• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I just can't find the design.

R

Rocklin

It's been two agonizing weeks of design, trial, TC1 builds and disappointment. I can't get the right "feel" and design for my museum. I really am starting to see how talented many of you are. I have looked at tons of screens, tons of designs and still nothing that "pops" for me. How in the hell do you guys all do this....

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's been two agonizing weeks of design, trial, TC1 builds and disappointment. I can't get the right "feel" and design for my museum. I really am starting to see how talented many of you are. I have looked at tons of screens, tons of designs and still nothing that "pops" for me. How in the hell do you guys all do this....
Not sure what you mean by "all do this".... I do what I do because I love deco and design... I'd like to help you if I could but I really don't know what it is your looking for nor what sort of look your going for exactly... So it would be hard for me to help you.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Museums I think are much harder than houses. Because you want to display items, and it can be tough to do something that is attractive but also essentially a big repository for display cases. Miss Echo did a very lovely art gallery type house a while back that was really more like what you would find in real life (IE railings and such), and I wish I could find a picture of it.

If you have just tons of rares then it will be especially tough to avoid having a big box of a house. So you'll probably just have to suck it up and try to make it a very pretty, interesting box.

Without knowing more about your collection I really couldn't say what to do. While taking pics of all those museums I saw quite a few collections where the owners did their best to integrate their items into a natural setting and therefore avoid having too many display case type areas. So cooking/cookware type rares would go in a kitchen setting, outdoorsy rares like 2 story stats or plows would go in a garden setting, etc. I think rare armor/weapons and clothing is the hardest to display, since once you start collecting it you can end up with a lot of it. You can consolidate a little bit, for example by putting a vet robe/cloak collection in a gold box and sticking that in a bedroom setting.

Of course you may not want to do the house thing at all. In which case I'd count up all the rares you have and figure out how much area you need, then try to conserve space so you can get more creative with where you put walls and staircases.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think the gallery Sarsmi was referring to, which was set up as a 'gallery', is this one: Inglewood Gallery.

My Collection is now housed in Witchwood Museum, my castle on Oceania. This castle is pure museum for display only and uses over 3200 lockdowns for display. The Museum is always open to the public and there is a rune to it located on a podium at my shop in Luna located here: The Emporium

It is set up in 'themed' areas, so eg, statues, armor, weapons, bows, peerless, scribed items, etc. All boxes are 'viewable' and are labeled for contents and where a 'date' is available the box is dated for historical purposes. So where ever you see a 'box' there is a collection of some sort inside. I have shown a sample below of a box layout. Hope this gives you some ideas!

See pics: (sorry they are large :p)

Ground Floor

First Floor

Rooftop

Sample Display Box

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On Baja, there are three very nice public museums just outside of Umbra. Two are on the "east" end just past the bridge and the other is on the "west" end, to the north of the road just after you cross the bridge.

Note: At Manticore's museum, the teleporters to the upper flowers are located under the gazas at the back of the first floor room.