• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Question) How'd you choose your character name?

• Thread starter Ransom_of_BiC
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
P

Panzram

At the time I first started playing UO back in 00, 01...? Whenever T2A came out.

Anyway, I was crazy interested in the history of one of the meanest, most ruthless SOB's in the history of modern crime. Carl Panzram. I had pictures of him on the fridge, his 'serial killers' trading card stuck to my monitor and the James Woods film "Killer" on vhs. It only seemed natural that I name my first chr in UO after him.

Not that I condoned or wanted to glorify his nefarious deeds, but I found his life story so damn bizarre and morbidly funny that I couldn't resist.

My favorite quote: "The only thanks you or your kind will ever get from me for your efforts on my behalf is that I wish you all had one neck, and that I had my hands on it."

This video doesn't even scratch the surface of the abuse this guy endured while incarcerated in the early 20th century prison system. For Pete's sake, they surgically removed one of his testicles!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSj5Xf8fDaA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Panzram

Brosephine

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My first character was named Esperante Meloi, only because my older brother wouldn't let me give my character a stupid name like "Sea Monkey" or "Pepsi Girl." :thumbdown:

R

Ransom_of_BiC

At the time I first started playing UO back in 00, 01...? Whenever T2A came out.

Anyway, I was crazy interested in the history of one of the meanest, most ruthless SOB's in the history of modern crime. Carl Panzram. I had pictures of him on the fridge, his 'serial killers' trading card stuck to my monitor and the James Woods film "Killer" on vhs. It only seemed natural that I name my first chr in UO after him.

Not that I condoned or wanted to glorify his nefarious deeds, but I found his life story so damn bizarre and morbidly funny that I couldn't resist.

My favorite quote: "The only thanks you or your kind will ever get from me for your efforts on my behalf is that I wish you all had one neck, and that I had my hands on it."

This video doesn't even scratch the surface of the abuse this guy endured while incarcerated in the early 20th century prison system. For Pete's sake, they surgically removed one of his testicles!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSj5Xf8fDaA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Panzram

I'm totally googling this dude during my lunch break today.

R

Ransom_of_BiC

My first UO toon was Natalia. I went through a phase where I was I picking up every historical romance novel which was set in Russia that I could find. I was enthralled with the culture and beauty those stories brought to life. At the time, every single one of my toons sported a popular Russian name, though I took some liberties with the spelling of a few.

In time, the other characters slowly were deleted and replaced, yet Natalia stayed. As is the case with most people, my guildmembers and in game friends shortened that name to Nat. No matter what game I'm playing, no matter which character I'm on, I still go by 'Nat', ten years later. I am IRL friends with many of my guildmembers, and it's amusing when I'm at work and someone calls "Nat!" down the hall, instead of my real name. :)

I stole "Ransom" out of a historical romance novel as well. It was actually a semi-popular mans name back in the day- but I thought it rather cute and sexy for a chick toon. :)

Jordy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jordanna (my main tamer) was the name of my favorite little patient when I worked for the pediatric dentist, and I thought the name sounded very tamer-ish.

Imara was stolen from some show I watched back in the day, although I don't remember which one (Hercules,Xena, Charmed, Angel.....something like that)

Sevarb is just Braves spelled backwards. I'm a native of Georgia. GO BRAVES!

Layna is one I just sort of pulled out of the air. It ended up being the char I played the most and the name that all my gaming friends call me by, no matter what name character I play in whatever game.

I have tons of other names, but can't recall exactly where I grabbed them from.

Z

Zelda of Zed

Zelda of Zed... (and all the little Zeds) I have been asked so many times where i got this from.

When I started played way back in the day.... There use to be a saturday cartoon, and the witches name was Zelda, i know weird.. but ya dont hear it much, and she was such a cute little witch.. AND OMG NO ITS not from Nintendo... I might have played Zelda once or twice.. but its not where the name came from. LOL I just wanted to clear that up. So i had the first name.. and then came up with the of Zed. A far away land, made up in my head. Yeah i know get a life. looks at some of the posts i just read... what ever...

All the little Zeds. my kids and several of my friends when they made players they added the of Zed to their name. I always said the Zed's will rule Brit one day... :gee: lol....

Zelda...

Jordy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ohhh I forgot my crafter. I named her Axa Dent. I noticed all of the items that were "crafted by ..." and I thought it would be funny to have my gear all be crafted by Axa Dent.

R

Ransom_of_BiC

The name of my mule is Coach...I have a problem with handbags, irl.

Z

Zelda of Zed

ohhh I forgot my crafter. I named her Axa Dent. I noticed all of the items that were "crafted by ..." and I thought it would be funny to have my gear all be crafted by Axa Dent.
that is cute.. I have a dagger that was crafted by Satan Herself. Love that one.

Z...

L

longshanks

filthy phil: is a guy i know in Australia who we went out with to a disco one night and after many frosties thought it funny to dance on the dance floor with his sport coat on and nothing else... ah life in the land down under.

Hence the nickname filthy. He is a legend in my business.

Benito

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Benito is a bastardization of my last name.

The movie Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas had just come out when I started playing UO and I took the name Ahab from the bathroom scene.

Jordy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Benito, I giggle at myself every time I see your name.

There was a cartoon movie my kids loved a few years back called "Fern Gully". In the beginning of it there's this dude who works on a logging crew that says, "Finito, good buddy". Every time I read your name, this voice in my head says "Benito, good buddy."

J

Jamlyn

I wanted the first three letters of my real name to be a part of it.
Jamie is my real name. So, I took "Jam" from it.

I then wanted the last name to be similar to my real last name which is Hoffee.
So I wanted it to start with an "H". My girlfriend at the time watched a lot of anime with me, and we currently were watching the Hakkenden series.

With a little work I added the two together, and the name "Jamlyn Hakkendyn" came to be.

N

N A T A R O O

My first char was Natalie, which is my name. Everyone calls me nat... which is funny because people often confuse you and I ransom. There was another Natalie when I first started UO pre tram and everyone would confuse us as well.

My pk was Maja. I have loved the name since I was a teenager and still do. My wow names are variations of Maja. I had a cat named maja. if I ever have a daughter, she'll probably be named Maja. Not Maya, Ma - jha. :)

I was also Pheonix (yea I know it was spelled wrong... it adds pizzazz)... and a couple less played pvp and spawn chars.

icm420

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
im a habitual cannabis smoker, and one day was rolling a blunt saw the word juicy on the side of a blunt wrap wrapper, and thought that sounds like a great pker name. If i had known i'd be called that the rest of my uo time i wouldve thought about it a little bit more. lmao. I still say that a juicy mango blunt wrap is ****ing delicious. Then Huma and Tol are from a series of books, thought they was some bad ass characters and decided to try to do justice to there name. However if i went anything by the storyline of either one i am way off. So at this point they are just names and nothing more really. Ice cream man was the name of my first pker and that came about cause i thought it was funny and master p had been bumping all day. Then newp is just funny cause its short for newports and it looks like newb. lmao. basically is no reason for any of my names, it's just handles and im horrible at names. what ever is nearby or is on my mind becomes a char name.

L

longshanks

Sasha Grey is from, er well uh...

Hmm, A simple google of her name on Bing video will give you a good idea of what she's all about. Be sure to turn the safe search fitler OFF.