• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I may be a bloodsucker but I have feelings too...

Avorion

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Am I allowed to post in this forum? I only see posts from the EM, but I'll give it a try...

I lodged a complaint in general chat tonight after the EM event where we were fighting genetically modified dragons. I went to the event on my sampire, Zirael, and was distressed to find that the dragons employed reverse life leech, that is, when I hit them they leeched life from me. If any are not familiar with the sampire template, their primary method of healing is by leeching life from their target.

So I lodged a complaint to EM Sangria in general chat, and I wanted to follow it up here. (Sangria, by the way, did well at being patient with my whining.) I was told that nearly all the special monsters they spawn at events do not allow life leech, and that it was to make them harder. I object to this on two counts:

1. To a vast majority of the characters there—mages, archers, throwers, tamers, traditional dexers, etc. —anti-life leech makes no difference whatsoever. It's not harder for them in any way, in fact, they wouldn't even have known about it.

2. To a sampire or other life-leeching class, the fight becomes nearly impossible. So in "making them harder," what is really accomplished is that most classes don't even notice, but the life-leechers might as well not even come. I don't see how this is beneficial to shard-wide events.

Now to address some of the options given to me by Sangria and other players in general chat. Basically they talked about workarounds, like partnering with another player to heal me, not using vamp form, using potions, using chiv heal, using confidence, etc. I’m aware of these options, and I even tried going out of vamp form and using confidence, but it's not very effective.

In fact, for the sake of time, I'm not going to go into all of these options and the specifics on why they don't work well. (Though if you dare ask, I can tell you more about it than you'd ever want to know... :bdh: ) Most everybody should be able to see, however, that these are all secondary healing methods. They have their place, but are poor substitutes for a character designed to leech life.

Ah, but this is where that whole "making the monsters harder" part comes in, right? I need to suck it up and adapt? That would be true, except that I'm not complaining about it being harder for sampires. This is very important, so let me say it again in bold squiggly writing: I'm not complaining about it being harder for sampires. I'm complaining about it being harder ONLY for sampires (and the couple of other life-leeching classes.) If these event monsters also turned Grater Heal into Flamestrike, Cleansing Winds into Hailstorm, and Bandages into Greater Explosion Potions (all targeted at the user, of course) then I wouldn’t be complaining at all. Every class would be facing the same challenge as the sampire, that is, their primary healing method would instead kill them. Just tell them to drink potions.

But again, none of those classes are affected in the least by anti-life leech.

Let me end with one last point. I understand why on monsters such as Corgul, anti-life leech was put in place. If it wasn't, I could waltz out there on my sampire any time I wanted and solo Corgul, and that's not what Corgul is intended for. I have no complaint about that. But at EM events with dozens of players (at a minimum), nobody can solo anything. If there was no anti-life leech, all that would happen is my sampire would be on even footing with all the other classes as I went out there to get in a few whacks on the evil beastie.

Thanks for your time, and I hope my input will be given some consideration.

EM Sangria

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well written with very good points. :)

I love this forum since Eira and I can post here (thank you stratics!) so there can actually be a discussion.

Since our discussion in general chat, I've talked with some of the EMs from other shards to get thier thoughts. From those two discussions I'd like to try and have some of our monster bosses allow life leech and see how it goes.

Also from talking with the other EMs, it was pointed out that by putting the reward items in bags, that prevented thieves from stealing the item from the boss monster. hmmm... So here's another change I'd like to try. I'm going to start putting here and there a reward item NOT in a bag to allow thieves a chance to use their skills at EM events.

Thank you for the constructive feedback and keep it coming! :party:

Avorion

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So if I made a sampire thief, I could steal life and loot?? Now for just another couple hundred skill points per character... :drool: ;)

But seriously, thanks for giving this a try. I also didn't know about the loot-in-a-bag issue and I think your idea to allow some limited thieving is cool. One of my favorite things about UO is the complete flexibility in building any template you like, and the huge variety of character types that come from that. The more that can be usefully included in shard events, the better.