• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Lumberjacking] How to maximize return on wood talismans

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
First of all, the basics.

1. The Talismans require a tree of the appropriate wood type to be chopped.
  2. You get 50% more wood with the talisman.All of the wood will be the colored type.
  3. As the charges are fixed (effectively nullifying the elven bonus), it is actually better to chop with a human than an elf, as you don't get any extra charges from being an elf, and a human gets 17 logs a chop while wearing the talisman compared to 15 for an elf. This is because elves get 10 per chop, and humans 11 per chop. The human can carry more, as well.

Now, how to make sure you get most if not all your chops in.

1. Before claiming a talisman, go scout out places to chop. The best place for this is Eodon, as almost no one gathers resources there*, and as a result places you scouted 2-3 months ago are probably still the same now, unless they changed from your efforts.
  2. Record the coordinates of the Yew, Heartwood, Bloodwood and Frostwood trees you find in Eodon. Save them for when you get talismans.
  3. Once you have the talisman(s), take a few pack animals, and go through your catalogued trees. Chop into boards and unload as necessary. I advise using UOAssist and its ability to stack stuff at your feet, to keep from losing logs.
For example, I have two Frostwood trees in Eodon on my home shard, and was able to go through a frostwood talisman (well, 6 charges left as I type) in two chopping sessions at each tree. I found them in November, but didn't use them until tonight. Provided they don't change from the two stops, they'll probably still be there the next time I get a frostwood talisman.

* Eodon and other "Jungle Tree" areas have been notoriously hard to lumberjack in. Some swear that they can't be chopped. But, they're wrong. The issue is that targeting the trees doesn't quite work like normal trees, due to line of sight and/or the graphics not lining up with the targetable areas as cleanly as older trees. The secret to chopping on these trees is to find a place on them that gives the message that it is "too far away" from a distance greater than normal chopping distance, then closing to normal chopping distance and using a macro for "last object"/"last target". More direct macros may work for EC, but I've not tried, as the CC works better in this regard.