• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How often do you do any sort of ship combat whatsoever?

When did you most recently engage in ship combat?

• I do ship combat almost every day.

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • I have done ship combat within the last week.

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • I have done ship combat within the last two weeks.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • I have done ship combat within the last month.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I have done ship combat within the last two months.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I have never done ship combat.

Votes: 26 52.0%

• Total voters

Skrag

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Similar to Hawkeye's thread, except his was speaking exclusively of PVP ship combat. In this thread, I want to know how often you do any sort of High Seas ship-to-ship combat at all. Whatever your answer, I'd also like to see the reason for it if you feel like posting it.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not often it is booring ;) and what i need to do it is too much!

Nevertheless it can be fun doing it.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Never, I looked at the amount of crafting it takes just to get ready for it and I was like lolnothx

yars

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
you only wnet back 2 months so i voted never, i did some comabt right around the addition of more saltpeter vendors, then i stopped, its too much of a hassle for 1-2 people and like mentioned above the crafting and repairs are tedious beyond whats needed

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not as much as I'd like.

It's fun for me (apparantly not to others, but fun for me for sure), but the resource investment makes sure that every trip ends on a loss.

And I don't have resources to invest on the shard I'm currently playing.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Boats:
- Saltpeter is way too hard to come by in the quantities needed. The mining option has NOT solved the problem. Return vendors to every dock.
- Cost of heavy cannon shot (seriously, nobody I know uses light)
- Time to make cannon shot
- Obscene repair costs compared to how easily the things take damage
- The click-heavy nature of the multiple-step cannon firing routine, and how easy it is to screw up of multiple people are working the same cannon. (This should be streamlines to TWO clicks, with the same amount of 'time' as it is now. First click to start/select ammo, second click to fire)

Pirates:
- Bugginess of the pirate quest with regards to partys
- 10-15 mins of down time while traveling between the Sea Market and the ONLY pirate area
- Pirates aren't hard, but why so many hit points? Why aren't they discordable?
- General crappiness of the pirate ship/crew loot. Resources are nice, but really, most people leave a lot of them. The booze is cute, but the fish steaks are near useless.
- Randomly turn invulnerable in Trammel
- The reward for the pirate quest is PATHETIC. 10k split amongst a party won't pay for even 1/8th the resources expended. The cannon ball rewards are STILL BUGGED, meaning you ONLY get light flame.

Merchants:
- Better loot then the pirate ships by far. WHY?
- They still fire at you when the crew is dead
- Can be ridiculously hard to locate

Aside from people wanting to get an orc ship, a white tub, or farm the booze/fish steaks, there is NO reason to be out on a boat besides fishing/traveling to Corgul.

Nothing to see on the water, nothing else to do. And honestly, why engage in an activity where you will only lose money in the long run?

F

Fayled Dhreams

*ahem*
There were "seas" in the beginning of UO ...
And I would occasionally join a group or sail out "on my own" to visit the islands and other lands.
Always ready for combat ... I'm an adventurer, not a "tourist"(prey).

"The Ship" was more of a base camp, portable storage, if you will.
On my adventures I was confronted with all manner of "opponents" ...
Brigands round buc's Den, Savages abound, Monsters and other Denizens of the shard ...
Not to mention some of the Terrors of the deep High Seas ...

*shrugs*

That I am usually found on land ... merely belies My Skill's as a Merchant Marine ...

UhRah!

What of you civilian?:mf_prop: writing a book? :danceb:

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've found it to be a good source of the fancy woods my logger very rarely gets and a good source of barbed leather.

I typically go after the merchant ships with light cannon to make the hard to get saltpeter go farther. Even with a 1260 luck suit boosted to 1810 luck with the 10th Year Anniversary Statue for the first hour, over three hours of ocean cliff mining north of Minoc only gets me enough for 25 to 35 heavy cannon shots.

I'll soon be into my last two 60k commodity deeds of saltpeter from the 19 alchemist days. About 196 scuttling with heavy cannon fire. About 30% (?) more just using light cannons. After it's gone, I'll be limited to 4 or 5 a week by the lack of saltpeter and will probably just start selling it to the vendor at Sea Market and pack away the ships.

P

PuddyMae

We have been going out once a week when a group can get together to do the pirate quests. We have gotten enough pieces of orc ships to make about 5 and on our way towards another one.

We have a blast catching the pirate and try to do 2 quests when we do go out. The loot is just a part of the reason we go. Fun and friendship is had by all.

pacific cruiser

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wife and i go pirating once a week if not more.I got into the saltpeter in the begining so we was able to rack up about 50k worth before the one vendor publish came out... since then ive imbued a luck suit for my miner and she does well about 1k in saltpeter a hour mining ... when we go out we take no prisoners.. we have 4 orc ships allready and the other rewards suck now..:yell: small cannon balls most of the time....so we kill em all!!! pirates, merchants whatever is in the way or on tracking... loot the resources and sell the white cloth dye tubs and stock my new bar with cool bottles of the new pixel candy.. like previous post we like blowing things up :)

Skrag

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really want to see some of the people who were telling me "Just get some friends!" and "Quit asking for everything on a silver platter!" back in October come in here and tell me what they think now that this is a dead system. GvP? Popps? Where are you guys?

JCthebuilder chased me all the way to f13 to tell me how this BS crafting grind was a good thing and would "revive" crafting. He hasn't said much on it lately.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
... since then ive imbued a luck suit for my miner and she does well about 1k in saltpeter a hour mining ...
Where are you mining at? I made a 1260 luck suit for my Miner and use a 10th Aniversary Statue for a boost to 1810 luck for an hour. I mine the mountain coast with all the signs north of Minoc and get maybe 1200 saltpeter in three hours in huge and massive niter deposits. What spot are you mining on your shard? I'll try it on Chessie.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've crewed for a friend a couple of times, I wish I'd done it more, it's fun.

I keep toying with the idea of replacing the cannon on my fishing boat, I couldn't take on a pirate, but I wonder if I could manage one of the merchant ships or maybe one of the orc ships that don't have a pirate aboard.

A

anna anomalous

did a ton when the expansion released to compile orc ships, and again when they released the white tubs. hoping they add daily quests and newer content.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I keep toying with the idea of replacing the cannon on my fishing boat, I couldn't take on a pirate, but I wonder if I could manage one of the merchant ships or maybe one of the orc ships that don't have a pirate aboard.
Taking out a merchant ship can be done with the only saltpeter used being used to make the ship boardable by scuttling it.

Pull up beside the merchant ship and get healthbars for the entire crew, then attack them one at a time until they are all dead. Hit the still moving ship with a single cannon shot to get it to stop, then start shooting at it with a light cannon until it scuttles. A light cannon takes twice as many shots to do the job, but only 75% of the saltpeter.

Using light cannon against a pirate ship gets your ship scuttled because it only takes them half the number of shots with heavy cannon.

Be aware that any cannon pointing any direction on a merchant can hit your ship. I took on one that stopped, and parked beside the starboard stern because the only cannons the merchant had were port bow & bow. The captain stood by the port bow gun firing away in the opposite direction from my ship as I was killing the crew with Hailstorms and Nether Cyclones. The message my ship was scuttled was a bit of a surprise since I had assumed the merchant cannon shots aimed away from my ship wouldn't hurt it. I've picked off the merchant crews one at a time since then. No more mass attack spells.