How to prevent auto-log out?

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
N

Nematode

Having RL commitment means I have at times need to recall back to Luna and afk for a short time on end, usually 10-20 mins.

I used to see those warnings saying I will log off if Im still inactive blah blah blah. Now, when I get back from a short break, my screensaver will turn my monitor off, and when I move my mouse, Ill see the game window, but without that message saying Im logged off. I can move a bit, then freeze, obviously already logged out.

Of course, Ive seen peeps hang out at Luna for hrs on hand, just sitting there, and was wondering how do you do that. Is it a simple matter of just being where there is human traffic around you? Do I have to turn off my screensaver? Im in KR, if that "helps"...

I

Inspector

if the journal keeps scrolling it somehow registers as your client being active and won't log you out. KR may be a bit different being as I don't use it but sitting at luna bank on a populated server should keep you logged in until server down.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 26, 2008
I use KR and at auctions I've been accidently logged out when afk even though the journal's been updating. Alas, I've never looked into any way to stop it from logging me out.

F

Fink

For 2D, turn on the option "show names of approaching players", it'll keep your client active. I see you're on KR though, so.. yeah.

K

Kiminality

KR might use different conditions, for timing out.

With 2D, it's not simply the journal scrolling that keeps it from timing out.
To generalise, I'd say it's probably any text that appears above an object in game, although I haven't tested the theory. Either way, speech, and the incoming names of players, keep from timing out.
Also, movement definitely does, and toggling war mode seems to stave off the time outs. Not that that helps with going afk.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 14, 2007
Pacific
there is no way in kr to switch it off
you either have to say something, or move..

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 26, 2008
You can also manipulate an object (eg: move an item in your pack)

Pickaxe Pete

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 27, 2000
Napa Valley
there is no way in kr to switch it off
you either have to say something, or move..
The easy way then, would be to make a macro to say anything you like and tape the key down. Just make sure no one else is around....

But it would be unattended macroing. (laugh)

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 26, 2008
Well, the even easier way is to simply log out if you're afk for 20 min and log back in when you get back - doesn't even require any tape :)

K

Kratos Aurion

Also depending on your systems configuration settings, a screen savor may render network services to turn off to save power (usually a default in notebooks). I've actually never had an instance at a bank where my char auto-logged. So while your computers screen savor goes up, it may disable networking devices or your LAN settings and force you to log off.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jan 5, 2001
it would be better practice to recall to your house, or an inn and log out when such commitments call.

Mark a rune in a room at an inn, in a quiet, non-faction town so that it's not likely to be affected by the current event. Then you can recall there and quit.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 14, 2007
Pacific
The easy way then, would be to make a macro to say anything you like and tape the key down. Just make sure no one else is around....

But it would be unattended macroing. (laugh)
in kr when you hold the button down it doesnt do anything untill you release it.. macros are activated on release :(

T

trammelite

create KR macro with activity-delay-activity-delay-activity-delay-activity-delay-activity-delay-activity-delay-activity-delay- etc and activate loop
20 minutes should be a no-brainer
never tried spamming sales messages and gating, but igf the standard client does not support this, try a mod