• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I made videos about common scams at UO

shootgun

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Last week a returning player in our guild got hit by one of these scams. This week he got hit by another. Talk about being unlucky.

I decided to make videos about those and share with the returning/new players in our guild. I am adding them here as well.

I will keep the videos up to train the newcomers/returning players to our guild unless Mesanna makes up a DMCA rule from her.... somewhere and takes down the videos.

Anyways, share with newcomers/returning players if you think this is useful.

In the first video, people are using description field to misrepresent items on vendor so they can scam. There used to be 1 guy doing this but now I spotted 2 different guys doing it. I know for a fact that a guildie did it as well until another guildie realized he was doing it and he got chewed violently by everyone in the guild. In time, I expect the number of people doing these kinds of scams to increase since there are no repercussions for doing so.

In the second video, there is a bot waiting at the same house, whenever you buy something worth 1m+ from the vendor the bot kills you and puts the item back to the vendor:

Enjoy!

Last edited:

mihali

Sage
What she should do with these characters, is perma-tag them as "attackable with no penalty" anywhere, including tramel, as long as there is good documentation who they are, also attackable by guards in guard-zones. A dirty trick to turn the tables on the devious. Then let us deal with this person, -anywhere- and not just in Fel. This is purposeful mislabelling done to rip off someone who will realize this after the purchase is over. Since it is not bannable by TOS, then should likely be GM jokable like this, till t he tos rules are re-defined.

shootgun

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
FYI, there is currently a guy that is placing 18x18 after every time an 18x18 becomes IDOC. He is using an exploit to place the house himself. I reported this guy before, nothing happened to him. I don't think Mesanna/devs/GMs care about the game anymore.
Just my 2 cents.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are there no fel players that could group up and kill that guy?

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I don't understand what makes it a bot. People can see your name when you buy from a vendor and if it's their house they can hide with 100% success. With some skill in stealth they're able to move around. There could of also been some chat going on before you found the vendor where you were looking for the item to give them a headsup. It could also just be a popular vendor spot.

Why'd you run into the house area to buy? You can just click the map and it will open the container with the item you want in it and stay out of the area of the house where players can 100% hide. I'm not saying it's fool proof, but this along with setting up "Return to Location" can prevent this from happening.

I'm also of the opinion that if they are scamming within the rules of the game, it's fine. There are people out there that like to play bad folk. And many great stories are made when reputations are developed over even bad things. If they aren't cheating, play on.

I'm sure killing players who buy "Cursed" items is nothing new.

FishinFool

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
I'm also of the opinion that if they are scamming within the rules of the game, it's fine. There are people out there that like to play bad folk. And many great stories are made when reputations are developed over even bad things. If they aren't cheating, play on.
Agreed. Repeating what I say about this type of thing every time it comes up, this isn't new. Frankly it's not a scam, it's a set-up and the first mistake is buying anything in fel without having a plan and an exit strategy.

All this stuff is petit larceny and con-jobs.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Hopefully, whoever did this to your friend will write a short story about how silly you and your friend are.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is your friend dyslexic? Only the only reason I can see for falling for that first one is if you can't read. The mouse over shows it most clearly says that is a scroll of provocation.