• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How to train Detect Hidden

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't figure out how to train this skill. I can get to 30-50 from NPC, but how do I get to GM? I got a GM Tinker and GM Carpenter. Please inform me. I checked the forums here on stratics, notta. Also, I checked uoguide, but the info. i think, is old.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can't figure out how to train this skill. I can get to 30-50 from NPC, but how do I get to GM? I got a GM Tinker and GM Carpenter. Please inform me. I checked the forums here on stratics, notta. Also, I checked uoguide, but the info. i think, is old.
by detecting hidden things like trapped boxes, another player, etc.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Basically, wander around towns and dungeons detecting traps on boxes, crates and barrels - get a crystal ball of knowledge. Jhelom is a particularly useful place for training - use the lockpick guides for locations

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Gee there happens to be an event going on that uses that skill. Head to Khaldun.

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Uoguide is spot on, method 2 make a chest and stay at the right distance then spacebar it!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
In fact, you can still find the 6 hidden boxes in Kotl City, and it's a safer place to train through use than Khaldun (though nothing is safer that training at home with a box - it's just boring and unprofitable). I stockpiled 20+ of the pieces needed for activating the city or the Zipactriotl quest training from 60 to 80 in Kotl city, and looted thousands of gems.

TheGrimReefer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Detect hidden can be trained anywhere, even in you own home. Get some trapped boxes and use detect hidden on them while they are in your pack. Once you get to 80 or so, lock the box down on floor and step 3 tiles away. For every 5-7 points after 80, take an additional step until u reach GM. should only take a few hours.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Detect hidden can be trained anywhere, even in you own home. Get some trapped boxes and use detect hidden on them while they are in your pack. Once you get to 80 or so, lock the box down on floor and step 3 tiles away. For every 5-7 points after 80, take an additional step until u reach GM. should only take a few hours.
Huge cool down between use skill attempts with DH? Does it depend on Dex?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That cool-down is pretty much standard regardless of dex - or at least I've never seen dex matter. something like 9 seconds.

You can TK the khaldun and kotl hidden chests on most shards (I don't think it works on SP & Mugen), but will take 2-3 TK spells to do all the traps. Frankly, I just take the traps and hide/invis after the last one is triggered. Note that the poison traps won't reveal you if you're using orange petals and don't take damage (or resist the poison without petals), or even when taking small amounts of running poison damage if your hiding/stealth is high enough.

You only need stealing for the uber-rares (that I've still not seen one of in person). The rest you can loot - while hidden (though you have to re-hide after clearing the traps one way or another)

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
If you're starting from zero get a low skill crafter to make one trapped box and a GM skill crafter to make a second trap box. If you're starting from 50 you won't need the low skill trap box.

Method #1: Put the box in your pack and macro detect to your spacebar, it will gain over time.

Method #2: Lock the trap box on the floor of your house, get a skill ball and stand next to the box. Check the skill ball and move away from the box until it says you're in the optimal range. Every 10 skill points or so you'll need to move further away from it to keep gaining.

The way the skill works now you need to control which box it can detect by putting the others away. You don't want multiple chests on the ground or in your pack or it will randomly detect the wrong one. The days of stacking 500 boxes and getting mad gains are gone, sadly.

Method #3: Buy the pinks, they aren't in high demand and so can regularly be found cheaply.