• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Parry] How Often Does Parry Come Into Play?

• Thread starter Connor_Graham
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
C

Connor_Graham

I need to know something for the template I'm trying to tweak, and need the help of those of you that don't mind the math behind UO and combat.

I need to know:

What is the actual percentage that Parry comes into play with a character that has 120 Wep skill, 120 Bushido, 120 Parry, and 35 DCI (max with Assassin suit)? In other words, how often does the combat check actually get to the point of checking Parry to see if you get hit?

Also, where in the mix does DCI/HCI come in? Is it before or after Parry (for DCI), and is it simply a part of the wep skill, meaning if you have a 50% chance to hit, and have 45 HCI, does that make it 95% chance to hit? I've never paid much attention to the order of things and pretty much just knew I had to have certain things.

I'll check back on this in the morning as I'm calling it a night now.

Thanks to all!

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
FORMULA: Hit Chance% = ( ( [Attacker's Combat Ability + 20] * [100% + Attacker's Hit Chance Increase] ) divided by
( [Defender's Combat Ability + 20] * [100% + Defender's Defense Chance Increase] * 2 ) ) * 100
Minimum hit Chance% is 2% at all times.

Then parry is calculated only if a hit is scored.

So if you have 120 skill, your opponent has 120 skill, you have 35% DCI and 50% HCI (30% + HLD) then you have a 72% chance of hitting him.
He has a 37% chance of hitting you.

After that, with a one handed weapon, you parry 35% of the time.
With a two handed weapon, it's 40%.

So the chance of him hitting you is about 22% total if you are using a two handed weapon and 24% chance of hitting you if you use a one handed weapon.

O

Old Man of UO

I think Connor is talking about PvM, but he didn't say. IF you are talking about PvP don't forget that HLD takes effect before the parry does... it's a separate calculation. In this case, parry will play a much bigger role.

C

Connor_Graham

Yes, I was talking about PvM. Thanks Farsight, that answered my question completely. I can see some testing is going to be in order.

C

Connor_Graham

Yeah, among other things. I've got a twisted idea in my head that I'm trying to get on paper. I haven't had too much time to spend on it though, but probably will this weekend. Basically I'm trying to overpower any damage taken by adding stacking methods of healing. It sounds good in my head, but then so did getting married to my ex....

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I actually wonder when the ninjitsu mirror image deflection is taken into account in the whole process.

Or looking at it this way:
Chance of opponent hitting(same skill, 35 DCI) = 37 %
Chance of parry (20 parry (JOAT)/120 bushido) = 10% (5% for no JOAT)

Total at this point is 33.3% chance of being hit.

Now is the deflection chance calculated after the parry? Or is it calculated before everything (so a miss could also be deflected in theory)?

In either case though, it could be that having 120 ninjitsu instead of parry is better for the samurai, as long as the ninja-samurai knows what he's doing.

Hrmm, I think I may just have to try that.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think Connor is talking about PvM, but he didn't say. IF you are talking about PvP don't forget that HLD takes effect before the parry does... it's a separate calculation. In this case, parry will play a much bigger role.
HLD is not a separate calculation. It's part of the "Hit Chance" calculation shown above. I must also mention that HLD doesn't give the attacker more HCI; it just reduces the defender's DCI.

It's also the same in either PvM or PvP. The calculations are all the same for both attacking/defending and parry.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I actually wonder when the ninjitsu mirror image deflection is taken into account in the whole process.
Last time I checked, Mirror Image only affects damage. It doesn't effect the chance to hit or parry.

Has something changed? Is there a link to the change?