• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

How Much UO Gold Do You Have?

How much GOLD (piles and checks) do you currently have on all shards and all your accounts?

• Under 1 million

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • 1 to 5 million

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • 5 to 10 million

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • 10 to 25 million

Votes: 13 9.2%
  • 25 to 50 million

Votes: 17 12.1%
  • 50 to 100 million

Votes: 9 6.4%
  • 100 to 250 million

Votes: 24 17.0%
  • 250 to 500 million

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • 500 million to 1 billion

Votes: 21 14.9%
  • 1 to 5 billion

Votes: 17 12.1%
  • 5 to 10 billion

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • 10 to 25 billion

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • 25 to 50 billion

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • 50 to 100 billion

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Over 100 billion

Votes: 7 5.0%

• Total voters

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The economy thread got me to wondering how much UO gold Stratics posters have these days. So, if you're up to it, why not pick the choice that most closely matches how much gold you have in UO currently, across all the accounts you own and all the shards where you play? I'm talking JUST your gold and not the value of anything else your characters own. Just gold piles, gold checks, and gold held by your vendors or New Magincia bazaar brokers. And if you play on Siege or Mugen, feel free to convert the value of your gold on those two shards to whatever you think it would be worth today if you traded it for gold on any other shard.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I also used to ask about source of wealth. (New gold vs traded.)

My results usually were as follows:

• Most here had a few million, then there was a VERY harsh break between those and those who had more than a few million.

• Most of the richest got it from trading rather than creating wealth.

-Galen's player

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The economy thread got me to wondering how much UO gold Stratics posters have these days. So, if you're up to it, why not pick the choice that most closely matches how much gold you have in UO currently, across all the accounts you own and all the shards where you play? I'm talking JUST your gold and not the value of anything else your characters own. Just gold piles and gold checks. And if you play on Siege or Mugen, feel free to convert the value of your gold on those two shards to whatever you think it would be worth today if you traded it for gold on any other shard.

I usually have under 2 million. Probably usually under 1 million. I happened to make a ton of money (to me) in october selling pumpkins, kits etc, and when I found a pile of advanced character tokens I had gotten years ago, that I had no use for which I sold.
So I had like 30m which is like 3 times as much as I have ever had at once. I bought a few expensive scrolls I needed, and like a million in regular gems for my crafting barrel, and I'm down to around 10m now.

Ooops.. didnt see the suggestion to convert siege value. So I have 60m rather than 10m.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In short, I own all the gold on all shards. I just lend it to other people, so they can use it as a currency.
But don't be jealous, it's a pain in the a.. to restock all NPC vendors and merchants and provide the gold for the new spawned mobs....

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
the crappy part of the economy is that it only takes a handful of very active buyers to have an endless wallet to ruin everything. I would never try to keep up with that stuff. Every time you see something that you want or you would buy, there is a small handful that always buy it no matter the cost. Years ago lots of people had a few good expensive items, now a few buy every one that comes up

Emil Ispep

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
(bear with me, hope this works... Stratics has been acting funny all day for me)

Pacific is my main server, usually have between 100 and 250m in currency across the characters, and on vendors.

-However-

I do feel you should include items in this category. I found out very early in my UO career how the economy works: Back in the day when you could buy and sell gold on eBay (2002ish) the average price was around 30$ per mil. Now from various broker sites, your looking at 100m for 30$.

Putting your gold into items, such as rares, em items and things that no longer spawn is one way to curb against this kind inflation. For example, back in my UO infancy, green mugs were spawning off of evil npc mages for St. Paddys day, and would sell for about 5k each (98-99). Now, I have no problem getting 300-500k for the same item. The same holds true for newer items, such as rubble. A rubble staircase block was 5-10m a few years ago. Saw them going for 100m+ last week at the rares fest.

This is one way to keep some gold in your pocket, and curb against inflation.

(edit)

If you count items, maybe about 5bil

Last edited:

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Across all shards and character..around 2-3bil in gold..I sell everything I ever get,loot or find..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Checked it today and was surprised that I had 10 mil on my t-hunter's bank... I still don't know how I made that much gold!
The total I have spread among 3 accounts and 20 chars is about 40 mil, all at Legends. Not enough to buy some of the high end arties that people love, but more than enough for my needs.
On the rare occasion I need some big cash for something really expensive, I drop by the Origin store, get a few forged metal tools and put them in the market for 20 mil each for the quick buck.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's not just how much gold I have but how I got it, almost all of it from t hunting and killing miasmas. I have about enough to buy a crimson cincture, if one were ever for sale on legends. On the other hand, I finally got enough Minax points to get an ibo for my sampire, and am aiming next for the minax mace and shield glasses But then I'd have to make a whole new suit to replace the tangle and prismatic lenses I've been wearing without coming up short somewhere else.. So one goal leads to another goal, which leads to another goal, which, to me, is what UO is all about - along with that constant hope that somehow you're going to be lucky this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
im not one who would talk about how much gold i have. but the poll is confusing. that is gold in the bank? just checks? not vendor gold? if so i think i probably only have about 50mil total between all my characters banks.

it would be nice if in addition to checks (which are very useful for small amounts) your bank could also simply act as a "vendor" by holding a value of your gold in number only. same as vendor would be fine 2bil. cant really make checks too much bigger tho, would be too easy to dupe larger amounts.

Last edited:

Krinkle

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I never tried to collect gold or sell much of anything. When I want something, I just work towards getting it from the source in game. For the most part, gold is pretty worthless to me except for insurance and other upkeep expenses.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
between 600 to 750m

i have chars on shards that just have checks in the bank i never play on so i dont know exact amount.

i started buying things like name change tokens and transfer tokens and those forge metal tools tho to cut down on the amount of checks i have to store

Last edited:

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
cant really make checks too much bigger tho, would be too easy to dupe larger amounts.

if you can dupe 1m checks what is really the difference?

besides since the system can detect duped items and not let you vendor them, why cant it detect duped checks and not let you cash them.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if you can dupe 1m checks what is really the difference?

besides since the system can detect duped items and not let you vendor them, why cant it detect duped checks and not let you cash them.
its not worth a dupers time to dupe something for a few mil. if you had a backpack full of 100mil checks, well you can see where that could lead.
its rumored that gold "disappearing" (claiming 100mil off your vendor and bank box is still empty) has something to do with duped gold. this is probably just a rumor of course (not the disappearing gold that Does happen) but could have something to do with duped gold.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
im not one who would talk about how much gold i have. but the poll is confusing. that is gold in the bank? just checks? not vendor gold? if so i think i probably only have about 50mil total between all my characters banks.

it would be nice if in addition to checks (which are very useful for small amounts) your bank could also simply act as a "vendor" by holding a value of your gold in number only. same as vendor would be fine 2bil. cant really make checks too much bigger tho, would be too easy to dupe larger amounts.
Sorry, I didn't even think to mention gold stored on vendors, probably because I seldom set them up. I think the most I 've ever had on a vendor from selling stuff for a few months was about 600k on Siege a few years ago, but I'm sure that's just peanuts for a lot of folks.

If you have gold on vendors, definitely count it in the total of your gold for purposes of this poll. Thanks for mentioning it and I'll add it to my initial post.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mine is just a general guess, sold off a few rares, wife spent several hundred million at a rares fest. I made and sold quite a few suits.... (500mil to 1 billion)

could have more.. could have less....

T-Hunt

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Use to have 750 million , now only have 1 - 2 mill.
Purchased a castle for friend who wanted one his entire gaming UO life.
And yes some castle cost a lot , GL isent cheep.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gathering gold not being as importent was something learned before they came out with the BoS. Of course some may have forgot gold was heavier back when it was carried uphill both ways on a road. Besides what may have piled up on a vendor. Really never seen a need for more checks then can fit in one container. If I can't earn a drop or reward on my own I really don't see the need to buy it. Having short run uber useful rares around for a short time or requiring an army to battle. Why limited play timers tend to mine, fish, hunt leather and fill BODs are annoyed with no reward updates. And putting refinments in sunken chest, DOES NOT COUNT!

Last edited:

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
most of my gold creation went to outfitting my characters to the hilt. as such I don't usually have a tremendous amount of gold sitting idle.

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have 7 billion in gold and a lot more tied up in items. I live buy a rule of not buying anything i can grind out on my own. Then i sell off what i dont need/want

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm at around 90 million total on my characters on my main shard. Luckily I don't have the collector gene in me so rares have absolutely zero appeal to me. There are some things I know I'll never own that are useful (120 magery scrolls or killer suits/weapons for all my characters for example) but I was brought up with the "if you can't afford it, you don't need it" mentality. The play styles necessary to obtain such wealth are not fun for me. ;)

Alas, most of my gold was made running a small vendor shop selling armor/weapons/simple house deco before artifacts, item properties, imbuing, enhancing, and reforging came out. I've probably only added a few million to my bank since then! I'm amazed at how much things cost now, though!

-P.E.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have enough gold for Insurance and to buy a few nice things if thats needed. I rarely pay anything thats more then 1-2 million.

Last time I auctioned 4 items on out ingame event. It brought up more then 98 Million. I clearly stated that it was for the town donation. When I receieved the gold I droped it all on the town stone and even rounded it up to 100 Million. Now Jhelom on Drachenfels have enough funds to support trade deals for almost a year.

Gold means little to me, I usualy give everything away i don't use or need.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, as everybody seems not to care about gold, here is a completely different story:

I have two children, which means: NO TIME! I can´t do most of the grinds to get the items I want - so I need to buy them in many cases. I have to concentrate on the grinds that are efficient, meaning: bringing valuable items in a short period of time. These items I sell usually and with the gold, I buy the stuff I want. For example, I have no chance to get a slither or a crimmy, as it needs ALOT of time and luck to get one. But it is easy for me to get revamp-jewelry that is worth 50+ millions. So I farm about 30 min every second day and sell what I loot. And buy the slither instead of farming it. Same with most other interesting items.

Besides, I love shopping. Interestingly, most people here are not interested in gold and shopping. But I have an expensive hobby: Collecting wearables. Not rares, only nice suits, arties that fit. Optimizing my PVM-chars consumes most of my gold. A 190-Luck-Suit, for example, is not easy to make, I have no time for farming kits and I am not patient enough to try to get the best suit with reforging. Hence, I buy the pieces. Expensive... I know.

In consequence, I have always about 1 billion in cash in my vendors/bank accounts. You never know if you get the offer of your life and want to buy quickly the stuff, your heart desires. Had this many times - e.g. when somebody offered a Royal Investigator Cloak. Sometimes, shopping is like an addiction. I can´t help it.

But one thing remains true: There is nothing more thrilling, than getting the stuff dropped in your backpack. Better than any shopping success you will get.

And of course, this does not mean, that the true benefits of this game - social interaction, friendship and so on - are less worth. In contrary. But sometimes I want STUFF! And some stuff has to be paid.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
sooooo looking at the chart ....whats the average..looks like 250m to 500m is box standard bankbox

Last edited:

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
sooooo looking at the chart ....whats the average..looks like 250m to 500m is box standard bankbox
So 250 to 500 million gets 7 votes and you think thats the average? Did you attend your maths classes at School?

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
u sir cannot do the maths....... its about right...infact more closer to 1 billion......shall i show u up more and explain??

Last edited:

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
infact sod it.....ill show u up again....as always...

so lets say only 2 people vote ....one as 1m ....the other as 100 billion...whats the average....think winker think..tick tock tick tock...yes its near enough 50 billion....

u need some maths lessons for sure

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So 250 to 500 million gets 7 votes and you think thats the average? Did you attend your maths classes at School?
please keep this in general chat...you will be coming out with the '' the ya mums a xxxx'' stuff next.... no need.....no need to bring it here on my threads all the time...

Last edited:

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Winker, it's nothing to do with the percentage of vote each option got. Take those 15 votes for 500 to 1b. Now take those 17 votes for 100 to 250. They nearly cancel each other out, averaging to the 250-500 option as they do, and that's what he said - "the average", not "the most common".

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Winker, it's nothing to do with the percentage of vote each option got. Take those 15 votes for 500 to 1b. Now take those 17 votes for 100 to 250. They nearly cancel each other out, averaging to the 250-500 option as they do, and that's what he said - "the average", not "the most common".
to work out an average score you take the upper amount achievable, in this case it 100 billion, divided by amount of people participating at this point its 97, . Which i get to 1.03 billion not 250-500 million

Last edited:
Reactions: THP

Gedgerez Tesherd

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I had about 20 billion during the summer this year, but started to sponcer & gear up any new players that I felt were new on approx 5 different low pop servers that had the courage to play in Felucca. Normally I like people to find their own route, but gave it a whirl for a fast track foothold into armor/weapons/scrolls for one of their pvp spec'd toons. Long story short, I never saw about 20 of those players again, & knew it was most likely some ploy of current players just wanting to gear up a free new toon for their own endeavors instead of for mine (how dare them!). I got desperate enough to start randomly hiding pouched 1m checks ball around Felucca, in dungeons & towns, just so I could see blue players again on some servers. This also failed, so I learned money can't always buy you happiness, & ended up going mega broke, but at least I tried to do something instead of hording wealth for no reason like I formerly was doing. The things people go out of their way for sometimes are ridiculous. *looks at himself in the mirror & facepalms*

ps, I don't sponcer new players (since there most likely are non anymore) nore drop 1m checks now that I'm broke, Broker than my bad jokes. (maybe ill sell some stuff again so i don't feel so broke, shwing more pvp suits)

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had about 20 billion during the summer this year, but started to sponcer & gear up any new players that I felt were new on approx 5 different low pop servers that had the courage to play in Felucca. Normally I like people to find their own route, but gave it a whirl for a fast track foothold into armor/weapons/scrolls for one of their pvp spec'd toons. Long story short, I never saw about 20 of those players again, & knew it was most likely some ploy of current players just wanting to gear up a free new toon for their own endeavors instead of for mine (how dare them!). I got desperate enough to start randomly hiding pouched 1m checks ball around Felucca, in dungeons & towns, just so I could see blue players again on some servers. This also failed, so I learned money can't always buy you happiness, & ended up going mega broke, but at least I tried to do something instead of hording wealth for no reason like I formerly was doing. The things people go out of their way for sometimes are ridiculous. *looks at himself in the mirror & facepalms*

ps, I don't sponcer new players (since there most likely are non anymore) nore drop 1m checks now that I'm broke, Broker than my bad jokes. (maybe ill sell some stuff again so i don't feel so broke, shwing more pvp suits)
yeah i used to do the same, I used to fund the new players who came to learn PvP. PvP armor, 120 scrolls and suits can cost the new player more than they can afford.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Winker, that's a basic average of the possible *answers*, not a balanced average of the *votes*. Of course the 100 billion answer will outbalence every other answer, no matter how many votes, if all you look at is the number of people voting and the possible answers. :p

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Winker, that's a basic average of the possible *answers*, not a balanced average of the *votes*. Of course the 100 billion answer will outbalence every other answer, no matter how many votes, if all you look at is the number of people voting and the possible answers. :p
feel free to explain how you would work out the average sore on this.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
First, ignore the amounts of the answers. If 99 people stand at the bank, and have nothing, then you add one person with a hundred million gold, they all have an average of a million gold each, yet only one can spend any. That's a meaningless answer.

If you took the average of the *amounts* of the votes, as you did, then every vote for "500 to 1b" would count 2 to 5 times more than a vote for "100 to 250", and 500 to 1000 times more than the "under 1m" answer. All it would take the entirely destroy the numbers, averaging it your way, would be for a single person to vote "over 100b". You'd end up with an answer about as meaningful as saying all 100 people in that hypothetical bank had an average of 1m.

The two answers that actually mean anything would be either the mean of the answers, or the average answer. The mean might be useful, but we're looking for an average. Easy enough, and as I said, that's why 15 votes for "500 to 1b" and 17 votes for "100 to 250" nearly cancel each other out; it leaves only a surplus of 2 for "100 to 250", and points towards the "250-500" answer being the average.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
to work out an average score you take the upper amount achievable, in this case it 100 billion, divided by amount of people participating at this point its 97, . Which i get to 1.03 billion not 250-500 million
good boy.... u can do maths... like i said above its more like 1 billion average if u work out the proper average ...but u cant really do this as people with less than 1m..what is it?.. and people with more than 100b...what is it ?...the intial quote 250-500m was a simple guestimate using the cast votes and the brackets of amounts and the average indeed is 250-500m....

well done again ...*pats winker on the head* ....u can indeed do maths ...a little bit anyways.

Lesson over!!!! now go back in the corner and put ya hat on...theres a good lad

Last edited:

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
good boy.... u can do maths... like i said above its more like 1 billion average if u work out the proper average ...
No you said:

When i pulled you up on it, suddenly you change your mind, after ranting and raving.

PS. I will leave your rants and raves up there, Unlike you i dont feel the need to go crying to Petra

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Guys, stop it, please. This thread is not about your personal maths-abilities. We understand that you dont like each other. You have every right to do so, but please come back to the issue, ok? No offense. But I have read enough of those battles - they lead nowhere ;)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Guys, stop it, please. This thread is not about your personal maths-abilities. We understand that you dont like each other. You have every right to do so, but please come back to the issue, ok? No offense. But I have read enough of those battles - they lead nowhere ;)
You've read enough? I've had more than enough of trying to referee them!

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I somewhat question the math of the people filling this survey out.

20 Billion. Consider that 1B - 1,000 million. So 20B = 20,000 million or 20,000 1m checks. Ahem. Where do you have that stored? On Vendors? That seems like a really high number to keep in cash except for a scant few. This poll is not about items - but about pure liquid cash/gold.

The people who say they have 100B or more I really think that they are not properly doing math. 100B = 100,000 1m checks. Even if you kept 1B per vendor - you'd need 100 vendors to hold it all. You certainly aren't storing 100,000 checks unless you have like 35 castles. I call BS on some of the upper end numbers here in pure cash.