• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I tried a new Signature, what do you now think?

• Thread starter Lyra Morningstar
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
L

Lyra Morningstar

I tried to follow all the great advices from last time and made a new signature. What do you now think of it?

B

BobMcForge

That's very attractive. I like the layout and the images you've chosen.

I might suggest something other than a white background in the center. That's a very broad expanse of a bright color, but that's minor and really a matter of taste.

All in all I'd say it's a very workable, nice looking sig.

Bob McDeath
Sul Bakara

D

Deachia

Good job! I like your new sig a lot!!!

*grins and fades away*

L

Lyra Morningstar

Thank you all for your nice replies
*hugs*
I am happy I could this time make a good one. And I want to thank all who gave so great advice last time, it helped a lot.
*smiles*

R

Rob L

The white i dont like, so heres a hint /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif. Get a picture of some foilage, treetops, etc. That will look nicer in the center.

X

Xavier of Skara

That's really nice....maybe someday I'll get to a point to add pictures and cool stuff to my sig instead of just words /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

S

_Sun_

hmmm

my question to you is how you got such a crisp siege symbol where others of us have to resort to copys with black backgrounds(we then have to paint over)

i would love to have a crisp copy such as the one you have

D

Deachia

She really did a wonderful job /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

L

Lyra Morningstar

I would be happy if I could send you a siege symbol without background, but also mine has it. The program "PaintShop Pro" can insert it without the background, I had nothing to do to remove it. I coloured the background white and used then something like "insert transparent picture".

G

I think you showed remarkable improvement and have a really lovely piece of work there.
I finally got together a sig that I can show the steps on so without further ado, the process.
I began by picking out the images I want to start with as my centerpiece and background. I chose the woman with long auburn hair, and a fractal image that compliemented the colors. I made ap ic that shows all the elements seperately in their unretouched state with the exception of the Stratics S cog which had been color adjusted to the right hues for this sig, more on that later. This is the collage:

I made a new file, sized about 150x700 to give me a little room to play.
To begin I placed my redhead and the fractal. I then took the marquee tool and selected a box of just her face(layer face) and some hair and made a copy that was topmost layer. I then took the first redhead layer and decreased opacity to about 50% so I could see what lay beneath and moved it til I was satisfied with placement. I then used the eraser at 20% to show up the vanilla colored stripes.
I then opened the S cog and used adjust color. hue, and saturation. This is incredibly valuable tool in making things match or contrast the way you want them to. Play with the sliders and watch it change til you see as something usable for you. I then placed it, again lowering trans to see exactly where it should fit best then took eraser and slowly took out the center til the fractal showed through. This is a snapshot of it at that point, you can see the transp differences between face and hair well:

I continued to removed the hair detail slowly using a 10%eraser and moved the layers a bit to better blend them smoothly. I added in the other two cogs with adjustment to the color values to look more coppery/chestnut tones. I had to juggle the size on them to get the teeth to "fit" properly, and it's still off but it looks ok. I also removed the inner cog color to show fractal behind it as well.

I add some detailing to the cogs using the outer glow in a sunset gradient overlay at 45% opac soft blend and added a outer bevel contour smoothed. You can copy and paste styles when you've tweaked a certain look you want to repeat, I often do so for consistant look in text. I play around with a few fonts and decide the Blackadder ITC looks best for it. I use a cantelope colored text and lay another gradient on it called peachy sky set on multiply and 75% opac. I do a drop shadow to make it a little crisper, and an outer glow again gradient called carribean sun which is much more red orange set to overlay. I set the text on "Bella" to gradient one way and reverse it on "Noire" and reduce the size for bdsm.

Now it's looking pretty but it's missing......something. I liked the effect of contrast of hair and hate covering it but it feels incomplete so I cruise through my stash of art. I found one that was a rl pic of a pretty gal with the right colored hair and facial structure wearing a silver wire filigree high collar, but the lighting on it is too blue and I give up trying to make it "fit" and look again til I find this gorgeous pic of a devilish angel that appeals to me for some reason /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif The blues and golds add a nice contrast and the hair shades down into the color scheme and I know we have a winner*grins* I add her in and move it around, trying to decide where it looks best and resize it to compromise how much I want to show vs the clarity of what can be seen. I erase some wing portions, and then use my smudge tool to blend the feathers a bit so the erased edges don't show and it flows into the other parts of the piece like connecting her hair to the originals in background. I add in my little Administratrix text and play with the size of it and try placing the text in different places til I am satisfied.
I finally feel like it is done, and ask a few friends for feedback(thanks Vio, Trillian, and Pluffy!). I save it for web and adjust the scale to permit me the best quality I can get under the 35k line, usually find it's about 65%.
I then write this big ass post and hope someone got something useful out of it, and show off my newest sig below. Hope you folks like it!
*bows*

B

BobMcForge

Lyra, that center pic behind the white was just the thing. I love it!

Bella, thanks for the walk through. You should consider making a permanent sig tutorial to reside on the stratics site somewhere. This provide some great insight into the process.

Bob McDeath
Sul Bakara

L

Lyra Morningstar

Thank you very much for your detailled description how you make a sig. It is really helpful and has lots of great information.
*copies her description to be always able to read it and it won't vanish*
And your sig is really wonderful, I like it very much. Thank you that you shared how you made it
*smiles*

H

Hawke

These are really great sigs - and thank you Bella for the tutorial!

What I want to know is - where do you get the free/non-copyrighted art of the faces and such?

Thanks!

-Hawke

S

Sloan

I love making sigs..it appeals to my maticulous nature..err is that my ocd nature (obsessive compulsive disorder /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif )
I made my own and several others....Canute's sig is my masterpiece though

some other sigs i have also made are

B

BobMcForge

Yeah, I enjoy making sigs myself, though the artistic merit is nowhere near Sloan level....

Here are a few of mine:

Oh, and my current sig is one of mine. Again, not hugely arty, but very fun to make.

S

Sloan

why thank you Bob...yours are nice too...i really like the flaeme - oasis refugee one

H

Hawke

Where ARE you guys getting this beautiful artwork? I would really like to make a sig, too...

-Hawke

B

BobMcForge

Wow, I didn't realize you made all those.

It's kinda neat to see so many familiar sigs and realize which ones come from a common source.

Bob

S

Sloan

yeah there is definitely a difference in styles...but they are all awesome....very impressive work guys /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

L

Lexi

Heh, mine is probably just a work in progress until I come up with something that looks remotely good :p

C

Crem

I coulda be doing with a new sig now Im not a thief - anyone up for it?

G

If we are showing off sigs.

I'm going to make the good ones from above look even better when compaired to my crappy work but here goes

N

nascent

Here are my modest attempts at sigs. I don't seem to get very crisp fonts, but this is probably because unix isn't that great at anti-aliasing TTFs ...

I guess I'll have to make a new one since I have a new char on siege /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wobble.gif

S

Sloan

you guys are very talented...i'm still new to making sigs...and seeing all these helps give me new ideas....thanks to everyone who shared thier art...well done /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

G

HONESTLY who really gives a about making a sig

?

seriously, its not hard to do, im just curious.

S

Subishi

Hmmm yeah, I notice you've got a really nice sig, since it's so easy ...... Ohhhh wait, no you don't, I guess I'm just being blonde again, silly me!

S

Sloan

some of the sigs i have made have taken up to 12 hours to make....maybe its easy for you....would like to see some of your designs and how detailed they are.....no offense intended....but i put alot thought into some of my sigs...may not be a big deal to you...but its nice to make a sig that fits the person as well as the character

D

d0nkey

If you dont care about sigs, dont read a post that says "I tried a new Signature, what do you now think?"

M

Mahlyss

Bella, the tutorial was awesome... I had to do some searching to find it again after so many months, but it was totally worth the effort... spent the whole afternoon putting together my first sig, I couldn't have done it without ya, thanks!

D

Deachia

Yes, sigs can be very time consuming. You did a very nice job on your first sig Mahlyss /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

*grins and fades away*

G

Hey Siege Personalities,

Perhaps one of you great Siggy folks would like to take on the Signature of Pyrite, DTA Mistress?

I have it on good authority that she is interested in getting one....

If you think you can take on the Legend and do her justice than I am interested in seeing what can be come up with. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

M

Mahlyss

whipped this one up for my girlfriend /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif not quite sure I'm done yet... see what kinda text she wants added in I suppose.

M

Mahlyss

a few people have been messaging me and asking how to make sigs and what programs to use... so far the tutorial by Bella Noire is the best I've seen, just follow the instructions and you're set. I've got a few more sigs I'll post here shortly, just want to keep this thread alive. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

V

Vampyre Xav'ier

Mahlyss,
Your signatures are truly beautiful. I can't decide which one I like best. I cannot wait to see more of your work. I would love an elaborate signature but I have not a clue as to how to create them. I do not have any fancy photo programs or my own web page to host it. So for now I will just be envious.

M

Mahlyss

got one on the way Mr Xav'ier, should be done in a couple days, trying to hunt down some nice clip art that you requested.
and, thanks! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

how's this look Xav'ier?

V

Vampyre Xav'ier

Very nice. Just awesome really. Exactly what I had in mind. Thank you very much.

N

nascent

Hey, you scored a nice sig /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

H

Hawkeye

Toria made mine and my GF sigs. Very good work I must say.

<center>
</center>