• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I don't think I can play this game anymore...

TheVampster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought I was doing good. It just doesn't interest me right now. I hate to get rid of my house or let it fall (i'd rather sell it to someone) but I hate paying for a game that I don't play. When I got my new computer, UO plays like crap. The graphics are all messed up, glitchy. Other games do that too, but I've found settings and ways around it so it won't do that to those games. I've read that some other people have the same problem. I think it has to do with the new end graphics cards, Directx 11, or Windows 7... or all of the above. I can still play UO on my gf's computer though. That's not the problem. Now that spring is here, I have so much stuff to do around here, it's crazy. Probably shouldn't be wasting it on playing video games. I'm sure everybody has been there before.

Maybe I should try making a character on Atlantic and see how it goes.

I have been playing DDO and got back into Wow and play Xbox games (MW3, Skyrim, among others) and Steam games (and a few offline PC games). That doesn't leave a whole lot of time for UO. I hate having to pick and choose sometimes, but UO is near the bottom.

If somebody is interested in buying the Krabshack, let me know. Most of the furnishings will be included. Anything that I can't stick in my bank box or on my characters. I'm not sure if I want to do this yet, not sure if anybody would be even remotely interested. It is a nice house I think. I hate to let it go but would hate it worse if I just let it fall.

I love LA and UO. Thanks to everybody that helped me when I came back. The events were fun.

Who knows? Maybe one day when I'm bored, I will sit down and play.

keel

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you're on your last leg, mate, might as well give Atlantic a try. Maybe the increased player base will spark your interest, and if not...well, you were quitting anyway, right?

Arrgh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you're on your last leg, mate, might as well give Atlantic a try. Maybe the increased player base will spark your interest, and if not...well, you were quitting anyway, right?

^ This. Seriously being around more people seemed to help me become interested again. I still play L.A., and a couple of other shards with medium populations but the Atl server seems pretty interesting due to the population. There's always more action in chat (and everywhere else) than just people ragging each other. I don't mind people ragging each other btw, just on LA after everyone is done w/pvp for the afternoon it's nothing but crickets in the background...not to mention, you can find whatever you want or need (or don't need) on some of the other shards, sometimes for a lot, lot less. There's nothing that makes ya want to stay here when you buy something off a vendor and go back the next day to buy the exact same item to find it has been inflated 80% thanks to greed. :dunce:

Anyway, maybe a little more "life" will add some excitement back into the game?

I've seriously debated packing all up and moving to a diff shard. Good luck wherever or whatever you decide to do.

El of LA

Babbling Loonie
Reporter
Professional
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Hate to see you go Vampster, but I do understand having just returned from a hiatus myself. Personally I find the Europa shard totally engaging. It has a much higher population some different activities and it kept me in the game at a lower level for a time. I split my time between the shards now, and I do love the higher population which I would say is the only 'downer' about LA. It is rewarding on europa because people actually buy your stuff! Anyway, good luck on a new shard or on your hiatus whichever you do! You know you always can return and talk to us here!

-- El.

Arrgh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As an after thought, I wasn't trying to be a hater on any merchants, some of the shops are excellent. Seems like Mars, the old KOL shop, a few others and coughcrabshackcough are doing well and being reasonable...I was thinking of GL's. Can't decide if I'm going senile or just losing my mind naturally. o_O

TheVampster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the replies. You guys are good sports. I tried not to sound too whiney, and I apologize if I did. The Krabshack is pretty neglected atm. I want to get back out there and mine and stock, fill some bods, GM my inscription, Alchemy, and Carp... I can take my BS to 120 thanks to a special friend that's been around a long time on LA. I was kinda working on tailoring but I'd rather smith. I'd like to level my LJ and fishing along with my cooking also. Take my paladin out and hunt and possibly my archer to raise some combat skills. Do some quests and get some bags and trans powder. Grow some more plants cause they seem to sell pretty good along with the resource petals.

This would have been a lot easier if I kept my old acct where I had everything GM'ed and my smithing at Legendary. Plus my paladin was a good fighter. But it was a different time back then and I really thought I would never come back to this game (around when KR came out), got tired of spending money on it and the horrible unplayable lag I was getting. But when I saw the new expansion of Stygian Abyss, I had to check it out and I liked it. The Enhanced Client was a lot better. I just remember logging in to my old house and seeing those god awful Kingdom Reborn graphics. I had everything perfect, after KR nothing looked right at all in my house. And I wasn't going to play 2D. There's nothing wrong with 2D though, I'd just rather not play it. I'm glad they fixed it. It was crazy when all you could play was 2D for a while. I was really addicted to Wow at the time and had friends in real that played and I played a lot of Counterstrike. Anyways, I just payed for my account - if I can nab gf's computer I will hop on and play. Just talking about all the stuff I want to do makes me want to play again.

I will try to make an Atlantic character. The only other server I ever played on was the Pacific server, and that's when I started playing around 2001. I came to LA when it went public to find some good housing spots. On Pac back then you were lucky to get a Fel housing spot. My friend had his house in Fel that I was friended to. That's also when you had to jump in the moongates to get to Fel. I didn't want anything to do with Pvp. I can say I never got ganked coming out of the moongate though. I think I just got lucky most of the time and timed it good.

Arrgh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the replies. You guys are good sports. I tried not to sound too whiney, and I apologize if I did. The Krabshack is pretty neglected atm. I want to get back out there and mine and stock, fill some bods, GM my inscription, Alchemy, and Carp... I can take my BS to 120 thanks to a special friend that's been around a long time on LA. I was kinda working on tailoring but I'd rather smith. I'd like to level my LJ and fishing along with my cooking also. Take my paladin out and hunt and possibly my archer to raise some combat skills. Do some quests and get some bags and trans powder. Grow some more plants cause they seem to sell pretty good along with the resource petals.

This would have been a lot easier if I kept my old acct where I had everything GM'ed and my smithing at Legendary. Plus my paladin was a good fighter. But it was a different time back then and I really thought I would never come back to this game (around when KR came out), got tired of spending money on it and the horrible unplayable lag I was getting. But when I saw the new expansion of Stygian Abyss, I had to check it out and I liked it. The Enhanced Client was a lot better. I just remember logging in to my old house and seeing those god awful Kingdom Reborn graphics. I had everything perfect, after KR nothing looked right at all in my house. And I wasn't going to play 2D. There's nothing wrong with 2D though, I'd just rather not play it. I'm glad they fixed it. It was crazy when all you could play was 2D for a while. I was really addicted to Wow at the time and had friends in real that played and I played a lot of Counterstrike. Anyways, I just payed for my account - if I can nab gf's computer I will hop on and play. Just talking about all the stuff I want to do makes me want to play again.

I will try to make an Atlantic character. The only other server I ever played on was the Pacific server, and that's when I started playing around 2001. I came to LA when it went public to find some good housing spots. On Pac back then you were lucky to get a Fel housing spot. My friend had his house in Fel that I was friended to. That's also when you had to jump in the moongates to get to Fel. I didn't want anything to do with Pvp. I can say I never got ganked coming out of the moongate though. I think I just got lucky most of the time and timed it good.

Sometimes it's good to get stuff off of your chest or mind! I think UO is like home, no matter how long I leave for another game, I always end up back here basically because people who make games these days seem to think we need cookie cutter games. I prefer sandbox games but there aren't many of those around eh?

What is it exactly about your computer that is not looking right when you login to UO? Have you tried a fresh install?

El of LA

Babbling Loonie
Reporter
Professional
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Vampster I think you've described what keeps me coming back, those thousand things I didn't accomplish the last time I was playing a lot, and this:

"Sometimes it's good to get stuff off of your chest or mind! I think UO is like home, no matter how long I leave for another game, I always end up back here basically because people who make games these days seem to think we need cookie cutter games. I prefer sandbox games but there aren't many of those around eh?"
Arrgh you really put it into words! Multi-generational sandbox. Its totally unique and the "gaming world" programmers seem to be stumbling along and using all the wrong things IMHO. They aren't even asking the right questions when they develop a game - there isn't that much thought put into it now :(. I think I would have truly just wasted away the last 15 years without this game to see me through and while I take my time off for life and its wonders, I come back to my sandy beach-box to dig my toes into it and enjoy the warmth. (Ok yea I'm getting carried away.... ooOOooo)

I hope you love Atlantic Vampster :).

TheVampster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The graphics on UO on my computer look glitchy. When I am in Luna for instance, the walls and items will disappear and re-appear really quickly. Sometimes not in the right spot. Happens at my house a bit too. When you stand in certain spots it will do it really bad. I've fixed all the other games by upping the anti-alias among other things. I do have an overclock for my card, this was causing some problems. If you set it lower it won't do it as much or not at all and seemed to help with the other games. Have to mess with some settings in the actual games, like Wow, DDO and LOTRO. UO doesn't have a lot of graphics settings to mess with. If it did, I might be able to make it stop doing it. It's a high end card with a gig of memory. Running 8 gigs of RAM and after I adjusted the memory allocation it helped with the other games. But UO does the same thing. It doesn't matter what I do. I haven't tried re-installing it but I have a feeling it won't make much of a difference. I guess I can try doing that. The only thing that would probably fix it is another graphics card I think.

No you can't have my stuff.