• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How to steal in trammel

S

ShadowJack

I wasn't going to post it, because I didn't want it changed, but screw it.

When I play I'll join the biggest guild on the shard (like 200 members or more) then I'll just find where they hang out and use my disguise kit. I've stolen a lot of good items this way, and if you use the disguise kit again right after the steal then I don't think they can find the char name in the guild charter. It messes the macros up, but you get a few peices of candy here and there.

Especially if they're standing at the bank with 20 ps in the pack and not attended

S

ShadowJack

it never went away lol

same tricks different game

I finally posted it because I really would like to see insurance go out of fel. If it did, then I think the way to steal in trammel should be fixed and balancing the game even more.

See all of you non thief people. We don't want to steal everything you ever owned, we just want to play.

It's funny to me you can steal better in trammel than fel now *guffaws*

When the uhall people start posting on this thread, I wish otto and the theafers could be here to reply lol

S

ShadowJack

You have to be smart. use the disguse kit to change your name, then advertise you are buying something that isn't blesssed or insurable, like cursed artifacts and powerscrolls

adverstise that you are buying the item and when someone bites, tell them to meet you somewhere.

Change your name again if you feel like it just to have the element of suprise, then meet them there and steal the item. When you get away, change your name again.

The key is not letting people know your main char's name, so you can't be kicked out of the guild. They may know that reebdog stole the powerscroll, but they woudln't know shadowjack.

You can always join with a good pvm char or crafter and use the soulstones to move your stealing skills over and back.

if you become a good enough, you can use myuo to your advantage, by saying "how could I be a thief, look at my skills"

It's easy, and played right you wont get caught.

I've stolen enough cursed items to consider them worthless

DaveSP!

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried doing that once, but the guild i joined ended up consisting of two other guys that had just joined the game, i felt that guilty about it i confessed gave their stuff back and gave them some pointers on how to avoid people like me

I'm such a p***y :(

S

ShadowJack

I do that too, and it makes me feel really sad at the thief class.

But sometimes I remind myself that this is just a game, and it's pixles that can be found again, and if the person is loaded then I'd take it

and resell it for half or a quarter worth

I always dump my stuff at the bank, I'm a thief, what do I need items for.

I just sell to get things I need, like scrolls and such. On big scores I can get a nice house or some nice toy for one of my fighters.

I consider housing one of the final goals. If you can get a castle in a really good spot with a thief, then you're playing end game stuff. I've never had more than a tower, and pre aos never more than a large L-shape.

I never needed a house, with a thief, I could live out of my bank, and have fun with idocs

if my bank got full, I kept the good stuff and put the rest on the ground

if I needed more room for ingots and regs, or stuff for my fighters I'd put down a small house, and have some more storage and a place to log out.

Thieves don't need a home or items

If I actually tried and waited long enough, and was good with my gold, then I could by a castle with the gold made from the items put on the ground at banks and in the game. With silly gold from npc killing (just the gold) and being good with my gold, but not buying every little toy in sight.

I'm a thief, all I care about is my gold. I can sell good things at a discount, because I know I'll have them again and I don't care. I just want to go back and find the next house/persons pack that has something in it. I always want to know what's on the other side of the door.

S

ShadowJack

Another way to steal in trammel without use of the stealing skill, is to stealth inside public houses and wait for the owner to unlock items or wait for them to lock it down.

Simple right? Sometimes this can take hours. Scouting around the wilderness if you see someone sitting in the house afk, then you can stealth in and hide and wait for them to move about, but this method is iffy at best.

If they are there, run off screen and stealth back, being careful to watch the doors and teleporters, it's best if you can stealth with the person so the sounds don't alert them. If they are upstairs, then wait a resonable time and then try when you think they may be afk.

To better the odds, keep an eye on houses being sold and bought, people will move the items into and out of the house, and a good thief will pick his prize carefully.

I like to wait on things like chargers, statues, or chests

the chests are grab bags, most of the time full of worthless junk too heavy to carry (then you have to "hop" it to the bank. BUT sometimes you will find a chest with tens of millions in items and rares. These are the scores that make it all worth while.

If you do get a big score, see how fast it takes you to sell it at luna bank, sitting there with something forever doesn't help the thief playstyle, unless it's something you really like as a pretty. Just dump it for some quick change, and it's back to the hunt!

S

ShadowJack

A third way, along with the guild way, is to wait until you get friended at guild houses and then loot them dry. Sounds pretty crappy doesn't it? Well, you're a thief, this isn't real life, and your marks will learn to be careful about who they guild in the future. It only takes once to teach a player not to get burned again.

Sometimes you can get really really good items, sometimes you just loot it for a lession and head your way.

I'm usually honest with these people. Before joining the guild I'll tell them I'm a thief, and they think nothing of it, until all the items are gone.. Then when they freak out, just say, I told you I was a thief...fair well.

Bad attitude can ruin the thief class. Someone that rps the char or keeps his mouth shut make better thieves than the ones who trash talk and belittle. You're already taking the items, no need to insult them as well.

Stay in the shadows and after you strike fade back into them. Some people are dense and don't get a clue. These people with subtle changes in profile, clothes, and behavior can be lured more than once with help of the disguise kit.

remember you aren't there to run them out of the game, you're just there to steal.

S

ShadowJack

Another oldie but goodie, is to use your vendor to steal for you. This method doesn't work all of the time, but sometimes it does

Take a small item that sells for like 10k (remember if you're selling it for 10k, it's probably worth 20k) then put them in stacks and number one in the stack with an extra 0 or two

most people are so rich, when they see a great deal, they'll start buying the whole stack one item at a time, and if they don't pay attention instead of 10k they'll be paying 100k or a million.

Don't feel bad about this method, if they don't have the gold, then it wont let them lose it.

If you want morality, then find it in letting the small marks go. And by following the thief code at the top of this forum.

The goal isn't to get rich or to grief, it's to steal. In these civilized times, the good thief has to be clever, and branch out from the normal, unless you want to sit at Yew gate stealing bolas and orange petals, then you have to get creative

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL, I prefer to use other vendors for this. Since there are so few on siege, the vendors are on my daily mark hunt locations. I haven't had any luck with my vendor at my tower, even though it can be used when people visit Cove and can stay in the guard zone...besides on Siege, the vendors charge 3 times the amount to keep items in them as the production shards do...la

S

ShadowJack

Oh, and with the guild stealing, you can do powerscroll runs with them, and usually get 2 or 3 and they don't even notice they got one.

You can go to luna bank and find several afk people just sitting there if you join a huge guild.

A good trammel thief is pretty much a trammel spy/espionage type char

It may mess up guild alliances and whatnot, but then they'll figure out security, or maybe learn to use forensics

don't be ruled by out of char emotions, one thing to always keep in mind is it's just a game

and always follow Thief code #9

S

ShadowJack

You can put down a small house plot on a peice of land that will hold a much larger house spot (not leaving room for 2 houses on said plot) and sell the house

When the person notices they can put a much larger house there, you can be hidden and wait for the redeed, and place over top of them, and be able to sell that house more than once.

also you can offer to buy a house from someone for a crazy amount of gold and wait for them to start unlocking the items to move out

or sell a house and wait for them to move in

I usually will stay in the grass until I can be sure that they have already used detect hidden (which after this post, I think will come back instyle again)

S

ShadowJack

Often most, harder marks will hate your class even more. They are people who know how to thief proof themselves and yet still hate.

They sometimes will never be stolen from, but if you manage it, you usually will have a chance of making an in game episode, as these people become furious and lose thier cool

A real thief doesn't page a game master on people, he takes screenshots of them being an ass, and posts it for people to laugh at.

The game masters are busy, and you thief have no wish to draw the attention of the higher powers to yourself. Prefering instead to stay in the shadows.

C

Coppelia

And to loot blue corpses in Trammel :
- Get someone killed near a looting mob (the harder part)
- Lure the mob near the corpse
- Peace the mob
The mob loots the blue corpse
- Kill the mob
- Loot! (you may have to wait the instanced parts open for everyone)

L

Lord Kynd

- Peace the mob
- Kill the mob
and also players...
if you do fall for this form of griefing
you can always go to the thing that looted you before it becomes public to loot by everyone and loot your items back...
this does not include gold however.

now...

shame on you for telling people how to grief players.

L

Lord Kynd

- Peace the mob
- Kill the mob

if someone does this page a GM on them for harrasment/griefing

L

Lord Kynd

When I play I'll join the biggest guild on the shard (like 200 members or more) then I'll just find where they hang out and use my disguise kit. I've stolen a lot of good items this way, and if you use the disguise kit again right after the steal then I don't think they can find the char name in the guild charter. It messes the macros up, but you get a few peices of candy here and there.

Especially if they're standing at the bank with 20 ps in the pack and not attended

people like you give guilds bad rep's, and is definitly not what most players want happening in there guild's.

S

ShadowJack

- Peace the mob
- Kill the mob
Gotta do that without luring (for the new playes, Luring is when you have monsters follow you to another player causing them death and grief, this is considered illegal in trammel)

I do make exceptions for people who are scripting unattended. (scripting is running an illegal program that plays the game for you, these people can be id'd by in game charateristics, such as no response, stuck movements, and etc... the highest form of cheating)

S

ShadowJack

people like you give guilds bad rep's, and is definitly not what most players want happening in there guild's.
then give us fel

otherwise the thief will have to play a spy espionage gamestyle

This isn't illegal, and I don't want anyone breaking the rules. I think it's crappy myself

Why do you think I'm lobbying for no insurance in fel, and pointing this out to people.

People can learn to do it, and guilds can learn to thief proof themselves.

OORRRRRRR item insurance in fel can go, and ALL forms of stealing in trammel can stop.

That's what I'm for.

I like trammel players, I have a lot of friends that wouldn't even come to fel to camp an idoc that didn't have anyone there for 3 hours. This watered down fel is lame.

I was just showing that Trammel ISN'T that safe, like it's supposed to be, and FEL is TOO safe, unlike how it should be.

and always see thief code 9 (gonna have to reference it in my sig I guess)

C

Coppelia

Gotta do that without luring (for the new playes, Luring is when you have monsters follow you to another player causing them death and grief, this is considered illegal in trammel)
That's without luring as "bringing mobs to kill the other guy", but just assuring you the mob that already killed the player is above the corpse. Of course it's not by purpose, it's a dangerous mob, it killed someone!

If you don't want this to happen :
- go back to your corpse fast, as always.
- break devs knees for letting looting mobs in Trammel in such a bugged game.

S

ShadowJack

yeah I wasn't saying it was an invalid method, but rather it's borderline on how a gm will see it.

if they even decide to help at all, then you could be banned without even having a fair trial or the gm looking into it.

now if they die and get looted by the npc then by all means kill it and loot :p

C

Coppelia

If you do it properly the player won't necessarily know it. So he won't page. He's gonna run around "where is my [not insured item]!?", and kill a few mobs in hope to find it or just gather what he's left and go home.
Of course it's borderline. Of course a GM can ban you for that, they don't have a clue to what's bannable and what's not, so a whining player could convince them. But they could very well also not do anything for the same reason.

We're not talking about the ethics of it, are we? This thread is about how to steal in Trammel when Trammel is presented as the thief-proof facet. Obviously there's something wrong, but is it the topic?

S

ShadowJack

I was just warning people new to the profession that there is a chance you could get banned for luring.

it's a funny game now-a-days

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is for all of you, except Lord Kynd, and Dave who gets a cookie for being guilt ridden into confessing his evil deeds.

:twak:

-Skylark

P.S. extra one for Rico :twak:

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not if I steal your tinker tools...la
I keep an emergency set of tinker tools in my bank box (true story).

You simply can't stop me!

I can buy more tinker's tools from NPC...they have an endless supply.

If I run out of gold, I will simply smite mongbats to get more...there is an endless supply.

I can mine ore to get more ingots to make more tools...there is an endless supply.

You will be worn down to a shadow of your former self trying to keep a frying pan out of my reach! Kind of sad to think about really, the pathetic husk of a thief that will be left.

:D

-Skylark

U

UltimaSword

Personally I go for less known guilds. I mean if I get in a big one then awesome, more victims. It is just easier to get in smaller ones without any questions. The best is when a guild goes on a doom hunt... I was happy to get that hunters headdress without even damaging the dark father lol.

Edit: I forgot one. When people are farming they sometimes (especially since bags o sending got nerfed) drop their loot on the floor to retrieve later. That's when I stealth in lol.

B

Black magick

Pffft, I'm not worried. My weapon of choice has always been a frying pan, and the devs won't let us equip them. And I can tinker them up as fast as you can steal them. :p

-Skylark
We are thieves, what do you expect? I mean we have the code, what more do you want?

A

Arch Magus

Just for the record..
Arch Magus does not agree with stealing from Guildies in Trammel.
If they don't want to be involved with Pvp activities, they shouldn't have to.
This type of thing gives thieves a bad/worse name.

Hit the spawns where the real tests of skill vs. skill take place.

Although, I must say there are some excellent ideas in this thread, hehe. =D

A

ayahuasca

then give us fel

otherwise the thief will have to play a spy espionage gamestyle

This isn't illegal, and I don't want anyone breaking the rules. I think it's crappy myself

Why do you think I'm lobbying for no insurance in fel, and pointing this out to people.

People can learn to do it, and guilds can learn to thief proof themselves.

OORRRRRRR item insurance in fel can go, and ALL forms of stealing in trammel can stop.

That's what I'm for.

I like trammel players, I have a lot of friends that wouldn't even come to fel to camp an idoc that didn't have anyone there for 3 hours. This watered down fel is lame.

I was just showing that Trammel ISN'T that safe, like it's supposed to be, and FEL is TOO safe, unlike how it should be.

and always see thief code 9 (gonna have to reference it in my sig I guess)
I'm curious.....

I used to play a thief on Siege. If you hate trammel/fel rule set so much, why not come to siege? There isn't any insurance, and you can steal any time and any where.