The 'gifts' we get are simply little momentos, not something designed to make us feel warm and creamy inside.
the plants were decent, however many gifts just were a waste of time. theres basically a formula to make a "good" gift. personally i dont care for gifts and feel the new content / graphics should be added to mobs even if for limited time. however this is generally what gift lovers like:

something to collect, not to few not to many.
rare colors / graphic / item. about 1% chance
something thats worth getting on more than one character (the recent valantines day basket, as well as the fireplaces/grinders failed at this, because they were all the same - no one needs more than 1 but "gift lovers" enjoy seeing what gifts they get on many characters. same goes for alacrity / sot books. generally a wasted gift.

Something useful for everyone (coffee-grinders failed because its useless to anyone who doesnt have the cooking skill)
even the anniversarry swords cant be used to cut up corpes or kill mongbats.

my point is, this is some of the very small amount of new art / content that the devs produce. it can at least be done well and keep the players who enjoy that type of thing happy.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
same goes for alacrity / sot books. generally a wasted gift.
In my humble opinion, this was most useful gift we've received in a while. For people actually out there playing the game, running spawns, doing t-maps - very easy way to organize having hundreds of scrolls. Run a spawn, go drop the scrolls in your book back home, run right off to next spawn. Also - saved lockdown / holding space in your houses... something the hoarders of this thread should appreciate. Not sure how some rare colored plant can be called decent, but something actually useful is called a wasted gift.

Also not sure if 'new art' of player gifts is best use of limited developer resources. Based on the above, sounds to me like you can probably never expect to be happy based on the gifts we get.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love the sot and p.s and soa books ... The p.s. I normally bind and still do but now i can keep a bunch or 10 & 15 handy for new players to get em started...

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In my humble opinion, this was most useful gift we've received in a while. For people actually out there playing the game, running spawns, doing t-maps - very easy way to organize having hundreds of scrolls. Run a spawn, go drop the scrolls in your book back home, run right off to next spawn. Also - saved lockdown / holding space in your houses... something the hoarders of this thread should appreciate. Not sure how some rare colored plant can be called decent, but something actually useful is called a wasted gift.

Also not sure if 'new art' of player gifts is best use of limited developer resources. Based on the above, sounds to me like you can probably never expect to be happy based on the gifts we get.
i agree its a useful item, but not really a "good gift" i would never need more than 1, maybe 2 of these and the majority of them (hundreds) are discarded on the floor. thats what i meant as a "wasted gift" 1or2 are kept, the rest thrown out. So while a very useful item, i think it would have been better implemented as a craftable.

the plants in comparison i see as a "good gift," they fit all the things that gift lovers go for.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
the plants were decent, however many gifts just were a waste of time. theres basically a formula to make a "good" gift. personally i dont care for gifts and feel the new content / graphics should be added to mobs even if for limited time. however this is generally what gift lovers like:

something to collect, not to few not to many.
rare colors / graphic / item. about 1% chance
something thats worth getting on more than one character (the recent valantines day basket, as well as the fireplaces/grinders failed at this, because they were all the same - no one needs more than 1 but "gift lovers" enjoy seeing what gifts they get on many characters. same goes for alacrity / sot books. generally a wasted gift.

Something useful for everyone (coffee-grinders failed because its useless to anyone who doesnt have the cooking skill)
even the anniversarry swords cant be used to cut up corpes or kill mongbats.

my point is, this is some of the very small amount of new art / content that the devs produce. it can at least be done well and keep the players who enjoy that type of thing happy.
Actually the coffee machine and grinder is more useless to those who never were here for the horn of plenty and such.... since they will NEVER have a coffee plant to get resources from in the first place.... those who tossed the horns in the nearest trash or on the floor the day they got them... sort of a weird gift.

As for the rest.... I am with Merlin that PS book was a godsend! I love the books!

Infact I want one for deeds! All those stinking deeds from shadow collection, even the icky crystal ones, the deeds from tailoring like the rugs and tapestries.... deeds from crafting, deeds from the heritage tokens.... If I could put them into a deed book that worked like a BoD book where I could not only save on lockdowns BUT price them for sale on a vendor!!!! Where someone could search for what they needed more easily and I could create a bunch of deeded items to sell and easily put on a vendor.... imagine how wonderful that would be!?!

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As for the rest.... I am with Merlin that PS book was a godsend! I love the books!

Infact I want one for deeds! !
the question is, do you want / need hundreds of them ;)

i think they would be much more popular as a gift if there was even a chance at a rare color like void or abyssal.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
the question is, do you want / need hundreds of them ;)

i think they would be much more popular as a gift if there was even a chance at a rare color like void or abyssal.
Do I want 100's of them..... Why yes.... yes I do. Why? Because I collect people not stuff. I like to give away things to friends, returning players, etc.... I LOVE to deco... so I'm often decorating for folk and yes I use much of my own stash... that's why I stash it.

But yes I agree about the rare colors and things. That was one overwhelming reason why I got 100's of the plants and barely cared about the Valentines gift. The Valentines gift was a lose lose from the start. First off the basket red nice... but blah.... secondly ... Why!!!! Why was the rose totally unnamed and blah. The bottle of drink was nice.... was very nice to have something "new" with art. A bit large though. Same with the glasses. Are these meant for Ogres? Surely you don't expect a human to be hefting that bottle and glass... But I digress... The Valentines gift was blah boring. Nothing special..... no names to collect.... hell you can't even get your own name on things much anymore that makes me sad. Some of the BEST gifts ever IMO are those that hold memories.... like the cupids arrow I can shoot someone and have their name forever. Silly me I shot the King! I just know he loves me! But things like that are worth getting on all 800+ characters... the plants were worth getting... trade/sell/keep whatever collect. Enjoy for years to come... a box that is nothing special but a color I can probably craft is blah... especially if you fill it with things I can put in there from just crap in my house.

Popular gifts are the Heritage tokens, the deeds for clocks, manikins, and display cases... Things we can use. But I still have to say with most that crap... I would have been FAR happier if they came as recipes so I can make that **** myself and DYE them colors I want.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
*Looks up from his spot by the fire*

"UO is a way of alternate life. Follow the eight virtues as ever an Avatar does and you will indeed find an alternate meaning in your real life"

*raises a glass of good old Moonglow Red in salute *

Noryiscool

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
i know we dont have funding or a team and UO isnt a "real" game in the sense that things are done well. just cant be with the very low resources, skeleton staff, and maintenance mode content.

But...

can new items please be incorporated into vendor search BEFORE they are published?

its very frustrating looking for new things when search doesnt even pick them up.

It was even better before, because everyone had luna vendors and the search sites did a very good job at getting everything. now they arent updated well, and many shops arent in luna because they think in game search works.
Half the fun is looking for junk, when u find it its like getting a hit