• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I have Avatar issues

G

I have absolutely no idea how to say avatar, its not a word I hear spoken very often and being a brit, I'm pretty sure how I would say it, is entirely different to how most of you would pronounce it. I keep wanting to put an "i" in there somewhere.

So, how do you say avatar? Is it A-vay-tuh? AV-A-tar? A-VAT-er?

I'm thinking if I can get used to saying it, I might get used to using it

I'm kind of going for the "a-vay-tuh" in a dreamy french accent .....

Polly

G

<blockquote><hr>

I say it like Aah-vuh-tar.

[/ QUOTE ]

See I can just hear your cute NY accent in that !

Polly

G

<blockquote><hr>

I have absolutely no idea how to say avatar, its not a word I hear spoken very often and being a brit, I'm pretty sure how I would say it, is entirely different to how most of you would pronounce it. I keep wanting to put an "i" in there somewhere.

So, how do you say avatar? Is it A-vay-tuh? AV-A-tar? A-VAT-er?

I'm thinking if I can get used to saying it, I might get used to using it

I'm kind of going for the "a-vay-tuh" in a dreamy french accent .....

Polly

[/ QUOTE ]
It's pronounced "Sim" - with emphasis on the first syllable.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I say it like Aah-vuh-tar.

[/ QUOTE ]

See I can just hear your cute NY accent in that !

Polly

[/ QUOTE ]

G

<blockquote><hr>

av-uh-tahr

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, that's how I say it too. Other games have avatars, and in Yahoo IM we have avatar pics, so it's a word I thought was pretty common. Whilst it will be difficult to break the habit of using 'sim' all the time, I understand why they have to try to do it, so I'm making the attempt. I've heard some people abbreaviate it to 'avi' since that is the same number of letters to type as 'sim'.....so that might make it easier for people who are having trouble making the transition.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

av-uh-tahr

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. Its av-uh-tahr to me too.

G

ave-uh-tar

but i dont call them avatars i call them sims. Only second life people are called avatars to me lol

G

<blockquote><hr>

Other games have avatars, and in Yahoo IM we have avatar pics, so it's a word I thought was pretty common.

[/ QUOTE ]

It might be a very commonly used word on the internet, but its not a word I ever hear spoken.

Polly

G

This site has an option to hear the word pronounced. Listen
When referring to an avatar I usually say avi, I have no clue where I picked that up. It is way easier.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Other games have avatars, and in Yahoo IM we have avatar pics, so it's a word I thought was pretty common.

[/ QUOTE ]

It might be a very commonly used word on the internet, but its not a word I ever hear spoken.

Polly

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true....come to think of it even here the only time I hear it spoken is if talking to somebody in person after having read it on the net. I guess its just one of those things that is influenced by dialect. As far as written words go, it took me a while to stop correcting people from the UK and the like that would use words like 'relise' and 'customise' because never having been exposed to it before the internet I always learned those words spelled with a z instead of an s. That and adding an extra 'u' to words like "honour" and "colour". Looked so weird when I first started seeing it.....now it's 2nd nature and just a clear sign that the person is from a European country.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

Thanks Simone. I think I say it like that guy but in a higher voice and a little slower. We just don't talk that fast where I come from.

G

Cool site thanks ! Definitely not how I've been saying it !

On a side note, I got all excited thinking I could click on the french flag and hear a french version, but it was exactly the same vocalisation

Polly

G

Yep, thats how I say it, in my mind anyway lol. I dont think I've said it out loud very often. For anyone who watched Charmed there was a few episodes where the sisters battled with avatars, I think thats the first time ever heard it out loud.

G

LOL I tried the Russian version (in hope of having a giggle) and it sounds exactly the same

Anyway - when I say it, it's more like AVA-TAA *I think*

I was thinking that I'd not heard it spoken very often then remembered that my som used to be a huge fan of the Avatar (called Aang) cartoon, so I used to hear it all the time

S

Sativa L

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Polly

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true....come to think of it even here the only time I hear it spoken is if talking to somebody in person after having read it on the net. I guess its just one of those things that is influenced by dialect. As far as written words go, it took me a while to stop correcting people from the UK and the like that would use words like 'relise' and 'customise' because never having been exposed to it before the internet I always learned those words spelled with a z instead of an s. That and adding an extra 'u' to words like "honour" and "colour". Looked so weird when I first started seeing it.....now it's 2nd nature and just a clear sign that the person is from a European country.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you should say.. the person is a Non-American ? I am not European, I am Canadian. I use Favourite, Flavour, Colour, oh don't forget Centre. I never noticed the z instead of the s but it sure does explain the American vs Canadian pronouncation of the letter Z (Zee vs Zed)

G

<blockquote><hr>

It's really easy. I pronounce it as S-I-M-S

lol

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao ~ too quirky!

G

<blockquote><hr>

it's easy, just say SIM

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha that was funny when duncan said it.

G

Yep, I just say "ave-uh-tar", that word was around way back when MSN had their first chat rooms! LOL! Never really thought about it back then, LOL!!

I

imported_Armonia

The point is that a AV A Tar is not a sim. Avatars do not move about they are stationary pictures like in the game the palace. so just say S I M and that will solve everything.

T

Terra Pin

Ah (like have)-vah (same 'a' sound as first syllable)-tar

But that's the icons over to the left on message boards. In game, I have sims, I will always have sims. Sims is often used as a verb now, in my world. As in, "Honey, do you feel like simming tonight, or watching tv?"

He'd just look at me funny if I asked him if we were avataring tonight

S

slims

wow people dont know how to purnounce avatar? what is that grade 2 english?

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]wow people dont know how to spell PRONOUNCE? What is that grade 1 spelling?

I

imported_Mavric

I want EA to change it avator; sounds like a spaceman or something.

Mavric

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]wow people dont know how to spell PRONOUNCE? What is that grade 1 spelling?

[/ QUOTE ]

How Ironic.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow! People don't know know to capitalize and use punctuation? What is that? Grade 7 English?

Wheeee! This is fun - okokok - now, somebody do me....

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow! People don't know know to capitalize and use punctuation? What is that? Grade 7 English?

[/ QUOTE ]Wow! People don't know when a joke has been overkilled? What is that? Amateur hour at the Apollo? lol

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

*does Donovan*

umm. O.

you didn't put spaces between your ok's thats a no no.

MY TURN.

TPBM.

G

I created a sim named Ava-Tar. It will take me a loooooong time (if ever) to adjust to avatar (any pronunciation), as you can tell by my original comment.

G

Wow. 5th grade? Guess they lowered teaching standards then... lol

I

imported_eggchick7

Polly, being a Brit like myself you should know it's actually pronounced 'Avartarrrrr' as in 'Ooh arrr Jim lad!' :p

G

<blockquote><hr>

now, somebody do me....

[/ QUOTE ]I'll pass.

C

coyoteee

<blockquote><hr>

This site has an option to hear the word pronounced. Listen
When referring to an avatar I usually say avi, I have no clue where I picked that up. It is way easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

So is that ay-vee or ah-vee?

*grin*

~Coy

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

now, somebody do me....

[/ QUOTE ]I'll pass.

[/ QUOTE ]
You have a dirty mind.

I like you!

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

now, somebody do me....

[/ QUOTE ]I'll pass.

[/ QUOTE ]
You have a dirty mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

now, somebody do me....

[/ QUOTE ]I'll pass.

I like you!

[/ QUOTE ]

I love reading these threads...you guys kill me.