• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I just might be playing wrong...

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just received my shard shields last month and i began thinking about the time Ive played. Thats when i realized..... I dont interact with anyone. Seriously, i havnt had a conversation with anyone in game for easily years.... yes i said years!!! It's not from lack of being in game because i do log in 3-4 times a week to build a suit or maybe go wipe out dark gaurdians for a while. So basically Im anti-social in a mmorpg... Could i possibaly be the first person ever to play UO wrong??? Do others not interact with others in game??

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I just received my shard shields last month and i began thinking about the time Ive played. Thats when i realized..... I dont interact with anyone. Seriously, i havnt had a conversation with anyone in game for easily years.... yes i said years!!! It's not from lack of being in game because i do log in 3-4 times a week to build a suit or maybe go wipe out dark gaurdians for a while. So basically Im anti-social in a mmorpg... Could i possibaly be the first person ever to play UO wrong??? Do others not interact with others in game??
You aren't alone honestly. My game style is a pvper on a few servers. This play style eventually forces you in to a somewhat ant social state. I have a group of friends and guilds who I play with randomly.. But as far as meeting someone at the pub, or talking to a stranger at the bank... yea those days are pretty much gone.

The problem with being social in UO now is... We honestly don't have new people, like ever. Its the same people, same faces, same arch enemeys, same friends... and oh, this new guy is a returning vet but my bff remembers him and says hes a bad person, and 7 years ago he did this... so I'm not going to talk to him either..

The bottom line is their is too much drama and history and mini dramas over the same handful of people for 10+ years. it really makes being "social" difficult.

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Could i possibaly be the first person ever to play UO wrong???
I've always thought for a game, if you are not breaking the rules, or spoiling things for others, and are having fun with what you do - you are doing it absolutely right. Nothing else should be 'required' even if the social side of UO is what I often enjoy, there is nothing 'wrong' in doing your own thing....

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've always thought for a game, if you are not breaking the rules, or spoiling things for others, and are having fun with what you do - you are doing it absolutely right. Nothing else should be 'required' even if the social side of UO is what I often enjoy, there is nothing 'wrong' in doing your own thing....
There's a game that caters to such a crowd.. Sims Online. I always wondered how fast Trammel would clear out of EA released a Sosaria Edition.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There's a game that caters to such a crowd.. Sims Online. I always wondered how fast Trammel would clear out of EA released a Sosaria Edition.
Cant stand the sims and UO is nothing like it. I still enjoy hunting and building suits wich the sims ciuld never replicate. Think im going to join a guild. Never done that before either. Figure It may make me a little more sociable.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cant stand the sims and UO is nothing like it. I still enjoy hunting and building suits wich the sims ciuld never replicate. Think im going to join a guild. Never done that before either. Figure It may make me a little more sociable.
It was a joke. Humor. ;)

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It was a joke. Humor. ;)
It's all good. I was actually more curious if others played like this. If so maybe we could form our own guild.... Anti Socials of Sosaria... we wont do hunts together nor have meetings, however we would have a pretty kewl tag :devil:

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would put one small tweak on this. I completely agree with what you said. But I would add that developers far too often go about designing multiplayer or MMO games while listening to people who increasingly demand ever more options for "solo play." The thing about saying "support solo play options" is that it sounds great on paper, just like saying "lower taxes!" It sounds good to everyone. The problem with it is that whenever developers listen to it the game increasingly heads towards a breakdown of community and player interaction, and the need to really ever party or group or trade with other players. The players who would grind something for 4 hours to get it solo vs. spending 1 hour in a party of 4 people to get it is huge just because people seem to overexaggerate in their minds the "hassle" of getting together with other players or finding other players to do things with.

It quickly turns into situations like games like WOW where you're literally told to just solo grind your way to max level rather than bothering to find parties for levelling, or people sitting in their house in UO rapidly switching between alts who have GM everything without ever interacting with other players.

In hindsight I actually wonder if they maybe shouldn't have made it a 2 character cap for all the non-Siege/Mugen shards. That way everyone could have a combat character and a crafter, but they could not do effectually everything on one account.